• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

It took an extra what, two body shots to finish somebody off if they were doing that? That and stuff like the Gandhi hop were always some of the neatest things to me, people figuring out how to manipulate hitboxes and aim assist to their advantage. It was simple to perform, but recognizing when to do it, doing it, and getting to safety was something that helped to separate good players from average ones.

Two extra body shots in a highly competitive match is a HUGE deal. It could be the difference between someone getting a flag cap or not or even getting a kill on the last person on a team so you can get all 4 down. All this because you looked down.

I don't know who this guy thinks he is. He's supposed to be the creative director of halo 4 and he's being a total douche.

ui6RT.jpg

Is he saying that they are making progress with the changes in Halo 4?

lol

Havok

Two extra body shots in a highly competitive match is a HUGE deal. It could be the difference between someone getting a flag cap or not or even getting a kill on the last person on a team so you can get all 4 down. All this because you looked down.
We're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think this kind of emergent gameplay is totally cool and I'd rather have that simple interaction of mechanics be there than a completely artificial one layered on top like we got with Reach and will likely get with 4.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think this kind of emergent gameplay is totally cool and I'd rather have that simple interaction of mechanics be there than a completely artificial one layered on top like we got with Reach and will likely get with 4.

Yeah I guess. But I'm not opposed to stuff like that at all. I am a fan of stuff like super exploding, flag running, trick jumps, long jumping on man cannon, etc. I like it over stuff like armor abilities as well. I just hate that one specific thing lol.

Booshka

Yeah I guess. But I'm not opposed to stuff like that at all. I am a fan of stuff like super exploding, flag running, trick jumps, long jumping on man cannon, etc. I like it over stuff like armor abilities as well. I just hate that one specific thing lol.

Strongsiding is definitely a skill, I was going to say how it's easy to do, which it is, but navigating the level while looking at the floor requires awareness and talent.

I don't know who this guy thinks he is. He's supposed to be the creative director of halo 4 and he's being a total douche.

ui6RT.jpg

So if that kid isn't afraid he gets to the end of the log, yaaaay.

I mean, he's right, but what did he expect from discussion boards? When you throw out vague info, people are going to say whether they like it or not. Many silly conclusions will be jumped to, but without formulating opinions people would just be twiddling their thumbs waiting for new info, right?

El_Chino

BECAUSE HALO!

Seriously I don't see too much wrong with that tweet. Then again I am content with the news we have gotten so far.

I for one am not going to complain until i actually play the game and also i'm fine with change, it's all about adapting and accepting for me.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If that Twitter picture was posted by Josh Holmes in any rude fashion (which I highly doubt), he has no right to be upset by our reactions (which I don't think him or anyone at 343 actually is).

Fact of the matter is, we got burned by Reach. Badly. So badly that it's hard to accept almost all change. It's also hard to trust a new developer. I understand that change is necessary for a game franchise to survive, especially with the overcrowded FPS market. Hell, I'll even accept this change. It's just that the way Game Informer relayed this new info to us, with no clarification at all gave us a little bit of a shell shock. I'll admit, my hype went from through the roof to cautiously optimistic.

At this point, I guess all I can do is wait for that podcast.

Although I really think that at some point a full-length video of a multiplayer match is going to have to be released. Whether Microsoft likes it or not, really. Explanation on all of this new info has to happen soon, or people are gonna become more volatile then they were before.

I should also add, the way this info has been presented, mainly the order of it, seems to not make sense. Why would the first thing you talk about not be the new changes? Having your first look be "classic Halo" then composing an exclusive reveal that basically says "yeah, we changed a LOT" is weird to me.

edit: How is it already 1 in the morning? geez.

So, whats up with the three icons to the left of the frag grenade in Halo 4? Are they the other grenades? It seems the number count for them goes 2, 8, 8, 2.

ui6RT.jpg

I don't think hes being a douche, in fact, I think he has a point. I highly doubt he posted that in a malicious manner.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
He's not being a douche. Everyone is just so fucking butt hurt lol.

Also, I don't agree that the general consensus is that Reach sucks and is a bad game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
He's not being a douche. Everyone is just so fucking butt hurt lol.

Also, I don't agree that the general consensus is that Reach sucks and is a bad game.

Compared to other Halos, I think it's weaker, but compared to pretty much every other non-halo shooter, it's the best. When everything works correctly, it's brilliant. The game adds a lot of things that I like, such as the Active Roster, weapon/shield feedback, overall audo design, etc.

However, Reach brought a lot of things to the table that I dislike extremely: namely armor abilities, bloom, and removal of bleedthrough. It overcomplicated the formula, and it's well known that the more variables you add to a game, the harder it is to balance it all. Bloom made a lot of the weapon sandbox horribly inconsistent. The removal of bleedthrough was just plain ridiculous. If I put 3 DMR shots in to someone as they sprint over to melee me followed by both of us meleeing the other, he should die. We shouldn't both be shieldless with the same amount of health with the advantage going to the other guy because he melee'd first.

Overall, I like Reach. Lol I play it pretty much everyday.

daedalius

Ok guys, I have a much bigger problem than everything you are all QQing about.

When MC gets attacked by elites on the FUD, he says 'I thought we had a truce with the Covenant,' to Cortana.

He only knows there was a truce with the Elites and those loyal to them! never with the whole Covenant! What a terrible oversight this is!

