• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

watervengeance
Member
(05-03-2009, 07:44 PM)
watervengeance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Patriots7

I just started watching it, on episode 6. It's funny. Reminds me of Dragonball/Z.
Just can't get hooked though.

It starts off really slow in my opinion. It gets better though, much better. I think I started really liking it around episode 60~ :lol
The S-Word
Member
(05-03-2009, 07:53 PM)
The S-Word's Avatar
This is the best anime SERIES i have ever watched. I am up to episode 378 i think... truly amazing and i watched this all in a couple of months. It has comedy, amazing action, brutal ass whoopings to everyone and a very likeable hero that isn't preachy in the end.
Twig
Banned
(05-03-2009, 08:05 PM)
Twig's Avatar
Am I the only one who liked One Piece from the beginning? ):

Of course it seems like I'm also the only person left who still likes Dragonball. (Before Goku gets old.)
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-03-2009, 08:06 PM)
gdt's Avatar
Dragonball is soooooo much better than Dragonball Z. So no, you're not the only one.
watervengeance
Member
(05-03-2009, 08:07 PM)
watervengeance's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheOneGuy

Am I the only one who liked One Piece from the beginning? ):

Of course it seems like I'm also the only person left who still likes Dragonball. (Before Goku gets old.)

Dragon Ball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dragon Ball Z
watervengeance
Member
(05-03-2009, 08:40 PM)
watervengeance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

Water 7 is amazing.

btw guys I've wanted to watch One Piece again for the longest. I left off on around ep 120, when Luffy takes on Croc.

But Kaizoku has only subbed up to ep 257 or so. Where do you gets after kaizoku?

ADC-Elites, Vegapunk, Nakama, etc
BeEatNU
WORLDSTAAAAAAR
(05-03-2009, 08:43 PM)
BeEatNU's Avatar
I was stuck from the first anime, I first saw all the wonkyness on CN then I started searching for it and loved it ever since.

I loved Water 7 but I learned Ernies Lobby more. I really enjoyed (recent arc and current) my mind is drawing a blank at the moment :(

It's like even the filler for One Piece is good, the foxxy pirates part lol.
Belfast
Member
(05-03-2009, 08:49 PM)
Belfast's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheOneGuy

Am I the only one who liked One Piece from the beginning? ):

Of course it seems like I'm also the only person left who still likes Dragonball. (Before Goku gets old.)

No, I liked One Piece from the beginning, as well. Thought it was really imaginative even from the get go, but I will admit that the plot doesn't pick up until a couple arcs in (which isn't as long as it seems because the beginning arcs are rather short compared to the later ones).

As for Luffy, I'm thankful to have him as a main character. He's definitely more in the vein of a young Goku (idiot savant, good-nature, highly determined) than say, an emo little shit like Naruto or Bleach.
kaizoku
I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
(05-03-2009, 09:04 PM)
kaizoku's Avatar
Oda is a genius. the world of OP is so awesome and there's still loads to see.

I think OP manga and anime really fit well together. most properties will work better in one format, like yakitate japan works as a manga where full metal panic is better as an anime. But OP takes maximum advantage of both. A lot of moments are more dramatic in the manga, certain jokes work better or certain things look more awesome. But the anime lets other bits shine, other jokes fit and you get the cool animation and voice acting. also filler.

I will seriously seriously be devastated when its all over. For me its not just the best manga/anime duo, its the best adventure ever told. I have no idea how anything will dislodge it.
Belfast
Member
(05-03-2009, 09:11 PM)
Belfast's Avatar
Though the plot, in many of its overarching aspects, follows the usual shonen manga tropes, the design of One Piece's world/inhabitants/characters/etc. is incredibly imaginative. For a medium where it's becoming increasingly hard to tell one character from another, Oda goes to great efforts to make every new introduction fresh and different.

I'd liken him more to a Dr. Seuss or Winsor McCay than any of his fellow manga artists.
Belfast
Member
(05-03-2009, 09:23 PM)
Belfast's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

I've never gotten why One Piece isn't bigger in the west. It's basically made for the west, but it's got a Japanese twist. It's pretty much anyone no matter where should be able to enjoy. Instead the more Japanese stories like Naruto and Bleach are more popular.

Why?

4Kids can't be the only answer.

If there's one anime/manga travesty where it should have taken western pop culture by storm, it's One Piece.

