• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Foffy

Banned
Is Wild Hunt officially the subtitle, or part of the article name?

Wild Hunt, like Assassin of Kings, gives away who the main antagonist is. If you played the previous Witcher games, you know of the Wild Hunt and how their role has evolved from a mystery to Geralt's central conflict. What they are would entail you play the games. ;)

So you're telling me the Spanish editions are ahead of the English ones? Madness.

Ive heard form people that the english ones are pretty terrible, so I suppose lol
The Spanish versions are in fact the first language to have the books completly translated, then came the french ones I think.
The spanish covers are beautiful, and show important characters (Tris, Jenffer, Geralt, Ciri...) and inside you have the northern kingdom maps. The tranlation is amazing, its done by a guy who has study polish literature and history language (both spanish and polish), and he made an incredible job. Geralt speaks normal spanish, more similar to how we talk now, still with a little old spanish flavour, then the rich people speak in nobel old spanish and the villagers speak with broken old spanish, using typical words used on those days.

Too bad the games just have a very normal translation in spanish, and a horrible dub for the witcher 1 (the witcher 2 was not dubbed).

MormaPope

Banned
I hope the cities are less maze-like than TW2. They were a pain to explore.

Towns and cities will probably be much less intrusive and cramped. Hopefully next gen consoles can load and render indoor environments without a loading screen, exploring or visiting a town without load times or loading screens will be very neat.

I really, really, really hope there are drastically different outcomes for each big choice. Imagine exploring the open world and each different decision can alter the main journey drastically, meeting entirely different people, exploring new towns, fighting different enemies.

I really hope there's still at least two very different main questlines that change what you play completely.

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

So it's saying that they had to change up their design philosophy when developing TW3, due to the open world structure. So NARRATIVE comes in three forms:

Lowest level = free form activities like crafting, monster slaying (seems to be much more extensive this time around) and questing.

Next level = Political situation of Nilfgaardian invastion is resolved through a core plotline for each area. These areas? -> Skellige, Novigrad and No Mans Land!

Final level = Geralt's main plot line, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

Sounds like a lot of interwoven plotlines, decision making. You can skip things if you really want, but there will be consequences to your actions if you do so.

I think it's a leak. There's nothing on the website yet.

Zinio, is what I use, and they sent me my update tonight that my copy was ready to read. Digital.

Loc Muinne was the worst designed city in anything ever. Running around in fucking circles trying doors that won't fucking open. Yeah, hope they don't do that shit again.

But it was kind of awesome in that it recreated a city that was half ruined. I like the sense of accomplishment of figuring out a city. But, I agree, that tended to be a disaster and the map was useless because you could often get almost there, but then hit a dead end.

Wild Hunt, like Assassin of Kings, gives away who the main antagonist is. If you played the previous Witcher games, you know of the Wild Hunt and how their role has evolved from a mystery to Geralt's central conflict. What they are would entail you play the games. ;)

Yeah, I'm aware of who they are, just curious if it was the official title of the game for reference's sake.

Wow, good to know. Don't they get progressively worse, or was that something else?

Got no clue. I'm not familiar with the other books anymore than you are. The wait is kinda frustrating, I have to say. If they'd kept up with yearly releases, we might've had almost the entire series out by now, just in time for TW3. >_<

Are we? B&N has it slated for August 27th :\

Aw darn, you might be right. I looked at Amazon.ca first before Amazon.com. The former has it listed for February 5th, but the latter has it at August 27th. @_@ My apologies for getting false hopes up. Including my own. ;-;

Well, honestly it can't be much worse than The Witcher 2.

Well The perfect entry point is the beginning for just about anything. It's just that ME3 and Dead Space 3 crap again (Ass creed 3 as well). It's kind of awful to hear them the Publishers try to write off cool successful series as totally inconsequential.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Because "open world" means level design going to crap far too often. I would love this this to be an intricate exception like Dark Souls, but the prospect of crossing the whole map on horseback makes it sound like we're in for a bunch of boring expanses of nothing.

