• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kneefoil

YouTube lying about last week's Frametrap length for anyone else?
I saw 50mins and was excited that they'd salvaged the missing part of the last podcast, but it's just the normal Frametrap with YouTube lying about its length...weird
Hmm... Another weird thing about it is that it works fine on my PC, but when I watch it on my phone, the audio cuts off after the 50 minutes, which YouTube claims the video length to be. I also can't skip past the 50 minutes on my phone, but I can on PC.

The group being oblivious about Elite surprised me. It showed two things, both are slightly worrying to me. First it made me feel old because a lot if not most people at my age (above 40) know about Elite and its significance and second it proves what a national one way street discussion about games is. It is so US centric because that's where most of the media is based since the internet became the most important sector. While magazines were still a thing Europe could compete for mindshare, but essentially the communities were seperate. "We" did our C64, Spectrum and Amiga thing and "they" played their consoles and visited arcades. Ever since the floodgates for worldwide discussion opened "our" backgrounds got pushed to the side and "their" history became the de facto history of video games. This leads to an unfortunate imbalance where Europeans probably have heard about games like "Oregon Trail" although most of us never played it - we might know you can die of dysentery though. Important games like Elite have a much harder time being remembered unfortunately.
This isn't the EZA's fault of course and I'm not saying Elite needs to be in that arbitrary Hall of Fame over any of those other candidates, it just made me think.
I'm guessing this has something to do with the latest EZA podcast which I haven't listened to yet. Video game history being Americanized often even when it's talked about by Europeans is something I've noticed as well. It's a shame, really.

I dunno what the hell Elite is either.
It's a space sim. It was a pretty influential game.

Let alone old European stuff, a lot of them are unfamiliar with modern award winning PC hits. Or PC cultural phenomenas either, they totally scoffed off EVE Online news on the podcast.
The bolded deserves a thread on its own.

The whole EZA doesn't know anything about PC classics is a stretch. Always has been. Sure, Kyle isn't the biggest fan of PC games. That's fine. I haven't played every culturally significant thing either (such as Elite), but I've gone out of my way to play a heck of a lot. Just because one particular panel of a rotating podcast doesn't know something about one specific game doesn't mean the whole crew is oblivious to it. It gets tiring to see people jump the gun all of the time.

EDIT: A good example is "scoffing" at EVE. That's something I definitely did not do, nor would I. EVE is fascinating, if a bit impenetrable.

EDIT 2: I guess an important part of what you said is "a lot of them", which is not the same as "all of them". It's true that the majority of EZA is not well versed in PC and it does feel like we aren't covering PC games in a satisfactory way, or at least that's the impression I often get from people. What would be helpful is recommendations or suggestions on how we could do things differently. Frame Trap especially is a good place to explore this stuff. I will say I'm excited to talk about Divinity OS2 and Civ VI in the very near future. I also regret not talking about things like Stardew Valley, Grim Dawn, Stellaris, etc. So maybe it would be good to revisit some of that stuff.

Servbot24

Banned
The whole EZA doesn't know anything about PC classics is a stretch. Always has been. Sure, Kyle isn't the biggest fan of PC games. That's fine. I haven't played every culturally significant thing either (such as Elite), but I've gone out of my way to play a heck of a lot. Just because one particular panel of a rotating podcast doesn't know something about one specific game doesn't mean the whole crew is oblivious to it. It gets tiring to see people jump the gun all of the time.

EDIT: A good example is "scoffing" at EVE. That's something I definitely did not do, nor would I. EVE is fascinating, if a bit impenetrable.

EDIT 2: I guess an important part of what you said is "a lot of them", which is not the same as "all of them". It's true that the majority of EZA is not well versed in PC and it does feel like we aren't covering PC games in a satisfactory way, or at least that's the impression I often get from people. What would be helpful is recommendations or suggestions on how we could do things differently. Frame Trap especially is a good place to explore this stuff. I will say I'm excited to talk about Divinity OS2 and Civ VI in the very near future. I also regret not talking about things like Stardew Valley, Grim Dawn, Stellaris, etc. So maybe it would be good to revisit some of that stuff.

For what it's worth, the PC or MMO focused episodes I tend to tune out of. Which is totally fine, not every episode is about me, and I listen to you guys because I enjoy hearing your perspectives. If you played every single game out there, or if I played the exact same games that you guys play, it would take some of the fun out of it.

That to say, keep it up. :)

Also go Hawkeyes!!!!!

Budi

One of the biggest reason I love EZA is the strenght of the group. You have people with different tastes and different backgrounds in gaming. So there's knowledge of games even if everyone in the group isn't familiar with something. And I think most of you also respect history of games, have played games since kid and the younger ones have familiarized themselves with old games later on. Experience with variety of genres and games from different time periods and platforms is really important to me when I look for videogame coverage. So thank you again EZA!

