• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Where are you planning on heading? I'd love to head up to the Horseshoe pass in Wales but its 200 miles each way, so while do-able as a day trip its a bit of a trek, plus its mostly motorway.

Pretty much the same route as what you guys took. I have been trying to get to Cheddar Gorge a few times now and every time there is something else that pops up. How long did your trip take about?

Nice photo,

Bgq4mnb.jpg

Dougald

Pretty much the same route as what you guys took. I have been trying to get to Cheddar Gorge a few times now and every time there is something else that pops up. How long did your trip take about?

We were out from 8am - 5pm, though we did stop for an hour to dry off, and took the detour to Wincanton. I highly recommend the road we took back (A361 > A4 > M4). There are a few cafes at the gorge itself where you can get a cup of tea and something to eat before heading back.

What are you planning to sell?

Pretty much everything, I've already sold most of my Dreamcast collection, just the big hitters left to sell (Rez, Shenmue 2, etc), and a lot of our Mega Drive stuff. Plus the rest of my PS2 games. Just don't have the room any more, and there is a small possibility I'll be emigrating this year, and I definitely won't be bringing it all with me if thats the case. At one point I was actually pretty close to having every EU Dreamcast release, but they have been gathering dust for the last 5 years or so.

I'd have to find a good home for my MVS cabinet if I moved, too. But I don't really want to part with it.

We were out from 8am - 5pm, though we did stop for an hour to dry off, and took the detour to Wincanton. I highly recommend the road we took back (A361 > A4 > M4). There are a few cafes at the gorge itself where you can get a cup of tea and something to eat before heading back.

Great stuff, thanks for the tip. Where are you guys going too move to?

Dougald

I'm up for a position in Ireland, so while it's a small chance as I might not get the job or it might not be right for me, it's made me take stock of all the tat my wife and I have collected in this house for the last decade

I'm up for a position in Ireland, so while it's a small chance as I might not get the job or it might not be right for me, it's made me take stock of all the tat my wife and I have collected in this house for the last decade

Great stuff, I do that allot - I clean out so I can buy different crap haha. Good luck with the job position.

OraleeWey

So, I think I have been riding a little too aggressive lately because my bike shut off on the middle of the highway. Trip meter said 193 miles before running out of gas. I usually always fill up at 200 miles without problems. Tbf, I don't know why it shut off, I just put it on reserve after it wouldn't turn on, then it turned on and made it to work on reserve. So all evidence points to running low on gas.

Made it to work a little late but I still have to get some gas. Nearest one isn't that close, not sure if I can make it at the end of my shift but I'll have to try.

Edit: Can confirm, low on gas. Man, I thought it would chug or something, or give a warning. But it just shut off.

My wife and I moved earlier this year (across the country) after being in a townhouse for 6 years. Holy fuck there was so much crap to sort through. We had way more boxes than I had hoped. :p

Pretty much everything, I've already sold most of my Dreamcast collection, just the big hitters left to sell (Rez, Shenmue 2, etc), and a lot of our Mega Drive stuff. Plus the rest of my PS2 games. Just don't have the room any more, and there is a small possibility I'll be emigrating this year, and I definitely won't be bringing it all with me if thats the case. At one point I was actually pretty close to having every EU Dreamcast release, but they have been gathering dust for the last 5 years or so.

Yeah, I suppose most of that stuff is available in some digital form and there comes a point where the value of a minimal amount of clutter outweighs having a collection like that. Though I've regretted selling my SNES for a long time... But I'm over that now.

I'd have to find a good home for my MVS cabinet if I moved, too. But I don't really want to part with it.

Right, that I would probably hold on to as well.

Finally made the upgrade from a 88cc Honda Ape to a Kawasaki Ninja 400 ABS SE.
Gotta go easy on it for a while, can't go over 4,000 rpms until I've hit 1000kms.

