• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
asscreedoriginssysreqqnjwm.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Mitigate stuttering: Right-click on the game's executable, select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and tick "Disable fullscreen optimizations". (Credit to code @ Steam Community via deejay.)
Toggle HUD: Use this tool. (Credit to The Janitor.)
Fix incorrect colour reproduction when using HDR in conjunction with RTSS: Close RTSS prior to launching the game and reopen it once the game is running. (Credit to Gn0mercy.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Screen calibration: Self-explanatory
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Window mode: Fullscreen; Windowed; Borderless
Active monitor: Self-explanatory
Aspect ratio: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Resolution modifier: 50%; 60%; 70%; 80%; 90%; 100%; 120%; 140%; 160%; 180%; 200%
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Off; On; Adaptive
Field of view: 85 -> 115 in increments of 1
FPS limit (not shown): Off; 30fps; 45fps; 60fps; 90fps

Performance tools (benchmark): Self-explanatory
Graphics quality (preset): Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra High
Dynamic resolution: Off; 30fps; 45fps; 60fps
Anti-aliasing: Off; Low; Medium; High; Adaptive
Shadows: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra High
Environment details: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra High
Texture detail (environment): Very Low; Low; Medium; High
Tessellation: Off; Medium; High; Very High
Terrain: Medium; High

Clutter: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High
Fog: Medium; High; Very High
Water: Low; Medium; High; Very High
Screen-space reflections: Off; Medium; High
Volumetric clouds: Off/On
Texture detail (characters): Very Low; Low; Medium; High
Character detail: Very Low; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra High
Ambient occlusion: Off; High; Very High
Depth of field: Off/On

sgs2008

so maxed out, AA on low. A titan x(pascal) and a 7700k at 4k game runs between 45-60 FPS, actually runs better in the open world than in the starting area. SLI not working though :(

TheRed

Game runs pretty nice for how damn good it looks. For the most part 60+fps on GTX 1080 at 1440p all ultra settings. Should probably tweak down some because it does drop under in the more cluttered areas but that might be more on my CPU, which is an i5 4670k.

JaseC

My benchmark results (1080p + Ultra High):

32GB DDR4-3200, i7 6800K @ 4.2GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 388.00, Win10 x64.

Edit: There are two lines because I ran it twice.

Stiler

This game is pegging my cpu so hard ,even when I'm not in game and just on the main menu, etc I'm getting like 100% cpu usage on my 2600k @ 4.4ghz, anyone else getting this?

Carm

This game is pegging my cpu so hard ,even when I'm not in game and just on the main menu, etc I'm getting like 100% cpu usage on my 2600k @ 4.4ghz, anyone else getting this?

I7-6700 stock
970GTX
16gb Ram

Playing at 1080p, everything on high except shadows and AA. According to Afterburner core 1 on main menu 70-75% and in game somewhat even across cores 76-85%, saw core 4 hit 90%. It was higher earlier. I guess adaptive quality was making it higher. Not sure why adaptive quality would have done that, figured that was all gpu related.

This is the first game I’ve played since building this in late June that has made CPU temp hit 70c, usually hovered around 60c no matter the game prior to this. Concerning, but googling seems to suggest that temp is fine so I dunno.

sertopico

Just played the game briefly, looks great and runs well but is there any kind of temporal reconstruction going on? The image looks weird especially in outdoor areas, the contours of the objects are blurred and not particularly defined, like it's running at a lower resolution. Could be the AA used?

My rig:
i76700k@4.5
16GB Ram
980Ti@1.5Ghz

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Game is very CPU intensive. It's using all of my 4790k which no other recent game does. Still runs amazingly though.

CPU is hitting 62c temp which is way higher than it's been in a long time.

4790k@4.4
1440p

Lancelot

And about the neutral review state on Steam? Mostly are technical complaints, like bugs and poor performance.

nkarafo

Yeah, i don't expect this game to have any kind of stable performance after trying a few previous entries.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'd settle for 60fps at 1080p on my 1070 but even that looks sketchy.

Pretty sure a 1070 will easily 60fps this game at 1080.

A setting or two for locked, this doesnt look more demanding than Unity so im guessing whats gonna cause people problems is gonna be weak CPUs.

i7-7700k
GTX 1070 SC
16gb ddr4 3000mhz
SSD

At 1440p "Ultra High" I got an average of 58 fps in the benchmark tool.

Played the first 30 min or so and Its mostly near 60fps, dips lower in the city. I saw dips down to like 48 fps. Going to play with shadow detail and some other settings and see what has a major impact.

Jelle

Trying to tweak the game for my 980... looks like 60fps will be a possibility with some things turned lower/off.

Has anyone gotten RivaTuner Statistics Server display the FPS? 7.0.0 Beta 30 does not on my system. /edit: it works when I also have MSI Afterburner running.

Anoxida

i7-7700k
GTX 1070 SC
16gb ddr4 3000mhz
SSD

At 1440p "Ultra High" I got an average of 58 fps in the benchmark tool.

