• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

theWB27

No thats not what i'm saying and what a load of nonsense for suggesting such a thing. There's is no single piece of evidence that supports the claim that Project Cars is better looking than driveclub. All we've seen is a game that only looks really good when its raining. The cars look good but the thats about it. The environments are poor. Seriously 2d trees in a 2014 pc game? seriously? This is what PC gamers are supposed to be excited about especially after seeing other games in other genres do better? Smh.

Look, i applaud project cars devs for their efforts. They had x amount of money to spend and they are making the best game possible with that amount of money. I'm sure if they were bankrolled by a publisher, the game would look better. They are also releasing the game on multiple platforms so that spreads their resources. Driveclub is only coming to one platform.

How can you expect a multiplatform game to look better than an exclusive?

giphy.gif

Gestault

I'm a sucker for dramatic times of day, even knowing that overcast tends to give a more realistic impression. The variation mid-race is something that sounds like Driveclub will excel at in ways nothing this side of Project Cars has managed before.

i5Bttu0DJmQ9Q.gif

iFU0rJC1ToZ31.gif

(Forza 5 gameplay)

Wow, judging by those gameplay pictures of Pcars, it looks rather underwhelming, to say the least.

Certainly not as good looking at the staged pictures (well, you could apply this to any game I guess...)

TheCloser

Banned
So what because they've been called out they're suddenly not important?

There's also the video a few pages back with PCars dynamic day/night and weather cycle, yet instead you make comments like this:

Because it isn't dynamic in PCars, right? Does DC have destruction (mechanical/visual) and punctures too?

These claims of PCars being the best are interesting too given we haven't got the wealth of media that we have with PCars.

Oh they are important, i just didn't feel the need to mention them because i assumed that everyone with at least one functioning eye should be able to see it. I will make sure to state the obvious next time.

When i said dynamic, i'm not just referring to the day and night cycle. I was referring to driveclub's dynamic global illumination. This is why the lighting looks so much better and because everything is dynamic, something like this can occur.

photo0094_1400748699.jpg

Korezo

I been following pc for like 2 years already and every video I see of actual gameplay of hot laps, the player is never impressed with the graphics. I bet to get the game to run how the devs are showing you'll have to run custom graphics settings with the gpu and down sample like crazy. Because Assetto looks almost exactly like pc and the graphics are ok, nothing mind blowing. And why isn't Assetto on the list?

Synth

Oh they are important, i just didn't feel the need to mention them because i assumed that everyone with at least one functioning eye should be able to see it. I will make sure to state the obvious next time.

When i said dynamic, i'm not just referring to the day and night cycle. I was referring to driveclub's dynamic global illumination. This is why the lighting looks so much better and because everything is dynamic, something like this can occur.

photo0094_1400748699.jpg

I'm in agreement that Driveclub looks nicer than Project Cars... but no way are you taking what the image states at face value... no way...

Gestault

photo0094_1400748699.jpg

For the record, real-time photonic simulations (which is what they describe in that image) would be computationally impractical, if not impossible. That's beautiful attention to detail, but it's almost certainly a pre-computed shader.

Is that not just the dithering?

I like the look of the effect, but the "god rays" in-car for Forza 5 are a little exaggerated, so on some turns it looks sort of smokey.

TheCloser

Banned

Why are you shaking your head? Is english your second language?

Basically what theCloser is saying is there's nothing you can show that's going to convince him/her that there is anything any other racer does that touches anything DC does. Pack it in....

The bolded is saying that if presented with sufficient evidence, i won't change my mind and thats not the case. I said that there is no single piece of evidence that supports the claim. In any screenshot you post, we will see one of these things:
-Poor environments
-2d trees
-Questionable road textures
-2d crowds
-lack of attention to detail

The game has to be consistent to surpass driveclub. It hasn't proven that the quality is consistent all around. This may change by the time it's released but at this point

Cygnus

Banned
I like the look of the effect, but the "god rays" in-car for Forza 5 are a little exaggerated, so on some turns it looks sort of smokey.

