• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sick of these youtubers trying to blame "the media" whenever they get called out on their shit. No one is being unfair by reporting things you literally said and did in public

It's what I call weaponized little guy syndrome.

These people want to be rich and famous but also want to always be the little guy. So they can make a ton of money, have millions of fans, say whatever they want but always be just some little guy on youtube when the outside world takes notice. It's toxic as fuck.

Who is Samantha Bee and why is bringing her up a stupid move from Jon?

She said factually that the white vote elected Trump and JonTron thought blaming the Black vote for Obama would be a witty retort, as if both Presidents are at their core morally neutral, because he's not you know smart.

grim-tales

There isn't much to misconstrue over what you said Jon and this video doesn't help

That's what I thought.
He clearly said racist things, and in the video he's like "Uhhh I was having a debate".
No not really... how can the things he said be miscontrued?
ETA: Even though he didnt really apologise (imo) for what he said, I do agree with him that discrimination goes both/all ways and can kind of see where's he coming from.
I would have preferred it he said "I said some horrible things and had shitty opinions that upset people, and I'm sorry" too though.

That's what I thought.
He clearly said racist things, and in the video he's like "Uhhh I was having a debate".
No not really...
ETA: Even though he didnt really apologise (imo) for what he said, I do agree with him that discrimination goes both/all ways and can kind of see where's he coming from.
I would have preferred it he said "I said some horrible things and had shitty opinions that upset people, and I'm sorry" too though.

Discrimination goes both ways is a especially a completely nonsense statement on a macro/systemtic/societal/whatever sense which was the context in which all his "arguments" were based.

entremet

Yeah, JonTron is out of his league completely.

Terribly structured arguments. No logical consistency. Tons of contradictions. No real apology. No sincerity.

I actually listened to the whole thing. I don't watch his stuff, but I was curious.

Stay in your lane, breh.

I'm shocked by this shocking turn of events!

How has Disney and everyone associated with him dropped him by now? Also, special fuck you to Kotaku for that garbage piece of an article. Glad to see you try extra hard to use the kid gloves with blatant racists.

Seriously fuck this guy "I was misconstrued" no you weren't. I have heard this kind of bullshit since 02 "White European culture needs to be save" followed by "Fucking Nigg--" or "Fucking Jews". Also fuck Boogie2988 for defending this asshole " He being attacked because hes independent."yeah no.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyU5Bspq9ok&t=438s

Yeah, Boogie and TotalBiscuit are pretty garbage scum. Glad you decided to make it about how you were "attacked" during gamersgate for your grotesque views. Glad to see his not only stupid but so narcissistic that he couldn't let JonTron hog the stupid spotlight, he had to make it about himself and what "he went through".

Zubz

Banned
I'm shocked by this shocking turn of events!

How has Disney and everyone associated with him dropped him by now? Also, special fuck you to Kotaku for that garbage piece of an article. Glad to see you try extra hard to use the kid gloves with blatant racists.

PDP got picked up by mainstream media; they probably think they can bury anything that hasn't spread past Internet culture under the rug.

Necron

"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

One of the best posts I've read on here. Well written and concise.

joe2187

Banned
Who is Samantha Bee and why is bringing her up a stupid move from Jon?

Jontron used a clip in his video of Samantha Bee "Blaming" white people for making Trump president.

Edited to the part where only she says "White people ruined america" and then leaves out the rest of the segment and says "Well if I said black people ruined America it would be racist and double standards bullshit"

Here's the full segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1SaD-gSZO4

L Thammy

She said factually that the white vote elected Trump and JonTron thought blaming the Black vote for Obama would be a witty retort, as if both Presidents are at their core morally neutral, because he's not you know smart.

Trump's a self-serving bigot trying to lead Americans boldly into the 1930s, and Obama was the first black president. We shouldn't let either of these sins slide.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.
This that truth right here.

PDP got picked up by mainstream media; they probably think they can bury anything that hasn't spread past Internet culture under the rug.

Which is sad and is why people ask so much about "gaming culture". Yes, there's hatred and shittiness in other groups in society but there's a special, loud as shit group that people foster in gaming. You have ZERO outlets of gaming touching this or if they do they put out that kid glove diarrhea that kotaku did. People can turn a blind eye to the racism and disgusting core of gaming culture all they want but it will never disappear.

Great, great, great, great, great post.
Billy-D_Approves.gif

Someone on JonTron's subreddit posted a link to another Destiny streamed debate this time with someone from the Daily Stormer (I think?) who wanted to follow up on Jon's views. Truly awful, awful stuff. Jon is having literal Nazis argue on his behalf and still wants to chalk it up to 'I was a poor debater'.

Do you have the link to this? I'd love to check it out.

Anung

Un Rama
Jontron used a clip in his video of Samantha Bee "Blaming" white people for making Trump president.

Edited to the part where only she says "White people ruined america" and then leaves out the rest of the segment and says "Well if I said black people ruined America it would be racist and double standards bullshit"

Here's the full segment.

Especially bullshit because it was obviously a joke and PewDiePie was hiding behind the "it's just jokes" so I can say anything shtick. The community seems very selective of this stuff.

It was really stupid and only serves to further illustrate how stupid he is

LPkvNbw.gif

Wallach

Someone on JonTron's subreddit posted a link to another Destiny streamed debate this time with someone from the Daily Stormer (I think?) who wanted to follow up on Jon's views. Truly awful, awful stuff. Jon is having literal Nazis argue on his behalf and still wants to chalk it up to 'I was a poor debater'.

That doesn't surprise me, he couldn't spit out white supremacist talking points fast enough, and JonTron (according to this video) seems to think his problem is that he didn't state these opinions calmly or accurately enough.

There is zero self-awareness in anything he's doing and it'll get worse as a result.

Here's the full segment.

Almost like he's projecting when he blames the boogeyman media for editing his dumb-ass racist opinions to seem racist, huh.

At least he has 26,356 potential fans waiting in the wings.

grim-tales

Discrimination goes both ways is a especially a completely nonsense statement on a macro/systemtic/societal/whatever sense which was the context in which all his "arguments" were based.

Fair enough :) Sorry I misunderstood what was meant in that context.
Just watching the full Samantha Bee segment - think Jon was taking the line about white people too literally....
Jon should have apologised properly and said "Look, what I said was wrong", he blamed everyone but himself. Such a shame.

What's up with the "I say racist things but am not a racist" mentality? Smh
It's a tactic by the right/alt-right to make the parameters for being considered racist so narrow that the label basically loses all meaning, while also demonizing the act of calling someone racist to the point that calling someone a racist is somehow worse than saying and doing racist things. Basically, it's a tactic to stifle discussions about race.

JordanN

Banned
Why does he identify himself as "white" when he's half Iranian?

He wants to fit in with all the other white supremacists. What's funny is white supremacists will never accept him.

The minute they take over, Jon would be executed.

"But I worshiped and adored you guys!"
"Jafari is a persian name. Only pure blooded anglo-germans can live in our world, scum."

Wallach

It's a tactic by the right/alt-right to make the parameters for being considered racist so narrow that the label basically loses all meaning, while also demonizing the act of calling someone racist to the point that calling someone a racist is somehow worse than saying and doing racist things. Basically, it's a tactic to stifle discussions about race.

More specifically its a way to stifle the discussion only from their opposition. White supremacists still only really want to talk about race (as seen in JonTron's training video per Destiny) but they want to pretend it is only the "other side" that does that and should be ashamed for it. Then they go back to talking about race.

Oh this is the post. You said it well Nepenthe.

This guy really doesn't know how to debate or create a solid argument. His "We must protect our culture!" Argument is idiotic.

