• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii&PS3 pre-orders begin 10/29 at TRU

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just to get a little perspective, when is the latest someone lined up (successfully) for the GS/EB PS3 preorders in a reasonably busy area? Like I say, I could have someone at Toys R Us on Sunday, but I'm wondering how early I should tell him to go. He lives really really near the store, but he's not going to be able to camp overnight..

Xdrive05

My boss is gonna tell me tomorrow how many Wiis we're allowed to presell.

I'm hoping it's like 25 or something. (As opposed to 7 like our Xbox 360s)

crunker99

gofreak said:
Just to get a little perspective, when is the latest someone lined up (successfully) for the GS/EB PS3 preorders in a reasonably busy area? Like I say, I could have someone at Toys R Us on Sunday, but I'm wondering how early I should tell him to go. He lives really really near the store, but he's not going to be able to camp overnight..

i lined up at my gamestop for my 3rd backup ps3 preorder at about 845 and i was # 9 out of 15 so really i wouldnt go tooooo nuts, and im in a major metro

human5892

Queen of Denmark
gofreak said:
If the rumors about incredibly low stock per store are true, especially given that this is much more publicized than the EB/GS preorders, he's going to need to get there as early as possible IMO.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
crunker99 said:
i lined up at my gamestop for my 3rd backup ps3 preorder at about 845 and i was # 9 out of 15 so really i wouldnt go tooooo nuts, and im in a major metro

That's..comforting!

human5892 said:
If the rumors about incredibly low stock per store are true, especially given that this is much more publicized than the EB/GS preorders, he's going to need to get there as early as possible IMO.

How early is early, though? 9am? 8am? 7am? I don't think he'd go much earlier than that, and even 7 might be stretching it.

Also, will there be a per person limit on PS3 preorders? I initially was getting this guy just to go for me, but now it turns out he really wants one too (he's decided this in the last day)..and I don't know if I can insist he sends his to me if he can only get one preorder :lol And I doubt his wife will feel up to this to make for a second preorder, if it's one per person.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
gofreak said:
How early is early, though? 9am? 8am? 7am? I don't think he'd go much earlier than that, and even 7 might be stretching it.

Also, will there be a per person limit on PS3 preorders? I initially was getting this guy just to go for me, but now it turns out he really wants one too (he's decided this in the last day)..and I don't know if I can insist he sends his to me if he can only get one preorder :lol And I doubt his wife will feel up to this to make for a second preorder, if it's one per person.
I guess it depends on the store location and allocation of units, but personally I feel as though 7 might be a little on the late side.

And I would definitely assume there will be a one-unit-per-customer limit, especially with the fact that these things are worth their weight in eBay gold being common knowledge.

wasting

Banned
gofreak said:

I think they are opening at 9am instead of the usual 11am on Sunday, plus elmo will be there, he'll want to get there as early as possible.

big_z

The TRU open preorder thing in canada can suck it. I dont want to be #100 on the list and get shafted. I'll hit up walmart in the morning since it opens first then best buy if i have no luck.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
wasting said:
I think they are opening at 9am instead of the usual 11am on Sunday, plus elmo will be there, he'll want to get there as early as possible.

I'll get him to call the store to make sure of the opening time on Sunday. If it's 9am, I could probably convince him to go at 7 or earlier..it's more the waiting that'd drive him mad, I think.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I'll be in this thread again before Sunday.

Xdrive05

Our store is opening two hours earlier for Sunday, so that may be uniform across the country.

We normally open and 10am, and it's going to be 8am instead.

wasting

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Our store is opening two hours earlier for Sunday, so that may be uniform across the country.

We normally open and 10am, and it's going to be 8am instead.

I got the 9am/11am Sunday time off CAG, I'll call mine to make sure, they are probably all different... thanks

I'll be at a Halloween party on the evening of the 28th, so once it wraps up I'm just heading over to TRU and waiting it out. A charged DS and being jacked up on candy should be enough to get me through the night.

Crimmy

So I guess the preorder thing is still going on?

I was gonna get there around 2:00am or so. I Live in Albany NY. Is that too late? Should I go a little earlier?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm going late saturday night/early sunday morning. packing up a lawn chair, a cooler of diet coke, and my ds and going with some friends.

i live in bumpkinville, usa, so it's probably a non-issue, but i'm not taking any chances.

