• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

LyleLanley
(08-11-2017, 03:02 AM)

Originally Posted by GalacticSushiman

Such a strange requirement 'brown strap' :D You can buy anything and put it on a brown strap you know? :)

For under $5k, in the not too dressy/not too casual field, you have NOMOS and Tudor offering nice stuff.

But honestly, for that price, I'd go vintage.

Originally Posted by LeroyPantwether

Youre up to the task. I believe in you. No one on youtube can pronounce it either if thats any consolation. What about cartier tank ? Vintage or new seems to be right around 5k , maybe a little more for a new gold one , but youre worth it.

I thought about nomos but idk, just doesnt scream lyle to me . There is always a vintage datejust or tudor or something. Obviously like the other poster said you can put a brown strap on anything , but you already know that.

I'm currently leaning towards the JLC. I'll just take a years worth of French classes or something. And yes I know you can put a brown strap on anything but in my mind I picture a brown leather watch and a black leather watch as two fairly different looking things if that makes any sense.

As for Nomos and Tudor, I'm not a huge fan of either although admittedly I haven't spent much time looking at Tudor watches before.
LyleLanley
(08-11-2017, 12:45 PM)
Update:

One day I'll actually take decent pictures of my watches. Probably.
LeroyPantwether
(08-11-2017, 05:40 PM)

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Update:

One day I'll actually take decent pictures of my watches. Probably.

good choice. how you like it?
New002
(08-11-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

Imgur or Flickr is what I use.

If I had $5k to spend on a brand new watch right now....
Probably the 2017 Railmaster.

Man I would love that watch.

I was recently in the market for a nice watch to fit my tiny, tiny wrists, and was looking at mid-size Omegas, but ended up with a trusty Seiko SKX013. I couldn't justify the cost of the Omegas right now and knowing me I would have babied it too much. I wanted something for daily wear that I wouldn't be so worried about.
LyleLanley
(08-11-2017, 06:07 PM)

good choice. how you like it?

Loving it so far. It's nice wearing a light watch again after using some bulkier ones day to day for a few months now.
LeroyPantwether
(08-12-2017, 07:50 AM)

Originally Posted by LyleLanley

Loving it so far. It's nice wearing a light watch again after using some bulkier ones day to day for a few months now.

How'd you get it so fast? Did you just go to an AD?
LyleLanley
(08-12-2017, 09:32 AM)

How'd you get it so fast? Did you just go to an AD?

Yeah, it cost a bit more but when spending that much on a watch I feel a lot more comfortable knowing it has the full manufacturer warranty.
Accoun
(08-12-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by dallow_bg

If I had $5k to spend on a brand new watch right now....
Probably the 2017 Railmaster.

Man, I just can't get over the typeface used for the numbers. I'm not sure about the about the brushed dial and the faux-vintage lume either, but I think at least the former I can't really judge without seeing it in person.

Shame, because I thought the previous Railmaster was pretty cool. I assume it sadly was at least a bit of a flop, though.
Forsete
(08-12-2017, 10:58 PM)
Got a craving for the reissue of the Seiko turtle. Someone stop me.
LeroyPantwether
(08-13-2017, 05:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Forsete

Got a craving for the reissue of the Seiko turtle. Someone stop me.

Maybe it is too big for your wrist? Thats all i got . Turtle reissue is great, and the price they can be had for is hard to resist.
rossonero
(08-15-2017, 09:57 AM)
I got about $500 on my birthday for a watch. Is that enough to get a nice one or should I just care about the look and not about the mechanism underneath or the brand? Right now I got a Festina with a black leather strap and a Certina with a metal strap.

Found this automatic watch:

Don't know how it feels on the arm, but it could be fun with an automatic watch and it looks nice. It's rather cheap as well.
Last edited by rossonero; 08-15-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Pbae
(08-19-2017, 10:30 PM)

Originally Posted by rossonero

I got about $500 on my birthday for a watch. Is that enough to get a nice one or should I just care about the look and not about the mechanism underneath or the brand? Right now I got a Festina with a black leather strap and a Certina with a metal strap.

Found this automatic watch:

Don't know how it feels on the arm, but it could be fun with an automatic watch and it looks nice. It's rather cheap as well.

$500 is a lot of money and there are plenty of great watches within that price point.

As for your questions, here's my take and suggestions.

-If given the choice, choose a watch brand (Seiko, Citizen, Hamilton, etc.) over a fashion brand (Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, etc.)
-A cheap automatic watch is more likely to break than a decent quartz battery powered watch.
-Automatic or mechanical watches are typically never as accurate as a battery powered watch.
-Most Automatic watches have a power reserve of 70ish hours. If you leave it unattended for a few days, you'll have to set the time again.

Some brands I think you should look into are,
-Hamilton, Christopher Ward, Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Master of G Line G-Shocks', Parnis
LeroyPantwether
(08-20-2017, 03:13 PM)
+1 for hamilton and seiko at under 500 price point . Easily nicest watches in that price range .
Stinkles
Clothed, sober, cooperative
(08-20-2017, 03:23 PM)
I only ever wear my watches when I travel. I almost always forget to set them for time change and my watches with international clocks - an edifice and a gshock may as well be obscure CERN equipment. I don't know about you but my Casio (and other) watch manuals are a place terrifying to me.

My Edifice in particular is supposed to atomic clock set itself but I'm damned if I can ever remember how to "let" it.

And my favorite watch, a simple aquaracer, is too simplistic.

So yeah... I use my phone. :-(
rossonero
(08-20-2017, 10:42 PM)
Thanks you guys for your help. I did find a couple of Seikos that I liked, will look up the other brands that you listed too.
Accoun
(08-20-2017, 10:51 PM)
Bought an older Vostok like a week ago and couldn't wear it because I don't have anything 18mm free. Ordered some straps and hoped they arrive until Friday.
Of course they didn't.
Got pretty desperate and took the NATO from my Casio.

Not the greatest combo, but at least I can finally wear it.