• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

LyleLanley
Banned
(08-11-2017, 04:02 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by GalacticSushiman

Such a strange requirement 'brown strap' :D You can buy anything and put it on a brown strap you know? :)

For under $5k, in the not too dressy/not too casual field, you have NOMOS and Tudor offering nice stuff.

But honestly, for that price, I'd go vintage.

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

Youre up to the task. I believe in you. No one on youtube can pronounce it either if thats any consolation. What about cartier tank ? Vintage or new seems to be right around 5k , maybe a little more for a new gold one , but youre worth it.


I thought about nomos but idk, just doesnt scream lyle to me . There is always a vintage datejust or tudor or something. Obviously like the other poster said you can put a brown strap on anything , but you already know that.

I'm currently leaning towards the JLC. I'll just take a years worth of French classes or something. And yes I know you can put a brown strap on anything but in my mind I picture a brown leather watch and a black leather watch as two fairly different looking things if that makes any sense.

As for Nomos and Tudor, I'm not a huge fan of either although admittedly I haven't spent much time looking at Tudor watches before.
LyleLanley
Banned
(08-11-2017, 01:45 PM)
LyleLanley's Avatar
Update:



One day I'll actually take decent pictures of my watches. Probably.
LeroyPantwether
Member
(08-11-2017, 06:40 PM)
LeroyPantwether's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Update:



One day I'll actually take decent pictures of my watches. Probably.

good choice. how you like it?
New002
Member
(08-11-2017, 06:58 PM)
New002's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Imgur or Flickr is what I use.



If I had $5k to spend on a brand new watch right now....
Probably the 2017 Railmaster.

Man I would love that watch.

I was recently in the market for a nice watch to fit my tiny, tiny wrists, and was looking at mid-size Omegas, but ended up with a trusty Seiko SKX013. I couldn't justify the cost of the Omegas right now and knowing me I would have babied it too much. I wanted something for daily wear that I wouldn't be so worried about.
LyleLanley
Banned
(08-11-2017, 07:07 PM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

good choice. how you like it?

Loving it so far. It's nice wearing a light watch again after using some bulkier ones day to day for a few months now.
LeroyPantwether
Member
(08-12-2017, 08:50 AM)
LeroyPantwether's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Loving it so far. It's nice wearing a light watch again after using some bulkier ones day to day for a few months now.

How'd you get it so fast? Did you just go to an AD?
LyleLanley
Banned
(08-12-2017, 10:32 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

How'd you get it so fast? Did you just go to an AD?

Yeah, it cost a bit more but when spending that much on a watch I feel a lot more comfortable knowing it has the full manufacturer warranty.
Accoun
Member
(08-12-2017, 11:24 PM)
Accoun's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

If I had $5k to spend on a brand new watch right now....
Probably the 2017 Railmaster.

Man, I just can't get over the typeface used for the numbers. I'm not sure about the about the brushed dial and the faux-vintage lume either, but I think at least the former I can't really judge without seeing it in person.

Shame, because I thought the previous Railmaster was pretty cool. I assume it sadly was at least a bit of a flop, though.
Forsete
Member
(08-12-2017, 11:58 PM)
Forsete's Avatar
Got a craving for the reissue of the Seiko turtle. Someone stop me.
LeroyPantwether
Member
(08-13-2017, 06:33 AM)
LeroyPantwether's Avatar

Originally Posted by Forsete

Got a craving for the reissue of the Seiko turtle. Someone stop me.

Maybe it is too big for your wrist? Thats all i got . Turtle reissue is great, and the price they can be had for is hard to resist.
rossonero
Member
(08-15-2017, 10:57 AM)
rossonero's Avatar
I got about $500 on my birthday for a watch. Is that enough to get a nice one or should I just care about the look and not about the mechanism underneath or the brand? Right now I got a Festina with a black leather strap and a Certina with a metal strap.

Found this automatic watch:


Don't know how it feels on the arm, but it could be fun with an automatic watch and it looks nice. It's rather cheap as well.
Pbae
Member
(08-19-2017, 11:30 PM)
Pbae's Avatar

Originally Posted by rossonero

I got about $500 on my birthday for a watch. Is that enough to get a nice one or should I just care about the look and not about the mechanism underneath or the brand? Right now I got a Festina with a black leather strap and a Certina with a metal strap.

Found this automatic watch:


Don't know how it feels on the arm, but it could be fun with an automatic watch and it looks nice. It's rather cheap as well.

$500 is a lot of money and there are plenty of great watches within that price point.

As for your questions, here's my take and suggestions.

-If given the choice, choose a watch brand (Seiko, Citizen, Hamilton, etc.) over a fashion brand (Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, etc.)
-A cheap automatic watch is more likely to break than a decent quartz battery powered watch.
-Automatic or mechanical watches are typically never as accurate as a battery powered watch.
-Most Automatic watches have a power reserve of 70ish hours. If you leave it unattended for a few days, you'll have to set the time again.

Some brands I think you should look into are,
-Hamilton, Christopher Ward, Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Master of G Line G-Shocks', Parnis
LeroyPantwether
Member
(08-20-2017, 04:13 PM)
LeroyPantwether's Avatar
+1 for hamilton and seiko at under 500 price point . Easily nicest watches in that price range .
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(08-20-2017, 04:23 PM)
Stinkles's Avatar
I only ever wear my watches when I travel. I almost always forget to set them for time change and my watches with international clocks - an edifice and a gshock may as well be obscure CERN equipment. I don't know about you but my Casio (and other) watch manuals are a place terrifying to me.

My Edifice in particular is supposed to atomic clock set itself but I'm damned if I can ever remember how to "let" it.

And my favorite watch, a simple aquaracer, is too simplistic.

So yeah... I use my phone. :-(
rossonero
Member
(08-20-2017, 11:42 PM)
rossonero's Avatar
Thanks you guys for your help. I did find a couple of Seikos that I liked, will look up the other brands that you listed too.
Accoun
Member
(08-20-2017, 11:51 PM)
Accoun's Avatar
Bought an older Vostok like a week ago and couldn't wear it because I don't have anything 18mm free. Ordered some straps and hoped they arrive until Friday.
Of course they didn't.
Got pretty desperate and took the NATO from my Casio.

Not the greatest combo, but at least I can finally wear it.
Splash Wave
Member
(08-23-2017, 09:13 AM)
Splash Wave's Avatar
Aaaand more Seiko 6138 woes. It was running fine for days until it randomly jumped 7 minutes today under my nose. Does this just sound like a watch needing general service, or is it something else I could be doing wrong? I've been careful to take it off when I'm at my desk at work (to keep it from being magnetized), but that apparently wasn't enough.
Pbae
Member
(08-29-2017, 09:02 PM)
Pbae's Avatar

Originally Posted by Splash Wave

Aaaand more Seiko 6138 woes. It was running fine for days until it randomly jumped 7 minutes today under my nose. Does this just sound like a watch needing general service, or is it something else I could be doing wrong? I've been careful to take it off when I'm at my desk at work (to keep it from being magnetized), but that apparently wasn't enough.

It sounds like it's not regulating the mainspring properly.

I've never had a watch be off by such a drastic amount so I wouldn't fret about it being your fault unless you've dropped it a bunch of times and from your post, barely ever.

I would contact Seiko and see if you're covered under the limited warranty because that sounds pretty defective.
Frost_Ace
Member
(09-01-2017, 07:49 PM)
Frost_Ace's Avatar
So I'm kind of a noob when it comes to watches. I've looked around the internet and it's pretty much agreed upon that a Seiko 5 is a good start in the world of watches since it's cheap and good. Any other advice for someone who's never owned an automatic watch?
PjotrStroganov
Member
(09-01-2017, 10:57 PM)
PjotrStroganov's Avatar

Originally Posted by Frost_Ace

So I'm kind of a noob when it comes to watches. I've looked around the internet and it's pretty much agreed upon that a Seiko 5 is a good start in the world of watches since it's cheap and good. Any other advice for someone who's never owned an automatic watch?

There's not much to advice on. You'll have to set the time once in a while as it won't be as accurate as a quartz watch. But that goes for all mechanical watches.

You really can't go wrong with a 5.
Frost_Ace
Member
(09-01-2017, 11:38 PM)
Frost_Ace's Avatar

Originally Posted by PjotrStroganov

There's not much to advice on. You'll have to set the time once in a while as it won't be as accurate as a quartz watch. But that goes for all mechanical watches.

You really can't go wrong with a 5.

Nice :) how often should I set it? Also, what is the site with the most accurate time?
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-02-2017, 12:04 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by Frost_Ace

Nice :) how often should I set it? Also, what is the site with the most accurate time?

Just whenever you notice it being off more than you like.
Like I'll adjust them when they're more than 2-3 minutes off, but I rotate watches so frequently that it never comes to that anyway. Usually takes a few days.

For time you can use: https://www.time.gov/
nitewulf
Member
(09-02-2017, 12:16 AM)
anyone have automatic watch winders? can you recommend a slim one that wont take too much space?
Frost_Ace
Member
(09-02-2017, 12:59 AM)
Frost_Ace's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Just whenever you notice it being off more than you like.
Like I'll adjust them when they're more than 2-3 minutes off, but I rotate watches so frequently that it never comes to that anyway. Usually takes a few days.

For time you can use: https://www.time.gov/

Thanks :)
GalacticSushiman
Member
(09-02-2017, 03:41 AM)
GalacticSushiman's Avatar

Originally Posted by nitewulf

anyone have automatic watch winders? can you recommend a slim one that wont take too much space?

