• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo available for US Plus members

Tizoc

EDIT: For Plus members go to Demos in the PS3's PS Store to find it.
Didn't find a thread about this, but a demo for Sly Cooper 4's available for US Plus members, no word on it being removed yet, as it was not listed in this week's blog post.

iF You got the demo, feel free to post you impressions in this thread.

I personally just got done playing it which was mainly the introductionary level and it was fun. Gameplay looks to be similar to Sly Cooper 2 with the main characters being Sly Bentley and Murray. I found Sly's segment to have some good platforming segments.
When starting the demo you can watch the prologue video which tells what happened after Sly 3, and its a 2D animated cutscene which looks fantastic IMO.
The graphics are colorful and the framerate looks good.
All in all this looks promising, so hopefully the game will deliver.

The only gripe I have is some of the 'hand holding/unnecessary dialog'. For example, you'll need to get a key to continue Sly's segment, and when you get it, Bentley'd tell you to use the key to open the shutter.

If you've got PS Plus and have an itch for a new 3D Platformer this may be the game to check out.

meta4

Awesome. Thanks for the impressions. Really looking forward to this game. When you say you liked the platforming did it remind you of Sly 1? I loved 2 but I dont remember that game having any really standout platforming segments. I mean sure it was there but nowhere as focused and challenging as 1 was.

Also did you play on the PS3 or Vita?

TripOpt55

Yeah I enjoyed it. It is similar to the other games' prologue missions in that is a linear tutorial-y kind of level, but still fun. Fun to get to try all three characters. Pretty much what you'd expect each to play like. The opening story segment is great.

I also played the other demo that came with the Ratchet HD Collection. Because it is a bit further into the game the platforming feels a bit more involved. You also get to try one of the costumes (a robin hood like outfit that shoots arrows and makes ropes for you to run on).

One difference I noticed is that instead of holding circle when doing the back to the wall move you just tap it like with most other things now. Both levels also had the new collectible in them. They are those little Sly symbols (I think they call them masks).

I wouldn't sweat the hand-holding since it was the opening level.

Anyway, I really liked both demos and can't wait for this game. Sanzaru looks to be doing a great job with this one.

Hanmik

How long is the Demo..? is it only the Paris level..? or do you get to play some missions in the first "time zone"..?

Chris_C

It felt wonderfully polished and a breath of fresh air. Can't wait for the vita demo, k hope it performs as well.

ok... how are the load times on the PS3 version..?

Consistent with most other games I've got installed to the HD. Nothing is ever really all that fast for some reason. Maybe you folks that install your own HDs get better speeds, but I'm always disappointed in how long a game like Lumines takes just to start. With that said, nothing about the loading stood out as bad. The game itself, while clearly early in the game, looks and plays great. Only played it on PS3, so I can't comment on the Vita version. Only complaint is a good one - I wanted more.

Consistent with most other games I've got installed to the HD. Nothing is ever really all that fast for some reason. Maybe you folks that install your own HDs get better speeds, but I'm always disappointed in how long a game like Lumines takes just to start. With that said, nothing about the loading stood out as bad. The game itself, while clearly early in the game, looks and plays great. Only played it on PS3, so I can't comment on the Vita version. Only complaint is a good one - I wanted more.

Vita version as a tiny bit of slowdown here and there, and the load times are amazingly long.

Tizoc

Didn't have any load times when I played, heck I never noticed ANY loading. There was loading for some of you guys?

Hope the Vita ver. gets polished up by the release XO.

Didn't have any load times when I played, heck I never noticed ANY loading. There was loading for some of you guys?

Hope the Vita ver. gets polished up by the release XO.

I have retail Vita version, so unless they patch it between now and then, there will be some loading.

Tizoc

@glaurung-
The game wasn't even listed in this week's blog update, so chances are it was meant for NEXT week.

I have retail Vita version, so unless they patch it between now and then, there will be some loading.

Ouch, have you tried contacting them about this on twitter or via e-mail? Hope this gets resolved would love to play this on Vita as well.

Dragun619

I downloaded and installed it with a bunch of games yesterday but I realized I don't really want to ruin the full experience when I'm already set to get the game since it's retail is now $40. Just gonna let my brother try it and give me his impressions instead.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Any chance we can share this thing via dummy account?

