• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: you can now buy games via Nintendo.com, have them sent to your console

Whatever the fuck their account thing was that I had. I had a username and a password and all that shit. Apparently that's not an account or some other pedantic bullshit.

The point is, I don't have my games anymore.

There was no username/password or account anything on 3DS before NNID.

Only Club Nintendo, but that's a rewards program...

stuminus3

Banned
i have been lurking on gaf for some time, and everytime this topic came out, the need to to comment was to big to bear.

yeah, you still need to call to nintendo if you wii u brokes or get stolen, BUT BUT, you can unlink your NINID from the wii u, then you wait 24 hours to the servers to update, then you can dowload your NINID on any Wii U you want, i know is not as good as xbox or playstation, but the people still think that you need to call nintendo, and that's just a lie.
Yeah it's the same thing with my other iPad but instead of all this horseshit I just open the store and look at my purchase history and choose what I want and it downloads and I'm done.

Wait what?

rpmurphy

That's still not good enough. All I should need is my login and password to get access to my stuff, like with every other device I own. There shouldn't be a 24-hour waiting period. There shouldn't be a need to deactivate. I shouldn't need to download anything except the content itself.

The system.

Is.

Broken.
They need to make an account management portal, but everything else related to the account system appears to be in place already. *shrugs*

Whatever the fuck their account thing was that I had. I had a username and a password and all that shit. Apparently that's not an account or some other pedantic bullshit.

The point is, I don't have my games anymore.

You're probably thinking of Club Nintendo, their loyalty rewards system. And you can register your purchases using Club Nintendo, but it's 100% voluntary, and isn't by itself a proof of ongoing software ownership. (Prior to NNIDs, you could resell your system with all the digital content still installed and 100% usable, no unique login required.)

When 3DS was introduced, the NNID account system did not yet exist. 3DS had an on-device account very similar to the DSi and Wii. They only recently (in the last year or so) introduced a utility for linking your 3DS account to a NNID. And with a NNID, your purchases are registered first and foremost with your NNID account.

L~A

So, what we know so far

Buying digital SKUs of games already released: they can be sent directly to Wii U / 3DS
Pre-ordering digital SKUs of upcoming games: you receive a code within few hours after the release and you have to redeem it
Gifting: everyone can redeem a code someone else bought

@L-A: Since the web eShop recognised NNIDs of people outside US (complete with Italian / French messages), I suppose the service could launch first in US, and then elsewhere.

Also, a PR / Direct / DiPRect / Whatever must be coming soon. I mean, the first title using the preorder function (Fantasy Life) is coming on October 24th, 10 days from now.

Maybe yes, maybe not. They could well launch all this without warning, wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder how that eShop website L~A discovered ties into this...

Good shit. Hopefully it will extend to pre ordered titles too.

That's what I'm wondering. Since it's just for 1st-party games, maybe it's just something NoA's doing on their own, for people who don't have a NNID. Maybe the web eShop will only work with NNID?

Are you lying to me? NNID didnt exist on 3DS in 2010

To be fair... neither did the 3DS except for Nintendo employees ;)

Scum

man all I've done is praise the fuck out of preload but gah damn what a beautiful thing in this day and age.

I'll just wait til 12:01. That way, I can purchase Smash Bros. via the store on my smartphone and have it directly download to the WiiU instead of waiting for a pre order code to be emailed. Genius!!

Huehuehuehue!

Brashnir

They need to make an account management portal, but everything else related to the account system appears to be in place already. *shrugs*

They need to let people log into any compatible device at any time and access the things they own. Period.

Anything less than that is a non-functional system and will prevent me from ever buying anything on their storefront.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well... this at least means there is now a web based framework in place to put device activation and deactivation, aka the big huge blazing problem Nintendo has had digitally all along.

Einbroch

Banned
I'll just wait til 12:01. That way, I can purchase Smash Bros. via the store on my smartphone and have it directly download to the WiiU instead of waiting for a pre order code to be emailed. Genius!!

Huehuehuehue!

YOU'RE GAMING THE SYSTEM MAN

Pre-loading doesn't really matter to me. I'm usually up at 12am on Fridays, so I just purchase the game from the eShop and then go to bed. It's ready to play by the time I wake up (which doesn't help much anyway considering I then have to go to work)...

Plus I always use a DDP code or 2 which doesn't seem possible at all here.

L~A

Huehuehuehue!

Except the eShop will be down because everyone will try to do just like you, mwahahaha!.... Not even joking, actually, I could totally see that happening.

rpmurphy

They need to let people log into any compatible device at any time and access the things they own. Period.
It would be nice if the active device list were as loose as Google Play's, but unfortunately, it's not an industry standard, certainly not in the video game console business.

sntstbn

Neo Member
I would love to know if they accept credit cards from outside the US.

(I can see they require a US billing address, but many sites don't validate the billing address from foreign credit cards.)

epmode

It would be nice if the active device list were as loose as Google Play's, but unfortunately, it's not an industry standard, certainly not in the video game console business.

Literally every major videogame digital distribution provider has a better license transfer policy than Nintendo and it's been that way for more than a decade.

Brashnir

It's exactly the standard in the non-Nintendo console business. I can log into my brother's Playstation or Xbox consoles and play my shit on them. I've been doing it for almost a decade now.

L~A

(I can see they require a US billing address, but many sites don't validate the billing address from foreign credit cards.)

It'sl aready been confirmed international cards aren't accepted, sadly.

johnbone

Thank you, captain pedantic.

He's right though, if people would actually express their problems with the already present account system instead of simply claiming one doesn't exist, discussions would be much more straightforward and less confusing to the uninformed.

Say what you actually want, people!!

Use a Canadian eShop account. You can use international cards on that eShop as well as the Canadian version of this site (..I assume, since the US version wouldn't let me log in)

rpmurphy

It's exactly the standard in the non-Nintendo console business. I can log into my brother's Playstation or Xbox consoles and play my shit on them. I've been doing it for almost a decade now.
Oh if you mean in that sense, then yeah. I was talking about authorization of multiple consoles and being able to use purchased content on them without having to be logged in (which is my primary use case).

He's right though, if people would actually express their problems with the already present account system instead of simply claiming one doesn't exist, discussions would be much more straightforward and less confusing to the uninformed.

Say what you actually want, people!!

Most of the account posts are drive-by at best anyway. They know exactly what they're doing

Krejlooc

Banned

When I buy an Xbox 360 game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on Xbox 360 A, go to Xbox 360 B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on Xbox 360 B.

When I buy an Xbox One game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on Xbox One A, go to Xbox One B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on Xbox One B.

When I buy a Playstation 3 game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PS3 A, go to PS3 B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PS3 B.

When I buy a PSP game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PSP A, go to PSP B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PSP B.

When I buy a PSV game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PSV A, go to PSV B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PSV B.

When I buy a PS4 game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PS4 A, go to PS4 B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PS4 B.

When I buy a Steam game, I get infinite licenses - tied to my account on machines I can authorize at will. So long as my account logged on to any machine even once, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PC A, go to PC B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PC B.

When I buy an iOS game, I get infinite licenses - tied to my account on machines I can authorize at will. So long as my account logged on to any machine even once, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on iOS device A, go to iOS device B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on iOS device B.

When I buy a google play game, I get infinite licenses - tied to my account on machines I can authorize at will. So long as my account logged on to any machine even once, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on Android device A, go to android device B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on device B.

When I buy a Nintendo game, I get one license - tied to my account on only the machine I purchased it on, where only nintendo can authorize at will. To redownload a game onto another device, I have to call nintendo and hope they will authorize the move.

Buy game on nintendo device A, go to nintendo device B, log in to my account, call up nintendo, maybe, possibly play on nintendo device B.

Spot the outlier.

sntstbn

Neo Member
It'sl aready been confirmed international cards aren't accepted, sadly.

Thanks. I missed the many times it was mentioned before. Didn't think to search for "international".

Use a Canadian eShop account. You can use international cards on that eShop as well as the Canadian version of this site (..I assume, since the US version wouldn't let me log in)

I considered it. I decided to go with the US since I travel frequently there. And choosing Alaska in particular meant no sales tax.

Thanks. I missed the many times it was mentioned before. Didn't think to search for "international".

I considered it. I decided to go with the US since I travel frequently there. And choosing Alaska in particular meant no sales tax.

You can setup a Canadian account on your system just for the purpose of using the eShop. Any games purchased by either account, can be used by the other.

I recently created a US account and switched to it temporarily to redownload Hulu. Switching back and forth causes no problems.

johnbone

Name names. Who is "drive-by" posting who doesn't own these systems?

We get it Krejloc, you were unaware of Nintendo's (archaic) hardware-tieing policies, threw you 3DS away, and now want your digital games back. No need to shit up the entire thread with your diatribe.

When I buy an Xbox 360 game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on Xbox 360 A, go to Xbox 360 B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on Xbox 360 B.

When I buy an Xbox One game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on Xbox One A, go to Xbox One B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on Xbox One B.

When I buy a Playstation 3 game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PS3 A, go to PS3 B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PS3 B.

When I buy a PSP game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PSP A, go to PSP B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PSP B.

When I buy a PSV game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PSV A, go to PSV B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PSV B.

When I buy a PS4 game, I get two licenses - one tied to my console, one tied to my account. So long as my account is logged in to any machine, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PS4 A, go to PS4 B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PS4 B.

When I buy a Steam game, I get infinite licenses - tied to my account on machines I can authorize at will. So long as my account logged on to any machine even once, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on PC A, go to PC B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on PC B.

When I buy an iOS game, I get infinite licenses - tied to my account on machines I can authorize at will. So long as my account logged on to any machine even once, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on iOS device A, go to iOS device B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on iOS device B.

When I buy a google play game, I get infinite licenses - tied to my account on machines I can authorize at will. So long as my account logged on to any machine even once, I can infinitely redownload all my titles on that machine even if I didn't purchase from it.

Buy game on Android device A, go to android device B, log in to my account, and I can download my game on device B.

When I buy a Nintendo game, I get one license - tied to my account on only the machine I purchased it on, where only nintendo can authorize at will. To redownload a game onto another device, I have to call nintendo and hope they will authorize the move.

Buy game on nintendo device A, go to nintendo device B, log in to my account, call up nintendo, maybe, possibly play on nintendo device B.

Spot the outlier.

Do you think you can elaborate on this? Jk dude.

In all seriousness, it might not be a big deal to every person who owns a Nintendo system. This only becomes a problem if you own more than 1 of the same system or if your system breaks down. And even if your system breaks down, there is already a solution (although it takes a few days).

3bdelilah

Banned

Spot the outlier.

Despite the fact that I totally agree with you and Nintendo's stubbornness is just old fashioned as SHIT, I do have to say they've made things considerably easier with the recent (July) patch for a System to System Transfer. Never tried it before, will do it in the next couple of weeks, but it beats calling Nintendo, because that was absolutely ridiculous.

But it could be way better and despite it being more doable that first, I'm not satisfied until it's the same account management like PlayStation and Xbox.

Banned
Whoops. I switched my site to Canada since I was on the US for some reason. Preorder for smash Wii U worked.

Rich!

We get it Krejloc, you were unaware of Nintendo's (archaic) hardware-tieing policies, threw you 3DS away, and now want your digital games back. No need to shit up the entire thread with your diatribe.

It's not fair to criticize him for having legitimate concerns about Nintendo's terrible policies. As I've explained on her numerous times before (and can't be bothered to repeat), I had absolutely horrendous service via Nintendo UK customer support, and it was staggering just how terrible their entire system is. Long story short, it took me almost two months and properly issuing legal threats to get my legally purchased games back onto my Wii U system.

But there will always be defenders, so fuck it. Not worth arguing about.

epmode

Neat! And it's useful information for all of the crazies that claim Nintendo's solution is comparable to others. Might be nice to include GOG as well!

I'd actually like to go 100% digital on my Nintendo systems. I'd be happier, Nintendo would get significantly more revenue, everybody wins! But I will never, ever, ever, ever do it until they fix their awful license transfer policy.

On mobile, so be patient.

Xbox 360: purchased digital goods are tied to both the account buying them, and whatever system the account is logged into at that time. The good can either be used when the account is logged in, or on the system of purchase by any account. This led to a lot of game-sharing

Xbox One: one account is set as "home" where digital goods can be used by any account, even offline. An account can log into ONE other system at a time, and all their purchases are good for use as long as they're logged in. When they log out, no more

PS3: you can have two systems activated for content to be used. There is a time-based activation/deactivation limit, so you CANNOT just log into any system you want whenever you want. You need to deactivate previous systems accordingly

PSP: gets lumped under "handheld" by Sony, and you can have two handhelds active at once, be it two PSP, a PSP and a Vita, or two Vitas. Logging into another device means wiping that device to a factory state (if it already had an account on it) and juggling activation limits.

PS Vita: see above

PS4: same as Xbox One

johnbone

But there will always be defenders, so fuck it. Not worth arguing about.

Well if there weren't defenders, then there wouldn't be an "argument" in the first place, right? So is anything truly worth arguing about with that mentality?

edit: I remember that thread, I'm glad you got it sorted out! Nintendo really needs to step up their game...

Banned
Just preordered Captain Toad too. Yay! Preordering Nintendo games! Never saw the day. I wish Bayonetta 2 could be preordered, ah well.

Rich!

Well if there weren't defenders, then there wouldn't be an "argument" in the first place, right? So is anything truly worth arguing about with that mentality?

158-large.jpg

Krejlooc

Banned

The entire premise of this thread is false to begin with, and the reason it's false is precisely the same reason my complaints exist. They're not some completely unrelated issues. All my "diatribe" is doing is keeping this thread on the first page in the first place.

Further, if posts outlining specific issues are "shitting a thread up," then the opposite are just as much. "baby steps nintendo" and "there was an account system in 2012." Sounds to me like we're simply not allowed to criticize nintendo's online policy.

If I had a history of doing this, sure, maybe you'd have a point. I don't, however. But you're telling me a topic about digital distribution and linked purchases isn't a place to bring up criticisms of the account system? And that it's appropriate for users to make vague insinuations about whether or not people own these systems in the first place?

"You probably don't even own nintendo hardware!" shits up threads like this far more than actual, legitimate complaints.

Step by step. I can't believe neither Microsoft nor Sony have implemented game gifting yet. I often use it on Steam, but when I wanted to gift my girlfriend a couple of games on PSN I had to create a dummy PSN account and pass her the login credentials. Terribly inconvenient.

rpmurphy

Spot the outlier.
I own a number of apps from the Amazon App Store, which I downloaded to my Android devices. However, I need to be logged into the Amazon App Store in order to launch them. Google Play doesn't do this to me. If I own the device, have tied it to my account, and downloaded content off of my account to the device, I should not have to log in to be able to use them. It's stupid.

Top Bottom