Hrmm just called my Toys R Us's and they both said they're not taking PS3 orders... said it like they were damn sure...

Can they do that even if the Big Toy Book comes out on Friday and says "reserve your PS3 now"??

~Cris

Ace R.

Found this on tonicatz's blog:

This just in, Toys R Us will start their Big Book ad on Friday, October 27 instead of Sunday, October 29. The PS3 and Wii preorders will begin on Friday as well. Those of you wanting to preorder a PS3 expect to be left out because one Toys R Us is already reported that they will only be getting 2 PS3's. the same store will have 80 Wii's.

Just to inform you, I work at Toys R Us and this just came down today. I put it on my blog because I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. I wanted to give everyone a heads up so that no one would miss out with the Preorders beginning early.

To clarify, the store that I spoke with that got their allotment numbers in said they were only receiving 2 PS3's on day of launch, WOW!!

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Preorder_Wii_and_PS3_on_Friday_October_27_Big_Book_starts_EARLY

Ace R. said:
Found this on tonicatz's blog:

This just in, Toys R Us will start their Big Book ad on Friday, October 27 instead of Sunday, October 29. The PS3 and Wii preorders will begin on Friday as well. Those of you wanting to preorder a PS3 expect to be left out because one Toys R Us is already reported that they will only be getting 2 PS3's. the same store will have 80 Wii's.

Just to inform you, I work at Toys R Us and this just came down today. I put it on my blog because I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet. I wanted to give everyone a heads up so that no one would miss out with the Preorders beginning early.

To clarify, the store that I spoke with that got their allotment numbers in said they were only receiving 2 PS3's on day of launch, WOW!!

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Preorder_Wii_and_PS3_on_Friday_October_27_Big_Book_starts_EARLY

Sounds like you dont even have a chance on the PS3 side. 2 console preorders? Manager and an employee that is.

mrroboto

Banned
Just got my big book in the mail today.

Sorry don't have a scanner but I'm sure other people will be getting theirs today.

It says under the Playstation 3:

Reserve it now!
Preorder your PS3

Sony Playstation is coming 11/17!
Visit your local Toysrus or Toysrus.com today for details on how to reserve your
PS3 now

It then has a picture of the PS3

and then shows specs for both versions of the system: the 20GB version and 60GB version.

$499.99(20 GB) and $599.99(60GB).

Called all my local Toysrus's. One said she wasn't taking preorders. One said they are currently in a conference call with corporate right now on the situation with preorders.

Most of the stores will only get 2-3 Playstation 3 systems for launch. Possibly 6 systems if they're a bigger store.

So there's basically mass anarchy right now.

Shit.

If it's any consolation, the manager who said the conference call was going on at the moment said they would have "plenty" of Nintendo Wii preorders and it shouldn't be a problem getting one(if you are reasonably early). Wii preorders begin Sunday morning(as stated earlier in the thread).

spengo

If I would preorder a Wii from TRU but then end up getting one at midnight at Walmart, what happens to my deposit? Can I just switch it over to a game?

Also, any word on bundles and what they might include?

And wow, Big Books are being recieved already? This is going to be insane.

mrroboto

Banned
Ain't looking good for PS3 preorders at TRU.

Alot of them are now flat out saying they will not be taking preorders for the system and it's a company wide directive.

Oh oh.

Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny?

Meier

Seriously tempted to get in on this.. the idea of turning $600 into as much as three times that is way too enticing. Boo, if it's on a Friday I am of course ****ed.. think of the people with jobs TRU!

mrroboto said:
Just got my big book in the mail today.

Sorry don't have a scanner but I'm sure other people will be getting theirs today.

It says under the Playstation 3:

Reserve it now!
Preorder your PS3

Sony Playstation is coming 11/17!
Visit your local Toysrus or Toysrus.com today for details on how to reserve your
PS3 now

It then has a picture of the PS3

and then shows specs for both versions of the system: the 20GB version and 60GB version.

$499.99(20 GB) and $599.99(60GB).

Called all my local Toysrus's. One said she wasn't taking preorders. One said they are currently in a conference call with corporate right now on the situation with preorders.

Most of the stores will only get 2-3 Playstation 3 systems for launch. Possibly 6 systems if they're a bigger store.

So there's basically mass anarchy right now.

Shit.

If it's any consolation, the manager who said the conference call was going on at the moment said they would have "plenty" of Nintendo Wii preorders and it shouldn't be a problem getting one(if you are reasonably early). Wii preorders begin Sunday morning(as stated earlier in the thread).

Thanks for the info. In the scans I've seen, I see an asterisk next to the "Reserve Yours" text at the top - what does that asterisk say on the bottom of the PS3 and Wii pages? I can't make it out.

Thank you in advance!
~Cris

mrroboto

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Thanks for the info. In the scans I've seen, I see an asterisk next to the "Reserve Yours" text at the top - what does that asterisk say on the bottom of the PS3 and Wii pages? I can't make it out.

Thank you in advance!
~Cris

Here's what the asterisks say:

*Release date subject to change.

**Playstation 3 reservation requires a $50 deposit which will be applied to the purchase
price. Release date subject to change. Limited quantities available. Sorry, no rainchecks.

Here's another thing. The one manager whom I spoke with was very nice and forthcoming with information. Very helpful. She said that although the store wouldn't be taking PS3 preorders, that Nintendo Wii preorders would begin Sunday morning. This directly conflicts with some earlier reports that TRU is going to start preorders this Friday.

This is crazy.

mrroboto said:
Here's what the asterisks say:

*Release date subject to change.

**Playstation 3 reservation requires a $50 deposit which will be applied to the purchase
price. Release date subject to change. Limited quantities available. Sorry, no rainchecks.

Here's another thing. The one manager whom I spoke with was very nice and forthcoming with information. Very helpful. She said that although the store wouldn't be taking PS3 preorders, that Nintendo Wii preorders would begin Sunday morning. This directly conflicts with some earlier reports that TRU is going to start preorders this Friday.

This is crazy.
Thanks for the prompt reply. People are simply going to have to be vigilant, I guess. The good thing is that if there's confusion, less people will show up.

~Cris

mrroboto

Banned
crisdecuba said:
Thanks for the prompt reply. People are simply going to have to be vigilant, I guess. The good thing is that if there's confusion, less people will show up.

~Cris

Problem is, I don't want to camp out all night and have the wrong day. That would be ownage of the worst kind. :( :D

wasting

Banned
biggest one i've found online.

66.jpg

VerTiGo

Banned
I called two Toys R Us in the area (College Point and Douglaston NY) and no one knows shit about any kind of Wii preorder.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My Toysrus is saying the 29th and they are only getting 10 of them. This is regarding the Wii. Does anyone know how many units stores like Best Buy and Wal-Mart are getting?

h_a_t

So if there are about 700 US stores and 3 systems per store.....ummm....that's not that many.
:D

Does anyone have any estimated figures on systems allocated among popular stores such as BestBuy, EBGames, etc.?

Crimmy

I just called two Toys R Us in my area. One flat out said no because they aren't sure how many they are getting. The other I asked how to reserve one and she said "As of right now we arent taking preorders." so I said "Uh, ok, so was my big book lying?" And she said "Did you look at the date on that? It doesnt go in effect til Sunday." So I was like "So then you just arent doing it now but on Sunday you are" and she said "Yea thats whats planned but there's very little." This is for the PS3 by the way

I say camp out anyway because some of these people seem like they dont wanna tell you anything.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Crimmy said:
I just called two Toys R Us in my area. One flat out said no because they aren't sure how many they are getting. The other I asked how to reserve one and she said "As of right now we arent taking preorders." so I said "Uh, ok, so was my big book lying?" And she said "Did you look at the date on that? It doesnt go in effect til Sunday." So I was like "So then you just arent doing it now but on Sunday you are" and she said "Yea thats whats planned but there's very little." This is for the PS3 by the way

I say camp out anyway because some of these people seem like they dont wanna tell you anything.

That is how it seems to me too. I feel like they know but they dont want to say anything just in case something happens and they dont end up with the number they tell you over the phone.

The Gamestop clearks were lying about not taking pre-orders, too. Camping it is.

Oh wait, others from my area might be reading this...

"Nope, preorders are definitely off!"
/misdirection

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I spoke with someone at TRU today and she told me they weren't sure when the PS3 pre-orders would start but that I should check back on Friday morning.

*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

zou

So, both TRUs I called told me they are definitely taking pre-orders this Sunday, however both couldn't or wouldn't tell me how many units they are getting in and that I should call this Saturday.

I just called the two stores in my area and both said that they are taking reservations Sunday morning and that they will be opening at the normal time.

mrroboto

Banned
mmlemay said:
I just called the two stores in my area and both said that they are taking reservations Sunday morning and that they will be opening at the normal time.

Reservations for what system?

They'll gladly admit they're taking Wii preorders but seem to be non-commital with PS3 preorders.

So is TRU taking PS3 preorders? Yes or no?

Edit: I just called and they are selling preorders of an "unknown" amount on 9am Sunday.

terrene

Banned
sspeedy said:
Screw who over? Idiots who can't wait a few months and would gladly pay hundreds more? That's not my fault. If I can have that kind of control, why don't others?

Plus, I'd barely have enough $$ to buy 1-2; I'm not even sure if I'm gonna do this. I'll look more into it Wednesday night. I have to make sure it'd be profitable.
Guys, can it. Please. :( Seriously, we've had the debate before.

So here is the official news:

Preorders are definitly happening for Wii and PS3 on Sunday the 29th.
Even though the rest of Big Book goes active on the 27th, the pre-orders and TMX Elmo are being held until Sunday.

Pre-orders will be for systems only-no bundles. *edit-apparently some stores are taking the asinine approach of forcing bundles. This is not nation wide. So I suppose the bundle/no bundle thing turns out to be YMMV.

Quantities vary by store.
Rough estimates are.....
Wii 12-25 per store
PS3/60G 4-10 per store
PS3/20G 1-4 per store

terrene

Banned
jetsetmario said:

Even though the rest of Big Book goes active on the 27th, the pre-orders and TMX Elmo are being held until Sunday.

Pre-orders will be for systems only-no bundles.

Rough estimates are.....
Wii 12-25 per store
PS3/60G 4-10 per store
PS3/20G 1-4 per store
Translation: Pre-orders start on the 27th.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Thank god I work as club photographer...so I can get out of work after 4 AM and just go right to the Toys R Us :) Woohoo!

jetsetmario said:

Rough estimates are.....
Wii 12-25 per store
PS3/60G 4-10 per store
PS3/20G 1-4 per store

Thanks for the updates. There's seems to be miscommunications all around. Here's hoping I'm one of the lucky few people to nab a PS3 pre-order. I'm hopeful that a high traffic Toys 'R" Us location in NYC, will get at LEAST 10 units. This whole situation is hectic enough, so that last thing we need if for poor organization on behalf of the managers. In other words, I hope that they give out numbers to the people in line ASAP. This way, other people don't waste their time, and we know who's there, and for what. If they fail to organize it, what's to stop people from trampling eachother to pre-order first?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
jetsetmario said:

Rough estimates are.....
Wii 12-25 per store
PS3/60G 4-10 per store
PS3/20G 1-4 per store
Thanks very much for the update. :) And I'm relieved to hear that it's Sunday, not Friday.

A lawn chair and some coffee awaits!

Lee-T

Jetsetmario is only partly correct. No preorders are to be taken until Sunday the 29th. Most stores will be getting very few(mine 4 premium, 2 regular). There will be forced bundles at some locations based on the region. I'm not sure if it's going to be a regional or a district thing, but some stores will have bundles. I'd just call your store Friday because everything will be finalized by then, but today store managers got their preorder allocations and confirmation preorders start Sunday.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
Thanks for the updates. There's seems to be miscommunications all around. Here's hoping I'm one of the lucky few people to nab a PS3 pre-order. I'm hopeful that a high traffic Toys 'R" Us location in NYC, will get at LEAST 10 units. This whole situation is hectic enough, so that last thing we need if for poor organization on behalf of the managers. In other words, I hope that they give out numbers to the people in line ASAP. This way, other people don't waste their time, and we know who's there, and for what. If they fail to organize it, what's to stop people from trampling eachother to pre-order first?

No problem.

I think the misinformation is just a part of internet forum culture. Everyone thinks they have some valid anecdote but in the end it just confuses the facts.

Quantities are based on store volume. So if your store seems to be in a well trafficed area chances are you'll be on the high end.

TRU knows the drill. They have handled many large product launches over the years. Lines on Sunday will be organized, so it's probably safe to leave your protective gear at home. Now what happens in the parking lot after you pick up your system, that's a different story....:lol

Top Bottom