• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Bumhead

Banned
Gonna pick up the Nintendo Switch version later today. Really looking forward to it!

Excellent. Will you be providing impressions?

As daft as it sounds, the thing about all the PL stadiums being in the game is quite a big deal for me so I'd love to know that they're all in this version (if you don't mind reporting on that!)

I remember when Fifa made its debut on Vita. Was mind blowing at the time to have the full experience on the go, then EA fucked us with "legacy" games from that point on.

I remember when Fifa made its debut on Vita. Was mind blowing at the time to have the full experience on the go, then EA fucked us with "legacy" games from that point on.

I loved Fifa 13 for vita. Played it more than any other Fifa. Part of the reason I'm so excited about switch Fifa

pbsapeer

Banned
I 'member. So annoying. Didn't even implement the new tackling system which was SHIT. Meant I had the new version which played completely different to the vita and so made it redundant

Wiped89

Forget FIFA on Switch. Let's get Football Manager on there!

I do like the look of Switch FIFA though. I'm getting the PS4 version as I have friends on there, but Switch version looks good.

Blablurn

Gameplay on next gen has really improved a lot. While there is still some of the FIFA-esque "running on ice" feeling it got toned down a lot! Game feels way more fluid now. Even a little bit more realistic. Lightning is fantastic as well.

Syntsui

I friend of mine felt the goals were very emotionless compared to 17 in the demo, did they fix that in retail version?

Xater

Someone over on Reddit streamed the Switch version: https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFAswitch/comments/72o89s/i_have_the_game_streaming_some_gameplay/

From the comments:

Watched the stream. No squad battles, no FUT champions, and no bonuses in FUT, though bonuses could potentially be added in when the actual servers come online. Streamer said it played well, feeling as if it was a mix of fifa 16 and fifa 17. Looked good, though obviously not as good as the other versions.

Not matching the FUT suite of the other versions is kinda shit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Wouldn't the squad battles be also linked to online? There are no FUT squads at all available at this point.

LaNaranja

Have they said if the Switch version will allow you to change the commentary language? It is something you would assume but I remember the Vita forcing you to buy the Spanish version if you wanted to play the game in Spanish.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Have they said if the Switch version will allow you to change the commentary language? It is something you would assume but I remember the Vita forcing you to buy the Spanish version if you wanted to play the game in Spanish.

In the European eshop is listed with all the languages available.

AlanOC91

Played my first game online in FUT last night. I skipped most of FIFA17 and was addicted to like the last 5 before that.

Lost 4-2 to someone who scored 4 goals holding run with Vardy D:

I do need a better squad though. My midfield/defenders are terrible.

Porcile

I have never played a FIFA game in my life. Does it have the equivalent of a Master League like in Pro Evo? Start from zero with a band of no hopers and work your way up the leagues?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
8WbtI7z.jpg

EA made a Switch kit. Is it the best piece of news we'll have 2 days from release?

jts

...hate me...
We know yet if there's any Nintendo eShop around the world with cheaper FIFA 18? I'll download it if so. Otherwise buying physical next Saturday.

jts

...hate me...
Where are you located? As of now US should be the cheapest.
Europe. Can buy physical for 55€ and am inclined to do so because I can always cash it out next year.

Is US price 60USD = about 50 eur? Not too shabby I guess, but I'll have to think about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Curious to hear impressions of the Switch version. I might actually buy that. FIFA on the go sounds really, really good

Coffinhal

The Journey is pretty much garbage in 17. No idea who can enjoy watching fucking cutscenes in a football game.

I’ll end up buying this like I always do.

Try at least to understand other people's opinions. You're not alone in the world. You can also give details about your opinion (other it's pointless and you're wasting other people's time).

The issue is that the cutscenes have a pretty low standard of writing and directing. The target audience is also an issue. But the idea itself is great, it just needs better gameplay (first) and a change in direction.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After playing NBA2k18 I actually enjoy the Journey cutscenes much more. At least they have a purpose.

What is the eshop that will unlock first FIFA 18? Australian one?

Try at least to understand other people's opinions. You're not alone in the world. You can also give details about your opinion (other it's pointless and you're wasting other people's time).

The issue is that the cutscenes have a pretty low standard of writing and directing. The target audience is also an issue. But the idea itself is great, it just needs better gameplay (first) and a change in direction.

If I'd said ”the journey is great" you wouldn't feel any need to reply telling me to give details why I think it's great. Get out of here.

It's garbage because watching fake computer people talk is boring and the training is repetitive and not fun. Nothing about the idea is good. But I'm sure you'll say ”some people like it!", as if I should care.

If I’d said “the journey is great” you wouldn’t feel any need to reply telling me to give details why I think it’s great. Get out of here.

It’s garbage because watching fake computer people talk is boring and the training is repetitive and not fun. Nothing about the idea is good. But I’m sure you’ll say “some people like it!”, as if I should care.

I don't like it either but saying "watching fake computer people talk is boring" is over simplifying why it's bad. Do you just not like any games where fake computer people talk?

Someone over on Reddit streamed the Switch version: https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFAswitch/comments/72o89s/i_have_the_game_streaming_some_gameplay/

From the comments:

Not matching the FUT suite of the other versions is kinda shit.

They addressed this in that one interview with the studio head. They feel that putting the whole FUT right from the get go could have a negative effect on players who haven't ever used it. Other console FIFAs had FUT since like 7 years ago, and it progressed over time.

I know that I was hopelessly lost on 15 on PC, and stopped FUT really soon. So, I kind of agree.

He said that they already have plans what to put in the next FIFA(s), but they need to see if the game sells. They want to continue making it.

The guy was really enthusiastic.

It is EA Bucharest doing the Switch version, I think. It is always nice to have European devs making a football game.

EDIT. Not defending the decision, per se. But I understand their viewpoint. Also, it most likely allowed them to tune the base gameplay more. After all, they made the game from scratch.

I don't like it either but saying "watching fake computer people talk is boring" is over simplifying why it's bad. Do you just not like any games where fake computer people talk?

Not really.

You don't need complex analysis to explain why watching a bunch of idiots talk about how important and serious football is when you're supposed to be playing a game for fun is bad. It's everything bad about video games combined with everything bad about football.

Top Bottom