Can someone tell me what "white culture" is? German? Russian, Scandinavian? Polish? British? French? Canadian? If I remember my history lessons correctly the Aryan people settled in Turkey and Northern India. Are those people "white" too? Do all of these countries and the numerous other ones I haven't listed share the same culture and traditions?

aeolist

Banned
from slavery to Jim Crow to even the Irish

i fucking love how these morons always bring up the irish and try to make anti-irish sentiment equivalent to the other fucked up things america has done to its own people

aeolist

Banned
Can someone tell me what "white culture" is? German? Russian, Scandinavian? Polish? British? French? Canadian? If I remember my history lessons correctly the Aryan people settled in Turkey and Northern India. Are those people "white" too? Do all of these countries and the numerous other ones I haven't listed share the same culture and traditions?

the modern version of aryanism was basically invented out of whole cloth by the nazis and has little or nothing to do with actual history

Wallach

i fucking love how these morons always bring up the irish and try to make anti-irish sentiment equivalent to the other fucked up things america has done to its own people

Jon tried to argue that the Irish were not discriminated against in America with Destiny. It was Destiny that explained the reality of that to him in the first place.

The thing is in the debate Jon said that the Irish were never treated as anything other than white in America which is just not true

The Irish were racially persecuted when they came to America in a very real and violent way

aeolist

Banned
Jon tried to argue that the Irish were not discriminated against in America with Destiny. It was Destiny that explained the reality of that to him in the first place.

oh well then he's learning i guess

maybe when he's 50 he'll just be a garden variety conservative shithead

wandering

Banned
It sucks that the historical oppression of Irish people in America has been coopted by right-wingers to downplay the struggles of nonwhite people

Basically anybody that doesnt have "mixed" blood and doesnt have any relatives or parents that are non-white.

Now the key words to look for are

White = American term
Aryan = European term used by mostly Nazis/Nationalists/KKK
Anglo = Scientific term used to describe English, English speaking
European = Term used by politicians to infer that what they're really trying to say is Aryan .

Also "Western" is becoming another loaded codeword.

joe2187

Banned

Basically anybody that doesnt have "mixed" blood and doesnt have any relatives or parents that are non-white.

White = American term
European = Term used by politicians to infer that what they're really trying to say is Aryan .

Boem

White = American term

It always cracks me up that people still use the word 'Caucasian' to refer to white skinned people. I've been on a roadtrip in the Caucasus (which was amazing btw, beautiful there), this is what people look like there:

800px-Gorskii_03967u.jpg

TushetiWeding.jpg

People tend to be pretty brown skinned/middle eastern looking there.

(although, to be fair, the Caucasus is pretty large and home to a lot of ethnicities. But that makes it even weirder to pick out the whitest people there, ignore the rest, and lay claim to that term).

Of course, I never looked into the actual origin of the word Caucasian, so someone will be along shortly to blow this entire thing to bits

Also, race is indeed a weird concept and I like to think that some day maybe we'll all just be people.

Oh it's even funnier because he said in the earlier "debate" that anti-Irish sentiment was a myth.

Now when it's useful poof it was real afterall

Simmins

It's strange how much the whole JonTron situation reminds me of when TheSpoonyOne made a bunch of rape jokes on twitter years ago and self imploded and eventually faded into obscurity. Only the environment has gotten so bad that JonTron can be completely racist and maintain a large part of his audience. I would also guess the reason the video is unlisted is because those who largely watch his work are oblivious to the situation. This mitigates any damage he can do to himself and allows him to double-down since most of his twitter followers are on-board with his racism. He gets to throw a pity me party and have his followers give him a hug and tell him it's alright now, the SJW's, Feminazi's, and the Tolerant Left won't hurt him.

JediLink

I can generally sympathise that being flustered/under pressure can cause you to say things you didn't really want to, e.g. using bad examples and analogies which then could be read into in ways you didn't intend. But the kind of stuff Jon said just can't come from nowhere. There has to be a foundation. You can't just claim you were flustered to bail yourself out.

It's strange how much the whole JonTron situation reminds me of when TheSpoonyOne made a bunch of rape jokes on twitter years ago and self imploded and eventually faded into obscurity. Only the environment has gotten so bad that JonTron can be completely racist and maintain a large part of his audience. I would also guess the reason the video is unlisted is because those who largely watch his work are oblivious to the situation. This mitigates any damage he can do to himself and allows him to double-down since most of his twitter followers are on-board with his racism. He gets to throw a pity me party and have his followers give him a hug and tell him it's alright now, the SJW's, Feminazi's, and the Tolerant Left won't hurt him.

Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom