• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

LyleLanley
(08-11-2017, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by GalacticSushiman

Such a strange requirement 'brown strap' :D You can buy anything and put it on a brown strap you know? :)

For under $5k, in the not too dressy/not too casual field, you have NOMOS and Tudor offering nice stuff.

But honestly, for that price, I'd go vintage.

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

Youre up to the task. I believe in you. No one on youtube can pronounce it either if thats any consolation. What about cartier tank ? Vintage or new seems to be right around 5k , maybe a little more for a new gold one , but youre worth it.

I thought about nomos but idk, just doesnt scream lyle to me . There is always a vintage datejust or tudor or something. Obviously like the other poster said you can put a brown strap on anything , but you already know that.

I'm currently leaning towards the JLC. I'll just take a years worth of French classes or something. And yes I know you can put a brown strap on anything but in my mind I picture a brown leather watch and a black leather watch as two fairly different looking things if that makes any sense.

As for Nomos and Tudor, I'm not a huge fan of either although admittedly I haven't spent much time looking at Tudor watches before.
LyleLanley
(08-11-2017, 12:45 PM)
Update:

One day I'll actually take decent pictures of my watches. Probably.
LeroyPantwether
(08-11-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Update:

One day I'll actually take decent pictures of my watches. Probably.

good choice. how you like it?
New002
(08-11-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Imgur or Flickr is what I use.

If I had $5k to spend on a brand new watch right now....
Probably the 2017 Railmaster.

Man I would love that watch.

I was recently in the market for a nice watch to fit my tiny, tiny wrists, and was looking at mid-size Omegas, but ended up with a trusty Seiko SKX013. I couldn't justify the cost of the Omegas right now and knowing me I would have babied it too much. I wanted something for daily wear that I wouldn't be so worried about.
LyleLanley
(08-11-2017, 06:07 PM)

good choice. how you like it?

Loving it so far. It's nice wearing a light watch again after using some bulkier ones day to day for a few months now.
LeroyPantwether
(08-12-2017, 07:50 AM)

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Loving it so far. It's nice wearing a light watch again after using some bulkier ones day to day for a few months now.

How'd you get it so fast? Did you just go to an AD?
LyleLanley
(08-12-2017, 09:32 AM)

How'd you get it so fast? Did you just go to an AD?

Yeah, it cost a bit more but when spending that much on a watch I feel a lot more comfortable knowing it has the full manufacturer warranty.
Accoun
(08-12-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

If I had $5k to spend on a brand new watch right now....
Probably the 2017 Railmaster.

Man, I just can't get over the typeface used for the numbers. I'm not sure about the about the brushed dial and the faux-vintage lume either, but I think at least the former I can't really judge without seeing it in person.

Shame, because I thought the previous Railmaster was pretty cool. I assume it sadly was at least a bit of a flop, though.
Forsete
(08-12-2017, 10:58 PM)
Got a craving for the reissue of the Seiko turtle. Someone stop me.
LeroyPantwether
(08-13-2017, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Forsete

Got a craving for the reissue of the Seiko turtle. Someone stop me.

Maybe it is too big for your wrist? Thats all i got . Turtle reissue is great, and the price they can be had for is hard to resist.
rossonero
(08-15-2017, 09:57 AM)
I got about $500 on my birthday for a watch. Is that enough to get a nice one or should I just care about the look and not about the mechanism underneath or the brand? Right now I got a Festina with a black leather strap and a Certina with a metal strap.

Found this automatic watch:

Don't know how it feels on the arm, but it could be fun with an automatic watch and it looks nice. It's rather cheap as well.
Last edited by rossonero; 08-15-2017 at 10:12 AM.