• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Grifter
Member
(06-11-2008, 04:28 PM)
Grifter's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

only a tad above the suggestion, but if you would want to shell out that amount for an orange faced diver, I'd sugest going for the original:
http://www.doxawatches.com/collection.htm#

incredible! I'd be tempted to impulse buy if I didn't just get 2 in 3 weeks.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(06-11-2008, 05:20 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by lil smoke

O SHIT look at that DOXA! Damn that is HOT! What is that orange material? Alternate bands?

I shouldn't be looking at this thread. Leaving.

:lol

the dial is orange lacquered steel, there are also rubber bands available for the watch:



all aftermarket bracelets and bands should fit on the watch, too.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(06-15-2008, 12:34 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
A few shots from the weekend:




A tiny crown etched in the crystal, only viewable in certain angles:






elostyle
Never forget! I'm Dumb!
(06-15-2008, 01:08 PM)
elostyle's Avatar
Now the real question. Would you actually take it with you on a dive?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(06-15-2008, 01:26 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by elostyle

Now the real question. Would you actually take it with you on a dive?

without hesitation. Also to showers, doing dishes, cooking and whatnot.
Boken
Banned
(06-15-2008, 03:19 PM)
Boken's Avatar
OnkelC is rolling in style! Maybe I'm just young... But "Watches for the Fine Gentleman" are a little bit chunky sometimes. Are all expensive gentleman's watches like that?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(06-15-2008, 03:23 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boken

OnkelC is rolling in style! Maybe I'm just young... But "Watches for the Fine Gentleman" are a little bit chunky sometimes. Are all expensive gentleman's watches like that?

Currently it's a trend to wear chunkier watches, but watches with smaller diameter and slim cases never went out of fashion. a diameter of less than 40mm and a height of the watch body of less than 12mm are typical dress watch dimensions that go nice under the cufflinks.

Too big/blingy watches are not considered very "gentleman-like", but more like a nouveau-riche abomination btw.:D
HoTHiTTeR
Member
(06-29-2008, 05:37 PM)
Thanks to OnkelC for helping me find this thread again! I wanted to drop by and post a couple pics of my new beauty, and my 25th birthday (July 4th) present to myself;

Tag Heuer Formula 1 Indy 500
[IMG]http://i26.************/mjn142.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collecti...CAC111B.BA0850
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(06-29-2008, 06:29 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
very nice and uncommon choice, congrats on the watch! Feels good to treat yourself to something nice, doesn't it?:D


Had a few more pics taken this morning:






olore
Member
(07-01-2008, 08:12 PM)
olore's Avatar
That is a beautiful Seadweller OnkelC. I see that you own an EZM 3 too. I`ve been eyeing that model for a few weeks now. What do you think about it?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-01-2008, 08:53 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by olore

That is a beautiful Seadweller OnkelC. I see that you own an EZM 3 too. I`ve been eyeing that model for a few weeks now. What do you think about it?

thanks!

The EZM 3 is a great piece, very subtle and reduced on the wrist due to the beadblasted finish. The lume is outstanding and lasts all night long. The bracelet is very well finished, too. Sinns' "3" goes well with a suit as well as with casual outfits and the Sinn-typical tech gadgets (Argon filling, copper sulphate capsule, magnetic shielding, 500 meters WR) make it a joy to wear and own. It's my favorite watch right after the Dweller, in fact I am wearing it right now:lol
Highly recommended watch, I heard that it might get discontinued this year, so if you are on the fence, get one sooner rather than later.

here are a few pics:









SUPREME1
Banned
(07-01-2008, 08:58 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar
Here are my humble, yet very appreciated and often used watches:

The first two are from the same line of Eco-Drive watches from Citizen. They are from the Skyhawk line and are pilot watches.

The first one I had (steel color) I wore like everyday for 4 years and so my wife bought me the second one (black) for our anniversary last year. I love them both:









My G-Shock, wear it when I'm doing something sporty:

Last edited by SUPREME1; 07-11-2008 at 11:45 PM.
aparisi2274
Member
(07-01-2008, 09:46 PM)
aparisi2274's Avatar
I have always liked this one, but I could never pull the trigger on a $200 watch when I have a clock on my phone...

olore
Member
(07-02-2008, 10:19 AM)
olore's Avatar
Thanks for your answer OnkelC. I was watching an EZM 3 on eBay, it closed at 1225$. Maybe should`ve bid on that. If Sinn really are shutting down the 3-production, indeed that puts a different light on the issue. As you say maybe better to move quickly to secure a piece before it is to late.
For other watch-afficiandos, www.watchuseek.com is worth a hit or two. Excellent resource with lots of friendly, knowledgeable members.
Got a feeling you might be a member there already OnkelC...?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-02-2008, 06:34 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by olore

For other watch-afficiandos, www.watchuseek.com is worth a hit or two. Excellent resource with lots of friendly, knowledgeable members.
Got a feeling you might be a member there already OnkelC...?

