• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Solo

Clearly a metro team is going to be the East's Stanley Cup finalist.

Any of Washington/Pitt/Columbus/Rags will beat any of Toronto/Ottawa/Boston/Montreal.

Hell, it could be an all Metro ECF easily too, as the Rags could beat any of Toronto/Ottawa/Boston/Montreal.

zroid

Banned
They could also play Ben Smith one more game and sign him to a 1-yr contract, but that would probably mean protecting Martin and losing one of Leivo/Leipsic.

I saw some speculation that they'd want to protect Martin. That seems... crazy to me...

but I can't claim to always understand what Lou and Babcock are thinking

Drew Stafford was only worth a sixth? I know he's a pending UFA and all, but he did score 30 goals once.

Then again so did Loui Eriksson

Solo

Drew Stafford would've played on our top 6

but we got Ott amirite

Why the fuck couldn't we get Stafford or Vrbata or even Vanek again? dat inept management

I'm not gonna lie, of the 5 new players, only 2 I've even heard of before the trades.

Cactus

Banned
I saw some speculation that they'd want to protect Martin. That seems... crazy to me...

Agreed. I guess we'll know the answer if Smith is inexplicably inserted into the lineup one more time this season.

Socreges

Banned
Might be reading in to Benning's muted words too much, but it sounds like Goldobin will get a shot soon. Looking forward to that, though I wonder if he's truly ready

Also he thanked Dorion. Indeed, thank you Noirod

Solo

So basically.....

Out - Desharnais, Pateryn, Ghetto
In - Benn, King, Ott, Davidson, Martinson.

Plugs for plugs.

jCwRFXh.jpg

Is it draft day yet

#entitlements

dom 🤔‏ @domluszczyszyn 23m23 minutes ago
More
Leafs get a 4th for taking on Eric Fehr's steep decline into the replacement level abyss. Also some guy named Frank Corrado was involved.

C52_eUgXEAA_qMH.jpg

Merguson

Banned

They could protect both Komarov and Martin.

We don't really have anyone else to protect for the forwards. Maybe Levio over someone.

Solo

Serious question....why are the Avs set on trading Landeskog and Duchene in the first place? Yes, the team sucks and needs a major overhaul, but I'd tend to think both players are part of the solution, not the problem. Am I wrong?

Socreges

Banned
Serious question....why are the Avs set on trading Landeskog and Duchene in the first place? Yes, the team sucks and needs a major overhaul, but I'd tend to think both players are part of the solution, not the problem. Am I wrong?
Because they can afford to trade a forward of it gets them some decent D

Solo

So the message the team got today is "Pacioretty and Galchenyuk better keep scoring or else we're boned, no reinforcements imminent".

Trading away your best players can help a rebuild, especially if they'll be too old when your prospects are in their prime. Also since everyone knows you're selling, the best return you'll get is from those players.

Just see Kessel.

Cactus

Banned

We don't really have anyone else to protect for the forwards. Maybe Leivo over someone.

These are the eight expansion eligible forwards who provide some sort of value to the organization. Only seven can be protected:

Kadri
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Brown
Leivo
Leipsic
Martin

Boyle could possibly be added to that list, but if the plan is to re-sign him, I'd figure the Leafs would wait until after the expansion draft to do it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So wait, did Tampa essentially just give away Filppula for nothing?

Filpulla&4th&cond 7th for Streit
Streit for 4th

Because they can afford to trade a forward of it gets them some decent D

Accurate. This team can succeed with them just the same as they can without them if they are traded away for what they're truly worth. It was never an issue of "must trade". Anyone who knows a damn thing about the team can see it but entitlement is a hell of a drug apparently.

Cactus

Banned
So wait, did Tampa essentially just give away Filppula for nothing?

Filpulla&4th&cond 7th for Streit
Streit for 4th

Pretty much. They traded a conditional 7th round pick for $5m of cap space next season. I guess they had to scramble a bit after Filppula nixed the trade to the Leafs.

zroid

Banned

We don't really have anyone else to protect for the forwards. Maybe Levio over someone.

like Cactus was saying if they protect Martin and Komarov, then someone else who fulfills the 40/70 requirement will need to be exposed. Fehr is now a given. Another could be Smith (if he's extended for another year)?

The 5 forwards they're definitely going to protect, imo, are JVR, Kadri, Bozak, Brown, and Leipsic

that leaves Komarov, Martin, Fehr, Leivo, Rychel, and Griffith.

Barring a signing or trade, 2 of Komarov, Martin, and Fehr will need to be exposed. They can then protect 2 of the remaining 4.

Parch

Any significant trade impact was made before today. The scrub shuffling today was just cap and expansion juggling with not much playoff implications. No cup was won today.

Top Bottom