• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Overdoziz

Banned
I'd rather listen to the callouts than the commentators who only tell me what I'm already seeing on the screen and add nothing significant.

It's called "calling out", it's a strategy used to help find players on the map and figure what to do next.

I get that, but because I don't know their slang terms for locations it just sounds like gibberish.

Me and my friends do something similar with Gears 3, but it helps that you can click the left stick and a little icon will appear over their heads for a few seconds. It's a great way to locate/communicate about enemy locations, even without voices. I always wondered how something like that would fit into a Halo title. Maybe an armor modification?

Booshka

I get that, but because I don't know their slang terms for locations it just sounds like gibberish.

Me and my friends do something similar with Gears 3, but it helps that you can click the left stick and a little icon will appear over their heads for a few seconds. It's a great way to locate/communicate about enemy locations, even without voices. I always wondered how something like that would fit into a Halo title. Maybe an armor modification?

Press Up on the D-Pad to call out, Shadowrun did it 5 years ago, Reach took the Callout names idea, but didn't flesh it out to be useful like it is in Shadowrun.

Arnie

I didn't fully understand in the article, but is the ceiling of the Dyson Shell painted? Or is it artificial sky with artificial lights? I'm really eager to just land on Requiem and look up.

I'm also eager to learn whether there'll be some visual, skill based ranking system for competitive players in a Ranked environment, ala the 1-50 ranks of old.

I'm fine with there being a progressive unlocking system, I know that's how some people (especially in 2012) get their kicks, and I'd be a hypocrite to slate them for wanting that because honestly I stopped playing Gears 3 as it just felt a bit shallow for me, despite the gameplay being great.

What kept me coming back day after day in past Halo games was the competitive Ranking system that rewarded wins and team play. That's a must for me, if I'm to really get excited about 4 again. The credits in Reach never hooked me, and I envisage Spartan Points failing in a similar vein, even if I can unlock Active Camouflage at Gunner Sergeant.

JonCha

Thankfully I use call outs all the time, so this isn't like some kind of foreign language to me on EGL. They're going a bit mental though.

Press Up on the D-Pad to call out, Shadowrun did it 5 years ago, Reach took the Callout names idea, but didn't flesh it out to be useful like it is in Shadowrun.

Reach seems like this weird combo of Halo and Shadowrun, I'm shocked that didn't take that idea as well. You see an enemy, get your recitile on him, you call him out with your controller, a non-verbal form of communication, even randoms understand what you're talking about.

I heard Halo 4 has a button you can press to see an overlay of the map/power weapons like Gears 3? Maybe it has countdown for the random weapon swaps/drops. I'm excited to see how that works.

I like this stream, but I probably like it more if I liked Reach more. Even then, I'm not a huge fan of competitive/MLG Halo. Maybe I'm just a scrub who misses the radar ;_; I'm not a big fan of this 3x bloom-less DMR, either. I wonder how they balance the DMR out in Halo 4 if its a starting weapon you can choose from. 2x-scope, hitscan H2 BR or 3x-scope bloom-less H4 DMR, seems a little unbalanced on paper.

All the maps are Forge variations of "Infinity Training Deck". New Forge includes blocks in both light and dark grey. Includes great new features like double strength man cannons, random weapon spawns, spawn points to get your self instantly killed, and a frame rate cap set at 15fps. Preorder your copy now.

kylej

Banned
All the maps are Forge variations of "Infinity Training Deck". New Forge includes blocks in both light and dark grey. Includes great new features like double strength man cannons, random weapon spawns, spawn points to get your self instantly killed, and a frame rate cap set at 15fps. Preorder your copy now.

COD doesn't have a Forge feature so I'm still not entirely sure Halo 4 will have one.

monome

who cares if spartan ops are dl or on disc?
poeple who'll use this mode will launch it through Infinity.

I hardly someone going to the multiplayer section without internet access.

Sure there are caps, but I don't think MS will happily give 343 tons of bandwith for free dl, so those missions will probably be light and manage to use assets on the disc.

But, well I'm all to be sucked out of $ for anything Halo and I don't have bandcaps.

Waiting for E3 to get Didact reveal sucks.

For the love of god don't make any kind of exclusive unlockable anything for Gamespot and the like. No skulls, no skins, no abilities.

