• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Valhelm

contribute something
10504o.jpg

With a half-pint of Guinness in my left hand and a half-finished copy of Ulysses on my desk, I'm ready for St. Paddy's Day. Like a good Irish American I've spent the morning reminiscing about places I've never been to and time periods I don't understand. John Ford's The Quiet Man is playing on my TV, and my youtube history is permanently marked by several hours of the Wolfe Tones and the Dubliners. Tonight I'll be meeting some friends with even less Irish heritage than I, to take on the town and sample drinks that we think are probably from Ireland. Erin go bragh!

This thread is for the discussion of flatcaps, ashplants, clotted cream, claddagh rings, crystal glasses, emerald grasses, the blood of Cuchulain and the mud of Killarney. How do you connect to your own Irish heritage? How will you celebrate that heritage tonight? What kind of Irish community exists in your area? Who even was Michael Collins?

Galloglass_n_Kern-2.jpg
1v2Todc.png

Anybody with any Irish heritage, no matter how infinitesimal, is welcome here. Honorary Irishmen (Jews, black people, Italians, Poles, and the Welsh) are also invited. English oppressors can feck off.

glow

Banned
I'm mostly Irish American.

My great uncle was a general in a branch of the IRA during the civil war and war for independence then was a Sinn Fein (and later Fianna Fáil) politician. Our extended clan is pretty well-known in areas around Westport and Co Mayo. When I went to get my first drivers license from the DMV, the guy that did my eye exam saw my name he said in a heavy Irish accent "Ah, you're clearly Irish. And I bet your family is from Mayo!" I thought that was kinda cool. My grandparents on my father's side (both immigrants from Mayo and Cork) used to sponsor Irish immigrants to Chicago so I spent a lot of time around micks talking with accents I couldn't understand.

I play in a band that mostly plays traditional Irish music. We've got 2 shows at bars tonight. A 2 hour set and a 3 hour set. Sigh. I love playing music but not 5 hours in 1 night.

I probably won't be wearing green today besides a t-shirt and I won't be drinking too much because I have to drive all over the city.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I would love for a good Cú Chulainn film. Wasn't Fassbender supposed to be working on one?

kris.

Banned
family on my mom's side is from County Cork. that's about all i know tbh. that was a couple generations ago.

Full Irish here and have lived here my whole life. Always fun when Paddy's day rolls around, the floats at the local parades tend to be good buzz.

A small bit is somewhere in my bloodline, and I'm married to a gal with plenty of it. Of course this means my kids have some of it in them too.

I've traveled out of the US 4 times. Once to Niagara Falls, and three times to Ireland. And I'm going to go back, too. I've done the touristy stuff, but my time in the more rural areas were the ones I think of most fondly.

WedgeX

Banned
Mostly Irish American here. Still have family who live surrounded by a bog in co. Galway. I'll carry on my tradition of complaining about monarchies and the British tonight. Which is really not so different from most other days.

I'm half english half irish and live in Ireland. Come at me bro.

There's a Morrisey song out there for you, I believe.

My Filipino wife is at home getting the corn beef and cabbage ready! At least I'll have some Guiness available to wash down this likely disaster!

Xe4

Banned
I'm 1/16th Irish American. Maybe. My grandparents on my mother's side never really liked discussing exactly how Irish they were. So somewhere between 1/16th and 1/4th.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm jealous my Grandmother was invited to the Easter Rising centennial event on March 27th, so she'll be flying back from that. Only ever was in Ireland when I was 14 with her for a couple weeks. Back in the day she and her siblings were also invited to Phoenix Park to meet with de Velera for tea back when he was President in like 1970 or so because of her family's connection with him and the independence movement.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Due to poor record keeping, I'm not entirely sure if my surname was Scottish (as my Father told me) or Irish (Name is more in-common to Ireland). I do know that whenever they came to America, they had the "Mac" or "Mc" cut off it.

Not wearing Green, though.

My great grandparents came here from Ireland, I'm a quarter if that matters. I don't make a deal out of it.

We get Mexican food every year on St. Patrick's Day since all the Irish places are packed.

Then we go to an Irish place on Cinco de Mayo.

I'm from Dublin. I don't listen to diddly aye traditional music, read traditional Irish books or any of that. Paddy's day or not.

Tonight Im gonna drink beers, smoke spliffs and bump rowdy Yankee hip hop music.

Top Bottom