Tizoc

wasent there a leaked document before posed on gaf about sony wanting to make either tv series or movies based on r&c j&k and sly

Didn't know about that.
I dunno how a Jak and Daxter animated series would work though. Sly and Ratchet and Clank yes, but not Jak @_@.

noffles

Banned
I played a demo of this at Eurogamer Expo back in September. Any word on whether this is the same demo or am I just going to be jealous of all of your and your subscriptions for a bit?

Musiol

wasent there a leaked document before posed on gaf about sony wanting to make either tv series or movies based on r&c j&k and sly
Yes, it said that Sony is finishing Heavenly Sword animated series, and want make something with Jak, Sly and Ratchet.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
OK here are my impressions as a Sly Cooper fan:

Great frigging job Sanzaru Games...

The first art I saw for Sly4 was atrocious. Really off-putting art style they were using in the comic cutscenes. Especially for Cooper, he looked hideous. I don't know if that stuff was just really early or what, but it's fixed now. Sly looks great, all the characters do...

The actual narrative style is a bit heavy, less nuanced than Sucker Punch's games... but it's a minor quibble. Still has the humor/charm of the older games.

Actually, it's the gameplay where Sanzaru improves on the original Sucker Punch games. Sly and Murray feel pretty familiar, but Bentley is actually fun to play as now. Ripping around in that dude's wheelchair is the most fun part about the demo. Really really crisp, responsive controls, for all the characters, but especially the turtle.

Just really fun. I think Bentley could carry his own game, it's that well done.

Now I'm excited to see what they have done for the other Cooper playables, because after 3 games Sly's repertoire is getting a little stale... and what Sanzaru can do when given a little wiggle room to get creative. Demo just cemented my purchase.

edit: The only complaint I have is that the loadtimes are long as hell. For a second I thought my PS3 had locked up or something. These are like PS2 Stuntman loadtimes lol.

After playing the demo, I want Sony to buy Sanzaru and put them on next-gen Sly and Jak games. Really fantastic work.

As if the pricing wasn't enough to make me confirm my purchase, the demo definitely did.

It's good to see a game that's a labor of love and doesn't compromise any of the classic Sly values. It's old school. If this bombs I swear to god I'm going bust some heads.

Sanzaru are clutch and have done well by Sony's mascot IPs... I'd like to see some Medievil next, or something entirely original

Evolved1

It's good to see a game that's a labor of love and doesn't compromise any of the classic Sly values. It's old school. If this bombs I swear to god I'm going bust some heads.

Sanzaru are clutch and have done well by Sony's mascot IPs... I'd like to see some Medievil next, or something entirely original

I have to play the final game... but atm... I feel like they earned the right to do their own thing. I mean, afaic, I would be interested in an original concept from them.

Empty

oooh hope this comes to eu store soon. i'm excited about the game but i really want to try it out to see what sanzaru have done. gaf impressions are encouraging though.

Evolved1

Oh wait one thing about the demo I forgot TOTALLY SUCKS.

Wtf is that nasty-ass objective indicator hovering under the characters? You can't turn it off?

Disgusting.

Derrick01

Banned
The demo was alright in the sense that if they were trying to make a faithful Sly game then they did a really good job.

The problem is a normal Sly game is kind of boring and very simplistic. I've played 2 different demos now with 2 different levels and they were both incredibly easy and didn't grab my attention at all.

Tizoc

Wtf is that nasty-ass objective indicator hovering under the characters? You can't turn it off?

Disgusting.

IIRC Pressing L3 makes it disappear.

Gonna replay the demo tomorrow as I really liked Sly's segment.
Oh and killing enemies with long range grenades with Bentley is gonna be fun >=3

Disgusting.

It's a compass; you can turn it off, along with the mini-map in the lower right part of the screen from the pause/options menu.

Evolved1

It's a compass; you can turn it off, along with the mini-map in the lower right part of the screen from the pause/options menu.

I ticked that box... the minimap disappeared but the gross indicator remained.

I'll try it again tonight to see if clicking the stick works. But that thing is right out of the obnoxious game design playbook.

jwk94

It's fun. Sanzaru's managed to make it their own without taking away the things that made Sly fun. I'm slightly bothered by the way you pick up coins though. It feels odd. And I hate how the binoculars work. It doesn't make sense to make the right stick move while the left stick is zoom.

Top Bottom