• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman Legends 3 axed; Capcom blames fans/goes insane, [Fans Start Support Group]

LiK

Amir0x said:
Paper Mario 3DS
Super Mario 3D
Resident Evil Revelations
Beyond the Labyrinth

I would add stuff like Etrian Odyssey 3DS which was on a list of "in-development 3DS games", but with stuff like this news, it might as well be canceled. Might as well not get the hopes up.

Although, I am keeping an eye open for a handful of others in the off chance they're decent, like Kid Icarus, Time Travelers and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. But only one eye open because there's reasons to be suspect about them all.

hell yea, RE Revelations. i'm also stoked for Layton.

Jomjom

Banned
Amir0x said:
fuck. one of the main games I wanted for 3DS :/

down to like four games now :(

Down to one for me. Theatrhythm, you are the last hope for me!

EDIT: Two actually, just remembered the Layton/Phoenix Wright game. Although I haven't heard anything about that in forever. Hopefully it's not going to get cancelled like MML3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
3DS is fucked. Where's the blackboard?

jling84 said:
Down to one for me. Theatrhythm, you are the last hope for me!

So, essentially, you got a 3DS for 1 game (seeing as Theatrhythm was JUST announced)...

EatChildren said:
3DS is fucked. Where's the blackboard?

Already posted. Didn't even have MML3 on it. Lawl.

Razlo

Capcom has some serious issues! Why not at least put out prototype and see if it does well enough to warrant continuing MML3?!

Now some fans should make a spiritual successor!

LiK

SnakeSlashRO said:
Why did kenji infune leave???? Time to bring that story back up....

i thought he was sick of Capcom as a company. there was an extensive blog from him somewhere after he left.

RedSwirl said:
But why is this happening to a Nintendo HANDHELD? I know we should still probably be waiting until how the thing fairs this fall, but Nintendo handheld's have always had reliable third party support. That has been a bedrock that you could depend on through three hardware generations. What the hell happened?
Honestly?

Because games got more expensive to develop. 3DS games require more money, time, and manpower than a DS game.

Which, I mean, march of time. Nothing you can do about it. But it's hurting everyone, from Nintendo to third parties. You can't take a risk on a game right now because you'll be out more money. That investment of capital, time, and opportunity cost will hit you harder than it did on the DS.

Ironically, the Vita will probably have an easier time of it because of the asset (at minimum) sharing it can do with the PS3.

Jomjom

Banned
AceBandage said:
So, essentially, you got a 3DS for 1 game (seeing as Theatrhythm was JUST announced)...

Nope haven't bought a 3DS yet. Nothing out currently or in the near future that I want. After Theatrhythm was announced though, that got me hyped. When that releases, I'm definitely picking up a 3DS, so please don't get cancelled!!!

Deadbeat

Banned
I hope the DS keeps on selling. Lets just all think of the 3DS as an experiment and move on.
ShockingAlberto said:
I bought mine literally only for Ace Attorney vs. Layton.
Whats the status on this game? Does it even exist anymore?

Despera

Banned
Synless said:
Honestly, what is coming out for the 3DS that isn't from Nintendo?
That Time Travelers game or whatever from Level 5. The most interesting upcoming 3DS game for me... But I haven't heard a thing since the game's initial announcement.

Deadbeat said:
I hope the DS keeps on selling. Lets just all think of the 3DS as an experiment and move on.

Who knows, maybe they'll cancel it. That game sounds too good to be true as well.

Synless said:

XV7EF.jpg

ijWvt.jpg

fantasylife0826.jpg

Professor_layton_ace_attorney-art.jpg

Nintendo-3DS-Dragon-Quest-Heroes-Rocket-Slime-3-Screenshots-12.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AceBandage said:

Yet has Metal Gear Solid for...some...reason...

Deadbeat said:
It's a Level 5 game, so I wouldn't expect to see it until it's nearing completion.

On the other hand, it's a Level 5 game, and they do not actually develop games, they just announce them. So who knows.

I trust that it's coming because Layton is a cash cow.

Amir0x

Banned
Synless said:

well Resident Evil Revelations. Beyond the Labyrinth. So half the games I want from 3DS aren't from Nintendo.

Actually, even Nintendo's 3DS lineup is pretty abysmal. Unless you're in dire need of yet more Mario Kart or N64 remakes, or another entry in the worst gaming franchise of all time Animal Crossing. Or, fuck, that lame peek-a-boo ghost garbage with Luigi's Mansion. Awful on GCN with like one hour of content and all of it skill-less tripe.

I am still holding onto Mario and whenever they release a proper 3DS Zelda, of course. But like I said, Nintendo better start coming up with new franchises and quick. I know others are content to play their same crap over and over but I am not. I grew up on them, love their games, but even I have a limit.

Takao

Banned
Despera said:
That Time Travelers game or whatever from Level 5. The most interesting upcoming 3DS game for me... But I haven't heard a thing since the game's initial announcement.

It should be further along than the average 3DS game, since it's basically an old PSP project they had.

Madao

i guess Castlevania is next in the pile of dead series.

i'm bitter because of no AAI2 in the west (was it ever confirmed it wasn't coming to both America and Europe? i would import it from europe if it gets localized there)

daffy

Banned
Key2001 said:
Not sure how big Digimon is in Japan, but I could see how a Digimon game(at least this one in particular in Japan) could be more viable than Megaman Legends.

Hasn't the majority Digimon game been released outside of Japan(at least I believe a much better track record than 'Tales of' games? Just by looking at it, this one seems to have a much higher budget than the past Digimon games. Unless it ends up taking up 2 UMDs I wouldn't rule out a release outside of Japan.

It has really sucked to be a fan of Japanese games these past few years. There are still quite a few announced/planned, but as we see here with ML3 that means nothing.
Yeah, hopefully it is localized. Just that being on PSP and releasing in JP in 2012, it doesn't look likely. Although if it is a remake of a Digimon World game (as the RE in the title suggests) it could have a fighting chance.

I'm actually not even that upset about Megaman, surprisingly. Weird feeling considering how much I was anticipating it.

GSR

ShockingAlberto said:
It's a Level 5 game, so I wouldn't expect to see it until it's nearing completion.

On the other hand, it's a Level 5 game, and they do not actually develop games, they just announce them. So who knows.

I trust that it's coming because Layton is a cash cow.

Yeah, I expect we'll hear more about it next month at Level-5's conference, and even more when AA's 10th anniversary hits in October. The game itself will probably be 2012, though.

jay

ShockingAlberto said:
I bought mine literally only for Ace Attorney vs. Layton. Doesn't mean I'm not going to buy other games, though.

Doesn't mean you're going to buy that game, either.

Edit: Oh, you're already discussing if the game is coming out/here. My witty post is ruined.

Key2001

Takao said:
Digimon used to be very popular in Japan, with the TV anime pulling in comparable TV ratings to Pokemon. However, the current series airing on TV right now doesn't seem to be all that popular. But game sales, as well as merch haven't done poorly.

As for the games, I don't believe Scamco has localized a Digimon game since 2007 or 2008. There's at least 2 or 3 DS games they haven't, and won't be releasing here. I can't see the PSP title coming over here unless the platform pulls a Jesus.

Yeah the last one was in 2008, but they have only made two since then. One (2 versions Red/Blue) was released in March this year and the other July of last year. Both were released on the NDS, which doesn't have the advantage of something like the PS Store.

These were both part of the Digimon Story line of games, the new one is part of the Digimon World line of games. I believe every Digimon World game has been released outside of Japan.

I doubt how the PSP sales from now on will be a determining factor(they knew how it was before even starting to work on this game), perhaps the PS Vita will though. If it is released outside of Japan it would likely only be a PSN (and/or PSVita game card) release, which would increase the consumer base to PS Vita owners as well. It seems a lot of Japanese developers have been talking about doing this with the few PSP games that are left.

The game also has a Devil Survivor type look and feel to it, I imagine that alone will help push sales. I probably shouldn't go anymore off topic than this.

Synless

AceBandage said:
Beyond The Labyrinth
Thanks, I gotta right that down and keep an eye on that one. Yeah, this MM cancellation is depressing, I was looking forward to it. Now the only games I'm looking forward to are RE: Revelations, Mario, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, and that 3DS version of Smash Bros.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Time to cough up some money for some exclusives, Nintendo. Things are looking bleak. :(

It's hard for me to like Capcom anymore after all their fuck ups recently. What a piece of shit company, they deserve to crash right into the ground.
*BUYS 5 COPIES OF RE4 HD*

Oh my god if Layton/Phoenix Wright doesn't come out/doesn't get localized I will go fucking crazy. I need that game more than anything else.

EDIT: To be clear I'm excited for a lot of software on the 3DS, but it's still a bummer seeing all these devs cancel or be really apprehensive about the system.

Wallach

Busaiku said:
I don't like you.

What I mean is, if they thought the team was going to get the community so involved at an early stage like this, the higher ups should never have let this go forward. Prototypes getting turned down internally happens a lot. It would have been a lot better for the fans of this series if they never knew this happened, rather than get everyone in the community excited then have the prototype rejected.

So.... Capcom didn't like the sales figures for Mercenaries?

... probably shouldn't have made a crap game, then. I'm willing to bet way more people were excited for MML3 than a spin-off of a RE mini-game.

Way to fail, Capcom.

Sennorin

Banned
@ShockingAlberto: I certainly agree in that Nintendo failed to make the sales transition from NDS to 3DS. The way in which their new handheld seems to have to build up its reputation from the very scratch is totally non-understandable and shouldn´t have been like that. 3DS should have been to NDS what PS2 was to PS1.

But I cannot find much sympathy for third party developers here. The 249 Dollar price is often thrown in as the end all-argument to this debate, but I don´t agree with that. Price is not the 3DS´ big problem. After all, it is steadily selling above 20k each week in Japan. If price was *the* problem, hardware sales would be in a downwards spiral.
What 3DS is missing, is a high quality software portfolio. And that is where this whole debate gets interesting: Nintendo could have had OoT 3D at launch. They could have quickly followed up with StarFox 64 3D and they could have had one more title ready to bridge the fall/christmas timeframe. But they intentionally decided against that, why? To give third parties room for *their* games. What followed was one of the most boring system-launches (even though Ghost Recon was great, but a strategy-game with NDS-graphics isn´t exactly the reason to buy a new system for most), followed up by a lackluster software lineup that even now isn´t shining. Third-parties messed it up.

What *angers* me is how we´re now getting these cancellation news that may have any kind of reasoning, just not one: Nintendo´s fault. They didn´t make a mistake; if anything, they´re consequentially at fault for giving third parties this chance. But now that the situation is what it is, instead of sticking to it, paying back to Nintendo the benevolence they were granted, third parties are on a retreat. They´re leaving a ship they made sink. (Slight hyperbole, 3DS really won´t *sink*, at least for now). We´re often referencing Capcom´s practice of "test games" to see if there is a market. What happens right now is that, without any such test games, they´re leaving the hardware. That is a crappy business culture and shouldn´t go uncalled.

mr_chun said:
And here we go! Nintendo, you sure do know how to encourage the third parties to develop for your system. Yep, you sure do.

Elaborate on how this situation is Nintendo´s fault.

gwarm01

This feels like a grave mistake. What's next, Capcom? Another minigame dressed up as a $40 experience? People would have bought this.

Handhelds market outside of japan is looking shaky due to the advent of smartphones.

The thing with vita is. even if it fails in the west, you can still port the games to ps360. And they will still look acceptable.

Takao

Banned
uchihasasuke said:
i'm bitter because of no AAI2 in the west (was it ever confirmed it wasn't coming to both America and Europe? i would import it from europe if it gets localized there)

This makes me wonder, who doesn't hate Capcom right now? This is the list of people they've pissed off:

1) Megaman fans: Cancelling Megaman Legends 3, Megaman: Universe, and not releasing Megaman Battle Network x Star Force in North America.

2) Resident Evil fans: Outsource latest console game to no-name developer known for developing low rent PSP, and PS3 Socom spinoffs. Releasing a 3DS game that has locked saves, and showed no effort in development.

3) RPG fans: Killing Breath of Fire, and not localizing The Last Ranker.

4) Devil May Cry fans: Well, you should know.

5) Fighting game fans: Milking the genre for all its worth once again despite seeing what happened when they did that in the 90s.

6) Ace Attorney fans: For skipping Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

7) Sen Goku Basara fans: For likely not localizing any future titles.

8) Onimusha fans: This series exists?!

9) Monster Hunter fans: Localization of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and the Poka Poka Aillu Village series? LOL No.

I guess Dead Rising fans are cool with them?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Takao said:
This makes me wonder, who doesn't hate Capcom right now? This is the list of people they've pissed off:

1) Megaman fans: Cancelling Megaman Legends 3, Megaman: Universe, and not releasing Megaman Battle Network x Star Force in North America.

2) Resident Evil fans: Outsource latest console game to no-name developer known for developing low rent PSP, and PS3 Socom spinoffs. Releasing a 3DS game that has locked saves, and showed no effort in development.

3) RPG fans: Killing Breath of Fire, and not localizing The Last Ranker.

4) Devil May Cry fans: Well, you should know.

5) Fighting game fans: Milking the genre for all its worth once again despite seeing what happened when they did that in the 90s.

6) Ace Attorney fans: For skipping Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

7) Sen Goku Basara fans: For likely not localizing any future titles.

8) Onimusha fans: This series exists?!

9) Monster Hunter fans: Localization of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and the Poka Poka Aillu Village series? LOL No.

I guess Dead Rising fans are cool with them?
I would say Frank West's rehash err sequel is definitely milking

Top Bottom