• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?

This was the best Nintendo Direct yet.

This year's schedule for Wii U was looking grim, and just like that, it all of a sudden looks very promising. I liked every game they showed and will probably be getting all of the titles.

I also like that even though they showed plenty they also left the real big guns for a later unveiling (Tokio Mario, Mario Kart, Retro and Smash). I believe there is a strong possibility that we may see Mario and Kart release this fall to follow 3DS resurgence.

One of the things I find most refreshing is Iwata acknowledging problems and explaining the situation. I appreciate the honesty and its a stark contrast with, say, Sony and the vita and how there is basically dead noise from their part when it comes to the lack of software. I respect Nintendo for that as a consumer and fan.

Real talk, like none of the games announced today are coming out this year, so how does this change anything about their 2013 lineup?

I...don't see the big deal. Only news was the X game. Otherwise they just reminded everyone that Mario, Smash, and Zelda will be coming at some point, because they're obviously feeling the pressure.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done so. It's the best they could have done, really, since third parties don't give a shit. If anything this Direct should have come much earlier to get people hyped up.

Eteric Rice

They still need to fix the account system, where games are linked to the account. They also need to address the load times on the system.

Other than that, it was a damn good Direct! Very excited!

NickMitch

This ND was great for giving me some confidence that they will keep the system fresh throughout. I have lots of hours to spend on the games that i already own for the WiiU and i still have some already released titles that i want to play. So for me...

Best news : 30 SEK (swedish kronor) wiiu virtual console trial - incluing Super Metroid.
Second best - User created miiverse communities
Third best - Promise of a change of the zelda formula
Fourth best - Playable demos of MK and SMB @ E3
Fifth best - wii u gamepad virtual console
Sixth best - Wind Waker HD. Its my favourite zelda game.

CrisKre

Real talk, like none of the games announced today are coming out this year, so how does this change anything about their 2013 lineup?

At least Wind Waker remake and Yoshi are coming out this year. So is Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 which showed great improvements. So I dont see your point. At all.

_woLf

This pretty much confirmed to me that they've realized they kinda fucked up with the lack of games. This should inspire confidence in 3rd parties too.

leroidys

The ND was amazing, obviously, but it left quite a bitter taste. WW HD looks terrible, and the new Mother project being some Japan-only rom dump makes me sick to my stomach. Mother series and WW are probably my favorite games of all time, so you'd think that them announcing new things in each series would feel better...

OTOH, the new xenoblade looks all kinds of amazing, and FE x SMT has me intrigued.

saichi

What do I want with release dates? Sitting here mourning over how long time I have to wait to play these games?

You guys...

not talking about the new announced titles but we still don't have any dates for Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U and Game & Wario... even if the 3 titles will be released after March 1st, they should get some kind of release date by now...

jrDev

How long did it take? People complain that Nintendo only announces games in a short window, then they announce games that won't arrive for some time and people still complain.

I'm not disagreeing that some of this should have been ready sooner, just find it funny that some complain if they don't announce title's early enough and then others complain if they do :)
Hmm, this is true. Never caught that...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
If anything else I'm more disappointed at people saying W101 is not deserving of the full game price.

What the fuck, you people?

jeremy1456

I...don't see the big deal. Only news was the X game. Otherwise they just reminded everyone that Mario, Smash, and Zelda will be coming at some point, because they're obviously feeling the pressure.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done so. It's the best they could have done, really, since third parties don't give a shit. If anything this Direct should have come much earlier to get people hyped up.

They announced the Yoshi game, Wind Waker HD, X, and Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei.

The fact that they are showing off Mario Kart at e3 seems to be a very good indication it will be out this year.

Tookay

One of the things I find most refreshing is Iwata acknowledging problems and explaining the situation. I appreciate the honesty and its a stark contrast with, say, Sony and the vita and how there is basically dead noise from their part when it comes to the lack of software. I respect Nintendo for that as a consumer and fan.

Here's the thing though.

They've already had to apologize for the 3DS. They supposedly learned from their mistakes there.

I appreciate the apology too, and I like Iwata, but more than an apology, I think it would say more if they didn't create the ecosystem necessitating the apologies in the first place.

zoukka

The internet blog and forum culture is really fascinating and probably the reason why we see companies being this forward nowadays and even apologizing for things that need none (long game development cycles for big titles). Are gamers really becoming so entitled and pandered, that they need this treatment to stay content?

The internet blog and forum culture is really fascinating and probably the reason why we see companies being this forward nowadays and even apologizing for things that need none (long game development cycles for big titles). Are gamers really becoming so entitled and pandered, that they need this treatment to stay content?

It's more a matter of not having games for their consumers to play. I don't know if you've been around the block long ago, but developers have given out apologies before.

