• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

thepenguin55
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:43 AM)
thepenguin55's Avatar
This whole thing is terrible all around but as a fan of Rose McGowen itís terrible to hear she was raped too. Just goes to show what a spineless individual Ben Affleck is. When someone you care about tells you theyíve just been raped you donít just shrug your shoulders and move on with your day
broncobuster
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:43 AM)
broncobuster's Avatar

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

While I get everyone feared the wrath of Weinstein's lawyers, something should have been done sooner.

Thatís the problem. People tried doing something sooner. People failed because of said lawyers. People get blacklisted from the industry and serve as examples to keep quiet. Stories continued to circulate Ďunofficiallyí because nothing would stick but most wouldnít hear about them... until this past month.
NoMoreTrolls
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:44 AM)
NoMoreTrolls's Avatar
Sickening
Alligatorjandro
(10-11-2017, 04:46 AM)
Alligatorjandro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

$$$

Originally Posted by Boke1879

Money, influence and power.

Literally for a lot of people. It comes down to this. If I say something will my career be ruined? This goes for the victims and even non victims. You say something like that you better make sure you have the receipts because somebody like him will destroy you.

Originally Posted by The Driver

He produced a lottttttttt of shit, especially award winning shit that could raise any given personís profile tremendously. Even if he didnít do it for someone the mere prospect that he could do it gave him the confidence to pull this shit on people who wanted to break into the industry or didnít have a lot of experience.

Damn
The Driver
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:47 AM)
The Driver's Avatar
I gotta say though, the American pop culture purging of these fucks is very welcomed. Itís clearly shaking this industry to the core but itís the enema thatís been needed for a longggggg time.

If that stuff that Fieldman/Elijah Wood with the kids is true or the fuck that harassed Crews is bigger than him or ready to go down also I hope it all comes out now. Itís the only way to stop this shit from happening and move forward.
Opto
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:47 AM)
Opto's Avatar

Originally Posted by LegendofDragoonLives

Ok, well this is a fair point. I'm just getting caught up on the fuckery of Weinstein. :(

I mean, back in 97 he seemed very familiar with Weinstein's actions but of course he wasn't the star that he is now. And looking at IMDB, it doesn't seem like Harvey and Ben worked on any films together since 2001 (Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back).

And this isn't all on Affleck, but we do have to consider that if enough established men had supported these women earlier, this wouldn't have gone on as long as it did.
brianmcdoogle
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:47 AM)
brianmcdoogle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alligatorjandro

How does one man have so much power in Hollywood? Was everyone afraid of him?

He was a winner and pulled out all the stops for talent at times.

2003
óWeinstein was involved with four of the five Best Picture nominees: Gangs of New York, Chicago, The Hours, and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (on which he and his brother are credited as producers).

Biskind writes that after The Pianist won Best Picture at the BAFTAs, Miramax panicked. A Miramax publicist called The Pianist director Roman Polanski a "rapist" and "child molester." Then an almost 30-year-old deposition from Polanski's victim appeared on the Smoking Gun website. It's hard to say whether Miramax unearthed the document, but, according to Biskind, Miramax did have their people fan the flames.

Last edited by brianmcdoogle; 10-11-2017 at 04:50 AM.
metalslimer
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:48 AM)
metalslimer's Avatar
So both Aflecksare trash
Warm Machine
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:48 AM)
Warm Machine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anoxida

Isn't that what I said?

I quoted the wrong person. My bad
Darkman M
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:49 AM)
Darkman M's Avatar

Originally Posted by SCULLIBUNDO

Oh man, now we got Lindsay Lohan over here saying people need to leave Harvey alone. It's not fair, apparently.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/li...op-1202586659/

How many drugs are she on?
luchadork
Banned
(10-11-2017, 04:49 AM)
i wonder if a lot of people werent like 'sleazy producers and casting couchs are a real thing. and desperate actresses wanting to make it in hollywood will do whatever it takes. but he'd never _rape_ them.'
Famassu
(10-11-2017, 04:49 AM)
Famassu's Avatar

Originally Posted by borghe

You mean like the victims spoke up about it? Thereís a reason they didnít. And a reason he didnít. It was pointed out in the Terry Crews tweets. ďDo you like your paycheck? Do you like having work? Do you like being ostracized from all of that?Ē

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. Itís super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. Itís another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now youíre selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinsteinís out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who ďstood by and did nothingĒ did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or donít work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.

1) Excuses excuses. Of course it's different if the woman herself doesn't want to come forward, but let's cut with the dumb suffering artist act. Ben Affleck hasn't been "starving artists works at Reseda" level of actor in decades.