I think it's because a good portion of society still considers any anime/manga as "wacky jappy" despite the basic themes, while the weeaboos are generally more concerned with indulging in all things distinctly Japanese (ninjas, etc.). In other words, it occupies this weird middle-space between levels of acceptance that effectively prevents it from being truly popular in the West.
kaizoku
I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
(05-03-2009, 09:33 PM)
kaizoku's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

I've never gotten why One Piece isn't bigger in the west. It's basically made for the west, but it's got a Japanese twist. It's pretty much anyone no matter where should be able to enjoy. Instead the more Japanese stories like Naruto and Bleach are more popular.

Why?

4Kids can't be the only answer.

If there's one anime/manga travesty where I just can't put my finger on why it isn't more popular than it is currently is, it's One Piece.

it also has a very distinctive art style that is really alien looking when you first see it. After awhile its charm comes out and pretty much everything in the world reeks of imagination and individuality (besides all the pretty women having similar faces!)

But when I first saw OP and the first 5 minutes of him bursting out of a barrel, I turned it off. I started it expecting a typical spiky hair, final fantasy type character like you get in 99% of animes. I'm so glad I gave it another chance, Luffy is now my favourite character of all time. I think the fact Oda's characters can elevate themselves above the regular "cool anime guy" thing says a lot about his storytelling.
nelsonroyale
Member
(05-03-2009, 10:26 PM)
nelsonroyale's Avatar
Yep I was addicted from the start...although I first saw it in Shounen which I bought for DBZ and skipped over it:lol :lol :lol

Now its definitely my fave manga, along with Nausicaa of the valley of the wind....
Dever
Banned
(05-03-2009, 10:33 PM)
I was hooked from the beginning... I started with the manga though, after flipping through some pages of the first book in some store. I do remember a time though where I only read Naruto and Bleach and thought One Piece was that "third really popular manga that looks retarded". :lol
Firestorm
Member
(05-03-2009, 11:10 PM)
Firestorm's Avatar
Luffy is the best balance of dumbass and badass I've ever seen. The only bad arc after they entered the grand line was Skypia imo.
Byakuya769
Santa is Black
Jesus is too
I'll be goddamned
If I buy a WiiU
(05-03-2009, 11:27 PM)
Byakuya769's Avatar
some of you guys have seen eps 399? Where and how?

... my man?
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-03-2009, 11:28 PM)
gdt's Avatar
I don't know why people are so down on Skypeia. I guess it has minimal effect on the One Piece world, but the arc itself is awesome.
flintstryker

(05-03-2009, 11:34 PM)
flintstryker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firestorm

Luffy is the best balance of dumbass and badass I've ever seen. The only bad arc after they entered the grand line was Skypia imo.

funny skypia is one of my favorite arc of the entire series. I alkso love the filler arc that happens after the skypia arc hell i didn't even realized that it was filler at the time.
Mumei
Member
(05-03-2009, 11:35 PM)
Mumei's Avatar
I have this habit with One Piece of almost catching up, and then stopping. I got to the beginning of Water 7, and then dropped it for awhile. I finished Enies Lobby and stopped for a year or so. And now I just finished the Thriller Bark arc this weekend (48 episodes in the last two days <_<, hooray for the first weekend of classes being over).

Wow. I really wish I could have had a series like this growing up.
Firestorm
Member
(05-04-2009, 02:29 AM)
Firestorm's Avatar
He means G7 or whatever. And half of the Davy Back fights were filler =p

For me: Water 7 > Arabasta >> Thriller Bark >> Skypia.
I don't even know what I'm getting into now but shitdamnwow it looks amazing.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-04-2009, 02:38 AM)
gdt's Avatar
Water 7=Thriller Bark (slow opening but holy shit what ending)>Skypeia>>Arabasta


Though the entire thing going down now (it starts with Shabondy) will probably outclass them all.

Edit: And G7 rocked :p.
flintstryker

(05-04-2009, 03:00 AM)
flintstryker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

No shit. This is like, the one cartoon/comic that makes me feel like a little boy again.

Fuck, it's the only anime where I sing the OP out loud dammit. I geek out for One Piece.

Make fun of me, I dare you!



Davy Back fights aren't filler, brah!

I know i wasn't talking about the davy back fight though so...

Edit: yep i was talking about G7
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-04-2009, 03:12 AM)
gdt's Avatar
You know, why doesn't [whoever would make the decision] put One Piece on Hulu, similiar to Naruto's fuck awesome deal.

It seems they are losing money to subbers every weeks.