Played the first 30 min or so and Its mostly near 60fps, dips lower in the city. I saw dips down to like 48 fps. Going to play with shadow detail and some other settings and see what has a major impact.

Looks like a cpu heavy game. Im playing with a 1080 and a 2600k thats OC'ed to 4.4 but I hit lower fps than that. Same setting same resolution.

vakarian32

Tried it out on my media PC today

Ryzen 5 1400
8GB DDR4-3000
GTX 1070 ITX

1080p mix of Very High and High. Vsync 60 fps mostly, a few dips in the crowded streets.

I also played around with resolution render % slider, like 1080p 120%, 2160p 70% etc. but it introduced too much stutter. Mostly likely the Ryzen 1400 not keeping up at stock clocks.

Kureizu

GTX 1070

1080p Very High preset. The game runs great in the open world. Around 90-110 fps. Goes lower in towns, I just reached the first big city and the framerate goes to 50-70.

Gigaryu

Neo Member
I noticed some sounds dont play and i have no sound at all during cutcenes. Any idea whats causing this issue?

JaseC

which aa does the game use?

also why the fk does steam dl the game again after unpacking preload?

It doesn't. Pre-load data is just updated as part of the unpacking process (not that the client is transparent about this), which is why the countdown jumps all over the place.

dragn

It doesn't. Pre-load data is just updated as part of the unpacking process (not that the client is transparent about this), which is why the countdown jumps all over the place.

yes it does, moves the preload game files to another folder and wants to dl the whole game again for 2hrs

JaseC

yes it does, moves the preload game files to another folder and wants to dl the whole game again for 2hrs

When a game unlocks, Steam unpacks the encrypted game data, which is downloaded in compressed 1GB chunks, to the installation folder and updates it on-the-fly. It won't actually take two hours for the game to unpack, assuming you have, at minimum, a relatively modern system and vaguely decent internet.

That said, if Steam actually is downloading the whole game again, then, well, all I can say is that's not supposed to happen.

dragn

how can i get 28avg fps with my 2560x1080p and 200% scaling which are 5,5million pixel and the benchmark from pcgh in 4k so 8,3 million pixel gets the same?

how can i get 28avg fps with my 2560x1080p and 200% scaling which are 5,5million pixel and the benchmark from pcgh in 4k so 8,3 million pixel gets the same?

Youre misunderstanding how resolution scaling works. The % is the increase per axis. 200% of 2560x1080 is 5120x2160

Riviawolf

Neo Member
So.. can anyone give me an idea of how well it'll run - in comparison to their specs?

i7 3820 OC'd 4.6Ghz
980 Ti
16Gb RAM

@ 1440p

I assume that I can dial back a few things - without losing too much quality, from what I'm reading - and hit 60FPS?

Thankfully I've got G-Sync (Predator X27) - so some dips in framerate shouldn't be TOO horrible.

At this point - anything will feel better than what feels like a constant sub 30FPS on PS4 Pro. Plus the field of view on console just feels so.. off, for what the game is asking of. But, I'm coming off of a 100% completion of Shadow of War - so who knows. LOL

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

2560 x 1440 at 200% scaling equals 5120 x 2880 effective resolution.
14.7 million pixels

So thats higher than 4K res you should be getting lower FPS compared to the benchmark running at native 4K

So.. can anyone give me an idea of how well it'll run - in comparison to their specs?

i7 3820 OC'd 4.6Ghz
980 Ti
16Gb RAM

@ 1440p

I assume that I can dial back a few things - without losing too much quality, from what I'm reading - and hit 60FPS?

Thankfully I've got G-Sync (Predator X27) - so some dips in framerate shouldn't be TOO horrible.

At this point - anything will feel better than what feels like a constant sub 30FPS on PS4 Pro. Plus the field of view on console just feels so.. off, for what the game is asking of. But, I'm coming off of a 100% completion of Shadow of War - so who knows. LOL

Should be able to 60 the game with some setting dialed back a 980Ti is just slower than a 1070 and 1070 people are happily swimming in the 60s max at 1080 with a couple settings dialed back you should be able to 1440p this game with ease.

i7 3820 OC'd 4.6Ghz
980 Ti
16Gb RAM

@ 1440p

I have a similar spec, 980ti with a i5 6600k, and am not really getting very good perf at all. At 1080 and mostly high settings it will still dip to low 50s pretty frequently...

Riviawolf

Neo Member
I have a similar spec, 980ti with a i5 6600k, and am not really getting very good perf at all. At 1080 and mostly high settings it will still dip to low 50s pretty frequently...

Hmmm.. I'm hoping that isn't fully the case. But as far as I've been hearing it sounds like this game is a CPU hog? I feel like those with similar specs with an i5 Compared to an i7 are noticing different levels of performance.

I wonder what the native CPU utilization is for this game...

Thankfully though, if I do dip down.. I have G-Sync to back me up.

I appreciate the input :)

Top Bottom