• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

You can join any guild you want from any server. For example we had the GAF guild where we made it on Henge of Denravi and guys from Europe were in it playing on Jade Sea.

Ah cool, didnt know that was possible during the beta since they didnt have guesting, thought that also included not being able to "crossguild"?

Hope theres a bit more EU gaf in the guild the next time, there were like 5 people in the guild that were on Jade Sea.

That sucks. In Henge of Denravi, at anytime that I was playing I ran into someone with the GAF tag in their name. It was pretty cool. Wish I had more time to actually do the events with them but I was doing them with my brother.

Retro

Hmm... installing the Sims 3 to try and give myself another game to play instead of sitting and refreshing GW2 news sites and GAF all day. Will likely end up disgusted with it as I slowly realize all of the content that made the Sims 2 great has been gutted and added to their cash shop. Fuckin' EA.

WoW Raid Discussion

I wouldn't say I ever raided on the bleeding edge, but I was a part of raid guilds for the last couple Raids in Vanilla, most of TBC and a early WotLK; the lack of content between Naxx (which most of that guild had done in Vanilla) and Ulduar killed the guild and I ended up just not giving a shit anymore. I also got stuck leading a raiding guild (late vanilla, early TBC) after the two GMs and an officer had a hissy fit and ragequit (in retrospect, they were probably the smart ones). That's the reason why I offered to only be an officer rather than a GM in GW2, though having played it I don't think the drama will be anywhere near as bad.

I hated the constant, militaristic attitude that came with raiding; it turned the game into a job. When I started hiding on alts because my main would be required to farm mats and stuff for raids, I knew there was a problem. I hated having to log in at specific times or lose my precious slot. I hated how the arguing and distribution of loot took more time than the actual boss fights. I hated people constantly bugging me as GM to give them Bob's slot since he wasn't 'pulling his weight', or getting whispers that Jim's DPS was .56 lower than Dan's and he deserved that Core Hound Tooth, regardless of DKP (which itself was fucking stupid). Or Rob letting his friend play and wiping the raid, or needing to go AFK and not coming back. Having people scream that everyone needs to stop having fun and focus on killing the raid boss because they have work in the morning. Constantly kissing the ass of our healers to stay in our guild, and constantly getting poached because I didn't feel like raiding 7 days a week and everyone else did. PUGing people to fill raid slots and having them turn out to be complete assholes or, worse, really cool guys that everyone else felt threatened by.

Fuck all that noise. It was herding nerds, which is harder than herding kittens because at least they're cute when they're being assholes and eventually grow up.

I picture the end game in GW2 to be WvW until expansions come out.

Those of us with Alt-itis will probably just unlock a new character slot and roll a new profession. Even the Warrior and Guardian were different enough in terms of gameplay that I can see myself easily rolling both. I'm sure I'll have one of each profession, easily.

Vinci

Danish
That sucks. In Henge of Denravi, at anytime that I was playing I ran into someone with the GAF tag in their name. It was pretty cool. Wish I had more time to actually do the events with them but I was doing them with my brother.

Yes, I saw lots of GAF folks. It wasn't our lack of presence that got our server pummeled.

So, what exactly IS Guild Wars 2 endgame? Outside of PVP which I have no interest in.

PVP was basically endgame in GW1, and for most it will be in GW2. The scaling content is nice but it basicaly will have you repeating content just on a harder difficulty. For those in the endgame mindset of MMOs, they will have a hard time grasping GW2's approach I think. The nice aspect of it is that you basically approach and play the game as you see fit instead of following a linear path. For those who love raiding and such, the game might not be for them. But old MMO's didn't have endgame, the mould for that started with WoW and just became popular. But it's something that some people love and seem to live for.

Retro

Yes, I saw lots of GAF folks. It wasn't our lack of presence that got our server pummeled.

Yeah, when I finally got around to doing WvW, running with GAFers was *amazing*. We drove red completely out of the Green Borderland by coordinating some awesome arrow cart tactics. Loved the stories of people holding keeps for hours against constant bombardment.

Really looking forward to making a GAF presence felt in WvW. I think we were just disorganized in the Beta because... well... it was a beta. I know I spent a lot of time just soaking in the game rather than trying all the different parts of it out.