If you dont know about the Naruto deal, just check out Naruto on Hulu. It's fucking awesome (the deal, not the anime).
BeEatNU
WORLDSTAAAAAAR
(05-04-2009, 03:17 AM)
BeEatNU's Avatar
HA! thriller bark, that's the name lol./
I loved that arc also.
Twig
Banned
(05-04-2009, 03:40 AM)
Twig's Avatar
My favorite arc so far is Thriller Bark.

The ending is just too much.

But the current arc in the manga.... hooooooooly FUCK.

Manga spoilers: I wonder when they're going to get to other characters' mini-arcs. Well. I would've said "mini" before I saw just how awesome and badass everything with Luffy at Impel Down was(/is).
Error
Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
(05-04-2009, 07:06 AM)
Error's Avatar
I liked Drums Island arc, Chopper's past actually got me misty eyed.

I've liked all the arcs so far. The one I'm not crazy about, is the davey back fight arc, but that's more like a transitional arc that links Water7 with Skypiea.
vareon
Member
(05-04-2009, 07:57 AM)
vareon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

All One Piece arcs imo ordered from best to worst.

Water 7 = Thriller Bark > Arlong > Sky Piea > Alabasta > Logue Town and entering the Grand Line > Davy Back Fight > Captain Kuro > Captain Morgan >>>> whatever the fuck Chopper's arc was >>>>>>>> Baratie

If we're including the anime, Apis is by far the worst.

The current arc, however, is shaping up to be the best. But I say that EVERY TIME. "The new One Piece arc is the best one." and it's true. This is one of the few long running stories where it continues to get BETTER AND BETTER as time goes by.

That said, Arlong's still my favorite arc. I got misty eyed when Luffy destroyed that room where Arlong kept Nami locked up in. I fucking cheered when Luffy breaks his nose. To this day Arlong is my favorite One Piece villain because I fucking hated what he did to Nami and her family.

People say One Piece is light-hearted but Nami and Robin's pasts are far more depressing than anything in Naruto or whatever.

In regards to One Piece anime filler I've seen it'd be:

Nami working on her map > That fireworks episode > the episode where Sanji helps that kid cook >>>>>> Apis

This is the first time I've ever seen someone ranked Skypiea above Alabasta.
PseudoKirby
Banned
(05-05-2009, 06:36 AM)
PseudoKirby's Avatar
yay a one piece thread, I must keep track of it *post*


also I am still kinda hoping that Luffy's one or so blows to the poison warden did some kind of major damage that he just is hiding
Twig
Banned
(05-05-2009, 06:45 AM)
Twig's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

541 is out.

Crocodile awesome. Mr. 1 AWESOME. Marine HQ next time! An ARMY OF TRANNIES.

Impel Down is getting fucked up. The guards are running around in circles. lmao @ Buggy and Mr. 3! :lol

The other prison warden looks tough though. If Luffy couldn't handle the poison one, I can't imagine this guy, who's supposedly even more brutal


Think that Oda will go over the other crew mate's adventures or will he just dedicate their arcs to the manga title pages like has continued to do recently?

Oh hell yes. More awesomeness!

I certainly hope he goes through all their adventures. As crew mates I think they deserve more than just a title page story. ):

Whatever happens it will be awesome. O:
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(05-05-2009, 07:20 AM)
grandjedi6's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

Think that Oda will go over the other crew mate's adventures or will he just dedicate their arcs to the manga title pages like has continued to do recently?

An advertisement for One Piece/Dragonball Kai mentioned that the anime would go over the tales not shown in the manga. Conventional wisdom says this will be the strawhats' separate adventures.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-05-2009, 04:47 PM)
gdt's Avatar
Megatonz.
Twig
Banned
(05-06-2009, 02:31 AM)
Twig's Avatar
X:

Guess I'm gonna have to watch the anime ASAP then! Ahh what episode did I last watch. D:

It was filler, I think, in some icy maze, and this guy collected pirate flags? Anyone know what episode? It was far enough back that spoilers shouldn't be an issue, I hope, but just in case.
mjc
Member
(05-06-2009, 02:33 AM)
mjc's Avatar
Is there anywhere I can watch this legally online? Doesn't matter if its subbed or dubbed.
slade
Member
(05-06-2009, 02:36 AM)

Originally Posted by TheOneGuy

X:

Guess I'm gonna have to watch the anime ASAP then! Ahh what episode did I last watch. D:

It was filler, I think, in some icy maze, and this guy collected pirate flags? Anyone know what episode? It was far enough back that spoilers shouldn't be an issue, I hope, but just in case.