Yea I've noticed from videos, It does seem like a strange decision to have the sun blinding you on certain corners.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
See these look better but its still nothing special. The only thing that looks good is the car, rain and the grass. Everything else looks subpar. Back to the previous image i posted:
c0ngrod.jpg

If we ignore the lighting, wtf is that shit on the left? Did they run out of polygons? Project Cars is littered with things like this. The level of detail isn't there, the lighting isn't as good as driveclub. The reflections aren't as good. Driveclub is just in another class and only racing games with triple A budgets will surpass it. They have the money and manpower to pay attention to details.

I wish people that don't know how to setup pcars graphics properly would stop posting terrible screenshots of WIP tracks /cars that arent polished.

Here is some direct 100% gameplay shots that don't look like poo:

(not my video or shots:)

14043315777_aca073040b_b.jpg

iNzXzkfgtpfG5.jpg

i6ZSRzqZSLqxj.jpg

iUYYZeZlhFzOs.jpg

isSvLEghqx1jj.jpg

Walk around of pagani huayra in game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMH2oehCptc

and a few screens I took direct gameplay:

vlcsnap-2014-05-23-14h46m40s75 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2014-05-23-14h46m28s224 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2014-05-23-14h42m48s16 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

pCars 2014-05-14 08-57-27-03 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

vlcsnap-2014-05-08-22h54m19s27 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

4k screen2 by halcyphoto, on Flickr

upload by halcyphoto, on Flickr

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the OP of the "driving simulators" (ie, non Mario Kart)... Forza is the only game that's actually been released, right?

theWB27

Why are you shaking your head? Is english your second language?

The bolded is saying that if presented with sufficient evidence, i won't change my mind and thats not the case. I said that there is no single piece of evidence that supports the claim. In any screenshot you post, we will see one of these things:
-Poor environments
-2d trees
-Questionable road textures
-2d crowds
-lack of attention to detail

The game has to be consistent to surpass driveclub. It hasn't proven that the quality is consistent all around. This may change by the time it's released but at this point

English is my first and only language....you admitted to DC having worse ground textures. We've also seen many a person point out the IQ in DC. When people present you with a pic....you slam even the most minute detail and present DC like it has no faults.

Driveclub is not consistent through everything it does. You're requiring other games to be just that though...perfect in order to surpass you're opinion of DC.

You point out Global Illumination. Uh....Project Cars has that with weather. You point environmental in-consistencies in PC when DC has them too.

In one of the pics someone posted with the railings...you said to discount the lighting so that you could point out the rails to the side. When someone mentioned the ground textures in DC...you said you thought that was a given so you wouldn't bring it up.

You're not arguing fair....that's why I posted the response I posted. People have posted plenty of pics to show PC cars in more than a good spot....you slam it in favor of DC EVERYTIME.

14230066876_6ae628edc5_h.jpg

How does DC look better than this? PC is pushing physics at 60fps and looks like this....how can you say PC does nothing better?

ed3dfx

That looks amazing, would love to see a less compressed version. You can tell the P1 isn't finished though as there no AO.

100% correct, that is a early WIP first export with missing AO, wheel blur among other things, it still looks pretty decent IMO. the problem with pcars is because its still in development and totally open to tweaking almost every aspect of the graphics, people dont know how to properly configure everything, from exposure to sky brightness etc.. there are a lot of variable and it takes some fine tuning to get everything looking solid. When we get closer to release I think they will nail down the inconsistancy we see now with all the screenshots.

Of course its easy for me to take a screenshot of a track that has mid way through development, missing polish and say it doesnt hold up. Brands hatch is one of the most polished in the game at the moment if you want a reference to go by.

TyrantII

I'm in agreement that Driveclub looks nicer than Project Cars... but no way are you taking what the image states at face value... no way...

Maybe, maybe not. Its actually not much different than subsurface scattering . Obviously its not being done in real time at a resolution compatible to photons in reality. But ingame with ray tracing? Plausible.

Leb

Out of curiosity, what exactly am I seeing with respect to DC's IQ? It's not bad or anything, but there seems to be this, I don't know, fuzziness to a lot of the shots and it almost looks like parts of the image are exhibiting dithering or something. Or is that just the way that the motion blur is implemented?