2) It's not just the fact that no one did anything, it's Affleck's "oh if only anyone knew this was happening" act that makes it even worse. Hollywood knew. This shit doesn't stay a secret. People might not talk publicly, but they talk privately and that shit spreads like a forest fire. He doesn't get to act as if he would've been the saviour if only someone had just powered up the bat-fucking-signal. He knew, didn't do anything but tries to come out on the other side looking like one of the good guys.
theofficefan99
Junior Member
(10-11-2017, 04:49 AM)
theofficefan99's Avatar
Rose must've felt soooo good writing that tweet. "lmfao you fucking enabler you're gonna try acting like a saint in public? Not on my watch."
VeeP
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:50 AM)
VeeP's Avatar

Originally Posted by Replicant

Wow, what a fucking prick. This Weinstein thing, I'm not surprised. A lot of people knew, but no one actor could stop him. So I'm not surprised Ben didn't step up. But this type of shit there's no excuse.
Warm Machine
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:50 AM)
Warm Machine's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Driver

I gotta say though, the American pop culture purging of these fucks is very welcomed. Itís clearly shaking this industry to the core but itís the enema thatís been needed for a longggggg time.

If that stuff that Fieldman/Elijah Wood with the kids is true or the fuck that harassed Crews is bigger than him or ready to go down also I hope it all comes out now. Itís the only way to stop this shit from happening and move forward.

Didnít Elijah Wood back down and say he had no proof just that he heard stories? Because in his case if he does know he has to report it to the police.
Seesaw15
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:51 AM)
Seesaw15's Avatar

Originally Posted by Replicant

Damn Thomas Wayne is gonna beat Bruce Waynes ass?
broncobuster
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:51 AM)
broncobuster's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Driver

I gotta say though, the American pop culture purging of these fucks is very welcomed. Itís clearly shaking this industry to the core but itís the enema thatís been needed for a longggggg time.

If that stuff that Fieldman/Elijah Wood with the kids is true or the fuck that harassed Crews is bigger than him or ready to go down also I hope it all comes out now. Itís the only way to stop this shit from happening and move forward.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, those will continue to go unnoticed unless someone as powerful is willing to combat them, and probably for some financially motivated agenda.

Harvey Weinstein certainly isnít alone in his behavior.
Korey
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:52 AM)
Korey's Avatar
What the fuck...

Why are so many Milkshake Ducks materializing these days?
Puck Beaverton
They're not my friends.
(10-11-2017, 04:52 AM)
Puck Beaverton's Avatar
All your favs enabled rapists
old manatee
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:52 AM)
old manatee's Avatar

Originally Posted by Famassu

1) Excuses excuses. Of course it's different if the woman herself doesn't want to come forward, but let's cut with the dumb suffering artist act. Ben Affleck hasn't been "starving artists works at Reseda" level of actor in decades.

2) It's not just the fact that no one did anything, it's Affleck's "oh if only anyone knew this was happening" act that makes it even worse. Hollywood knew. This shit doesn't stay a secret. People might not talk publicly, but they talk privately and that shit spreads like a forest fire. He doesn't get to act as if he would've been the saviour if only someone had just powered up the bat-fucking-signal. He knew, didn't do anything but tries to come out on the other side looking like one of the good guys.

oh shit
Jigorath
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:52 AM)
Jigorath's Avatar

Originally Posted by Alligatorjandro

How does one man have so much power in Hollywood? Was everyone afraid of him?

I think it's less about fear and more about indifference. Remember, this is the same industry that gave a guy who drugged and raped a child an Oscar and a standing ovation. Hollywood has shown over and over again that they simply don't care about women being abused in their industry.
Puck Beaverton
They're not my friends.
(10-11-2017, 04:53 AM)
Puck Beaverton's Avatar
Affleck really should have left off the "if only we knew". Such obvious bullshit.
exmachina64
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:55 AM)
exmachina64's Avatar

Originally Posted by Korey

What the fuck...

Why are so many Milkshake Ducks materializing these days?

The problem is that you think it's a recent phenomenon -- it's not.
Talladega Knight
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:55 AM)
Talladega Knight's Avatar
Isn't she referring to Robert Rodriguez in her tweet?
Shinypogs
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:56 AM)
Perhaps it's just because I've always lived below the poverty line but I can safely say that my morals come before money. I'm far from a perfect person and there's shit I give passes to that other people don't. However unless a victim asked me to stay silent on such a matter you're damn right I'd go back to eating mr noodles and living in a tiny apartment over living with the knowledge that I let a predator keep abusing others. No money or job or accolades from adoring fans is going to erase the gnawing guilt that'd be consuming me. Maybe you lose the legal fight but at least you tried and perhaps the accused stops now that there was a case against them even if they win it.

As a person who has also been a victim their silence is more understandable whether they were payed off or not.
LegendofDragoonLives
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:56 AM)
LegendofDragoonLives's Avatar

Originally Posted by Opto

I mean, back in 97 he seemed very familiar with Weinstein's actions but of course he wasn't the star that he is now. And looking at IMDB, it doesn't seem like Harvey and Ben worked on any films together since 2001 (Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back).

And this isn't all on Affleck, but we do have to consider that if enough established men had supported these women earlier, this wouldn't have gone on as long as it did.

You can't do anything vs those people unless you have a looooong fucking list of names willing to come forward which is never going to happen. There's people who constantly mention fuckery about Hollywood and nobody gives a fuck, not enough to make serious noise. This happens all the time. Only reason this is happening is someone around this cunt's power level wanted to drown him.

My issue with Ben is him pretending he didn't know. If he said something, it would have likely been mild rumors for a month until something else got everyone's attention and his career would have ended in 2001. Unless you get them on video on the act, there are no actors out there that can do much.

Originally Posted by Shinypogs

Perhaps it's just because I've always lived below the poverty line but I can safely say that my morals come before money. I'm far from a perfect person and there's shit I give passes to that other people don't. However unless a victim asked me to stay silent on such a matter you're damn right I'd go back to eating mr noodles and living in a tiny apartment over living with the knowledge that I let a predator keep abusing others. No money or job or accolades from adoring fans is going to erase the gnawing guilt that'd be consuming me. Maybe you lose the legal fight but at least you tried and perhaps the accused stops now that there was a case against them even if they win it.

As a person who has also been a victim their silence is more understandable whether they were payed off or not.

This isn't a case of just doing something my dude, the point is impunity. Did all of you people forget the banks that hold your money put the entire world on its knees and then Obama said here's some cash for fucking everyone in the ass (like any President in his place would have). They even came on private jets to get the money. When you get to a certain level of power, it's extremely difficult to take these people down. It's either by someone in their power or from some extreme circumstances.
Last edited by LegendofDragoonLives; 10-11-2017 at 05:00 AM.
- J - D -
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:57 AM)
- J - D -'s Avatar
If this is true then all 3 of DC's dceu trinity are played by assholes. Shieeet.
luchadork
Banned
(10-11-2017, 04:57 AM)
whoa....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMq6xDHBKwQ
joshcryer
it's ok, you're all right now
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
joshcryer's Avatar
The fucked up thing about this "Hollywood dynamic" is that a lot of people actually "consent" to get better gigs. Just wait. How many producers "date" new up and coming actresses? It's appalling. And they almost always divorce in a few years (if they get married and don't break up). In a few months or years more and more women are going to talk about the power relationship fucking them over because men held the power in the relationship and they "consented" to it.

Many are not coming forward because it would tarnish their image, because of that, even when we have this overwhelming outpouring against a single person. It's pervasive. It's not one guy. A lot more guys out there did this, and it will only get worse as more and more people come out about it. This is just the tip of the ice berg.
Not
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
Not's Avatar

Originally Posted by Korey

What the fuck...

Why are so many Milkshake Ducks materializing these days?

Information spreads quickly before it can be snuffed out.
Prototype Viktor
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
Prototype Viktor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Korey

What the fuck...

Why are so many Milkshake Ducks materializing these days?

They were on a time delay for when ppl thought social media would blow up
VeeP
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
VeeP's Avatar

Originally Posted by exmachina64

The problem is that you think it's a recent phenomenon -- it's not.

Yep. Look at someone like Woody Allen who's own kid came out against him. But Hollywood still supports him, many actresses and actors still work with him. Do they know? Hell yea they do. But as long as they can keep their career's, and get put in a movie by an award winning director they will ignore it.
LiK
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
LiK's Avatar
Holy shit, this is damning
Frankie Williamson
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
Frankie Williamson's Avatar
Asia Argento's directed rape scene in 1999:

https://twitter.com/AsiaArgento/stat...70645966114816
Laughing Banana
Weeping Pickle
(10-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
Laughing Banana's Avatar

Originally Posted by Not

Wow, truth really bugged you huh?

Wow, people really going to bat for Affleck here.

The idea that there all these factors "keeping" people from doing the right thing.

Patriarchy doesn't have a scratch on it.

The difference of treatment between Affleck and Terry Crews' thread is startling, even though in Terry Crews' case he explicitly stated that he chose not to do anything to the Hollywood Executive molesting him because he feared for his career.

I suppose a key difference here is that facebook post made by Affleck.

Edit: and this, wow, I just noticed it:

Originally Posted by Replicant

Last edited by Laughing Banana; 10-11-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Volimar
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:59 AM)
Volimar's Avatar

Originally Posted by - J - D -

If this is true then all 3 of DC's dceu trinity are played by assholes. Shieeet.

What did Cavill and Gadot do? Aside from Gadot defending Israel re: Palestinians.
Seesaw15
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:59 AM)
Seesaw15's Avatar

Originally Posted by luchadork

whoa....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMq6xDHBKwQ

Dude seems black out drunk. Sloppy af.
Intheflorsh
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:01 AM)
Intheflorsh's Avatar

Originally Posted by luchadork

whoa....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMq6xDHBKwQ

Eeeesh
AuthenticM
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:01 AM)
AuthenticM's Avatar

Originally Posted by luchadork

whoa....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMq6xDHBKwQ

this again lol

for those who have never seen this: this was a PR stunt. Ben didn't assault the woman.
Spyder_Monkey
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:01 AM)
Spyder_Monkey's Avatar
Is protecting Weinstein really worth it?
Anoxida
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:01 AM)
Anoxida's Avatar

Originally Posted by Laughing Banana

The difference of treatment between Affleck and Terry Crews' thread is startling, even though in Terry Crews' case he explicitly stated that he chose not to do anything to the Hollywood Executive molesting him because he feared for his career.

I suppose a key difference here is that facebook post made by Affleck.

Yep. Especially when it's not up to Affleck to out these stories about other people. His post IS fucking bullshit though.
UserNotFound
Junior Member
(10-11-2017, 05:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Shinypogs

Perhaps it's just because I've always lived below the poverty line but I can safely say that my morals come before money. I'm far from a perfect person and there's shit I give passes to that other people don't. However unless a victim asked me to stay silent on such a matter you're damn right I'd go back to eating mr noodles and living in a tiny apartment over living with the knowledge that I let a predator keep abusing others. No money or job or accolades from adoring fans is going to erase the gnawing guilt that'd be consuming me. Maybe you lose the legal fight but at least you tried and perhaps the accused stops now that there was a case against them even if they win it.

As a person who has also been a victim their silence is more understandable whether they were payed off or not.

It's easy to say how we all would act in such a situation, but Harvey Weinstein and the Weinstein company were the Oscar golden ticket. They had the ability to elevate any actors, mediocre or otherwise, into the global sphere. Miramax and Weinstein company were the kind of producers that could guarantee box office hits. If you're an up and coming actor and you wanted exposure and a shot at an Oscar, that was it.

There are many actors who would kill their families for that kind of opportunity. It's not just money.
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(10-11-2017, 05:03 AM)
Replicant's Avatar

Originally Posted by AuthenticM

this again lol

for those who have never seen this: this was a PR stunt. Ben didn't assault the woman.

Yeah, he just assaulted a barely-legal girl instead:

Boke1879
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:03 AM)
Boke1879's Avatar
Affleck's post is bullshit. He knew what was going on and I don't know why he tried to act like he didn't.

But it's not up to him to out something when someone confided in him.
Volimar
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:05 AM)
Volimar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boke1879

Affleck's post is bullshit. He knew what was going on and I don't know why he tried to act like he didn't.

But it's not up to him to out something when someone confided in him.

He could have been a hell of a lot more supportive though.
AuthenticM
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:05 AM)
AuthenticM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Replicant

Yeah, he just assaulted a barely-legal girl instead:

yes, but this doesn't have anything to do with his interview with AML.
Shauni
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:06 AM)
Shauni's Avatar

Originally Posted by Volimar

What did Cavill and Gadot do? Aside from Gadot defending Israel re: Palestinians.

Yeah, was kind of wondering that myself lol
Replicant
There's a duck in the room
There's a duck i-OWWWW
(10-11-2017, 05:06 AM)
Replicant's Avatar

Originally Posted by AuthenticM

yes, but this doesn't have anything to do with his interview with AML.

It's got everything to do with it. He's a hypocrite and that is why he can't say much about Weinstein. It'd point the attention to himself (or his brother). Too late now.
norm9
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:07 AM)
We gonna have lots of left leaners eating the rest of the hypocritical left, but it's necessary. In the words of Em, momma, Gotta clean out the closet...
Volimar
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:08 AM)
Volimar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Replicant

It's got everything to do with it. He's a hypocrite and that is why he can't say much about Weinstein. It'd point the attention to himself. Too late now.

I get AuthenticM's point though. If you're going to condemn Ben then do it for things he's actually guilty of. Otherwise you risk the real stuff getting washed out with the "fake news" stuff.

Thread Tools