Around episodes 326 - 338. It was the arc right after the crew left Water 7.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-06-2009, 02:37 AM)
gdt's Avatar

Originally Posted by mjc

Is there anywhere I can watch this legally online? Doesn't matter if its subbed or dubbed.

No.
I've screamed it out before. Why doesn't [whoever makes that decision] put One Piece on Hulu like Naruto and that new FMA anime? Seems to me like an awesome deal all around.
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(05-06-2009, 04:53 PM)
grandjedi6's Avatar

Originally Posted by gdt5016

No.
I've screamed it out before. Why doesn't [whoever makes that decision] put One Piece on Hulu like Naruto and that new FMA anime? Seems to me like an awesome deal all around.

Well for starters, the new FMA anime is on funimation's site so your wish is pretty close to having come true. As for One Piece, I doubt it'll ever happen. OP is just in a odd sort of popularity where its not popular enough to benefit the companies by streaming but its also not unpopular enough either. Remember, the main reason these companies stream those shows in the first place is to stop fansubbing but it would be against Funimation's interests to do that to One Piece, so no legal streaming :'(

(Also Funimation's long-term hopes to make the One Piece DVDs their Dragonball Z successor probably works against streaming too).
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-06-2009, 04:58 PM)
gdt's Avatar

Originally Posted by grandjedi6

Well for starters, the new FMA anime is on funimation's site so your wish is pretty close to having come true. As for One Piece, I doubt it'll ever happen. OP is just in a odd sort of popularity where its not popular enough to benefit the companies by streaming but its also not unpopular enough either. Remember, the main reason these companies stream those shows in the first place is to stop fansubbing but it would be against Funimation's interests to do that to One Piece, so no legal streaming :'(

(Also Funimation's long-term hopes to make the One Piece DVDs their Dragonball Z successor probably works against streaming too).

Ahh, yes. In OP's case, fansubbing is quite good for it. Oh well :(.
Twig
Banned
(05-06-2009, 05:00 PM)
Twig's Avatar

Originally Posted by slade

Around episodes 326 - 338. It was the arc right after the crew left Water 7.

Danke. (:
grandjedi6
Master of the Google Search
(05-11-2009, 07:59 PM)
grandjedi6's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

There's quite a few things in One Piece that draw parallels to our own own and history.

For example, I think we all know that Den Den Mushi's act as phones, but one thing that not many people know is that at one point in history, scientists thought that snails communicated telepathically, so they attempted to use snails as a communication device. Of course, that didn't work at all, but it does in the world of One Piece.

Another famous example are Blackbeard and Whitebeard, whose names are taken from Blackbeard's real life name, Edward Teach.

What are other things in One Piece that are exaggerated visions of real things? I find it interesting how Oda goes one extra mile to make the world of One Piece feel alive.

Alot of various pirate names in One Piece are loosely based off of real pirates such as Bartholomew Roberts, Samuel Bellamy, Samual Burgess, John Auger, Jean Lafitte, Anne Bonny, Francis Drake, William Kidd, John Hawkins, ect.

Another example is Sanji's fighting style which might be based off the French martial art, Savate.



In completely different news, there are two new teasers for the upcoming 10th movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcC2vew6K1U&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjX1MK646Zk&fmt=18

And no, the english narraration isn't fanmade or a joke, just engrish at its best :lol
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-11-2009, 08:09 PM)
gdt's Avatar
Just finished episode 399, and talk about epic.
BobLoblaw
Member
(05-11-2009, 09:31 PM)
BobLoblaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by gdt5016

Just finished episode 399, and talk about epic.

400's up, but I haven't watched it yet. Now that Kuma's showed up, I think all hell's about to break loose.
Belfast
Member
(05-11-2009, 10:12 PM)
Belfast's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

There's quite a few things in One Piece that draw parallels to our own own and history.

For example, I think we all know that Den Den Mushi's act as phones, but one thing that not many people know is that at one point in history, scientists thought that snails communicated telepathically, so they attempted to use snails as a communication device. Of course, that didn't work at all, but it does in the world of One Piece.

Another famous example are Blackbeard and Whitebeard, whose names are taken from Blackbeard's real life name, Edward Teach.

What are other things in One Piece that are exaggerated visions of real things? I find it interesting how Oda goes one extra mile to make the world of One Piece feel alive.

Yeah, Oda does quite a bit of research, which is why it bothers me when people debate the names of certain characters/objects/etc. Especially when they are clearly inspired by some real life lore, pirate or otherwise.

Franky's real name, Cutty Flam, is inspired by the ship Cutty Sark. That's one off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure Boa Hancock, Eustass Kidd, and Jewelry Bonney all have real pirate-based names. Capone Bege, that ones obvious, and he even looks like a gangster. Not a pirate, maybe, but a related "occupation." :)

Edit: Ah, here we go..

Anne Bonney = Jewelry Bonney
Captain William Kidd = Eustass Kidd
Samuel Bellamy = Bellamy (Doflamingo's subordinate that Luffy easily crushed on Jaya)
Black Bart or Bartholomew Sharp = Bartholomew Kuma
Henry Morgan = Axe-hand Morgan
Edward D. Teach = Blackbeard/Whitebeard
Sir Francis Drake = X.Drake (Supernova)
Sir Richard Hawkins = Basil Hawkins (Supernova)

Edit 2: Shows me to not read farther down the thread. :P
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-11-2009, 10:14 PM)
gdt's Avatar
Just finished 400, my god, shit is about to go down.

Can't wait for Kuma to teleport everyone. That's gonna be pretty heartwrenching.
Belfast
Member
(05-11-2009, 10:31 PM)
Belfast's Avatar
Also, a pet theory I've had for a long time, curious if anyone else thinks it's plausible:

I think that Robin is related to Luffy, mostly likely as a cousin. I've always surmised that Roger ends up being Dragon's brother, and that Roger was in love with Olvia. Hence why she was rarely home to see her daughter, she was traveling around with Roger! Considering Roger could read Ponegliffs, he was probably either taught by Olvia or was a resident of Robin's home island for a period of time.
Belfast
Member
(05-11-2009, 11:22 PM)
Belfast's Avatar

Originally Posted by Himuro

How old is Robin?

And yeah, I've had a theory for the longest that Luffy is related to Gold Roger in some way. He's gotta be.

I believe she was 28 when she joined the Strawhats.
Firestorm
Member
(05-12-2009, 02:52 AM)
Firestorm's Avatar
Yeah Ep400 was awesome. This is an anime only thread right? If you read the manga please please PLEASE mark your spoilers clearly saying they're manga spoilers. I already had some assholes ruin a VERY major plot point on the gaming side in that OP thread Himuro made.
BobLoblaw
Member
(05-12-2009, 02:59 AM)
BobLoblaw's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firestorm

Yeah Ep400 was awesome. This is an anime only thread right? If you read the manga please please PLEASE mark your spoilers clearly saying they're manga spoilers. I already had some assholes ruin a VERY major plot point on the gaming side in that OP thread Himuro made.

Just watched. Soawesome.gif It took 400 episodes to finally get some good info on Rogers, but this episode made it worth it. Luffy's exchange with Usopp was outstanding. :lol Luffy's all about the adventure. Shortcuts be damned! They also tied in some good Brook/Robin stuff. Next week's looks like the beginning of some balls to the walls action with KUMA!
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(05-12-2009, 03:27 AM)
gdt's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firestorm

Yeah Ep400 was awesome. This is an anime only thread right? If you read the manga please please PLEASE mark your spoilers clearly saying they're manga spoilers. I already had some assholes ruin a VERY major plot point on the gaming side in that OP thread Himuro made.

Ehh, I thought this was a dedicated OP thread.




Why don't you read the manga might I ask?
Firestorm
Member
(05-12-2009, 03:58 AM)
Firestorm's Avatar

Originally Posted by gdt5016

Ehh, I thought this was a dedicated OP thread.




Why don't you read the manga might I ask?

It feels like I'm spoiling myself on the show. I've read Naruto and if it's in a similar style, I'd rather not read it. Chapters are too short per week which make it so much harder and I can't really follow the action too well. I also find I read too fast for my own good.

Anyway, how would I follow this series without Luffy's "SUUUGOOIIIIIII" :o goddamn the VA needs a raise
RagnarokX
(05-12-2009, 04:14 AM)
RagnarokX's Avatar

Originally Posted by Firestorm

It feels like I'm spoiling myself on the show. I've read Naruto and if it's in a similar style, I'd rather not read it. Chapters are too short per week which make it so much harder and I can't really follow the action too well. I also find I read too fast for my own good.

Anyway, how would I follow this series without Luffy's "SUUUGOOIIIIIII" :o goddamn the VA needs a raise

But the same amount of material in a chapter is just stretched out into an episode. It makes it seem much slower than it needs to be. You could get the same effect by just reading each chapter very slowly :P

Thread Tools