Out of curiosity, what exactly am I seeing with respect to DC's IQ? It's not bad or anything, but there seems to be this, I don't know, fuzziness to a lot of the shots and it almost looks like parts of the image are exhibiting dithering or something. Or is that just the way that the motion blur is implemented?

If you're talking about the official shots then for whatever reason they use a grain filter on them.

TheCloser

Banned
English is my first and only language....you admitted to DC having worse ground textures. We've also seen many a person point out the IQ in DC. When people present you with a pic....you slam even the most minute detail and present DC like it has no faults.

Driveclub is not consistent through everything it does. You're requiring other games to be just that though...perfect in order to surpass you're opinion of DC.

You point out Global Illumination. Uh....Project Cars has that with weather. You point environmental in-consistencies in PC when DC has them too.

In one of the pics someone posted with the railings...you said to discount the lighting so that you could point out the rails to the side. When someone mentioned the ground textures in DC...you said you thought that was a given so you wouldn't bring it up.

You're not arguing fair....that's why I posted the response I posted. People have posted plenty of pics to show PC cars in more than a good spot....you slam it in favor of DC EVERYTIME.

14230066876_6ae628edc5_h.jpg

How does DC look better than this? PC is pushing physics at 60fps and looks like this....how can you say PC does nothing better?

Show me a rain shot of Driveclub and then we will compare, oh wait...... We've already established that this game looks good in the rain. All racing games look good in the rain, this is pretty much a given. Go back and look at the screenshots in the day, 2d trees and questionable textures are present even though they are hidden by DOF. Remove the DOF and then show me the image because when watching the videos, its very evident to me. This is what i mean by Staged Screenshots vs Gameplay Screenshots. Sorry but i've seen the vids and it doesn't look that good all the time.

This is like those watch dogs screen shot that capture the light at the right moment to make you think it looks good. Go look watch the gameplay vids.

They're using temporal AA AFAIK. It's a shit idea for a racing game but hey ho.

Corine

I haven't seen any racing game look better than Project Cars graphically. It's doing some really amazing stuff.

theWB27

Show me a rain shot of Driveclub and then we will compare, oh wait...... We've already established that this game looks good in the rain. All racing games look good in the rain, this is pretty much a given. Go back and look at the screenshots in the day, 2d trees and questionable textures are present even though they are hidden by DOF. Remove the DOF and then show me the image because when watching the videos, its very evident to me. This is what i mean by Staged Screenshots vs Gameplay Screenshots. Sorry but i've seen the vids and it doesn't look that good all the time.

This is like those watch dogs screen shot that capture the light at the right moment to make you think it looks good. Go look watch the gameplay vids.

Damn....you surely are moving them goalposts to keep your baseless argument up. So we have to gimp PC to DC's level in order to show DC in the best light? Gotcha....remove DOF, rain makes any racer look better....you have gameplay pics on this page.

Like my original comment said...

Basically what theCloser is saying is there's nothing you can show that's going to convince him/her that there is anything any other racer does that touches anything DC does. Pack it in....

ed3dfx

Not taking requests as I don't have time at the moment, but you will see some proper daytime gameplay soon:

izo0gvDc4JL40.gif

Nafai1123

Banned
I did some research and I think I know why Driveclubs lighting looks better than PCars despite both of them having time of day.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/23/solar-system-inside-project-cars-galileo-engine/

Image-based lighting is key to pCARS’ often photorealistic looks, a dynamically convolved cubemap driving its ambient lighting to avoid the flat, CG-like surfaces of mere mortal car games.

Ambient lighting is an approximation and is not a true form of global illumination. It is, however, significantly less intensive than true global illumination.

IBL is a capture of lighting conditions to simulate the lighting of objects in the world. It is an algorithm used in global illumination, but it is not what defines global illumination.

If Driveclub is using "true" global illumination, it must be using diffuse inter-reflection, which ambient lighting attempts to approximate.

There are many things that PCars is doing dynamically (that article talks about some crazy fucking sound dynamics involving wind/temperature/altitude) but in regards to the lighting, Driveclub is by all technical means a step above PCars and it shows.

