• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I bought Destiny - The Collection now, would I have fun?

Don't underestimate the posts recommending playing with friends. It is as significant to enjoying Destiny as any online multiplayer game with a focus on the social aspects.

Without a doubt. The Destiny Collection now is one of the best values in gaming. Even if you play just the story missions, the strikes, and some PvP you'll easily get at least 40-50 hours out of it

Also you don't have to have friends to enjoy it. I have 350 hours in Destiny and at least half of that was playing solo

vctor182

I don't understand how can there be destiny solo players here in GAF if there's a really big and helpful community in the OT. We are already at 44 OT so we are very active, and yesterday's update made a lot of players return. I'd say that if you buy the collection now and join our DGAF community you will have tons of fun.

I've played a lot of Destiny over the years, and I haven't had any issues playing solo. Most of my first experiences were playing the game by myself, until I joined the DGAF community. I've played a lot of Crucible with them. They're good people.

I've done the story about 4 times, but if you ever want some help feel free to add me on PS4 (GustyGardens). I might recommend to play solo, or with another newcomer, if only because you miss out a bit on the frenetic and tense fights that happen when you're barely strong enough to complete the mission if you play with a high level player.

soultron

Banned
As someone who's taking a break from D1 (finished Rise of Iron, kind of burned out TBH) I'd say wait until Destiny 2 and start there. Weapons and inventories won't transfer and I think that's such a big part of Destiny's progression.

On the other hand, the end-of-game celebration that's happening right now will probably provide a nice spike in the active playerbase, meaning you could find groups to do the best content (nightfall strikes, raids, trials of osiris PVP, etc.) with. Destiny-GAF is also a super friendly and helpful community to find folks to play with, so don't hesitate to stop in the Community thread if you're going to jump in!

Yes, but it's absolutely only fun with friends/online buddies.

Playing single player will make you cry with boredom.
Ehhhh I mean, I want to say 300 of my 790 hours in destiny was me by myself. Sometimes friends aren't on and you got a laundry list of things in game you got to do.

3 man fireteam suck btw

I'm always the nice guy when the 4th person hops on so they are not playing alone. I can always just run crucible or whatever.

Big Nikus

I'd like to play Destiny 2 but can't bring myself to skip the first one, and I don't have a current gen console :/
There's a chance I'll grab a PS4 this year so perhaps I'll be able to experience it that way before Destiny 2 hits. The sad thing is that I won't be able to play with friends, they are all on Xbox One.

I'd like to play Destiny 2 but can't bring myself to skip the first one, and I don't have a current gen console :/
There's a chance I'll grab a PS4 this year so perhaps I'll be able to experience it that way before Destiny 2 hits. The sad thing is that I won't be able to play with friends, they are all on Xbox One.
So just get an Xbox One. Or better yet hold out for Scorpio. This is one game you'll rather play with friends.

Yes IF you're willing to seek out people to play with and enjoy a bit of grinding (though the grind isn't bad these days).

You can level up to something like 390 in a couple days without even using LFG or raids, since they raised the reward light cap on a lot of lower level activities with AoT. The grinding is pretty much non-existent, I would say gearing up a character take even less time than Diablo 3.

Big Nikus

So just get an Xbox One. Or better yet hold out for Scorpio. This is one game you'll rather play with friends.

There are more exclusives that interest me on the PS4 but yeah, if the Scorpio is good and if I have the budget I may buy one. I miss the good old days with my friends playing the Halo games on the 360... feels like it was a century ago lol.

The guy that sold my his xbone like 5 years ago must have reactivated his account, cause I keep having free games pop up in my library.

Just realized Destiny is one of them so this is a great time for this thread to pop up. I'll have to try it out

Chief_Mitch

Absolutely!! Destiny is one of the most fun games out from this generation IMO. And if you can play it with some mates as well, all the better! Some of the best content is enjoyed most with friends where possible. :D

How many friends do you need with the game to enjoy it?

A fireteam, which you can play with in most of the game is 3 members. I'd say playing regularly with 1 or 2 friends is perfect.

Perineum

I think there is something there for almost any kind of player.

SP content is meaty now, and the Taken King story stuff is the best content in the game.

Co op Wise the game REALLY shines. If you have friends, use reddit, or GAF to form groups you will be in heaven.

PvP, while not the best available on the market, is still one of the most unique and tight feeling available. Bungie gets gunplay.

Hop in.

MrBlonde

I bought destiny at launch but didn't put much time in. Sold it and was thinking about buying it again recently but I'm just going to hold off for destiny 2 and actually stick with it this time

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think there is something there for almost any kind of player.

SP content is meaty now, and the Taken King story stuff is the best content in the game.

Co op Wise the game REALLY shines. If you have friends, use reddit, or GAF to form groups you will be in heaven.

PvP, while not the best available on the market, is still one of the most unique and tight feeling available. Bungie gets gunplay.

Hop in.

All of this.

Thanks for all of this! I've decided I'm going to grab The Collection today and dive in.

Glad to hear it! Welcome aboard!

Yes, go for it. I stopped playing 3 months after TTK and never got RoI but there's no denying you'll get your money's worth out of this game. Do it just to experience Vault of Glass please, you will not regret it.

rataven

Yes, give it a shot! Destiny is easy breezy good clean fun. And it IS better with friends, but you will easily make some if you don't have any already. Destiny has the nicest community I've ever been a part of.

Top Bottom