How about the ridiculously slow loading times for the Wii U OS? That's definitely something to apologize for. And some that def needs fixing. I don;t see how that makes us entitled.

Aiii

So not worth it
How about the ridiculously slow loading times for the Wii U OS? That's definitely something to apologize for. And some that def needs fixing. I don;t see how that makes us entitled.

Apologise? Why? Because you feel you're waiting too long? Come on, that's a bit of a stretch. They heard peoples complaints and are fixing the problem, that's all they need to do in their service to their clients. They definitely don't need to apologise for it as if it's some terrible thing they've done to the Wii U owners.

squid

This ND was exactly what I wanted from Nintendo. Gives us WiiU owners something to look forward to further than a couple of months ahead.

It was a necessary move, and while it did pique my interest I still feel like the Wii U lineup is totally anaemic. The hardware is way too expensive and after the Wii I know that third party support will simply not be there. It is the same with every single Nintendo console. I own a 3DS and haven't touched it in months for the same old reason - nothing to play.

When the 3D Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are actually released, and the console is cheaper, I will definitely buy one. Nintendo still make some of the best games in the world, after all.

But the 360 and PS3 are still going strong after 8 years and the Wii died a while ago. There is no reason to suppose this generation is going to be any different. So what am I going to invest in?

Nintendo redeemed themselves without a doubt. Now to top more on at e3.

Smash 4, Mario Kart U, Mario U @ E3. We know this for a fact.
Maybe even Zelda U, but at least Wind Waker HD.
I think it will top this ND.
At least as long as Nintendo doesn't talk all day long about how Miiverse is changing the gaming community and bla.

Kenka

• no dates announced for their system upgrades/games presented
  • they still haven't met gamers' expectations regarding their online infrastructure
  • no game announcement for 3DS
  • when am I supposed to receive or HD remakes from the past a la Super Street Fighter HD Remix (WW aside)?
  • do I have more incentives to look forward to playing with the Pad?
  • the upcoming VC will receive only few titles per month?
  • no price drop for WiiU?
  • ...third-parties?

I guess the answer is a resounding "no". OK, throwing in a few collaborations, an HD sequel to a popular RPG and an HD remake is cool but what about offering stuff the competition can't?

Desiato

I just realized something. The coming Nintendo Directs will automatically be labelled as disappointing, because this one was so good.

saichi

• no dates announced for their system upgrades/games presented
  • they still haven't met gamers' expectations regarding their online infrastructure
  • no game announcement for 3DS
  • when am I supposed to receive or HD remakes from the past a la Super Street Fighter HD Remix (WW aside)?
  • do I have more incentives to look forward to playing with the Pad?
  • the upcoming VC will receive only few titles per month?
  • no price drop for WiiU?
  • ...third-parties?

I guess the answer is a resounding "no". OK, throwing in a few collaborations, an HD sequel to a popular RPG and an HD remake is cool but what about offering stuff the competition can't?

why would there be 3DS announcement and third party when the event is called Wii U Direct Nintendo Games?

EDIT:
You may have a point with 3DS announcements but as for third parties, the hint is in the thread title.

"did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?"

Third party support is a big complaint and it was not addressed in this ND. This ND may not have been meant for third party announcements but the original poster did ask.

fair enough

Apologise? Why? Because you feel you're waiting too long? Come on, that's a bit of a stretch. They heard peoples complaints and are fixing the problem, that's all they need to do in their service to their clients. They definitely don't need to apologise for it as if it's some terrible thing they've done to the Wii U owners.

I don't know if an apology is necessary or important, but you're taking a weird stance here. You acknowledge that they are fixing the problem. It necessarily follows that early adopters who paid $300+ for this new hardware received a product that was broken to some degree. Now, in most customer service jobs, when it's acknowledged that a mistake was made, an apology follows. It may be token and meaningless, but the gesture is just part of normal etiquette.

Xiaoki

why would there be 3DS announcement and third party when the event is called Wii U Direct Nintendo Games?

You may have a point with 3DS announcements but as for third parties, the hint is in the thread title.

"did Nintendo address pretty much every complaint/expectation in Nintendo Direct?"

Third party support is a big complaint and it was not addressed in this ND. This ND may not have been meant for third party announcements but the original poster did ask.

Smash 4, Mario Kart U, Mario U @ E3. We know this for a fact.
Maybe even Zelda U, but at least Wind Waker HD.
I think it will top this ND.
At least as long as Nintendo doesn't talk all day long about how Miiverse is changing the gaming community and bla.

Iwata talking about miiverse did drag on, but I don't blame him. I've put over 40 hours into this month. They know the amount of hours ppl are putting into and know its a big thing for them. I'm sure they were trying to attract new ppl with it in this direct and finish them off with the games they announces/showed.

Top Bottom