PAIR GAME EXTRA RULES (At the very least, read this one)
X.1. This Game is a Pair Game, aka. every single player is paired up with another player. These two players share their role and alignment, and have access to their own private "Lover Chat", just like typical lovers would do in games.
X.2. If you die in the game, your pair dies with you, and vice versa. So in a sense, the two halves of the pair are treated like a one player.
X.3. All players have individual votes, so you do not need to vote with your pair. However, when you vote for a pair, you need to just vote for one player of said pair. For example, if Burbeting and RetroMG were a pair, you would vote them with VOTE: Burbeting, or VOTE: RetroMG. It's adviced to vote for the first player of said pair mentioned in the Opening Post to make everyones life easier. Otherwise normal rules about voting apply.
X.4. If a player wants to drop out, or they are modkilled, their role is not revealed. This is to give their pair a chance to continue to play a game. If a replacement is found, said replacement is automatically put as a new partner to the player, whose pair had dropped out. However, if the modkill happened because the player directly quoted their role PM, both halves of the pair have to be modkilled, so please do not directly quote your role PM in any circumstances.
X.5. Use only your lover chat to privately communicate with your pair about the game, so that game mod can moderate the conversations.
X.6. In short, this is a 30 player game, but said 30 players are paired up into 15 pairs, so the game design otherwise is treated as if it was a 15 player game.
1. All site-wide rules are also applicable here. Please do not tarnish this community.
2. Unless your Role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, discussion about this game is strictly confined to this thread.
3. Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not quote or posts screen-shots of any PMs or posts that were not made in this thread. Obviously this is a grey area, but please try and play sportingly.
4. Within reason, you are allowed to lie about any game material or game-related conversations that could conceivably have appeared outside this thread [such as the content of role PMs or private chats allowed by a role]. If unsure whether a lie is reasonable, please ask the game-runner.
5. Do not refer or discuss to player activity in other forum threads or life in general beyond the game.
6. The player list includes the preferred personal pronoun of each player. Please try to use the correct pronoun.
7. Please be nice to your fellow players. Mafia can be a tense experience, and occasionally aggressive play is useful, but remember this is game and that everyone should have fun.
Activity and Deadlines (Please Note Rule 12.5)
8. Treat this game as a commitment. Remember that other players' fun is dependent on your participation; this game only works if you remain reasonably active.
9. If you do not post in this thread at least 10 times per Day Phase period without prior permission, you will be sent a PM requesting you respond immediately (a "prod"). If you do not respond to a prod by the end of the following Night Phase, you will be replaced.
10. If you need an extended period of absence for some other issues in life, please notify the game-runner by PM in advance. Leave of up to one Day and Night Phase (five days) is possible.
11. If you expect to be unable to post for a period of 7 days, please notify the game-runner by PM so that you can be replaced in good time - we're sad to see you go, but other players need to be able to continue to play.
12. Each Day Phase will last 3 days. Day Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 72 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
12.5 The Exception is Day 1, which will last for 4 days.
13. Each Night phase will last 2 days. Night Phases officially begin when the game-runner notifies players in the game thread, and end exactly 48 hours later (by NeoGAF post time-stamps).
14. If a Phase ends and the game-runner has not received an action PM from a player with a relevant action, then that Phase will end with that that player making no action.
15. In the event of a day ending with no player having a plurality of the votes, then the game will proceed to the next night phase with nobody lynched ("no-lynch").
16. If a replacement is needed, they may PM the game-runner once to request the Night Phase in which they join is extended by up to 2 days, to allow catch-up time.
17. Game-runners may change the length of Phases at their discretion. However, they will inform players at the start of the equivalent Phase before (i.e., if Day 7 is set to be shortened, players will be no later than the start of Day 6).
Voting, Lynching, and Death
18. For your vote to count, it must be presented in the following format: VOTE: playername, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
19. To remove a vote from a player, you must present in the following format: UNVOTE: playername, via use of the highlight tag. It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text. It is not necessary to unvote before casting new vote for a different player; unvoting is simply to remove a vote without casting a new one.
20. Players may use VOTE: No Lynch to end the Day Phase without a lynch ("No Lynch"). It must also be in an entirely separate line from any other text.
21. Misspelt votes will be accepted within reason; if the game-runner is unsure they will notify you and in the meanwhile discount the vote. Votes in broken tags will not count.
22. Once someone has received a strict majority (>50%) of the available votes, the day ends with the Lynch of that player or a No Lynch (whichever applies). Once this has happened, any further votes or unvotes that Phase will not be counted, and the Night Phase will begin shortly.
23. Some roles take place between the end of the Day Phase and the start of the Night Phase, so game-runners may allow a short period of time for this "Twilight Phase". Unless your role PM explicitly allows you to do otherwise, do not post during the Twilight Phase.
24. Once you are dead, you are dead: you may no longer discuss the game in ANY manner with ANY of the remaining players. Dead players may PM the game-runner one last message for the other players (a "Will"), which the game-runner will post on their behalf in the thread. The sole condition is that it contains NO game-relevant information, e.g. "Thanks guys for an excellent game!" is allowed, "My partner was John!" is not.
The Dead Thread
25. To allow dead players to freely discuss the game with other dead players, a secret thread will be created.
26. On death, a player can either opt to join the replacement list, or receive a link to the Dead Thread. They may not do both. If a player opted to join the replacement list, they may change their mind, but players who have a link to the Dead Thread cannot act as replacements.
27. The Dead Thread will also be made available to non-players, provided they have played in at least one GAF mafia game before in which they did not go inactive. These non-players will also be disbarred from the replacement list.
28. Outside of votes and explicit allowances made by role PMs, the use of the highlight tag is strictly the game-runner's prerogative. Do not use it.
29. You may not put any active players in this game on your ignore list. If you have an active player on your ignore list, please remove them. Obviously this is on the honor system, but please don't do it, or joke about doing it.
30. Do not edit your posts. If you are a repeat offender, a replacement will be sought.
31. Do not use the email tags to hide extra content in your posts.
32. A list of the votes so far (a "Vote Count") can be requested by contacting any game-runner or game-tutor.
33. Game-runners reserve the right to add, remove, or modify existing any rules at any point, and enforcement may be applied retroactively. However, all players will be informed of changes, and changes will be consistent across games.
34. In general, do not try and exploit loop-holes in the rules.
35. Completed GAF games are often read by people thinking of signing up in the future. As such, please keep your avatar spoiler free - it should not allude to your role or alignment.
36. I will accept Night Actions up to two hours before the Day starts. Missing actions will be decided at Moderator’s discretion.
37. Remember to always Fight for your Ship