Boss Man

Er, scaling? In an MMO?

The game looks fun, but that sounds really gross...

I wish level scaling would die in a fire. How does that even work in an MMO? I hate it in SP games but put up with it sometimes for the stories. An MMO is pretty much exclusively about character progress...

Mulligan

Banned

I didn't have a chance to join last time but will for sure next BWE.

Retro

Er, scaling? In an MMO?

The game looks fun, but that sounds really gross...

I wish level scaling would die in a fire. How does that even work in an MMO?

Relax, it's not what you think (at least, I assume you're thinking that mobs level with you).

What they mean by scaling is that characters de-level when they enter a lower-level zone, so the content is actually enjoyable and they can't run around 1-shotting everything.

For example, a Level 80 character can run back to the starter zone and play with his friend without stealing all his XP and steamrolling all the content. This also means that dungeons will always be difficult regardless of level.

You cannot be up-leveled (side-kicked), however, so the scale only goes one way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I liked doing Underworld, Fissure and Sorrow's Furnace runs in GW1 with my guild.

Edit: and to StateofMind, to ease your... state of mind, despite the player scaling, I felt way more powerful at level 9 than at level 5 in the same areas, even though mobs didn't get "easy." There's a substantial feeling of progression and it feels like each level makes a difference which seems to be quite rare.

I didn't have a chance to join last time but will for sure next BWE.

I didn't play WvWvW either because I was just having so much fun with the PvE. I also felt like there wasn't enough time for me to try and come up with a decent build so that I am not useless.

I liked doing Underworld, Fissure and Sorrow's Furnace runs in GW1 with my guild.

Edit: and to StateofMind, to ease your... state of mind, despite the player scaling, I felt way more powerful at level 9 than at level 5 in the same areas, even though mobs didn't get "easy." There's a substantial feeling of progression and it feels like each level makes a difference which seems to be quite rare.

I have beaten FoW and Sorrow's Furnace, and also farmed UW a lot back in the day but would be fun to get a group from GAF tonight to do a run through UW to complete all the quests.

WvW is definitely one of my main focus' for the next beta. Hope to run with the GAF guild, every time I jumped in at random I felt so lost and had no clue where the fighting was. :lol

I kind of hope they don't open up play to Sylvari or Asura this next beta. I have so much more to experience as it is.

Boss Man

Ahh, sweet relief. Thanks for the info instead of jumping on me- I went and read into the details some more and it does indeed not sound that bad. I was assuming the Skyrim-type level scaling, this seems more like the level scaling I was introduced to in FFXI.

Just to be clear, I can get my ass kicked by a monster at level 1 and then murder it and all of its family at level 20 because I'm stronger? Apparently, this can only ever happen if I venture into dangerous territory at level 1 first though, correct?

Retro

Ahh, sweet relief. Thanks for the info instead of jumping on me

The GW2 Kool-aid is apparently a sedative as well. The only thing we get riled up about in this thread are stupid posts on Reddit that completely wrong ("spam 1 to win"), the lack of a release date, and the occasional drive-by trolling from the furry pedophile defense force.

Just to be clear, I can get my ass kicked by a monster at level 1 and then murder it and all of its family at level 20 because I'm stronger? Apparently, this can only ever happen if I venture into dangerous territory at level 1 first though, correct?

No. You will head back to the level one zone and your experience gauge will read "20 (↓1)", indicating that you are level 20, but have been downleveled to 1. This includes your equipment. You will still have all of your skills and traits and such, and will still be a little stronger than a level 1 player (think of it as being a 'twink', if that helps; the absolute max performance you could possibly get out of a character of that level), but from a statistical point of view you're level 1.

That means you can go back to any dungeon or starting zone and experience it 'for real' instead of steamrolling through it.

Ahh, sweet relief. Thanks for the info instead of jumping on me- I went and read into the details some more and it does indeed not sound that bad. I was assuming the Skyrim-type level scaling, this seems more like the level scaling I was introduced to in FFXI.

Difficulty can be pretty high. You can start having some difficulty around level 3 really. The stronger aspect when you come back more comes from skills and what you have learned. Later on you will encounter mobs that use dodge and weapon swaps and you will get used to that, then when you come back and the mobs stand still for the most part it will seem simple.

I equate it to a Demon's Souls or Dark Souls on player progression. You learn over time and get better as a player with your skills and dodging and kiting.

It is a strange thing to *view* end game, the way it has been viewed in a post WoW world. I do not think it is logical to expect a game to have fun-forever-down-the-road-gameplay. People talk about end game like it's something tangible. I don't think there has been a universally loved end game in a MMO. Even in games like UO and DaOC the developers managed to fuck up their own thing. So it's all just scemantics. It's Santa Claus. But people are talking about it, like it is something that you can just go over and take, and expect to be fun forever after the game is done.

GW2 bombards you with end game content at earlier levels. What was The Shatterer.. a lvl 40-60 Event Boss? That content (because of scaling) can be enjoyed regardless.
I think the idea is to make all of the games content viable.

Normally when you have end game, you only have a few dungeons. Let's do a Diablo run! You offer the same few dungeons because they are the only ones that are appropriately "tuned" for maxmimum challenge and reward.
Getting downkicked, you will not get uber rewards. Potato talks about this in one of his recent video. So is the levelling curve truly flat? Well - The idea is that you are still supposed to get tangible experiences, rewards and decent loot, but it cant be end game quality, because then you could stay in queensdale until lvl 80 and gear yourself appropriately. Or well. You can. Sor of. Its just going to be random decent drops. Not dungeon or pvp vendor drop quality.

So is everything end game? Sort of. Is dynamic event boss monsters actually open world raids? sort of. I would argue that GW2 can make it's own case of end game.

We have seen how people get fed up with end game in themepark MMOs. the gameplay is modifiable enough to be fun for hundreds and hundreds of times. We've seen games like Left 4 dead that tries to scale the pve content to make a dynamic game. But even that grows stale. WoW's way of dealing with these problems is recreating the content with new skins and variables, and thus are trying to kill the problem by creating variety. But after a while, it wont be enough.

People hold the word "dynamic" too such high standards. it gets annoying. obviously a dynamic event is only dynamic in a certain sense of the word. its a scripted chain of events that can move back and forth, but its not dynamically that it can happen anywhere. so it has variables and rules, that with time and with enough repetitions will let it seem static and predictable. But so what? we can only expect so much.

I think it's healthy for games to end. Fun-forever is santa claus. grow the hell up.

PVP was basically endgame in GW1, and for most it will be in GW2. The scaling content is nice but it basicaly will have you repeating content just on a harder difficulty. For those in the endgame mindset of MMOs, they will have a hard time grasping GW2's approach I think. The nice aspect of it is that you basically approach and play the game as you see fit instead of following a linear path. For those who love raiding and such, the game might not be for them. But old MMO's didn't have endgame, the mould for that started with WoW and just became popular. But it's something that some people love and seem to live for.

Well, there was a big portion that dedicated a lot of end game time to titles, and completing hard mode, and the skill collecting. In retrospect, I think there was more PvE end game than PvP end game in Guild Wars 1.

Trey

WvW is definitely one of my main focus' for the next beta. Hope to run with the GAF guild, every time I jumped in at random I felt so lost and had no clue where the fighting was. :lol

I kind of hope they don't open up play to Sylvari or Asura this next beta. I have so much more to experience as it is.

I'm with you there. PVP all day every day for the betas from here on out.

Since it is the middle of te week and nothing has been announced, I hope they just keep BWE2 for last week of May because next weekend I wont be able to play.

Really weird that even their community team has been really quite also.

Hackbert

Since it is the middle of te week and nothing has been announced, I hope they just keep BWE2 for last week of May because next weekend I wont be able to play.

And please no release before july XD

I'm OK with this! Although the last weekend in May is Memorial Day Weekend so I'll probably be camping.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I hated people constantly bugging me as GM to give them Bob's slot since he wasn't 'pulling his weight', or getting whispers that Jim's DPS was .56 lower than Dan's and he deserved that Core Hound Tooth, regardless of DKP (which itself was fucking stupid). Or Rob letting his friend play and wiping the raid, or needing to go AFK and not coming back. Having people scream that everyone needs to stop having fun and focus on killing the raid boss because they have work in the morning. Constantly kissing the ass of our healers to stay in our guild, and constantly getting poached because I didn't feel like raiding 7 days a week and everyone else did. PUGing people to fill raid slots and having them turn out to be complete assholes or, worse, really cool guys that everyone else felt threatened by.

I miss those days...

<---------- Healer

Proven

I don't have "endgame" in my head the same way other MMO people might. For me, I've seen WvW as the endgame that you can do from level 1. From a console player stand point, the only reason you keep playing a game once you've "beaten" it is for further mastery and/or glory among friends. WvW accomplishes the glory aspect in a big way. If Local Chat stays cross-server readable, along with guild banners over keep walls, the sorts of player-driven fun that can arise out of WvW has immense potential.

PvP also accomplishes the mastery and glory aspects, so my only worry comes down to PvE. Unless there are major consequences to later Dynamic Events, and they are tough as nails to beat and/or reverse, then the only thing to get out of PvE alone will be the dungeon armors.

I'm hoping for a situation where anytime you see a certain guild tag roll up, you know that your butt just got rescued and not even a giant elder dragon stands a chance. Like in the stories I hear about the guilds in Ultima Online and Everquest. The fact that you can use squads in PvE gives me hope.

Absinthe

I hated the constant, militaristic attitude that came with raiding; it turned the game into a job. When I started hiding on alts because my main would be required to farm mats and stuff for raids, I knew there was a problem. I hated having to log in at specific times or lose my precious slot. I hated how the arguing and distribution of loot took more time than the actual boss fights. I hated people constantly bugging me as GM to give them Bob's slot since he wasn't 'pulling his weight', or getting whispers that Jim's DPS was .56 lower than Dan's and he deserved that Core Hound Tooth, regardless of DKP (which itself was fucking stupid). Or Rob letting his friend play and wiping the raid, or needing to go AFK and not coming back. Having people scream that everyone needs to stop having fun and focus on killing the raid boss because they have work in the morning. Constantly kissing the ass of our healers to stay in our guild, and constantly getting poached because I didn't feel like raiding 7 days a week and everyone else did. PUGing people to fill raid slots and having them turn out to be complete assholes or, worse, really cool guys that everyone else felt threatened by.

Reading this made me glad I never got sucked into WoW.

inky

Let's pray then that the GAF guild doesn't kick me out when they are battling for the server in WvW and I ignore them because I am doing every climbing challenge in the world :3

Hopefully they allow Guild Alliances so we can have both guild together in chat, or at least they up the number of guild members.

Endgame means what you do after you hit the level cap. People are actively trying to distort the term in this thread.

If you like pvp, endgame won't be an issue for you. If you're a pve only person who refuses to play in wvw... there doesn't appear to be much out there as far as content new to level 80 players.

DJIzana

Endgame means what you do after you hit the level cap. People are actively trying to distort the term in this thread.

If you like pvp, endgame won't be an issue for you. If you're a pve only person who refuses to play in wvw... there doesn't appear to be much out there as far as content new to level 80 players.

I'd disagree with that. They do plan to add content patches & expansions but considering there's no monthly fee, people can always come back after they've "maxed" out their character anyways (worst case scenario).

On top of that, you can always make a new character / race combo and experience a different personal story too.

gunbo13

No hardcore PvP players use PvP gear.

Retro

If you're a pve only person who refuses to play in wvw... there doesn't appear to be much out there as far as content new to level 80 players.

Game isn't even out...
Barely seen any content over level 30...
Almost no discussion at all about future content...

..."doesn't appear to be much out there as far as content new to level 80 players"?

Seriously?

gunbo13

Game isn't even out...

..."doesn't appear to be much out there as far as content new to level 80 players"?

Seriously?
So...any ideas on how GW2 can re-invent itself?

Orayn

We're not trying to distort the term - The game does that on its own. Why won't you accept that even in the absence of other content, level scaling dramatically changes the implications of reaching level 80?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, when I finally got around to doing WvW, running with GAFers was *amazing*. We drove red completely out of the Green Borderland by coordinating some awesome arrow cart tactics. Loved the stories of people holding keeps for hours against constant bombardment.

Really looking forward to making a GAF presence felt in WvW. I think we were just disorganized in the Beta because... well... it was a beta. I know I spent a lot of time just soaking in the game rather than trying all the different parts of it out.

I think Greenlake tower should be our base of operations from now on despite the fact that it's:
1) In the middle of Red's home Borderlands and we're on Green
2) Of no particular strategic importance
3) Under near-constant assault basically as long as you hold it because of its position

I miss that place so much already already.

As far as the disorganization, yeah, WvW was sort of where I defaulted to hanging out when I wasn't really doing anything at all but wanted to stay logged in to add people to the Guild and such. It just feels like such an organic, constantly roiling battlefield it's kind of hard not to think of it as "home" in-game (though maybe that'll change when I start upgrading my lab in Rata Sum :D).

When we have the whole Commander/Squad thing locked down, WvW will have a whole new meaning, really. On two seperate occasions, I plonked down a Trebuchet in prime locations only to have the useless Green crowd not listen to my instructions to fill it up with supply (it requires 100 and a part of 5 can only contribute 50), making it a useless pile of rubble instead of the powerful siege weapon it should be.

Retro

Apparently MSNBC is going to be at ANet Studios tomorrow with a camera crew; https://twitter.com/#!/TamiFoote/status/200332097947308033

Dunno who this person is, but she does say "Our Studio", so... yeah.

So...any ideas on how GW2 can re-invent itself?

Hyper-sexualized cat-children in revealing undergarments seems to draw a crowd these days. Not too late to change the Asura. Make sure they have enormous breasts but the bodies of an 8 year old. Starting area is nothing but tentacle-based enemies.

Sylvari need to revert back to their original design, but get nakeder and evil-looking. Everyone likes 'evil elves', right? And they can ride on dragons. Robotic Dragons. With two heads. And the heads can each attack independently. And they can fly. Oh, and they start with a level 80 weapon since they're an ancient race and they'd have that kind of equipment lying around. And turn invisible at will. And get a +12 Sexy check to /dance and /flirt commands. Everyone loves OP Elf races.

Oh yeah, add mounts back in.

Charr need to have multiple species options, not just feline. Maybe you can make a Wolf-Charr or a Panda-Charr. Female Charr have enormous breasts. Both genders can sport an enormous phallus. Starting area is nothing but other anthropomorphic animal rapists. Rename Black Citadel to "Furry Central".

Norn, just go into photoshop and change their skin textures to green and blue. Call them Norcs.

Combat is too fast currently, so I'd change it so you need to stop every. single. time. you press an action button. But you can aim with the mouse instead of tab-targetting, so it feels fast. Give a player a new skill every level; it is effectively the same as every other button, but the icon is different and it goes "ZAP" instead of "ZONK". Make sure the UI and modification front end allows players to display every single skill they have at once.

Don't just bring the Holy Trinity back, bring it back hardcore. There are 72 classses, all basically variations of "Stand here and press Taunt", "Stand here and press heal" and "OMGPEWPEW" That's actually a class name, Omgpewpewer.

Hybrids are burned at the stake on the Pyre of Furor, especially anything that looks like Paladins.

Standing in Fire grants a permanent +12 Coolness points.

Chuck Norris is the leader of the Human Faction.

Replace WvW with 100 man raids, release a new raid every 6 months. Gate the content so a new boss is added each month.

Get EA to publish, let them take a crack at the cash shop.

Change the name to Second World of TERA: The Old Republic.

I think people will do similar things when they reach the level cap like they did in Guild Wars 1.

I mean you hit the cap pretty early in that game, but after you finish the story I mean.

Roll new characters, PVP, dungeons, visit zones you didn't go to maybe with new characters or whatever.

I am assuming we will be getting expansions for Cantha and Elona perhaps. So there's quite a bit to look forward to.

Worst case scenario, you hit the level cap, have nothing to do, then come back later when more is added or new expansion comes out since you don't have to worry about a monthly fee.

inky

Game isn't even out...

Seriously?

Well, he is FutureZombie.

Card Boy

Banned
Game isn't even out...

Seriously?

What if he is correct? What then? Arenanet haven't exactly being saying what the end game in terms of PvE would be.

Orayn

What if he is correct? What then? Arenanet haven't exactly being saying what the end game in terms of PvE would be.

The biggest world events and hardest dungeons are a given, but the point is that GW2 doesn't need a supply of endgame content. Players don't outgrow content as they level up, so you can still go have adventures in lower level zones and get only slightly decreased rewards. The point is to have fun playing the game!

"The biggest world events and hardest dungeons are a given, but the point is that GW2 doesn't need a supply of endgame content like others games do since players don't outgrow content as they level up. You can still go have adventures in lower level zones and get only slightly decreased rewards."

Sounds fun! Doing stuff you've already done before for worthless loot.

"What if he is correct? What then? Arenanet haven't exactly being saying what the end game in terms of PvE would be."

Then we pretend it's okay because there's no monthly fee.

DJIzana

Again, then don't play until they release a content patch or expansion pack... or do what we have mentioned prior. You aren't paying a monthly fee so it's not like you'll be wasting money.

Orayn

Except you almost certainly won't have done it before. Getting to max level doesn't necessitate completing 100% of the game's content. And if you didn't enjoy playing up until the "endgame," why would you expect things to suddenly change?

Retro

Hey, that sounds like.... every MMO ever.

Then we pretend it's okay because there's no monthly fee.

You say that sarcastically, but the reality is that MMO players often have nothing to do between content pushes except daily quests, PVP and achievement hunting. All of which GW2 will have. But instead of dropping $15 a month to poke at the game between exciting high points, you can just walk away and not waste a dime.

BrettWeir

Ugh. The "End game" cycle rears its ugly head........again.

Beta withdrawal has set in. I have constant shakes and twitches.

"Except you almost certainly won't have done it before. Getting to max level doesn't necessitate completing 100% of the game's content. And if you didn't enjoy playing up until the "endgame," why would you expect things to suddenly change?"

Are you really saying at level 80 someone "almost certainly" wouldn't have played through the dungeons? Or gone through a majority of the zones? Unless you think a compelling way to spend however many months until the next significant content patch is searching for however many points of interest you missed?

"Hey, that sounds like.... every MMO ever."

Every MMO ever generally dangle upgrades to what you have, not "decreased rewards."

Retro

Every MMO ever generally dangle upgrades to what you have, not "decreased rewards."

PCG: So I can get to my friend&#8217;s server. That&#8217;s great. But what if we&#8217;re different levels? How will rewards work when high-level players are grouping with low-level characters in low-level areas?

Lead Game Designer Eric Flannum High level characters who are playing in low level areas still receive rewards appropriate to their &#8220;real&#8221; level. The rate at which they gain these rewards is lower in the lower level area than if they&#8217;d been playing in an area that was equal to their own level.(Source)

The decrease is only in their drop rate, not their functionality. Also, constantly chasing after minor gear upgrades so you can chase after minor gear upgrades so you can raid for minor gear upgrades so you can shine like a slightly-upgraded paragon (wink) the handful of times you log in while waiting months for a content push so you can start chasing minor gear upgrades again sounds like a mental illness.

birdchili

not having endgame loot that's better/more interesting in some way seems a de-motivator to me.

i like loot.

...and i'm a lot more motivated by some sort of new effect or stat bonus than i would be by a teal sunvisor.

i'm glad that they're not saying: "welcome to cap! y'know those four buddies you levelled with? well... get ready for some company... a *lot* of company".

Retro

not having endgame loot that's better/more interesting in some way seems a de-motivator to me.

We haven't seen much of GW2's "endgame", but if it's anything like GW1 you'll flatten out and then spend time tracking down ways to horizontally improve rather than constantly chasing a vertical progression. For example, you might track down a sigil or something that compliments a new build you're working on, rather than chase after a +2 stat gain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

i like loot.

...and i'm a lot more motivated by some sort of new effect or stat bonus than i would be by a teal sunvisor.

i'm glad that they're not saying: "welcome to cap! y'know those four buddies you levelled with? well... get ready for some company... a *lot* of company".
Do you consider "looks cooler" and "has better stats" to be included in "better/more interesting?" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom