• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The all-new, all-improved nightly Hot Shots Golf thread

shoplifter

OK, the purpose of this thread it to set up a nightly game (and to avoid confusion since there's already another thread.)

I'm planning to have a game set up every Su-Th at 10:30pm EST. Weekends are iffy, since people are out doing stuff. Now, I'm not saying I'll be in every night, but at least this will give some order to folks looking for a game with other GAF-ites.

Game info should always be (regardless of who sets it up):

Lobby 100
password: GAF (all caps, obviously)

Whoever sets the room up should take care to OPEN the room at 10:30, not before, to give people a few extra minutes before the 10 minute timer starts the game automatically.

Post scores when the match is over, and maybe we can do a multi-round tourney or something. Sunday can be the practice round on a given course, then Mo-Th can be the actual rounds that count. I dunno, it'd be kinda cool.

Not able to play every night? Who cares? Show up when you can. Your score may not count for that weeks event, but you'll still have fun right?

Monday Aug 23 - Aloha Beach, Spring

OPENING THE ROOM IN 5 MIN

shoplifter

Results from Monday -

Aloha Beach, Back Tees

1. Tenchir - +6
2. DMczaf - Retire - Timer (was at -8 at 14th)
2. Shoplifter - Retire - Timer (OB FIVE TIMES on 16th)

Tenchir wins by default! From now on, time will be set to normal.

tenchir

shoplifter said:
Results from Monday -

1. Tenchir - I have no idea
2. DMczaf - Retire (was at -8 at 14th)
2. Shoplifter - Retire (OB FIVE TIMES on 16th)

+6. I won by default!!! DEFAULT! DEFAULT! DEFAULT!

I really need to practice, two holes really killed me.

DMczaf

shoplifter said:
Results from Monday -

1. Tenchir - I have no idea
2. DMczaf - Retire (was at -8 at 14th)
2. Shoplifter - Retire (OB FIVE TIMES on 16th)

LOL fuck I went OB like 3-4 times on the 14th.

shoplifter

Tenchir, you won, so you pick the course for tomorrow night. Just make sure you've picked in plenty of time for folks to get a practice round in.

shoplifter

bjork said:
Normal instead of short? I dunno... I think I played DM on that, and it was a little too long.

We had 2/3 time out. Seriously, one mistake could actually be enough to knock you out on time. I'd much rather cut the chance of that so everyone can finish. An extra 20 per hole would help that, especially from the long tees since it might add an extra shot on the par 5s.

tenchir

WTH? You guys quit because you OBs? I did pretty bad on two holes, but I didn't quit.

Edit: Just wondering, are you guys using stock characters and beginner's club? I only unlocked two clubs and no new characters.

bjork

I have been playing as Phoebe, but now that I have T-Bone unlocked, I'll be using him a lot. For club/ball setup, right now I use the spin club and the beginner ball for the bigger contact area. Later on I want to change to something else, though. :)

shoplifter

tenchir said:
WTH? You guys quit because you OBs? I did pretty bad on two holes, but I didn't quit.

No, we didn't quit, that 100 second timer ran out. If it does the game decides that you're stalling and kicks you out of the entire match. This is actually kind of stupid. I'd much rather they give you a) a triple bogey, b) double of par or c) your score, whichever is higher when the timer runs out instead of kicking you out.

This is why from now on we're going to up the timer, since if you make a bad shot, it could put you in a situation with no good options for recovery. You then either a) make a poor recovery shot and end up OB or in water (line yet another shot, wasting precious time) or b) take it like a champ and make a really bad shot that might let you recover after 2 strokes.

Really, it shouldn't come into play that often, but there were several times during the course of our match that I nearly ran out of time. I finished a hole with 0sec on the timer once, and was down to 5 another time. This was on holes I actually did fine on, just trying to properly line up shots due to the wind and lie of the ball.

edit: I use Lin with Pinhole Club and Big Air ball. I also use my "full" drive on six of nine holes front/back. Usually both par 5s, and 4 of the par 4s. I tend to play aggressively, so when I mess one up, it tends to bite me in the ass on the tighter fairways.

Nester

All it took was a DSL modem firmware upgrade, and now HSG4 works online! I should be joining you guys in the coming nights now.

tenchir

bjork said:
I can play all night tomorrow. :)

Let's try to set up 3 games tomorrow starting at 10:30 EST, so that people who didn't make into the first game can get into the others. Assuming each game ends in 40 minutes([100sec X 18 holes] + 10 minute waiting in created game).

So the schedule for [100sec holes] game:

1st Game: 10:30PM-11:10PM EST

2nd Game: 11:15PM-11:55PM EST

3rd Game: 12:00-12:40AM EST

The winner for 1st or 2nd game will create the next game.

Edit: We can't really use this schedule anymore since we are going with normal time(150 sec?)

bjork

I'll be at the first, but not the second and third games. See you guys there.

edit - guess nobody's making the first game? :(

bjork

PROTIP: if you try to take the shortcut through the waterfall on Silk Road, use a driver... irons give you OBs and you end up shooting +7 one a par 5... -_-

shoplifter

GOD DAMN MOTHERFUCKER COCK ASS SHIT SON OF A BITCH BARBRA STREISAND

I got a damn network error and was promptly disconnected. This is fucking grating on my patience. X|

tenchir

Results from Tuesday -

Silk Road Classic

1. Tenchir - +2
2. bjork - +8 (got +7 in one hole)
3. Shoplifter - Cut at 15th (disconnected at +0)

I won by default again!

Default!
Default!
Default!

Teddman

I got this game and I'm down for some play. Anybody interested in a late night game?
I'm talking about 2 or 3 AM Pacific time.

Otherwise, I'll try to get my butt outta bed early one of these days for a 10:30pm eastern time game.

shoplifter

sp0rsk said:
hey i have this game, does anyone wanna play tonight around 10 at night?

We're playing at 10:30 est, just like every other night. :)

hopefully without a fucking network error

Teddman

shoplifter said:
We're playing at 10:30 est, just like every other night. :)

hopefully without a fucking network error
No kidding, I got hit by one of those this morning in my very second tournament.

It might have something to do with the slowness issues my ISP has been having lately. I was getting 350 kbs down earlier today, which is pathetic.

Teddman

Cool, see you then. Nine holes would be good for the first one, I don't have too much time tonight...

EDIT: Where y'all at?

EDIT #2: Oh well, nightly my ass. :p I gotta get dinner going, catch you guys another day...

Top Bottom