• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Crab Shaker
Doesn't pay his sources
(04-17-2008, 08:16 AM)
Crab Shaker's Avatar
Good lord I really want a new watch really bad. I can't afford anything as awesome as you guys though :(.
Karakand
named a GAFfer's kid.
Yeah. I said Holy Shit too.
(04-17-2008, 08:22 AM)
Karakand's Avatar
I hardly wear it but eco-drive means that doesn't really matter. :D

[IMG]http://i32.************/14d2av8.jpg[/IMG]
eudaemonic
Member
(04-17-2008, 08:31 AM)
eudaemonic's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

Hobby Fusion Shots (most of them are sold by now to raise funds, though):

I think that's my favorite shot. Very cool though!
vdo
Member
(04-17-2008, 09:43 AM)
vdo's Avatar
I've always been intrigued by watches that advertise they have Tritium in them that constantly glows, rather than the regular glow in the dark phosphors that fade so quickly. I also am interested in perpetual calendars on watches, but have never found one with both Tritium and a perpetual calendar together. Does anyone know of brands that have both features?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(04-17-2008, 11:42 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by vdo

I've always been intrigued by watches that advertise they have Tritium in them that constantly glows, rather than the regular glow in the dark phosphors that fade so quickly. I also am interested in perpetual calendars on watches, but have never found one with both Tritium and a perpetual calendar together. Does anyone know of brands that have both features?

AFAIK, there is currently no watch with Tritium and a perpetual calendar out there, sorry.
Jake.
Member
(04-17-2008, 12:06 PM)
Jake.'s Avatar
i have a DKNY watch, scratched like a motherfucker now though.
seanoff
Member
(04-17-2008, 02:08 PM)
seanoff's Avatar


My 13 year old TAG. In good condition too. it has been worn 24/7 for all that time (not even for that). just back from it's service.

It's been a superb watch. There's probably nothing original on it but TAG keep it in good condition for me.
elostyle
Never forget! I'm Dumb!
(04-17-2008, 02:57 PM)
elostyle's Avatar
This thread needs prices. I am so limited in regards to watches due to the worlds skinniest wrists :(
DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(04-17-2008, 03:02 PM)
DaCocoBrova's Avatar
My starting 3:




Klauss Kobec | Yves Bertelin (Got while in Paris) | Bulova


One is on injured reserve... Two actually. One needs a battery, the other needs the band fixed (not pictured).
Kabouter
Member
(04-17-2008, 03:13 PM)
Kabouter's Avatar

Originally Posted by elostyle

This thread needs prices. I am so limited in regards to watches due to the worlds skinniest wrists :(

I have that problem too. I got a pretty small watch, but in relation to my tiny wrists it's still more than large enough :D.
seanoff
Member
(04-17-2008, 03:16 PM)
seanoff's Avatar

Originally Posted by elostyle

This thread needs prices. I am so limited in regards to watches due to the worlds skinniest wrists :(

A TAG Link is pretty much infinitely adjustable, even for your puny wrists.



$1300+ in the US. look for specials/Wait for a sale.

See the links in the band, pretty much all of them can be removed because they all fit together the same way. And if mine is anything to go by, they last forever.


Of course your budget may limit your choice. but this would be a 10year + investment
elostyle
Never forget! I'm Dumb!
(04-17-2008, 03:30 PM)
elostyle's Avatar

Originally Posted by seanoff

A TAG Link is pretty much infinitely adjustable, even for your puny wrists.



$1300+ in the US. look for specials/Wait for a sale.

See the links in the band, pretty much all of them can be removed because they all fit together the same way. And if mine is anything to go by, they last forever.


Of course your budget may limit your choice. but this would be a 10year + investment

Diameter is the real issue though, it looks funny if the watch extends beyond your wrist. I like this one though.
seanoff
Member
(04-17-2008, 03:36 PM)
seanoff's Avatar

Originally Posted by elostyle

Diameter is the real issue though, it looks funny if the watch extends beyond your wrist. I like this one though.


The women's model, smaller dial, same watch essentially. If your wrists are that small, it'll look good.



BTW my wrists aren't huge, pretty dainty really.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(04-18-2008, 08:54 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar
eudaemonic, thanks!
here's a nice macro shot of the first watch I posted:
YagizY
Member
(04-18-2008, 09:06 AM)
YagizY's Avatar
My uncle owns a watch store in Turkey so he hooks me up with free watches when I go there, here is what I have:

K.Jack
Knowledge is power, guard it well
(04-18-2008, 09:09 AM)
K.Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by DaCocoBrova

My starting 3:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...a/IMG_0733.jpg


Klauss Kobec | Yves Bertelin (Got while in Paris) | Bulova


One is on injured reserve... Two actually. One needs a battery, the other needs the band fixed (not pictured).