So Tabletop Escapade thoughts

So the interior of the Ziggurat is in a separate plane of existence, and the White Flame Door that the familiar went through is also an entire different plane of existence. Now I postulate that the ziggurat exists in different realities and they all lead to this weird metaphysical space. Therefore when Terese summoned her familiar she got one from a seperate timeline where the familiar prefers a chicken body and Terese became a bounty hunter. I think that "Shadow Pomper" is actually a Pomper from a slightly different reality that also walked through the mirror. The other sailors looking slightly different and them considering "home" a reality where Law survived supports this. Even though Huber not knowing who the Dwarf is at first is obvious from an outside of canon perspective, from an inside canon perspective Pomper didn't recognize Law at first either because 1. This Law looks slightly differant 2. Law is much older than when Pomper met him 3. Pomper is a little slow people from separate realities

OR the mirror is just creating illusions and just sucks at it and gets stuff wrong like trying to make a raven and getting chicken

On a side note: I went back and checked, there were 11 sailors with Pomper, Allen and Pomper went into the woods together to get firewood, Pomper told Allen about his life, they bond a bit, saw the women ('hentai monster' trap), Pomper sent Allen back. The other named sailor, Martin, tried to drown himself instead of take help from Pomper, and then once on the shore he wanted Pomper disarmed and/or bound and tried to turn the group against him. Hope that helps.

Also I think Necator and Yogalla still have a sack of gold buried at the beach underneath an X drawn in the sand.

mcw

Kyle said Colin Cowherd was one of his favorite sports talk radio hosts.

I cannot think of a time where I lost more respect for a person than I just did for Bosman.

This mindset is really unfortunate and has been far too common in this thread. People were doing this after the Palmer Luckey discussion, too-- i.e., "I hate this person and if you do not also hate them then you are a bad person".

Kneefoil

Tabletop Escapades lost me, can hardly keep up with the plot. Love the ambition tho :D

A ten minute recap would be cool to help remember stuff over the last 6 months

At GT, TTA had an entire hour long episode dedicated for a recap 24 or 26 episodes in, depending on how you wanna count 'em. The latest TTE was episode 24 or 26, so perhaps a recap of some sort in the near future wouldn't be entirely out of place.

Though I'm pretty sure I personally still remember all the relevant info.

mcw

At GT, TTA had an entire hour long episode dedicated for a recap 24 or 26 episodes in, depending on how you wanna count 'em. The latest TTE was episode 24 or 26, so perhaps a recap of some sort in the near future wouldn't be entirely out of place.

Though I'm pretty sure I personally still remember all the relevant info.

I wish I had the talent to do this, but man... Would it be great if there were a short animated video recapping what happened? I'd love to see an animated Law flinging himself from a catapult into an early grave.

Kasper

Fun first video of Tales From the East. In case Ben reads this, a few quick notes: Your voice over sounds a bit off, like you're talking as if you had been pitched down to 0.8 speed or something, and the sound was also very low on the video. I had to more than triple the volume to get it to a normal level.

All in all it was a solid first effort, I can't wait to see the next ones.

Hasney

Fun first video of Tales From the East. In case Ben reads this, a few quick notes: Your voice over sounds a bit off, like you're talking as if you had been pitched down to 0.8 speed or something, and the sound was also very low on the video. I had to more than triple the volume to get it to a normal level.

All in all it was a solid first effort, I can't wait to see the next ones.

Yeah, you're supposed to slow down your cadence on a voiceover, but maybe went a little too far. But hey, for a first effort, just gotta dial it in. Nicely edited too.

I didn't realise the volume thing until the next video and some shooter advert deafened me :lol

Burt

Next week on Tabletop Escapades:

The Council of Yogallas

4ce6f2f3d95b7f638c13908f627fcda0.gif

Great feedback! I struggled with the audio more than anything else in the video, so I think for the next one I might have Jones, Ian, or Don take a look specifically at that.

I agree that the VO is too slow. I rerecorded the whole thing three or four times and more often than not I was waaaay too fast. Like Hasney said, I went too far in the other direction.

Someone in the YT comments said that it's perhaps too rigid and might be better if it was more off the cuff or at least included more off the cuff segments. I think it's a fair point and for the next one I might just have bullet points I can reference while I fill in the blanks during the recording.

But yeah, I really appreciate these comments because I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

wiibomb

also Ben, I think there needs to be a kind of different sountrack for the background, the track used for the pack was kind of slow in a matter of reverence, fits more a temple vibe, one for Jump could be a little more upbeat. Or may be... the temple vibe was exactly was you were trying there...

Very nice first ep, I loved it, I hope it doesn't take too long for next episode, it is amazing to see all this.

Is Jones sick or something or am I reading too much into it?
.....no? Lol. He's encouraging people to get out and stay healthy, as playing video games doesn't require you to do such, and relating it back by saying it gave him a better appreciation of settings and situations in games.