Wait, is The Witcher 3 going to be CD Projekt RED's first open world game? (I haven't played either Witcher game, so I don't know)

But it was kind of awesome in that it recreated a city that was half ruined. I like the sense of accomplishment of figuring out a city. But, I agree, that tended to be a disaster and the map was useless because you could often get almost there, but then hit a dead end.

This was the exact problem.

zlatko

Banned
iFm4moC606Sk8.gif

This to infinity and beyond.

Are they planning a 2013 release? If so GOTY confirmed. Witcher 2 shit on everything I played that year by leagues.

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :O

Alxjn

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

So it's saying that they had to change up their design philosophy when developing TW3, due to the open world structure. So NARRATIVE comes in three forms:

Lowest level = free form activities like crafting, monster slaying (seems to be much more extensive this time around) and questing.

Next level = Political situation of Nilfgaardian invastion is resolved through a core plotline for each area. These areas? -> Skellige, Novigrad and No Mans Land!

Final level = Geralt's main plot line, his search for his loved ones, and the chase of the Wild Hunt.

Sounds like a lot of interwoven plotlines, decision making. You can skip things if you really want, but there will be consequences to your actions if you do so.

Zinio, is what I use, and they sent me my update tonight that my copy was ready to read. Digital.

Oh man, the Skellige islands are going to be in this game? That is awesome.

Exuro

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

Time to get a witching! The one thing I found TW2 didn't do enough despite it being considered "fetch quests".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Wait, is The Witcher 3 going to be CD Projekt RED's first open world game? (I haven't played either Witcher game, so I don't know)

Yes. The first two games are structured into multi-hub like acts. The Witcher 3 will be proper big open world.

Because "open world" means level design going to crap far too often. I would love this this to be an intricate exception like Dark Souls, but the prospect of crossing the whole map on horseback makes it sound like we're in for a bunch of boring expanses of nothing.

Have you ever seen a prairie in real life?

There are vast expanses of open area.

Not saying that Wither 3 has to be filled with nothing, but plains are plains.

Derrick01

Banned
You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

Sounds good on paper but all of that will be incredibly tricky to pull off without making it feel pointless and to keep everything in the story in order. They've got a huge task ahead of them. They have to do what no one except Obsidian has done this gen with open world RPGs and writing.

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

This was one of the main things I felt the W2 did worst than W1. There were a lot less Witchering a.k.a. killing monsters. I hope they greatly expand the types of monsters. W1 was great in this respect. Also I hope CDPR take a cue from Dark Souls with the weapons combat, and connectedness of the world.

You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

I hope they bring back more of the original Witcher's plot design. In a lot of places in regards to plot, the sequel takes a step back..

Sounds good on paper but all of that will be incredibly tricky to pull off without making it feel pointless and to keep everything in the story in order. They've got a huge task ahead of them. They have to do what no one except Obsidian has done this gen with open world RPGs and writing.

I understand your concern; we'll just have to wait and see. It's not impossible; I think the main issue with other developers is that it wasn't a priority. I think CDPR is different regarding that. They know their role here, and seem to like the challenge. However we do have to keep in mind that this is a feature, written by someone disconnected from the development. I'm staying confident until I play it.

This was one of the main things I felt the W2 did worst than W1. There were a lot less Witchering a.k.a. killing monsters. I hope they greatly expand the types of monsters. W1 was great in this respect. Also I hope CDPR take a cue from Dark Souls with the weapons combat, and connectedness of the world.

I totally agree. It seemed more like an afterthought. I think they realized this, as Geralt was tied up heavily with the whole war. This sounds like he is back to his roots and his role in the world.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Yes. The first two games are structured into multi-hub like acts. The Witcher 3 will be proper big open world.

Gotcha. Given CD Projekt RED's track record though, I'll be willing to try out an open world Witcher game.

Which reminds me: I really need to play the first two games before this comes out.

MormaPope

Banned
You sure, are in luck:

Next big update:

I have a feeling Geralt isn't going to be the only one involved with finding and combating the beings that lead The Wild Hunt.

Top Bottom