Keen
Aliens ate my babysitter
(07-10-2008, 12:25 PM)
Keen's Avatar
Soon, sooooooon. But not soon enough =(
taku
Member
(07-10-2008, 12:35 PM)
taku's Avatar
I need a new watch. All I've got is this one :lol

Ephemeris
Member
(07-10-2008, 01:48 PM)
Ephemeris's Avatar

Originally Posted by ImperialConquest




I have that one. Love it :D
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-10-2008, 07:31 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
Eco-Drive movements are a very good concept, shame that the seconds hand doesn't sweep. Some day I'll be able to afford a Spring Drive watch which is a similar concept, but with a fluent sweeping seconds hand, very sexy.

Here's an Eco-Drive I owned before:


LazyLoki
Member
(07-10-2008, 09:54 PM)
LazyLoki's Avatar
hmmm... i need a new camera.

i finally got around and took some photos of my TAG. i wore it daily for the last 8 years, including sports, outdoors and in the army. i'am afraid it shows a little bit, but that's what makes it special :D








Last edited by LazyLoki; 07-10-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Keen
Aliens ate my babysitter
(07-11-2008, 09:38 AM)
Keen's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

Eco-Drive movements are a very good concept, shame that the seconds hand doesn't sweep. Some day I'll be able to afford a Spring Drive watch which is a similar concept, but with a fluent sweeping seconds hand, very sexy.

Here's an Eco-Drive I owned before:
[IMGhttp://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Uhren/smallCIMG5303.jpg/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Uhren/smallCIMG5301.jpg/IMG]
[IMGhttp://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/Uhren/smallCIMG5304.jpg/IMG]


That looks really nice onkel.
What's the deal with eco-drive anyway?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-11-2008, 07:51 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keen

That looks really nice onkel.
What's the deal with eco-drive anyway?

it's a nice concept and the movements are considered quite accurate:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eco-Drive
SUPREME1
Banned
(07-11-2008, 11:48 PM)
SUPREME1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ephemeris

I have that one. Love it :D


Great f*cking taste guy.

Eco-Drive > Time


:lol
Zeke
Member
(07-12-2008, 12:10 AM)
Zeke's Avatar
This is my current watch that I've had for years and haven't used in years. I replaced the awful rubber band with a stainless steel band. The thing eats batteries like you wouldn't believe. I want a new watch but I haven't seen anything that goes with my style sadly.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 10:46 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zeke

This is my current watch that I've had for years and haven't used in years. I replaced the awful rubber band with a stainless steel band. The thing eats batteries like you wouldn't believe. I want a new watch but I haven't seen anything that goes with my style sadly.

what's the style you are looking for?

Also, LazyLoki, what's up with the date display in the TAG? just noticed.


lazy saturday pics:


C.Dark.DN
Banned
(07-13-2008, 11:06 AM)
C.Dark.DN's Avatar
im thinking about getting a pocket watch. what are the different ways to wear them?

-in a texedo vest
-on your jeans in the smal pocket
-?
-?
-?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 11:17 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Wea...atch&id=831844

Getting that perfect pocket watch is just the first step. The next step would be knowing how to wear it. There are actually a lot of ways on how to wear a pocket watch, and it is completely up to you to determine which suits you best.

The first step here is to choose the particular chain you would use in wearing your pocket watch. One such sample would be the belt clip chain. The belt clip chain was first used during the Edwardian period, and it lasted all the way up to the 1930's, about midway through the Art Deco period.

The typical belt chain back then had pinstripes or geometric shapes. Some even bore the initials of the owner, giving it a more personal touch. With the belt chain, all you would have to do is slide the metal piece right over your belt. The metal piece comes with a chain that holds a swivel at its end, which would then hold the pocket watch. With just enough length for the chain, you can then keep your watch inside the pockets of your very own trousers. And don't be afraid to wear your pocket watch with jeans, as that small coin-size pocket just above the regular pocket makes a great place to tuck your watch.

The buttonhole chain is a popular choice as well. The chain itself is attached to a button. It does not really matter what kind of button it is attached to. Whether your button is a fancy metal one or one that is made of leather, the buttonhole chain works just fine. All you have to do is insert the button right into its corresponding hole, and let the chain fall into place. Your pocket watch can then be safely kept inside a pocket nearby. There is not much worry about the chain being tangled up because it is actually attached onto the outward side of the button.

The fob chain, which was introduced during the Victorian period, remains quite the favorite at present. Using this chain is quite simple. Your fob is attached at one end, and the other has a connector for the pocket watch itself. The watch is then tucked safely into the pocket, while the fob would be dangling for the sake of fashion.

What is great about these fob chains is the fact that the fobs come in various designs. Many women enjoy flowery designs, and even lockets, for their fobs. Men, on the other hand, often go for fobs bearing designs of organizations, such as fraternities, clubs, and the like.

These are just some of the popular ways that you can wear a pocket watch. Other chains include the garment clip, the T-bar chain, the spring ring chain, the slide chain, and the watch pin.

http://www.mensflair.com/style-advic...et-watches.php

(,,,) It may sound strange, but make sure that the watch and chain are all of the same metal; the main culprit will be the fob (some watchmakers believe that the fob should be a different metal than the watch, but sometimes that’s tacky, such as copper fob on a brass watch).
(...)
Ideally, you should wear a pocket watches with a vest. The vest usually has a place to connect the watch’s chain, allowing the pocket to rest in the pants pocket. If you don’t wear a vest, then there are some options (such the watch in the back pocket and the fob in the front pocket, or the watch in a front pocket and the chain along the belt towards the front). Make sure that the pants aren’t too tight, as the watch should come easily when pulled, not yanked. Also, wear the chain opposite your natural handedness; you should be able to write and check the time at the same time (the customary side to wear the pocket watch is on the left as most people are right-handed).

Patrick Bateman
Member
(07-13-2008, 11:33 AM)
Patrick Bateman's Avatar
I'm looking for a watch I once saw in the German weekly newspaper "Zeit". It was an analog wrist watch from a company which offered watches in 1910s-, 1920s-, 1930s- and 1940s-style. I really liked the watch that looked like it came out of the 1920s. It had a leather wristband.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company nor do I still have the newspaper. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 11:49 AM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Klaxon

I'm looking for a watch I once saw in the German weekly newspaper "Zeit". It was an analog wrist watch from a company which offered watches in 1910s-, 1920s-, 1930s- and 1940s-style. I really liked the watch that looked like it came out of the 1920s. It had a leather wristband.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company nor do I still have the newspaper. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

was it an article or an advertisement?
Patrick Bateman
Member
(07-13-2008, 11:56 AM)
Patrick Bateman's Avatar
An advertisement.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 12:05 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Klaxon

An advertisement.

tough one, all major brands have advertised in the Zeit. no luck here.
Xater
Member
(07-13-2008, 12:13 PM)
Xater's Avatar
First time I see this thread and it's the perfect timing because I am in need of a new watch. At the moment I have a Casio G-ms but I hate it. I want to "upgrade" to an analog watch and one of my criteria is that I dont wan't a metal armband. I hate those things. It should also be affordable.

From what I found I quite like the Traser H3 P6508 Code Blue:

[IMG]http://i34.************/30954zc.jpg[/IMG]

Some recommendations would be appreciated.
Patrick Bateman
Member
(07-13-2008, 12:13 PM)
Patrick Bateman's Avatar
Hm, I thought that these editions are kinda special, but somehow I can't find any of them.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 12:20 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

First time I see this thread and it's the perfect timing because I am in need of a new watch. At the moment I have a Casio G-ms but I hate it. I want to "upgrade" to an analog watch and one of my criteria is that I dont wan't a metal armband. I hate those things. It should also be affordable.

From what I found I quite like the Traser H3 P6508 Code Blue:

[IMG]http://i34.************/30954zc.jpg[/MG]

Some recommendations would be appreciated.

a bit more input would help a lot. What's your price range, do you want a sporty or a dressy look, automatic movement or quartz movement, leather strap or rubber? what size (circumference) is your wrist?
Xater
Member
(07-13-2008, 12:26 PM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

a bit more input would help a lot. What's your price range, do you want a sporty or a dressy look, automatic movement or quartz movement, leather strap or rubber? what size (circumference) is your wrist?

Alright.

- Price Range: up to 250€ but that's absolut maximum. I would be more comfortable with up to 200€.

- Sporty I think. My example is a military watch.

- Quartz movement.

- Leather strap or textile

- Circumference: 16,5 cm
Cereal KiIIer
Member
(07-13-2008, 12:30 PM)
Cereal KiIIer's Avatar


This is what I have right now


______________________________






This is what I want when I'm able to but aside 5000$ :lol
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 12:37 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Xater

Alright.

- Price Range: up to 250€ but that's absolut maximum. I would be more comfortable with up to 200€.

- Sporty I think. My example is a military watch.

- Quartz movement.