If next week is Bedpan Of Jones filmed from his hospital bed then you might be onto something

Congrats on the first episode Ben! Enjoyed it, though the lack of Yu Yu Hakusho in the Jump park kills me inside

ST2K

One of my favorite film directors drugged and raped a 13 year old girl in the 70s. Some people just separate their (the people they follow) work from everything else. No need to lose respect for that person.

This mindset is really unfortunate and has been far too common in this thread. People were doing this after the Palmer Luckey discussion, too-- i.e., "I hate this person and if you do not also hate them then you are a bad person".

Guess it wasn't clear, but the post was largely a joke. Cowherd's a clown and has a rep for low-brow sports talk like a Skip Bayless does, thus the exaggerated reaction. But I'm not going to genuinely dislike someone for their choice in sports talk entertainment.

Probably the wrong crowd to make the joke to, in hindsight.

Guess it wasn't clear, but the post was largely a joke. Cowherd's a clown and has a rep for low-brow sports talk like a Skip Bayless does, thus the exaggerated reaction. But I'm not going to genuinely dislike someone for their choice in sports talk entertainment.

Probably the wrong crowd to make the joke to, in hindsight.

I'm glad both of them are gone from ESPN. Funny they were both hired at FS1. Though, I heard the guy who hired them there was responsible for hiring them at ESPN. If true, that makes sense.

wapplew

I was not expecting Japan video to be first person, I thought camera ghost was there to shoot Ben's reaction.
The tone felt like a Vice video documentary, maybe the music and narration make it feel that way, was expecting something more upbeat.
I know it's Ben's first time, but he should loosen up a little, no need to too careful on words and all, let the inner Ben out.

Second episode when?

I know that no one agrees with this, but I actually enjoyed the more structured video layout. It's more professional and fits the tone he's going for.

I think the reason most of y'all feel that it's stilted isn't how it was produced, but because Ben is still very new at this.

I know y'all like fast and loose but some of their content should be a more professional video series. I like the path that Ben took.

Karu

Just do a Remaster of Tales of the East in two years time when you're an editing master. :p Between the stream (sadly apart from Transformers no real stream game on my current game log, it's hard to justify watching them on their own, but I'm sure to squeeze them in somewhere) and Tales (and everything else lol) Ben putting in the work, good week!

I know that no one agrees with this, but I actually enjoyed the more structured video layout. It's more professional and fits the tone he's going for.
In this case I definitely agree. His Japan trip and coverage should feel like a premium product, which the editing and delivery play a huge part of.

Edit: Oh god, Ben is playing Mnster Hunter without the CPP? I tried the demo before Generations came out and it was horrible, haha. For a slow experience like SMTIV the L/R-camera movement is okay, but for an Action RPG it is kinda super hard to get used to.

Hasney

Edit: Oh god, Ben is playing Mnster Hunter without the CPP? I tried the demo before Generations came out and it was horrible, haha. For a slow experience like SMTIV the L/R-camera movement is okay, but for an Action RPG it is kinda super hard to get used to.

Yeah, I couldn't do it. Dug MHIV since I had the N3DS at that point though.

Maiar_m

Tales from the East was nice indeed. The slower diction wasn't has obvious to me, a non-native speaker, but I'm certainly looking forward to Ben sounding and feeling more comfortable with the VO. This and the new Cup of Jones made me realize it's good to have formats that are a bit outside of the conventional gaming-related stuff.

Mista Koo

Honestly I don't know, and I know that my post isn't exactly constructive criticism. But to my defense it wasn't written to be seen by one of the allies themselves ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also yes it was mostly Kyle that I'm angry with, but it's coming from a place of love.

Roubjon

It just takes some time getting used to. I've played MH without a right analog stick for 10 years and it's fine. Granted, that could be the 10 years of experience talking lol.

Roubjon

Utterly amazing..

I just have a real complaint.. it is to damn short!!!

I totally forgot to check the show yesterday, how was it? anyone saw it?

It thought it was pretty good. Bosman had more of a presence this time as he was on stage.

All the Brad songs were soooooooooo good. I was smiling the whole time. Much needed since it's been a rough wk.

Now I gotta get my Ian on...
Ben, please change your video series title. It reeks orientalism and that's not not coo. You went to Japan. Japan doesn't represent the East. The East aka the oriental, coined by racist white assholes who think they're the center of the universe.
This is not being PC, this is asking you to be aware and be respectful.

In case you don't see this, I'll post it in the youtube comments as well since ya'll usually read it there.

mcw

All the Brad songs were soooooooooo good. I was smiling the whole time. Much needed since it's been a rough wk.

Ben, please change your video series title. It reeks orientalism and that's not not coo. You went to Japan. Japan doesn't represent the East. The East aka the oriental, coined by racist white assholes who think they're the center of the universe.

In case you don't see this, I'll post it in the youtube comments as well since ya'll usually read it there.

That's it. I think I'm done with this thread and with this community.

Auctopus

I like how you're trying to be respectful to a continent of people but then use a phrase like "get my Ian on".

Never go full Ian.
Love you Ian <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom