• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one

Strongly considering grabbing Human Resource Machine and Alto's Adventure during this sale. Anyone have any opinions that might tip me in either direction?
Completely different games. HRM is a great programming puzzler from the devs of World of Goo and Little Inferno, retaining that charm while delivering challenging logic/technical puzzles. Alto is a great atmospheric runner, all about the navigating the gorgeously minimalist slopes and earning high scores

awp69

Some other notable sales other than the $.99 one:

Meganoid (2017) $1.99
Steamworld Heist $4.99
Grim Fandango Remastered $4.99
Dungeon Rushers $2.99
Demon's Rise 2 $2.99

wonderpug

Neo Member
Speaking of Alto's Adventure, have they announced a more specific date for when the sequel will be hitting this summer?

That's good, one of the few I have that needed to be updated still.

The others were Peggle Classic and XCOM (haven't heard anything about those getting updated). :(

Peggle at least has a serviceable F2P game that's available, it's not perfect (limited number of plays before you have to wait, and very difficult levels probably only there to convince people to spend money), but my girlfriend liked it enough to finish it without paying anything for it.

sam12

Can someone post a list of console like immersive games that actually play well on iPhone? Any good RPG, action or adventure games?

Can someone post a list of console like immersive games that actually play well on iPhone? Any good RPG, action or adventure games?
How do you define "console like"? As in the kind of game you'd find on console (ie 3D, advanced graphics, etc.), or by being top notch quality?

HotHamBoy

A ton, many of which are console and PC ports. It would be a very big list.

You are going to have to be more specific.

sam12

How do you define "console like"? As in the kind of game you'd find on console (ie 3D, advanced graphics, etc.), or by being top notch quality?

Top notch games that you find on consoles like PS, Xbox etc. Games like Final Fantasy, KOTOR, Gears, Halo, Tomb Raider etc. I know there are a lot of ports on iOS but I don't know if many of them play well or not

sam12

A ton, many of which are console and PC ports. It would be a very big list.

You are going to have to be more specific.

Any specific site you recommend visiting or should I just go by metacritic. Talking about games like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, KOTOR etc. I have seen lots of Final fantasies and Dragon Quests ported over but concerned about controls

awp69

Any specific site you recommend visiting or should I just go by metacritic. Talking about games like Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, KOTOR etc. I have seen lots of Final fantasies and Dragon Quests ported over but concerned about controls

I'd say the vast majority of JRPG ports like Final Fantasy as well as Bioware games like KOTOR control quite well on iOS. Those type of games are very menu driven to begin with so pressing menus on a touch screen can actually be better in many cases.

The Tomb Raider ports aren't so hot. Haven't been many ports of FPS games, which in general don't play as well with touch controls anyway. The Halo dual stick shooters Strike and Assault were ported and control quite well IMO.

There are lots of ports of indie games that are on consoles like Binding of Issac, This War of Mine, Steamworld Heist, Dust, Severed, etc. Those all play well IMO (especially Severed which seems made for mobile).

sam12

I'd say the vast majority of JRPG ports like Final Fantasy as well as Bioware games like KOTOR control quite well on iOS. Those type of games are very menu driven to begin with so pressing menus on a touch screen can actually be better in many cases.

The Tomb Raider ports aren't so hot. Haven't been many ports of FPS games, which in general don't play as well with touch controls anyway. The Halo dual stick shooters Strike and Assault were ported and control quite well IMO.

There are lots of ports of indie games that are on consoles like Binding of Issac, This War of Mine, Steamworld Heist, Dust, Severed, etc. Those all play well IMO (especially Severed which seems made for mobile).

Thank you! Will look into the indie games but will start with KOTOR. It's been a while since I played it on Xbox.

bonesquad

That's good, one of the few I have that needed to be updated still.

The others were Peggle Classic and XCOM (haven't heard anything about those getting updated). :(

Peggle at least has a serviceable F2P game that's available, it's not perfect (limited number of plays before you have to wait, and very difficult levels probably only there to convince people to spend money), but my girlfriend liked it enough to finish it without paying anything for it.

That's my fear though. EA/Popcap has no incentive to update the original Peggle. They would rather people download - and potentially spend money on - Peggle Blast. But even ignoring the F2P elements, Peggle Blast isn't nearly as good:( Thanks Apple.

Though I did grab Castles of Mad King Ludwig for $1 using my remaining credit. I've been meaning to try this game.

After years... I just got the 1536 tile in Threes!!!! Game over immediately after reaching that... I think I can stop playing this game now.

HotHamBoy

TouchArcade.com is the best IMO and I generally agree with their reviews. Their review archive is quite big and so is the forum. I recommend getting the app because it's easier to navigate and you can use the Watch List function to get flagged when games go on sale.

Here's some recommendations from me:

Ember
XCOM Enemy Within
Planescape: Torment
Legend of Grimrock
Space Marshalls 1 & 2
Implosion: Never Lose Hope
Planar Conquest
Rome: Total War
Titan Quest
Jade Empire
Oceanhorn
7 Mages
Warhamner 40k: Deathwatch - Tyranid Invasion
GTA Chinatown Wars/Vice City/San Andreas
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath
Deus Ex The Fall

Honestly, you don't really want a "console-like" game because the best mobile games are designed for mobile and its strengths. But the ones above are good-great.

There's a ton of great indies developed for mobile or ported from consoles/PC that are superb, though. They may not have epic scope but they offer equally rewarding experiences.

baconcow

Prison Architect is out (thank god for the soft launch, it's much much better now):
https://appsto.re/gb/612-fb.i

Crazy Taxi has been updated with 64bit and MFi controller support:
https://appsto.re/gb/9YcbH.i

Does anyone know what IAP those two game should have? IAP is listed, but doesn't say what. I'll probably download them, later, when I have the chance.

Edit:

Canadian Prices:
For Prison Architect iOS
  • Sandbox Mode $6.99
  • Full Game Bundle $20.99
  • Extra chapters $3.99

killercow

Does anyone know what IAP those two game should have? IAP is listed, but doesn't say what. I'll probably download them, later, when I have the chance.

Crazy Taxi used to be a premium game and some users are reporting some light ads, I'm guessing that there's an ad remover now but should already be included if you bought it before.

Prison Architect is free to try with an iAP of $15.99 for the entire game.

Oh and Pitta, Soulcalibur still works like a charm.

baconcow

Crazy Taxi used to be a premium game and some users are reporting some light ads, I'm guessing that there's an ad remover now but should already be included if you bought it before.

Prison Architect is free to try with an iAP of $15.99 for the entire game.

Oh and Pitta, Soulcalibur still works like a charm.

$15.99? Those prices I saw must be old or for another country. I have this on PC so don't really need the story mode. How much is the sandbox unlock? Thanks.

baconcow

Thanks. I went and grabbed the charger iPad and downloaded it. I updated my post with the Canadian prices. They are not too bad, given our dollar versus the USD. $6.99 CAD for architect mode is descent, given the amount of content. I did some of the stories on PC and they seem more of a tutorial for the sandbox game. Is the sandbox game the same as on PC?

killercow

Thanks. I went and grabbed the charger iPad and downloaded it. I updated my post with the Canadian prices. They are not too bad, given our dollar versus the USD. $6.99 CAD for architect mode is descent, given the amount of content. I did some of the stories on PC and they seem more of a tutorial for the sandbox game. S the sandbox game the same as on PC?

From my limited experience it should be. With controls that features some shortcuts found on the console version. Don't know about max prison size though.

Not a game but the discount for Things 3 is ending very soon (I think today). Best task manager on iOS/ macOS imo.

Also FTL got 64 bit support.

tariniel

Completely different games. HRM is a great programming puzzler from the devs of World of Goo and Little Inferno, retaining that charm while delivering challenging logic/technical puzzles. Alto is a great atmospheric runner, all about the navigating the gorgeously minimalist slopes and earning high scores

I ended up buying both of them, along with Severed. Thanks! Now I even have a backlog on iOS. I think I will play Severed first.

Yeah, unfortunately, looks like they converted it to F2P. Not sure how bad it is but the game itself looks good.
According to TA, it's a lot like some of Nitrome's games: Watch ads for gems, gem doubler, and various gem packs that aren't really expensive.

tariniel

Oh man, I played Severed for about an hour last night and I guess I'm not used to holding my phone like that, it made my wrists ache a bit.

What I played though was really fun so far, it gets pretty hectic when there are enemies on 3 sides and you're frantically trying to either block or prevent attacks. I feel like I'm missing loads of secrets, I went through some dungeon that had Sun/Moon gates and I couldn't figure out what to do so I just moved on.

I'm happy with it so far other than the wrist issue.

awp69

According to TA, it's a lot like some of Nitrome's games: Watch ads for gems, gem doubler, and various gem packs that aren't really expensive.

Got the gem doubler and am really loving it. Tons and tons of loot. Great monster variety. Extemely polished.

Haven't died yet but don't think it's a true roguelike with any kind of permadeath. More of a turn-based dungeon crawler.

Haven't felt any need to watch ads yet. Reading the TA thread, it sounds like it's pretty balanced with just the gem doubler and that's what the dev intended.

Highly recommend it from what I've played.

Pachimari

Brakara

On the complete other side of he spectrum, anyone who has any fondness for brick breakers needs to check out Arkanoid vs Space Invaders. The combination of the two works great together and mechanics like being able to swat back the bullets with the paddle going up and down make it a blast to play.

Picked this up today and totally agree. Really fun game.

HotHamBoy

That new KOF 98 game blows. Sure ain't no Metal Slug Defense.

Avoid.

Massive update for The Pinball Arcade, lots of tables tweaked and got new flipper physics. Added Paragon.

GuyKazama

That new KOF 98 game blows. Sure ain't no Metal Slug Defense.

Avoid.

Massive update for The Pinball Arcade, lots of tables tweaked and got new flipper physics. Added Paragon.

Don't update Pinball Arcade. Pinballarcadefans.com is reporting that a bunch of tables are crashing with this new update.

Oynox

Does anyone know if the latest Lode Runner update adds microtransactions or ads? It is titled version 1.0.0 and the update button has a small + sign just like "get" apps with IAP.

Top Bottom