GhaleonEB

Just notched my final Firefight Commendation: Grounded is now Gold (2500 vehicle kills). Onyx is 6,000. I don't think that is going to happen.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Ok guys, I have a much bigger problem than everything you are all QQing about.

When MC gets attacked by elites on the FUD, he says 'I thought we had a truce with the Covenant,' to Cortana.

He only knows there was a truce with the Elites and those loyal to them! never with the whole Covenant! What a terrible oversight this is!

MrUFJ.gif

Nice catch.

monome

You cannot start with snipers whenever you want. (unless you are playing a sniper mode)
The weapon drops are not "random." They are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is variation, however. Map control will still be key, but yes, changed. Custom games will be heavily customizeable, and initial playlists will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with stacksof lists, but there will be variety for different tastes.

when you say there won t be a shitload of playlists, I want to kiss you, wet.

Kuroyume

Banned
So many people tried to play H3 again it realized how awful it is. Told you so. Always been awful.

Btw, it's been a while since I played Reach and I was wondering how Sprint works. Do you have to keep pressing the button down to sprint or is it like camo where one button push turns it off and on? I'd prefer that all we have to do is push the button once to sprint. Hell, I'd like if there was a setting were it could be automatic. Also, they should consider sprint activating when you click the analog down instead of a button.

It seems to me like he's portraying anyone who's concerned as a cry baby.

There's being concerned and then there's blowing things out of proportion.

Or

That could just be his kid lol

Ideal halo to me is basically classic halo 1/2. simple sandbox, no gimmicks like AA's or equipment, hitscan, no underpowered weapons, fast but balanced gameplay.

Halo 3's problem to me is that all the weapons are too weak, Reach's problem is that the AA's are too overpowered in the sandbox
I've been waiting for a Halo game that resembled either 1 or 2, or both, and Halo keeps going farther and farther away from them. Halo3, ODST, Reach. And now it appears Halo4 will be just as radically different. Blarg. Man I'm so tired of hearing about how games need to evolve... That's such a made up pile of crap. They could have made Halo:CE part 2 and it would have been every bit as successful as Halo2, maybe even more so. They could have made Halo 2: part 2 and it would have been every bit as successful as Halo3, likely more so. Maybe the series would appear stagnant to non-halo fans, but does that even matter when it's people who don't like the Halo in the first place? If you keep changing things and adding stuff to the pot, it eventually becomes a watered down mess that has no semblance of its former self. I think that's where Halo has gotten to at this point. No consistency at all. That's why fans are leaving. The games aren't as good anymore, which has nothing to do with it being outdated, old, stale, stangnant or whatever you want to call it.

EDIT:
Btw, it's been a while since I played Reach and I was wondering how Sprint works. Do you have to keep pressing the button down to sprint or is it like camo where one button push turns it off and on? I'd prefer that all we have to do is push the button once to sprint. Hell, I'd like if there was a setting were it could be automatic. Also, they should consider sprint activating when you click the analog down.
Tap sprint once and it stays in effect until you stop moving, or until you tap sprint again.

So many people tried to play H3 again it realized how awful it is. Told you so. Always been awful.

Btw, it's been a while since I played Reach and I was wondering how Sprint works. Do you have to keep pressing the button down to sprint or is it like camo where one button push turns it off an on? I'd prefer that all we have to do is push the button one to sprint. Hell, I'd like if there was a setting were it could be automatic. Also, they should consider sprint activating when you click the analog down.

I almost always say that H3 is awful when people act like it was the promise land. Each time I attempt to play it only confirms it for me.

You just have to press sprint once to activate sprint in Reach. Due to sprint being a default ability in 4, I wouldn't be surprised if the control scheme (or at least an optional one) has sprint on the left stick click.

Ramirez

lol, still find it hilarious that people act like 2 & 3 were really THAT different. Aside from the BR spread, their about as close as a game could get without heavily changing it like Reach did.

I need to buy me a pair of those rose tinted Halo 2 glasses.

Reading the gaming side thread just shows how completely out of touch I am with what most people want in games today.

Booshka

lol, still find it hilarious that people act like 2 & 3 were really THAT different. Aside from the BR spread, their about as close as a game could get without heavily changing it like Reach did.

I need to buy me a pair of those rose tinted Halo 2 glasses.

Yep, most people would say that Halo 2 was Halo 1.5, and Halo 3 was Halo 2.5. To diehard Halo fans, the minor differences are huge, but to most people it's the same old Halo game coming out. Reach was the only slight departure, and Halo 4 might end up being Halo Reach 2.

It will always be like this too, a major departure would alienate too many fans, and too much of the same would stagnate the franchise and fail to bring in any new fans. This is why I'm especially bummed that CE Anniversary wasn't what I wanted it to be, I'll never be able to play Halo CE MP on XBL, and no Halo game released now or in the future can replicate that game. Hopefully a 1080p 60 FPS remake of Halo 2 comes out, and they include the multiplayer, so people can enjoy some, "Old-School" Halo.

Went out and bought a new box today, and celebrated by playing a few games of halo 3. Some observations:

Yeah, feedback and netcode are pretty bad. One of the things reach got right.

The radar seems much shorter-ranged (which is good), and not having the altitude indicators is way better

Number ranks and an exp system tied to wins/losses is way better than arbitrary credits.

Top Bottom