• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Penguin

What's with the sudden hostility and passive aggressiveness from both of you? I don't appreciate the subtle shade throwing.

Ha not throwing shade or being subtle. I think I said after last meet-up we'd try it without alcohol too much for the next one :p

Also not trying to insult or belittle anyone here... to be sure.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm buying shots at the next meetup.

giphy.gif

^LOL

no passive aggressive subtle shade being thrown. nycGAF is great and not coming down on the meetups because i witnessed one guy being irresponsible. sucks that it happened and i know what to avoid next time.

everyone was great. i had a good time made some cool friends. just sharing my personal thoughts. i was there. i walked in and was uncomfortable. next time i want to choose carefully what situation i walk into. i just don't want be around when someone had too much, gets out of hand and won't go home. shit was ridiculous.

thankfully everyone was safe and wise enough not to get associated.

anyways, was responding to Penguin that i don't want to be in a situation like that again. i'm sure it was a fluke and just walked in at the wrong time.

Lulubop

So for idea for next meet-up would be April 15th, Tax Day!

It will be a minor going away event for Makai who is driving out west to find a grocery store... don't ask

Thinking could probably go see Fate of the Furious and then maybe hit up a bar or something.

I know trying to do more than drinking

Oh man, he's leaving that soon?

I'd skip the movie and meet ya'll afterward if.

Two questions:

Anybody know of good spots to pick up cheap used records (vinyl)? I've found a few spots around me in brooklyn but are there any particularly good flea markets, or shops elsewhere? Not really looking for "new records".

You can only enjoy those movies straight of mind!

And... based off our last excursion, I like you folks... but going to a movie with some of you drunk...

WTF happened?

And Makai is leaving NYC?

edit: saw davidwhangchoi's post. People need to know what kind of person they become when drunk if they choose to go out for meet ups and decide to drink to much.

Jhoan

Ha not throwing shade or being subtle. I think I said after last meet-up we'd try it without alcohol too much for the next one :p

Also not trying to insult or belittle anyone here... to be sure.
I'm glad we're having this discussion. I just thought that the shade was being directed at solely at me so I took offense at it. It's all good!
^LOL

no passive aggressive subtle shade being thrown. nycGAF is great and not coming down on the meetups because i witnessed one guy being irresponsible. sucks that it happened and i know what to avoid next time.

everyone was great. i had a good time made some cool friends. just sharing my personal thoughts. i was there. i walked in and was uncomfortable. next time i want to choose carefully what situation i walk into. i just don't want be around when someone had too much, gets out of hand and won't go home. shit was ridiculous.

thankfully everyone was safe and wise enough not to get associated.

anyways, was responding to Penguin that i don't want to be in a situation like that again. i'm sure it was a fluke and just walked in at the wrong time.
After letting it sit for several hours and discussing it with one of the parties of the situation that you encountered and are referrring to, he agrees with you that it was bad timing and expressed regret in being associated with it. In the of the end day, valuable lessons were learned that night reflecting back upon it.

Two questions:

Anybody know of good spots to pick up cheap used records (vinyl)? I've found a few spots around me in brooklyn but are there any particularly good flea markets, or shops elsewhere? Not really looking for "new records".

WTF happened?

And Makai is leaving NYC?

edit: saw davidwhangchoi's post. People need to know what kind of person they become when drunk if they choose to go out for meet ups and decide to drink to much.
For sure! I think some people handle their alcohol better than others. When one person gets really drunk, it becomes a domino effect and drags down those who have less to drink.

That being said, I don't want to derail the thread any further by posting the link again because I feel like enough has been said on this matter unless anyone disagrees. It's a couple of pages back if you look for it with CTRL+F.

Suffice to say, the big announcement from that night was that Makai is taking a road trip out west and moving to Seattle to follow the programming/game programming scene because he feels that it's died down here.

As to your first question, there's some record stores in The Bronx IIRC provided you're willing to travel out there. I think there's one Fordham Road and another in the South Bronx. Then again, it depends on your tastes and what you're looking for. My brother and I found a crate full of old records in front of the McDonalds near me about two years. It's been under my bed dusty as sin. We never really bothered to look up the artists and the name of the songs on YouTube.

yeah, honestly i'm going to pass if it's the same scene as last time. it could've got really bad. thankfully we left and the problem couldn't find us or follow us to our next destination.

i don't want to be around a$$holes or idiots.

Thankfully the rest of the peeps were awesome.
It's amazing the shenanigans I miss by not going to meet ups, which is the exact reason why I opt out of large group settings with people I don't know...

Jhoan

Heads up: The fare hike has gone into effect today and affects a handful of bridges as well. The price of the Unlimited increased and the bonus on fixed amount of pay per ride has decreased.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Fuck the MTA
1b3c147a4b4e6125af7b21eff5216c3f.gif

If it was affecting the base fare, I'd be more pissed off. But I gave up on the unlimited card awhile ago; As of today, it requires about 44 rides to break even. I don't come close to cracking that.

But still, I'd like some kind of explanation as to why the uptown 6 trains are slow af until after they clear GCT.

If it was affecting the base fare, I'd be more pissed off. But I gave up on the unlimited card awhile ago; As of today, it requires about 44 rides to break even. I don't come close to cracking that.

But still, I'd like some kind of explanation as to why the uptown 6 trains are slow af until after they clear GCT.
I take that damn thing pretty much every day of the week since I work in Midtown and do photography events on the weekend.

Penguin

44 rides... so if you work full-time and commute that's what 40 a month....

Just need to use/abuse it 4 more times to break even I guess.

taybul

456 line is just that bad. I read somewhere that this line alone moves more than the 2 US transit systems combined that follow the NYC in terms of daily volume.

If you use the subway to commute to work, it's a no brainer.
If you don't, it's a bad deal in every case I can imagine.

Jhoan

I found Boston's public transportation system to be pretty smooth, on time, and very clean. Plus open ended train cars meant no need to run out of the train at the next stop to get to the car I need. I never had any complaints about it aside from it shutting down at 12:30am as opposed to 2am which which was a travesty.

I'm looking forward to trying out Chicago's public transportation during C2E2 next month. I've heard mixed things about it but if has comfortable seats like Boston's trains and countdown clocks on bus stops and subways, then I'll be right at home. Although I find it rather dumb that it costs 25 cents to use a bus transfer.

xsarien

daedsiluap
456 line is just that bad. I read somewhere that this line alone moves more than the 2 US transit systems combined that follow the NYC in terms of daily volume.

It's only been very recently. Normally it's been going at normal speed. But since Friday? Just crrrraaawwwllliiinnnggg.

Then once it's past Grand Central? Everything's fine.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
So for idea for next meet-up would be April 15th, Tax Day!

It will be a minor going away event for Makai who is driving out west to find a grocery store... don't ask

Thinking could probably go see Fate of the Furious and then maybe hit up a bar or something.

I know trying to do more than drinking

15th is the day before Easter so possibly. I am very hit and miss on these things anyway but I do want to come to one at one point.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Oh I know you were, but actually am naturally curious now

Like in my "adult" life I don't remember the service improving in any noticeable fashion. I use the 3 most days and that's an ancient train car as well so hardly see the new fancy trains either

The only notable improvements you'll see are train station renovations (which is happening in southern Brooklyn), wait time notifications, or working on the 2nd ave line.

I'd assume most of the money keeps getting sucked into just maintaining the system.

Been apartment hunting in Queens and trying to get as close to Manhattan as possible and man I cannot believe how expensive some of these shitty apartments are. It seems like I need to spend at least $2k for a decent 1BR. Feeling kinda dejected :/

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Been apartment hunting in Queens and trying to get as close to Manhattan as possible and man I cannot believe how expensive some of these shitty apartments are. It seems like I need to spend at least $2k for a decent 1BR. Feeling kinda dejected :/

Have you tried looking at Sunnyside yet? I lived in a giant 1BR a few years ago over there for $1200 and it was pretty good with a quick bus ride into Manhattan/Brooklyn and access to the 7. I imagine that price is probably around $1500 now, but still less than $2k.

(Granted I moved to Manhattan when 2 months from lease renewal the ceiling fell and I got mice...but it was really nice for the 10 months prior!)

number47

Oh I know you were, but actually am naturally curious now

Like in my "adult" life I don't remember the service improving in any noticeable fashion. I use the 3 most days and that's an ancient train car as well so hardly see the new fancy trains either
The train arrival signals are nice. The select bus service is better than the trains.which is going to make the second Ave line kinda point less. I don't see a future with the t line.
Would be nice if they did upgrade the 3 line. Maybe extend bedstuy into east new York?

Have you tried looking at Sunnyside yet? I lived in a giant 1BR a few years ago over there for $1200 and it was pretty good with a quick bus ride into Manhattan/Brooklyn and access to the 7. I imagine that price is probably around $1500 now, but still less than $2k.

(Granted I moved to Manhattan when 2 months from lease renewal the ceiling fell and I got mice...but it was really nice for the 10 months prior!)

My family lives there and it's a great neighborhood but it has also gotten a lot more expensive lately. Not as much as Astoria / LIC but pretty pricy.

I love it there but I dont want to be too close to them, you know? It'd be weird lol. I might have to consider Woodside as well. Its really tough to live in a popular neighborhood without roommates.

Pau

I've had to call 911 twice in one week.

The first time we found a guy unconscious in our hallway who wouldn't respond when we tried waking him up.

Today I saw someone on the platform across fall onto the tracks. He seemed like he hurt himself and could only stand on one leg. A woman on the track tried to pull him up. Everyone else on there ignored it. He managed to get out while the train was on my side luckily. (I don't know if she pulled him out or if he used one of those stair things.) I ran to the otherside to meet with the paramedics. Last I saw they were getting a stretcher chair for him.

Still a bit shaken. Particularly by how many people seemed to ignore it. :/

hoggert

I've had to call 911 twice in one week.

The first time we found a guy unconscious in our hallway who wouldn't respond when we tried waking him up.

Today I saw someone on the platform across fall onto the tracks. He seemed like he hurt himself and could only stand on one leg. A woman on the track tried to pull him up. Everyone else on there ignored it. He managed to get out while the train was on my side luckily. (I don't know if she pulled him out or if he used one of those stair things.) I ran to the otherside to meet with the paramedics. Last I saw they were getting a stretcher chair for him.

Still a bit shaken. Particularly by how many people seemed to ignore it. :/

I saw a woman lose her balance checking to see if a train was coming and fall a couple of weeks ago. Two guys immediately helped her up. She was unhurt but the train was like 4 minutes away, got scary as fuck. Hope that help restores your faith in other subway riders a little.

Weirdly enough, it the 30+ years I've lived in NYC I've only called 911 once. I thought there was a drunk banging on the front door to the building every morning but it ended up being a neighbor with untreated PTSD. At 5:00am sharp would walk out of his apartment in a suit then start attacking his door with a hammer.

Pau

I suppose the same reason you didn't immediately get to the other side to help and just watched (yes, I know said you checked with paramedics)
I mean the people on the platform with him.
I doubt any of us on my platform could have made it in time out of the station, across the street, and back down again. In my case, I was the person who called the paramedics. I didn't just watch. :/

shimrra

Jackson Heights has been transforming lately, there are still some parts that are bit sketchy but you can find a decent apartment around there.

Jhoan

I've been volunteering at MoCCA Fest all day today and will be volunteering all weekend at the food court in the afternoon. It's been exhausting but manual labor is fun.

This year's art looks amazing. I believe that it's the artist who did the art for Pretty Deadly. I'll snap a few more pictures before I head out. Otherwise, everything is shaping up nicely at this point. A little rain can't stop people from coming out.

fallengorn

I've been volunteering at MoCCA Fest all day today and will be volunteering all weekend at the food court in the afternoon. It's been exhausting but manual labor is fun.

This year's art looks amazing. I believe that it's the artist who did the art for Pretty Deadly. I'll snap a few more pictures before I head out. Otherwise, everything is shaping up nicely at this point. A little rain can't stop people from coming out.
You know if the Every Day Originals booth is there this year?

So do you use blinds or hang up curtains in your apartments?

I found a new apartment but theres no current solution for either. Just windows. Two of the windows have radiators in front of them and I've been trying to find a good solution that will work for all rooms.

I wanted to hang curtains but I dont know if full length curtains will look good with a radiator. I also cant find good examples of short curtains that end right above the radiator as well. Sigh. What a dumb thing to be worked up about.

Jackson Heights has been transforming lately, there are still some parts that are bit sketchy but you can find a decent apartment around there.

I love JH but its just too far. I remember when you could get a 1BR in JH under 1k. Good times

Peltz

So do you use blinds or hang up curtains in your apartments?

I found a new apartment but theres no current solution for either. Just windows. Two of the windows have radiators in front of them and I've been trying to find a good solution that will work for all rooms.

I wanted to hang curtains but I dont know if full length curtains will look good with a radiator. I also cant find good examples of short curtains that end right above the radiator as well. Sigh. What a dumb thing to be worked up about.

I love JH but its just too far. I remember when you could get a 1BR in JH under 1k. Good times

If you're renting, curtains. Don't waste money on blinds. They definitely make short curtains.

I'd only spend on blinds if I owned the place.

Jhoan

You know if the Every Day Originals booth is there this year?

Hopefully you found the booth. The Director of the Society of Illustrators said that attendance record was already broken on Saturday alone hence why it was so crowded. It looks like they might just have to scout a bigger venue for next year at the rate it's going.

What did you end up buying that I saw you walking around with a poster tube? I'm going to visit a few artists and get some stuff today. I'm also hoping to get a decent deal on The March trilogy. If you have any recommendations on some artists to check out, let me know.

fallengorn

Hopefully you found the booth. The Director of the Society of Illustrators said that attendance record was already broken on Saturday alone hence why it was so crowded. It looks like they might just have to scout a bigger venue for next year at the rate it's going.

What did you end up buying that I saw you walking around with a poster tube? I'm going to visit a few artists and get some stuff today. I'm also hoping to get a decent deal on The March trilogy. If you have any recommendations on some artists to check out, let me know.

Yeah... I was pretty wiped out afterwards. They definitely need to find new digs.

The poster tube was for The Thing print from Greg Ruth.

uzqeHr2.jpg

As for artists to check out, I'd definitely get sketches from David Lloyd and Becky Cloonan. Ridiculously cheap. Greg Ruth, obviously. He's got a portfolio of originals that are awesome. Can't not recommend Michel Fiffe. Copra is one of the best comics out. Simon Arizpe is selling this "pop-up" paper sculpture. That's pretty neat.

Jhoan

Yeah... I was pretty wiped out afterwards. They definitely need to find new digs.

The poster tube was for The Thing print from Greg Ruth.

uzqeHr2.jpg

As for artists to check out, I'd definitely get sketches from David Lloyd and Becky Cloonan. Ridiculously cheap. Greg Ruth, obviously. He's got a portfolio of originals that are awesome. Can't not recommend Michel Fiffe. Copra is one of the best comics out. Simon Arizpe is selling this "pop-up" paper sculpture. That's pretty neat.
Nice! A friend of mines bought a Steven Universe poster for 25 bucks. I told her to make damn sure that she takes good care of it paying that much.

Making a note of them and will check them out. I just realized that I have a graphic novel by Greg Ruth called Indeh: A Story of the Apache Wars that I got for free at NYCC. I'm going to take it with me to get it signed.

I saw the pop-up book dude when it was closing down. I know exactly where he's at. I'm going to take a swag bag I have lying around in my room. I hate these types of events because it's hard to exercise self-control with money and I have C2E2 to worry about in a few weeks.xD

Top Bottom