For the love all possible deities indeed. I can already see myself getting the games through several outlets...

Please give opportunity to get english voices in Euroland.
Sucks to order from UK and wait 4 more days.

Arnie

Probably that to allow for variation in whether and day/night cycles.

Makes sense. And I think the Forerunners are a bit past paint, thinking about it.

As for the Spartan Ops debate, I'd say 343 would have to brace for an absolute media and community shit storm if they tried to legitimise withholding content already on the disk that players have bought.

In my opinion it has to be downloadable, even if that's a stress on servers and certification, simply because of the consequences otherwise.

I imagine by the time release comes they'll be quite adept at handling shit storms.

TheOddOne

As for the Spartan Ops debate, I'd say 343 would have to brace for an absolute media and community shit storm if they tried to legitimise withholding content already on the disk that players have bought.
The article states that it is not paid DLC, it is free.

My understanding/idea of Spec Ops was that it's previously existing/easily modifiable spaces where they can drag and drop opponents and quickly make a mission using lots of the same assets. Cool, but not a huge investment each time, allowing for it to be small bits of in-game downloadable data that uses the pre-existing content on the disk.
Please give opportunity to get english voices in Euroland.
Sucks to order from UK and wait 4 more days.
What?!?
No thank you on the voices.
Generally Halo games come out a single day after the US release, if the not the same day.

Recarpo

For the love of god don't make any kind of exclusive unlockable anything for Gamespot and the like. No skulls, no skins, no abilities.

I'll agree to this. It's annoying enough if it's something small, but it's awful when it's something that changes gameplay like skulls and the like.

Fracas

#fuckonami
On a totally different subject:

These two comments were posted by the same person, about the same game, 25 minutes apart.

When your hyperbole gets this absurd, I can't listen to what you're saying any more. If you want to discuss something intelligently... USE REASONABLE WORDS.

Sure, what I said was a bit hyperbolic, but I stand by what I said. As a Halo game, Reach isn't very good. It brought a handful of positive things to the series, but it also brought a garbage truck of terrible ideas. When it works, ie AA's aren't horribly exploited, it's a lot of fun. The problem is, that doesn't happen often. The bad outweighs the good here. I hold this series to a high standard, as I would assume everyone in this forum does. Reach doesn't meet that standard. After playing a game of vanilla slayer the other day, I don't even understand how I played the game before the title update. The reason I play it at all is because I can play with guys here, which removes randoms who like to break the game by exploiting AA's, and for the occasional random minigame. There's also Reach's competition to consider, which consists of about 10 different titles that are practically the same game.

Arnie

The article states that it is not paid DLC, it is free.

Oh I know, we misunderstand each other.

I'm not saying 343 wish to charge people for the DLC, if it even is that. I'm saying there's an ethical debate to charging customers for a product and then withholding aspects of that product behind a virtual barrier. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 did something similar with certain map variations, and it pissed a lot of people off.

In my opinion, the only way for 343 to legitimise the Spartan Ops as weekly content would be to have it downloadable, even though it is free. Too many impatient 14 year olds with buckets of time on their hands would spit and moan about having to wait for content that's already on the disk they own.

TheOddOne

You guys want any old maps? Because I don't
Nope.

I wonder though how many maps we will be getting.

Oh I know, we misunderstand each other.

I'm not saying 343 wish to charge people for the DLC, if it even is that. I'm saying there's an ethical debate to charging customers for a product and then withholding aspects of that product behind a virtual barrier. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 did something similar with certain map variations, and it pissed a lot of people off.

In my opinion, the only way for 343 to legitimise the Spartan Ops as weekly content would be to have it downloadable, even though it is free. Too many impatient 14 year olds with buckets of time on their hands would spit and moan about having to wait for content that's already on the disk they own.
Yeah, sorry misunderstood ya there. You bring up a good point.

Let's say...10 new maps? 7 designed for 4v4, the other 3 for the bigger, BTB kind of games. As long as they're good, ya know?

And then there's the Forge/Holodeck variants that will hopefully have more then 1 color to bring up the slack in-between DLC

Arnie

The only remake I want is The Pit. And maybe Valhalla.

I'm happy leaving Halo 2 maps to rest for a bit, they've sort of been done to death in numerous iterations. And no Reach maps deserve a remake.

kylej

Banned
Imagine The Pit set at midnight in the middle of the arctic ocean and the whole thing is actually an abandoned oil platform.

Ship it.

I'm happy leaving Halo 2 maps to rest for a bit, they've sort of been done to death in numerous iterations. And no Reach maps deserve a remake.

I kind of agree with this, classics even from Halo 1 have been done to death. Some of the lesser remade maps would be nice, but to be honest I would be happy with Pit, Guardian and a Blood Gulch/ Vallahalla style map. To be honest I think the maps need to reflect the gameplay changes and so im not sure remakes would work that brilliantly anyway.

Trey

Never knew why people liked the Pit so much. It's a serviceable map, but so are others.

Arnie

Imagine The Pit set at midnight in the middle of the arctic ocean and the whole thing is actually an abandoned oil platform.

Ship it.

I laughed.

If they remake The Pit then they need to make sure the lighting is intact. Helps so much with navigation and map awareness.

Saying all this about remakes. Seeing someone jetpack up to S2 would probably melt away a piece of my soul. After Reach I think they're just best leaving all the remakes alone. It just sours my opinion on older maps back in the days when Halo was golden.

Overdoziz

Banned
Let's say...10 new maps? 7 designed for 4v4, the other 3 for the bigger, BTB kind of games. As long as they're good, ya know?

And then there's the Forge/Holodeck variants that will hopefully have more then 1 color to bring up the slack in-between DLC
If there's one thing they have to copy from CoD is the amount of maps at launch. CoD4 had around 15 and both MW2 and 3 had 16. If we're going to have 3 4v4 maps, 2 invasion maps and 5 Forge maps again like in Reach I'm going to cry.

Arnie

Never knew why people liked the Pit so much. It's a serviceable map, but so are others.

You sir are high.

The Pit is the best map in Halo history.

Give me Multi Flag on The Pit, MLG settings and a Red Bull and I'm good to go.

senador

Banned
Lots of good maps at launch please, with minimal remakes if any. 15 or so like Over said. Then after that, a frequent DLC map pack drop, but make them come up in game. ;)

Also, I don't want Forge. I know Forge guys would be sad, but I just hate playing on that shit. No amount of Forge advancements are likely to change that either. If there is Forge, I don't want the Forge maps to count in the initial map count like with Reach.

Trey

If there's one thing they have to copy from CoD is the amount of maps at launch. CoD4 had around 15 and both MW2 and 3 had 16. If we're going to have 3 4v4 maps, 2 invasion maps and 5 Forge maps again like in Reach I'm going to cry.

It's quite easy to design a lot of maps for a game with literally only one playstyle where the most significant practical change from map to map is the amount of sightlines and camping spots available.

Contrast to Halo which has vehicles and armor abilities and weapon pickups and melee weapons and shit.

The Pit is the best map in Halo history.

Disagree. Although I don't play much Halo in MLG settings, so that's probably why.

Goodness fuck I need to knock out this backlog and need school to finish so I can play some Reach.

I don't think the actual number of maps matters so long as the quality is high.

MW3 had 16 (or whatever), but all of them were forgettable. One of the reasons why I played MW3 for two days and stopped.

TheOddOne

Played Black Ops for a while and those maps had no personality whatsoever. Didn't buy MW3, but MW2 has some pretty awesome maps (ok, more good ones then bad ones).

senador

Banned

MW3 had 16 (or whatever), but all of them were forgettable. One of the reasons why I played MW3 for two days and stopped.

I think it matters, especially long term. The shipping maps are the ones we'll play most and the ones that'll come up the most. If we only have a few good ones, we won't have much variety. In this case, I think we should hope for both quantity and quality.

heckfu

Banned

Absolutely. Plan: sixteen maps, haves couple demolished buildings, a couple on fire, and a ton of shit floating in the air. We'll call it...Modern Warfare 3.

Trey

I think it matters, especially long term. The shipping maps are the ones we'll play most and the ones that'll come up the most. If we only have a few good ones, we won't have much variety. In this case, I think we should hope for both quantity and quality.

I would rather have a few really good, well made, utility maps than a bunch of hit or misses that make me only half enjoy matchmaking.

Top Bottom