• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Star Wars Battlefront II game faces further backlash

See you in half a year if you want to unlock everything else

While I understand that the p2w structure is bs, and locking fan favorites like Luke and Vader behind ridiculously high credit walls is also anti-consumer, I don’t understand why it’s such a bad thing to have to play the game to unlock everything.

We’re you able to unlock every Kingdom in Odyssey from the minute you left Bonneton? EA is a shitty company, but they are a company, who are answering to their shareholders, who want cash. It’s not in our best interest I agree, but to complain about taking a long time to unlock everything in a game is asinine.

wvnative

Disney didn't create Star Wars, they purchased it. They give zero fucks about anything except $$$$ from Star Wars.

But they own it, it belongs to them and it is being treated as if Disney did create it. They know a bunch of kids will get this game for Christmas and they don't want the fury of angry moms.

But they own it, it belongs to them and it is being treated as if Disney did create it. They know a bunch of kids will get this game for Christmas and they don't want the fury of angry moms.

I find your lack of faith in Disney's greed disturbing. They are shoving porgs down our throats for Christ's sake.

wvnative

While I understand that the p2w structure is bs, and locking fan favorites like Luke and Vader behind ridiculously high credit walls is also anti-consumer, I don’t understand why it’s such a bad thing to have to play the game to unlock everything.

We’re you able to unlock every Kingdom in Odyssey from the minute you left Bonneton? EA is a shitty company, but they are a company, who are answering to their shareholders, who want cash. It’s not in our best interest I agree, but to complain about taking a long time to unlock everything in a game is asinine.

Nobody is saying playing the game to unlock stuff is bad.

You should be able to unlock everything within a reasonable time though, 4500 hours isn't reasonable.

You should be able to unlock everything within a reasonable time though, 4500 hours isn't reasonable.

In competitive games you also generally unlock side-grades or cosmetics, not straight power upgrades.

BANGS

Banned
Yeah fuck anti-smoking!
One loot box with cancer, por favor! I'll pay double!

Damn strait, this is AMERICA!!!

But seriously if you wanna convince people that something is bad and they probably shouldn't do it, be honest. Dishonesty will only lead to resentment, which leads to spite...

shira

There is a difference between locking and stonewalling content.

The choice that EA has made is intentionally frustrating and most people who do not game for a living will just pay to unlock or dump the game.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I find your lack of faith in Disney's greed disturbing. They are shoving porgs down our throats for Christ's sake.

Can I walk into a store and buy a porg? Or do I buy a box with a 1% chance to get a porg and a 99% chance to get a shitty salacious crumb plushie?

Loot boxes are fucking horrible for reasons beyond just buying something.

Can I walk into a store and buy a porg? Or do I buy a box with a 1% chance to get a porg and a 99% chance to get a shitty salacious crumb plushie.

Loot boxes are fucking horrible for reasons beyond just buying something.

You take that back about Salacious Crumb...

Yeah, no, they're dragging down gaming as a whole for all of us.

I'm of that mindset as well, but I'm not arguing with someone who doesn't regret the purchase for their own reasons. Seems a fruitless exercise debating 'tastes' and what constitutes fun. Do I think the way this game has been handled is shitty? From MY end....absolutely.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You take that back about Salacious Crumb...

image_da9047cc.jpeg

Disney also has genuine love of their IP and don't want it to be associated with children using their IP to gamble.

I'm curious as to what Disney's actual position is on this game. I doubt they'll make any public statements against EA given they're in business together on the IP, but I can't imagine they're especially thrilled with the feedback so far.

notacat

At this point, i'm just seeing this all as a viral marketing attempt.

Queue it up so everything is 'fixed' enough that people think they've somehow won. Now that everyone's heard about the upcoming game at this point, EA will make more in sales than they did with the vastly more fun, superior BF1 a few years ago.

BANGS

Banned

Queue it up so everything is 'fixed' enough that people think they've somehow won.

There is certainly some validity to this claim, although I really doubt that was their master plan from the beginning...

Tosyn_88

This issue has been brewing since the PS3 erase hasn't it - The concept that a company will insert microtransactions into a full priced game, it's a very weird trend that the companies are definitely trying to enforce.

I am aware that the cost of making games has climbed up, but can we get an honest and independent research into how much a company needs to break even. Is the price model of 50 bucks not working anymore? Is it a case where the company isn't spending smartly? Is it the advertising cost? Is it staff allowances that's climbed?

I know we all want to kill EA but they aren't the only ones doing this. There's a growing trend of other developers adding microtransactions into full priced games. There needs to be an honest open case for finding fairness both on the part of the companies and customers.

JP

I wouldn't be too surprised to see this changing next year, I think what will change is that we'll be back to season passes and having to pay for new levels. They may change that with this game but I could se them having issues when they've been very open about new maps being free and I think people would rightly have issues if they were to change that for people who have already bought the game.

Fuz

Banned

Queue it up so everything is 'fixed' enough that people think they've somehow won. Now that everyone's heard about the upcoming game at this point, EA will make more in sales than they did with the vastly more fun, superior BF1 a few years ago.
There is certainly some validity to this claim, although I really doubt that was their master plan from the beginning...

You're wrong in doubting that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...ork_in_electronic_media_pr_ill_tell_you_what/

I really have no problem with loot crates for costumes/visual effects, but once it gets into the pay to win realm, its too much.
A pay to win mechanic should be poison for any game. I hope devs pay more attention to this in the future.

Fbh

I remember the first time I jumped into the fray, buying an unlock of draft class reports in EA's college football game on the 360 for a buck or two. I weighed the options - eight hours of dull grinding vs. a buck or two - and went to the dark side.

See? This right here is the problem. My biggest problem with microtransactions isn't that they exist and it's not even the pay 2 win element they sometimes have (though that's bad too).

It's the fact that they have started to have an increasing influence over game design. Microtransactions have started to encourage devs to include more "dull grinding" in their games because making progression more boring and time consuming will encourage people to spend on microtransactions to move along faster.

If battlefront 2 had a fun and rewarding progression system I honestly wouldn't mind it having optional loot boxes on the side, even with the P2W element. But instead, the entire multiplayer has been built around a F2P style progression system where chance and "dull grinding" are at the core.

I'm afraid to see more and more changes like this. Devs/publishers including more grinding, more repetition and slowing down the pace in order to push for microtransactions.

Not Drake

Glad the news about the game is getting around in the mainstream media. I was afraid the manufactured story about a dev getting death threats would sway the attention from EA's disgusting business model to blaming "gamer culture" for things.

Steroyd

Yes YES, let the hate flow through the mainstream.

It was only a matter of time before someone went overboard to the point that this will get regulated, I'm surprised at how fast we're going in this direction though given that the lootbox bullshit only got cranked to 11 in the second half of this year.

I’d like to see the data that states that it takes 4500 hours. What’s reasonable for one person may not be reasonable for another. Is 10 hrs reasonable? 20 hours? At what point does something become unreasonable and who are we to say that something is unreasonable.

About 100-150 is probably my limit. And if it takes more then I won’t unlock everything and that’s fine.

Jezan

Why don't they just charge for the character/skin,weapon the player wants with no bullshit?

I know it's complicated becuase p2w, but Riot does it nicely with just charging realmoney for the skins in LoL, and you can even get random skins from playing which works kinda like a lootbox but you get them by playing normally, you can also buy characters with real money if you want or with in-game currency, and getting that currency for a character is not hard.

gioGAF

I won't be happy until this whole loot crate nonsense is properly labelled as GAMBLING and slapped with an Adults Only rating.

The Stig

Disney also has genuine love of their IP and don't want it to be associated with children using their IP to gamble.

They'll only do something if the "gambling" label sticks. If it doesn't they will ride that money train, guaranteed.

I won't be happy until this whole loot crate nonsense is properly labelled as GAMBLING and slapped with an Adults Only rating.

me too. a line must be drawn, and this game held up as an example of what NOT to do

Fuz

Banned
Why don't they just charge for the character/skin,weapon the player wants with no bullshit?

I know it's complicated becuase p2w, but Riot does it nicely with just charging realmoney for the skins in LoL, and you can even get random skins from playing which works kinda like a lootbox but you get them by playing normally, you can also buy characters with real money if you want or with in-game currency, and getting that currency for a character is not hard.

LoL is also F2P.

-How the hell is a 4 hour long campaign is acceptable?

-What the hell is wrong with you? How can you defend loot box practices? Just because it looks good and it's written Star Wars in the front?

Someone said, that the developers are all about making profit, well why not making a good game with enough content, you can't go wrong with doing quality stuff.

They also have a family-friendly image to maintain. Propping up a game that encourages children to gamble runs counter to that. It's a smart strategy if they can get enough people spreading the message.

Olengie

I can imagine that if they make a Star Wars RPG, it will have lootcrate and have light saber colors locked in them

WaterAstro

It's ironic that EA spent an E3 saying how they listened to customers following the first Battlefront debacle, and now it's even worse.

Bad mainstream press about the lootboxes greed is a nice thing. I hope for much more echo on that. Unfortunately, fanbois gonna buy and defend anyway, and also buy stuff with microstransactions, so we don't stand a chance. But maybe we can at least postpone the slow death of non-p2w games.

Hinedorf

Banned
I hate to say it, but is there any game more popular in the news than Battlefront 2.

It may be bad press but it's getting so much press I feel like there's no way to prevent what we all know is going to happen which is EA making a grand profit to never change their practices.

Dr. Mario

Neo Member
The licensing fee Disney asks for Star Wars is probably so high that they fully realize any game company needs lootboxes to become profitable on their property. That's why they're sitting on their hands through all this.

But I agree, making Disney = addicting children to gambling, stick, is going to get some real action going real fast.

Top Bottom