What's are the model #s on the Bertelin and the Bulova?
DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(04-18-2008, 01:30 PM)
DaCocoBrova's Avatar
WM15681 - Yves Bertelin

C837378 - Bulova
Kal
Member
(04-18-2008, 01:44 PM)
I love watches... had a Breitling for a couple of years but I had to pawn it when things got rough :lol I want to get another one but I thought I'll ask this (stupid question) here first: Is there any watch you can buy that doesn't depreciate the moment it leaves the store? Is it possible to buy a watch less than £3000 that would become a collector's item sometime in the future?
K.Jack
Knowledge is power, guard it well
(04-18-2008, 03:21 PM)
K.Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by DaCocoBrova

WM15681 - Yves Bertelin

C837378 - Bulova

Thanks. Those are some hot watches.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(04-20-2008, 12:37 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kal

I love watches... had a Breitling for a couple of years but I had to pawn it when things got rough :lol I want to get another one but I thought I'll ask this (stupid question) here first: Is there any watch you can buy that doesn't depreciate the moment it leaves the store? Is it possible to buy a watch less than £3000 that would become a collector's item sometime in the future?

I know of no watch that doesn't lose value once it is bought. Because of the yearly price increases, Rolex watches hold their value quite stable, but you got to keep them for at least 10 years to "get even" on the original list price.
In general, watches as an object of financial speculation are no good idea IMHO.
Zaptruder
Banned
(04-20-2008, 01:29 PM)
Zaptruder's Avatar
My breitling is about as heavy as a wii-mote.

... would probably smash a few things that it was chucked at as well.
dream
(04-20-2008, 01:40 PM)
dream's Avatar
Awesome thread. I'm looking at getting this sometime this year:

OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(04-20-2008, 02:20 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
garden shot from a few minutes ago:
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-01-2008, 01:09 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
lol, 250k USD for a watch and the PR dept. is not able to pull off a decent pic of the watches' movement:
http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/reve...urbillon-2/en/




Spot the Error (It's an official press kit picture, imagine the hilarity):
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(05-01-2008, 01:56 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

lol, 250k USD for a watch and the PR dept. is not able to pull off a decent pic of the watches' movement:
http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/reve...urbillon-2/en/

Spot the Error (It's an official press kit picture, imagine the hilarity):

No numbers around the face = fail!

Here is the watch I just bought. It's soooo thin and awesome. The band looks like it's nylon, but it's actually finely woven titanium.

Really nifty.

The S-Word
Member
(05-06-2008, 02:01 PM)
The S-Word's Avatar
which of these amazing watches can be had for $100?
seriously i need a watch for 100 or less
tetsuoxb
Member
(05-06-2008, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by dream

Awesome thread. I'm looking at getting this sometime this year:

Unless you are Shaq, the Bentley is ridiculously large.

Much bigger fan of the Navitimer.

tetsuoxb
Member
(05-06-2008, 02:36 PM)

Originally Posted by OnkelC

lol, 250k USD for a watch and the PR dept. is not able to pull off a decent pic of the watches' movement:

I see your 250k and raise you 1m USD.



Patek pink gold Sky Tourbillon. Sold at auction for 1.25m USD. Originally made in 2003.
Iron_Scimitar
Banned
(05-06-2008, 02:46 PM)
Iron_Scimitar's Avatar

My SEIKO. The black part isnt so black on the actual watch. Its a darker metallic color.


Bad cell phone pic.
Kal
Member
(05-06-2008, 02:49 PM)

Originally Posted by OnkelC

I know of no watch that doesn't lose value once it is bought. Because of the yearly price increases, Rolex watches hold their value quite stable, but you got to keep them for at least 10 years to "get even" on the original list price.
In general, watches as an object of financial speculation are no good idea IMHO.


Thanks OnkelC :)
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-07-2008, 07:01 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar
nobody has spotted the error in the press pic yet?
Fusebox
Banned
(05-08-2008, 03:46 PM)
Fusebox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fusebox

this Tag is my daily wearer.

Holy crap Stephen Colbert wears my watch!! I've been watching his show every night for so long and never noticed but tonight he put his wrist near the camera, I paused it with my stb and I'm 99.9% its my aquaracer.



More pics of Stephen Colbert wearing my watch.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/03...colbert_lg.jpg

http://www.alarmpress.com/wp-content...09/colbert.jpg

Sweet, Colbert rocks. :D
RubxQub
φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
(05-08-2008, 03:58 PM)
RubxQub's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

nobody has spotted the error in the press pic yet?

I mentioned it in my post about my watch.

I noticed that there is no face on the press pic, as in no numbers around the border.
v0yce
Member
(05-08-2008, 04:18 PM)
v0yce's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

lol, 250k USD for a watch and the PR dept. is not able to pull off a decent pic of the watches' movement:
http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/reve...urbillon-2/en/




Spot the Error (It's an official press kit picture, imagine the hilarity):

Those watches are amazing. I'd never get anything done if I had one, because I'd just sit there and watch it move all day.

here's a vid of the gyro in action

another
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-09-2008, 06:05 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by RubxQub

I mentioned it in my post about my watch.

I noticed that there is no face on the press pic, as in no numbers around the border.

That's intentional and the watch in fact looks like it. check again. maybe it's too obvious?
lil smoke
Banned
(05-09-2008, 06:13 PM)

Originally Posted by OnkelC

That's intentional and the watch in fact looks like it. check again. maybe it's too obvious?

You need 31 days for a month.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-09-2008, 06:25 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by lil smoke

You need 31 days for a month.

That's not it, though the direction is right.
linkboy
Member
(05-09-2008, 06:25 PM)
linkboy's Avatar


This is my watch, its not as nice as the ones posted, but I love it. I love the fact that its solar-powered and automatically sets itself.
v0yce
Member
(05-10-2008, 08:16 AM)
v0yce's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

That's not it, though the direction is right.

Are you talking about it having no hands?

I'm pretty sure the 2nd pic is an "interior" shot and not a complete watch.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-10-2008, 08:24 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar
Let's solve this. Unless it's an Escher movement, though...
Captain Glanton
Banned
(05-10-2008, 08:41 AM)

Originally Posted by OnkelC

Let's solve this. Unless it's an Escher movement, though...
[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Uhren/reversogyrofehler.jpg[IMG]

Since it's military time, shouldn't midnight be "00" and not "24"?

Anyway, this thread is prodding me to buy an adult watch [now, I just use my cell phone] for the adult job I'm starting in August. Thanks, guys, another expense! :D
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-10-2008, 11:43 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Captain Glanton

Since it's military time, shouldn't midnight be "00" and not "24"?

Anyway, this thread is prodding me to buy an adult watch [now, I just use my cell phone] for the adult job I'm starting in August. Thanks, guys, another expense! :D

:lol
yeah, a decent watch is the secret ingredient to a serious business outfit.
AMUSIX
Member
(05-10-2008, 01:07 PM)
AMUSIX's Avatar
My wife has been trying to find me a watch for the past few Christmases/Birthdays. She knows I love certain IWCs, but I'm hesitant to wear a 5-figure watch on my wrist.

or


Of course, I could go with something functional...because when you find yourself at the bottom of Lake Baikal, you'll be glad to know your watch will still work.




Fun Fact! The correct time to photograph a watch is between 10:08:30 and 10:09:30.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(05-10-2008, 01:16 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
IWC is top notch for sure.

If you llike the IWC chronos, you could go for one of these for around 250 EUR:
Lobster
Banned
(05-10-2008, 01:33 PM)


white face
Grifter
Member
(05-28-2008, 12:09 AM)
Grifter's Avatar


Onkel, that Fortis is absolutely gorgeous!

I was hoping to find a deal for a new watch online, but all the watch sites warn against that. Does anyone know if the risk is really that bad?

I've been eying a new Tag, but don't want to put out over $1000US ATM. Any recommendations? I just need steel strap and a clean face (not too much activity and in white/black/maybe grey or blue if it's not loud).

I already have an analog Timex compass watch since I get lost a lot, but if you know an elegant watch with compass and maybe a stopwatch, that'd be fantastic too. Only ones I've seen are from Swiss Army and the Tissot T-Touch pictured on the previous page.

Flo_Evans
Banned
(05-28-2008, 12:42 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

Flo_Evans, nice collection and thanks for the Kudos. What brought you to Stührling?

Sorry for the late reply forgot about this thread!

It was a gift from my mom. Never heard of the brand before!

Still need to find my others and take pics of them. My girl has a pretty extensive collection too if anyone is interested in womens watches?
achilles
Member
(05-28-2008, 01:04 AM)
^^^ I'd love to see her collection. I love the design of men's watches, and it's so hard to find similar designs for ladies.

Also, I got to go see the Patek Philippe exhibition when it came around to NY and that Sky Tourbillon is simply beautiful.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(05-30-2008, 02:03 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
Swiss Army watch I got for HS graduation. Had to replace the strap once and the battery a couple of times but it has been a good timepiece.

[IMG]http://i28.************/5am5gj.jpg[/IMG]

I inherited this Seiko chrono. Maybe you can tell the hour hand is stuck! I have heard this is an easy fix for a watch guy but haven't taken it in yet. It's a quartz but the movement goes in 1/3 sec increments. I love all the detail in the dial too. I will probably get a new band as I am not a big fan of faded gold plating. :lol

[IMG]http://i30.************/9gafqe.jpg[/IMG]
MickD
Member
(05-30-2008, 05:51 AM)
MickD's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

IWC is top notch for sure.

If you llike the IWC chronos, you could go for one of these for around 250 EUR:

Do you have a link to an online store? (I have been searching for the past few days)

Thread Tools