- Leather strap or textile

- Circumference: 16,5 cm

you could check the PRS-10 Quartz from timefactors:
http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm


Or a khaki field from Hamilton:
http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/webapp/...ion/?c=ka&y=76

Seiko and Citizen also carry a wide array of watches in your price range, check out the local warehouses for an overview of available models.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 12:42 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cereal KiIIer
This is what I have right now


______________________________



[IMG

http://www.mattbaily.ca/img/Classico%20AS%20nero.jpg[IMG]


This is what I want when I'm able to but aside 5000$ :lol

STAY ZHE FUCK AWAY FROM UBOAT WATCHES! OVERPRICED TRIPE!
If you are in need of a really oversized watch, go with TWSteel or Zeno for a fraction of the cost!
Cereal KiIIer
Member
(07-13-2008, 12:49 PM)
Cereal KiIIer's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

STAY ZHE FUCK AWAY FROM UBOAT WATCHES! OVERPRICED TRIPE!
If you are in need of a really oversized watch, go with TWSteel or Zeno for a fraction of the cost!


I just like the look to much... It's that or a Omega Seamaster. I would prefer the u boat since i'm probably be the only one ever to have one around here :D
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 01:00 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cereal KiIIer

I just like the look to much... It's that or a Omega Seamaster. I would prefer the u boat since i'm probably be the only one ever to have one around here :D


259EUR list price, cheaper on the bay...

Seamaster would be the way better choice IMHO.
Cereal KiIIer
Member
(07-13-2008, 01:02 PM)
Cereal KiIIer's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC


259EUR list price, cheaper on the bay...

Seamaster would be the way better choice IMHO.


I don't like the metal pins on the strap... Got something to suggest in brown/orange like the uboat?
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-13-2008, 01:14 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cereal KiIIer

I don't like the metal pins on the strap... Got something to suggest in brown/orange like the uboat?

you can mount any aftermarket strap that you like on this (and almost any other) watch without hassle. Any watchstore can do this in a few minutes if you lack the tools or the courage to do this yourself.
Keen
Aliens ate my babysitter
(07-14-2008, 09:45 AM)
Keen's Avatar

Originally Posted by DeathNote

im thinking about getting a pocket watch. what are the different ways to wear them?

-in a texedo vest
-on your jeans in the smal pocket
-?
-?
-?

When I used to wear it with jeans I did have in the small change pocket. Worked pretty well.

Here's a pic of mine:
Zeke
Member
(07-14-2008, 10:00 AM)
Zeke's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

what's the style you are looking for?

something casual not real flashy, I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda guy. I'd prefer something in black.
Edit: I found this watch I really like it simple, sleek, and nice looking not to mention affordable 84 USD.
Last edited by Zeke; 07-14-2008 at 10:44 AM.
LazyLoki
Member
(07-14-2008, 01:09 PM)
LazyLoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by OnkelC

what's the style you are looking for?

Also, LazyLoki, what's up with the date display in the TAG? just noticed.

the date display revolves continually and doesn't jump from one date to the next.
as that picture was taken at around 10:30 pm, it's about to diplay the next date.
pic from right now and a.m. pic as comparison:



Ephemeris
Member
(07-14-2008, 01:31 PM)
Ephemeris's Avatar

Originally Posted by ImperialConquest

Great f*cking taste guy.

Eco-Drive > Time


:lol

:lol :lol I love how the hands spring back to life when I put it on.

I want need that black one.

OnkelC's new tag should read--> Lord of the Timepieces.
slider
Member
(07-15-2008, 04:55 PM)
slider's Avatar
I knew I'd seen this thread.

Got back from a clients house earlier today. He showed me a watch he had... only one way to describe it: Amazing.

No idea how much it costs but I'd guess a lot. I lost all dignity with a girlish scream of "coool".

Tried to find vids on youtube but no luck. Anyone heard of this before?

[IMG]http://i38.************/dpe8w5.jpg[/IMG]

EDIT: It's called a Grisogono Meccanica...
Last edited by slider; 07-15-2008 at 05:01 PM.
CurlySaysX
Banned
(07-15-2008, 05:49 PM)


I want one of these.

Are chronswiss any good?
olore
Member
(07-15-2008, 06:35 PM)
olore's Avatar
Recently i was offered an Marinemaster but passed the deal on to a friend. To EZM 3 or not to EZM 3 that is the question... Hey Onkel, if you ever feel like letting your Sinn go just let me know.
OnkelC
Hail to the Chef
(07-15-2008, 06:57 PM)
OnkelC's Avatar
slider:
heh, that de grisogno is the value of a nice top-of-the.line Audi or BMW:lol
personally, I dislike that steampunk look a bit, but it's a really nice collectors piece.

CurlySaysX:
Chronoswiss is considered a higher-end watch manufacturer. Very reputable amongst collectors. Despite the name, it's a german company based in munich. the watch you pictured will set you back around 7-8000USD, though.

olore, :D

Thread Tools