Ape

Ninja

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Gotta go easy on it for a while, can't go over 4,000 rpms until I've hit 1000kms.

This is wrong on many levels yo.

I get not bouncing off the limiter every gear change but granny riding is going to be just as bad for a new motor as thrashing it.

The important process of seating the piston rings happens in the first hour or even less of a new motors run time and to seat them properly requires high loads at mid range revs. First thing I did when I brought my WR450 home was take it out on smooth roads so I could do a quick 20km ride with lots of full throttle pulls through the mid range and plenty of no throttle slow downs. This allows any debris from the cylinder and rings to be evacuated quickly and cleanly.

After that just ride it like normal.

Dougald

That little bit of gold on the fairing looks nice, congrats

I don't have much advice on running in bikes as I've never had a new one, but I'd say just aim to do whatever your owners manual says, but don't worry too much about following it to the letter

Two 12 year old looking chavs, one white one black, on a beat up scooter near the st annes motorcycle parking in harrow on the hill.

But neither is hiding their face, only one has a helmet and it was flipped up and he was on the phone, they shot off as soon as I walked close to them.

Paranoia? I have an almax chain and alarm disc lock and nowhere near the nicest bike in that lot either way.

Dougald

Two kids on scooter = thieving cunts these days, I'm afraid. Doubly so if any of them are without a helmet. You are right to be paranoid.

Congrats DJmizuhara, nice step up. Gold on the fairing looks great, yeah.

I get not bouncing off the limiter every gear change but granny riding is going to be just as bad for a new motor as thrashing it.

The important process of seating the piston rings happens in the first hour or even less of a new motors run time and to seat them properly requires high loads at mid range revs. First thing I did when I brought my WR450 home was take it out on smooth roads so I could do a quick 20km ride with lots of full throttle pulls through the mid range and plenty of no throttle slow downs. This allows any debris from the cylinder and rings to be evacuated quickly and cleanly.

Breaking in with something other than just highway miles so that you have varying amounts of load is good advice, but other than that I'd say anything the manual has to say on the matter is bound to be ok, well not wrong at least.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Congrats DJmizuhara, nice step up. Gold on the fairing looks great, yeah.

Breaking in with something other than just highway miles so that you have varying amounts of load is good advice, but other than that I'd say anything the manual has to say on the matter is bound to be ok, well not wrong at least.

The thing with manuals is they're more the manufacturer trying to cover their ass from inexperienced riders particularly in countries like America where someone with zero riding experience can goto a dealer and walk out with a litre bike.

Before youve even picked up your new bike the manufacturer would have already taken it to redline a couple times as part of quality control because if anything is defective inside the motor chances are its going to go wrong very quickly. Heat cycling is also not a thing at least in new machines anyhow. Heat treating is done during manufacturing.

good vid on the subject.

And changing your oil and filter early is also a priority too. I did my first oil and filter changed within 50km on my WR and there were visible chunks in the first filter and the oil was very metallic looking.

Dougald

After all the weekend talk of Ferries and the Eurotunnel, I've discovered a day trip with a motorcycle is only £15 each way. Considering a midweek run into Bruges next month, as I could be there in about 5 hours from my house. Anyone know how motorcycle parking is in Belgium? Can I just leave a bike anywhere on the pavement thats relatively out of the way?

OraleeWey

The thing with manuals is they're more the manufacturer trying to cover their ass from inexperienced riders particularly in countries like America where someone with zero riding experience can goto a dealer and walk out with a litre bike.

Before youve even picked up your new bike the manufacturer would have already taken it to redline a couple times as part of quality control because if anything is defective inside the motor chances are its going to go wrong very quickly. Heat cycling is also not a thing at least in new machines anyhow. Heat treating is done during manufacturing.

good vid on the subject.

And changing your oil and filter early is also a priority too. I did my first oil and filter changed within 50km on my WR and there were visible chunks in the first filter and the oil was very metallic looking.

I would just follow what the manual says. That's what I did with my KLR650 and had no problems. No one knows better than those who manufactured the motorcycle.

Something weird is happening when I switch gears. It like doesn't fully engage and when I am not squeezing the clutch I can sometimes still change gears. It is also harder to shift sometimes and I'm not sure if it has engaged.

What's going on?

OraleeWey

Something weird is happening when I switch gears. It like doesn't fully engage and when I am not squeezing the clutch I can sometimes still change gears. It is also harder to shift sometimes and I'm not sure if it has engaged.

What's going on?

Possible that the clutch cable is too stretched?

After all the weekend talk of Ferries and the Eurotunnel, I've discovered a day trip with a motorcycle is only £15 each way. Considering a midweek run into Bruges next month, as I could be there in about 5 hours from my house. Anyone know how motorcycle parking is in Belgium? Can I just leave a bike anywhere on the pavement thats relatively out of the way?

Yep, there's no problem. I didn't have any at least last time I was there.

OraleeWey

Why wouldn't you occupy an entire parking spot?

Dougald

Parking spots are pretty hard to come by in old European cities, plus they tend not to be free. Most places are cool with you parking in a pedestrian area though. Except England, here it's really hit and miss where you can park

I think I will try and grab a day in August and head over to 'the continent' for the day... aka an excuse to eat Belgian fries.

OraleeWey

You guys ever let someone sit on your bike for a picture if they ask? This is an acquaintance. Sometimes he asks me to help him with computer stuff, he is an engineer.

Parking spots are pretty hard to come by in old European cities, plus they tend not to be free. Most places are cool with you parking in a pedestrian area though. Except England, here it's really hit and miss where you can park

I think I will try and grab a day in August and head over to 'the continent' for the day... aka an excuse to eat Belgian fries.
You could have chosen any food but you choose Belgian fries. Those must be very good fries.

All the time, I cba to take off my disc lock tho so the alarm goes off, and they freak out.

Two kids on scooter = thieving cunts these days, I'm afraid. Doubly so if any of them are without a helmet. You are right to be paranoid.

I assume they're just scouting for the actual thieves. Not too worried personally, a lot of better less protected bikes in the lot and CCTV everywhere around it and there's always people around and security guards nearby.

Still annoying tho. 12 year old kids should have better things to do.

I was told to ride like that by the Kawasaki dealer. I just do quick up shifts and then cruise and the road speed limit. I'm certainly not granny riding! Hahahaha...

Congratulations on your new ride.

Did you keep the Ape? There are rumors on a new Ape being developed on the Grom platform (125 cc)...

Yes, I still have the Ape but I was approached the other day by somebody who is interested in buying it. Depends on what they are offering me, as I built that bike from scratch over the course of about 3 months.

Yeah, like Doug said, parking spots in Europe are hard to come by. I think your bike is more likely to get damaged (out of spite) by a pissed off person in a car who really needed it when you could have just parked on the sidewalk somewhere. Also, odds increase that a car is going either knock it over or back into it when you park that close next to other cars who are (of course) never going to see it.

Dougald

I looked it up last night and its about 1/3 of the price to bike+train to Bruges as it is to take the passenger train from London. Guess I know what I'm doing for my 30th now

I did want to do an off-road course but I again left it far too late to get anything in August!

Yeah, like Doug said, parking spots in Europe are hard to come by. I think your bike is more likely to get damaged (out of spite) by a pissed off person in a car who really needed it when you could have just parked on the sidewalk somewhere. Also, odds increase that a car is going either knock it over or back into it when you park that close next to other cars who are (of course) never going to see it.

In England you'll get lip for parking in a full space and a ticket for parking on the sidewalk, lose-lose :)

Actually it's not that bad, you just have to know which sidewalks are okay. Anything that's private land is generally fine. My local authority has some bike bays, and I have it in writing from the council that I'm allowed to use a car space in their car park for free as long as their are no motorcycle spots available.

I looked it up last night and its about 1/3 of the price to bike+train to Bruges as it is to take the passenger train from London. Guess I know what I'm doing for my 30th now.

Including petrol? Either way sounds like a good time, hope you guys appreciate how much amazing architecture and history within reach. Watching the Tour de France is always a painful "we need to go back and visit this part of France, and this and this and this".

Dougald

I think Petrol will end up about another 1/3 of the price, so still cheaper, plus I get to take the Ducati! It's about a 400 mile round trip from here

OraleeWey

I looked it up last night and its about 1/3 of the price to bike+train to Bruges as it is to take the passenger train from London. Guess I know what I'm doing for my 30th now

I did want to do an off-road course but I again left it far too late to get anything in August!

In England you'll get lip for parking in a full space and a ticket for parking on the sidewalk, lose-lose :)

Actually it's not that bad, you just have to know which sidewalks are okay. Anything that's private land is generally fine. My local authority has some bike bays, and I have it in writing from the council that I'm allowed to use a car space in their car park for free as long as their are no motorcycle spots available.
Fucking hell. There's just no winning is there? I personally would not inconvenience myself and take up an entire spot. But in USA parking is plentiful, unless you go to a big city.
Actually, the YouTube channel Vox just made a video about it, if anyone is interested.
https://youtu.be/Akm7ik-H_7U

I think Petrol will end up about another 1/3 of the price, so still cheaper, plus I get to take the Ducati! It's about a 400 mile round trip from here
What's your mileage on your Ducati and what is the tank capacity?

Haines

Banned
So i guess ill be a regular in here.

After a break i got my nightrod special back on the road last week.

So, just saying hello for now.

Dougald

So i guess ill be a regular in here.

After a break i got my nightrod special back on the road last week.

So, just saying hello for now.

If it's got two wheels and an engine, you are welcome here and we'd love to see photos!

What's your mileage on your Ducati and what is the tank capacity?

I get about 70mpg according to the computer, but that's British gallons, I think probably 55ish US. I can get about 100-120 miles out of a tank before hitting the reserve, I think. I normally just fill up whatever I'm riding every 100 miles because an hour and a half is usually my limit before I need a stretch off the bike. The R1150R will do about 140 miles before hitting reserve.

I reckon one fill up before I get on the train and another on the motorway in Belgium, then one more before/after the train ought to do it for this trip. Back when I had the ST1100 I could go 250 miles between fill-ups, it was glorious... but heavy.

OraleeWey

I see. That's not too bad. So it looks like it holds somewhere between 2/3 gallons of flammable fluids. 55MPG is also better than what I get which is 35 miles to the gallon.

Dougald

Awesome, the Night Rod is my favourite Harley by far so you made a nice choice there.

I see. That's not too bad. So it looks like it holds somewhere between 2/3 gallons of flammable fluids. 55MPG is also better than what I get which is 35 miles to the gallon.

Internet says more like 4 US gallons, so either my MPG is lying or the reserve is really eager to come on, hah

The MPG I gave was for cruising at about 70mph on the motorway too, halve it for fun roads :)

Dougald

That's pretty sweet. I may be biased as a Brit but I always loved the Belstaff/Barbour waxed cotton look (I actually own one but I'd never wear it on the bike, useless in a crash). You can get a leather version, but at £1000 it's more than twice the price of my Dainese.

I've been riding with a gopro these last few days and it makes me feel like a wimp.

Everything that I think was a bit dodgy ends up not even being close in the actual video.

I've been riding with a gopro these last few days and it makes me feel like a wimp.

Everything that I think was a bit dodgy ends up not even being close in the actual video.

Ha, yes. I like how in your mind you're staring at some crazy thing for like three seconds and you go back and look at the footage and it's so quick the blur completely obscures what you were looking at. "Sorry kids, but that osprey was awesome in real life."

Top Bottom