I really like my Swisskubik - except for the software to configure it, which is absolute garbage - and it's very small.
Accoun
Member
(09-06-2017, 05:12 AM)
Accoun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Accoun

Bought an older Vostok like a week ago and couldn't wear it because I don't have anything 18mm free. Ordered some straps and hoped they arrive until Friday.
Of course they didn't.
Got pretty desperate and took the NATO from my Casio.

Not the greatest combo, but at least I can finally wear it.

So... Spent some time with it, and I actually really like it, at least looks-wise. It could use a service, so I'm not sure if it's fair to judge it in this state. It's not terrible, I guess.

Anyway it's 36 mm, I think, and I really like the size. I'm usually wearing a 38 mm Seiko 5 which these days is already considered small. This one makes it feel much larger.
Not only the 2 mm less, but it also has a lower profile since it's manual wind only (although the risen/domed crystal brings up to a similar level. You don't feel that much, because it isn't the case that is large). I was curious if I'm going to like it (partly because my grail would be the Rolex Explorer, which traditionally is also at 36 mm) but yes, I do.
Really makes me wish I had access to the aforementioned Explorer or the Tudor Black Bay 36 even more - at least to try them on.

I also had another vintage Russian on the way, which was even smaller at 32 mm. But that... seems to have some issues with postal service. It potentially got stolen by the mailman?
danowat
Member
(09-07-2017, 04:37 PM)
danowat's Avatar
Picked up this Poljot recently, and it's a really nice piece, bit of an IWC Portuguese homage, but I love the way the hands, numbers and dial changes colour in the light.

sixteen-bit
Member
(09-08-2017, 02:18 AM)
Massdrop has the SRP Turtle for $230. That's a pretty good price, right?
Splash Wave
Member
(09-11-2017, 08:08 PM)
Splash Wave's Avatar
I need some advice! I had someone take a look at my Seiko 6138 (it was running extremely fast all of a sudden), and he's saying it'll cost me $300 to fix, as a full service is necessary. Considering the watch only cost me ~300 at a shop in Japan, should I bother spending so much to fix it? And does that price sound reasonable given that it's a chronograph?
erpg
GAF parliamentarian
(09-14-2017, 10:52 AM)
erpg's Avatar

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Massdrop has the SRP Turtle for $230. That's a pretty good price, right?

A bit less than normal online prices. I've seen it at 240 or so at Creation Watches.
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-27-2017, 10:09 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar
Anyone know where to find actual list prices for AP Royal Oaks online? Are the retail prices on Jomashop right or are they jacked up to make their discounts look better?
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-27-2017, 09:13 PM)
dallow_bg's Avatar
Having bad luck with vintage. Missed out on two watches. One sold the day before I contacted the seller.
The other I won, but when the seller retrieved it from his safe he found it not to be running anymore after checking it and wanted to get it looked at.

About to buy something new instead...

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Anyone know where to find actual list prices for AP Royal Oaks online? Are the retail prices on Jomashop right or are they jacked up to make their discounts look better?

For Omega, Tudor, and Oris, I've found those MSRPs to be accurate to the maker.
I wouldn't doubt the AP ones.
GalacticSushiman
Member
(09-28-2017, 03:12 AM)
GalacticSushiman's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Anyone know where to find actual list prices for AP Royal Oaks online? Are the retail prices on Jomashop right or are they jacked up to make their discounts look better?

Nope, they look ok. Then there can be taxes/custom fees on top of MSRP/joma price depending on where you live/buy.

Also, knowing joma a bit, sometime you can add an item to your bag but really they do not have it anymore, so do not hesitate to check with them beforehand.
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-28-2017, 03:20 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Having bad luck with vintage. Missed out on two watches. One sold the day before I contacted the seller.
The other I won, but when the seller retrieved it from his safe he found it not to be running anymore after checking it and wanted to get it looked at.

Sounds to me like the seller was expecting a higher winning bid.

Originally Posted by GalacticSushiman

Nope, they look ok. Then there can be taxes/custom fees on top of MSRP/joma price depending on where you live/buy.

Also, knowing joma a bit, sometime you can add an item to your bag but really they do not have it anymore, so do not hesitate to check with them beforehand.

I'm probably not going to buy from Joma, just want to use it to check prices.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-28-2017, 03:55 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Sounds to me like the seller was expecting a higher winning bid.

I had a sneaking suspicion about this but he seemed sincere.
Hasn't been relisted yet. ;)
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-28-2017, 07:39 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar
I'm torn between getting an IWC Portugieser or spending the extra money and getting a stainless steel AP Royal Oak.
LeroyPantwether
Member
(09-28-2017, 07:59 AM)
LeroyPantwether's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

I'm torn between getting an IWC Portugieser or spending the extra money and getting a stainless steel AP Royal Oak.

Royal oak
Blitzhex
Member
(09-28-2017, 08:03 AM)
Blitzhex's Avatar
APs and Hublots are unwearable for me, so uncomfortable. You could sleep with the IWC on compared to them, something to consider if you value comfort or wear for long periods.
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-28-2017, 08:04 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

Royal oak

That's the way I'm leaning, I feel like it's more versatile.

Originally Posted by Blitzhex

APs and Hublots are unwearable for me, so uncomfortable. You could sleep with the IWC on compared to them, something to consider if you value comfort or wear for long periods.

I'll take this into consideration although the Royal Oak didn't feel uncomfortable to me.
LeroyPantwether
Member
(09-28-2017, 08:09 AM)
LeroyPantwether's Avatar
Both both both !
LyleLanley
Banned
(09-28-2017, 08:16 AM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

Both both both !

Tempting but not sure I want to spend $30K on two watches at once.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-28-2017, 08:49 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar
My god! Lost a 3rd possible watch!
Made an offer to another seller at another forum, and they had just accepted an offer an hour earlier.

Not meant to be. I think i'm done looking at listings for now.
GalacticSushiman
Member
(09-28-2017, 02:39 PM)
GalacticSushiman's Avatar

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

I'm torn between getting an IWC Portugieser or spending the extra money and getting a stainless steel AP Royal Oak.

I would advise to wait a bit more, both are too different from each other (one is a casual/dressy, iconic because of its dial and numbers, and very timeless, the other is a big sport watch, iconic because of its case and bracelet, and very 70s-ish).

With all due respect, you are probably not yet ready to take the plunge if you hesitate between such different watches.

Just MHO, who cares really :)
danowat
Member
(09-28-2017, 02:43 PM)
danowat's Avatar
2nd Kickstater came through, and this one is a real keeper.



LyleLanley
Banned
(09-28-2017, 03:06 PM)
LyleLanley's Avatar

Originally Posted by GalacticSushiman

I would advise to wait a bit more, both are too different from each other (one is a casual/dressy, iconic because of its dial and numbers, and very timeless, the other is a big sport watch, iconic because of its case and bracelet, and very 70s-ish).

With all due respect, you are probably not yet ready to take the plunge if you hesitate between such different watches.

Just MHO, who cares really :)

Part of the watch is a gift and they're both watches that I have considered in the past so that's why I'm deciding between two vastly different watches. For what it's worth I tried the Royal Oak on again and I think I'm in love.
Blitzhex
Member
(09-28-2017, 09:12 PM)
Blitzhex's Avatar
I'd get the Portugieser, it's so beautiful.

The size is perfect, sits the same as my green sub on my wrist, but it's a lot of money for a ETA.
GalacticSushiman
Member
(09-28-2017, 09:44 PM)
GalacticSushiman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzhex

I'd get the Portugieser, it's so beautiful.



The size is perfect, sits the same as my green sub on my wrist, but it's a lot of money for a ETA.

I don't want to start a war with you, I am sure you are a fantastic guy :D But this is VERY debatable :) Just a matter of taste I guess :)
Accoun
Member
(09-28-2017, 10:03 PM)
Accoun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blitzhex

The size is perfect, sits the same as my green sub on my wrist, but it's a lot of money for a ETA.

At least they have a ~41mm version. Looked up the Parnis lookalikes since they came up in a conversation online and they are 43mm only. One is definitely not for my wallet, one is not really for my wrist.
Blitzhex
Member
(09-28-2017, 10:31 PM)
Blitzhex's Avatar

Originally Posted by GalacticSushiman

I don't want to start a war with you, I am sure you are a fantastic guy :D But this is VERY debatable :) Just a matter of taste I guess :)

Size is subjective of course, just my opinion. I thought people would take more offense at me knocking the movement though.

Originally Posted by Accoun

At least they have a ~41mm version. Looked up the Parnis lookalikes since they came up in a conversation online and they are 43mm only. One is definitely not for my wallet, one is not really for my wrist.

Talking about the 40.9mm one as well. The dateless chronographs are all that size I think. The size is just perfect for my wrist. All the other models are 42mm and above.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-29-2017, 01:04 AM)
dallow_bg's Avatar

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

My god! Lost a 3rd possible watch!
Made an offer to another seller at another forum, and they had just accepted an offer an hour earlier.

Not meant to be. I think i'm done looking at listings for now.

Huzzah, the other buyer didn't go through, so I got it.
Will take a bit to arrive, but will share pics when it's in.

Originally Posted by danowat

2nd Kickstater came through, and this one is a real keeper.

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/img_20170919_1811067dklf.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://abload.de/img/img_20170920_073335vnklj.jpg[IMG]

I like those colors. And the design of the chronograph seconds hand with the little loop at the end.

Thread Tools