Synth

Show me a rain shot of Driveclub and then we will compare, oh wait......

Why are we eliminating graphical aspects because another game doesn't have them? That's like me saying "Show me a night shot from Forza 5!". If Project Cars has weather and Driveclub doesn't, then that's a plus for Project Cars.

rashbeep

Banned
I did some research and I think I know why Driveclubs lighting looks better than PCars despite both of them having time of day.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/23/solar-system-inside-project-cars-galileo-engine/

Ambient lighting is an approximation and is not a true form of global illumination. It is, however, significantly less intensive than true global illumination.

IBL is a capture of lighting conditions to simulate the lighting of objects in the world. It is an algorithm used in global illumination, but it is not what defines global illumination.

If Driveclub is using "true" global illumination, it must be using diffuse inter-reflection, which ambient lighting attempts to approximate.

There are many things that PCars is doing dynamically (that article talks about some crazy fucking sound dynamics involving wind/temperature/altitude) but in regards to the lighting, Driveclub is by all technical means a step above PCars and it shows.

Yes, this definitely helps make the lighting look spot on (especially in the morning/evening ToDs). The ENBseries mod for games like Skyrim let you do this as well and when used properly, has some fantastic results. The unified lighting/shadowing system is also very impressive (not many games I know of do this, the few I can think of are Doom 3, Crysis, STALKER, etc).

TheCloser

Banned
(Someone presents a beautiful, real-time screenshot as evidence)

Interesting.

Lol, nope. Moving goalposts nope. I said that there is no comparison shot for driveclub. We are comparing like for like when it comes to screenshots. Did i say the rain screenshot doesn't look good. Yes it looks good. Notice that the only good looking screenshots are the ones involving rain?

This is a screenshot he posted:

Am i seriously supposed to be impressed by this. I didn't even take the screenshot and its the same game.

Check out these wonderful 2d trees on the right:
14141538165_4f4ab36b3a_h.jpg

Check out these wonderful 2d tree textures on the left nicely hidden by the lack of light in the environment. Please note the crappy fence texture as well.
iUYYZeZlhFzOs.jpg

Please, seriously just stop. I can show you amazing rain screenshots from code masters f1 2013 that look good:

Omg, those graphics and the 3d crowd. Wow.gif

theWB27

Lol, nope. Moving goalposts nope. I said that there is no comparison shot for driveclub. We are comparing like for like when it comes to screenshots. Did i say the rain screenshot doesn't look good. Yes it looks good. Notice that the only good looking screenshots are the ones involving rain?

This is a screenshot he posted:

Am i seriously supposed to be impressed by this. I didn't even take the screenshot and its the same game.

Check out these wonderful 2d trees on the right:
14141538165_4f4ab36b3a_h.jpg

Check out these wonderful 2d tree textures on the left nicely hidden by the lack of light in the environment. Please note the crappy fence texture as well.
iUYYZeZlhFzOs.jpg

Please, seriously just stop. I can show you amazing rain screenshots from code masters f1 2013 that look good:

Omg, those graphics and the 3d crowd. Wow.gif

It's ok...you can stop at anytime

TheCloser

Banned
Not taking requests as I don't have time at the moment, but you will see some proper daytime gameplay soon:

izo0gvDc4JL40.gif

I didn't say rain doesn't look good. I said there is no like for like comparison. Except you plan on playing the game in rain all the time, its not going to look like that all the time.

Gestault

I just blocked thecloser. That whole exchange was asinine. He was too busy proving how unreasonable he could be to actually look at the video he asked for of the image he said was too staged.

theWB27

If you want to discuss or debate something, do it by critiquing my argument not by going, "oh lol stuff". What about my post are you critiquing?

I've critiqued your argument enough. We are comparing racing games...no where does it say they have to fit DC's feature set to make it valid. Only you are making that a requirement.

Everytime someone presents something DC doesn't have, you disregard it. Your whole argument is moot because of that. You keep pointing out trees.

The overall package of Pcars looks better than DC. It's doing more with physics, fps, and weather. Just because DC isn't doing so...doesn't dilute what you're seeing.

As others have said...you've got to be trolling at this point....so I'll this be.

Top Bottom