• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard's Next MMO (Titan) Will Feature In-Game Advertising/Product Placement

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought this was interesting because there are only a certain number of settings you are likely to have real life advertisements in.

Blizzard said:
Franchise Development Producer
Next-Gen MMO

-Work with major consumer brands to facilitate product placement and licensing within the world of Blizzard Entertainment's next-gen MMO that enhances the gameplay experience.
-Direct strategic analysis of market trends and competition.
Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=10000B3

Emitan

AA1CN.jpg

I still assume this is a Starcraft based MMO but I could be way off. If it was they could do some kind of futuristic Pepsi ad in the game...would be very odd though.

Khezu

Anarchy online had product placement and it was a future MMO.

Anyway isn't titan supposed to be like some kinda sims/matrix/fps thing?

wwm0nkey

I am fine with this as long as the logos are changed to reflect a future environment, its not hard to think coke will be around in 500 years but the logo sure as hell isnt staying the same.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, what?

Some people take this quote rather literally.

MTV said:
He thought the secret to success was making a game that was both tailored to hardcore players and accessible to a broad audience. "Once people figure that out, your game world is going to attract a lot of people," he explained. "But a lot of it has to do with art style, too. Are you going for realism or an inviting world? And once you learn those lessons, I think any type of [intellectual property] can survive. I'm shocked we haven't seen more sci-fi, near-future, post-apocalyptic, historical MMOs; there's all these completely different fantasy settings beyond the traditional high fantasy ones."

So is Blizzard's new MMO going to be sci-fi, near-future, post-apocalyptic or historical? "All of those combined!" he said, laughing.
Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008...t-game-director-on-new-mmo-and-console-games/

Emitan

What if I buy Pizza Hut pizza and can scan a QR code so my character can eat Pizza Hut with me?

This post brought to you by Pepsi.

bengraven

More realistic city basically confirmed then.

They already said they want to improve the "social" side to the MMO - that plus using ads as immersion tells me it be a modern/post modern city with billboards. I'm cool with that. As I said, ads can add to the immersion.

Hell, this was the first mod I added to San Andreas:

1235238110_3432screen01.jpg

wonder if it'll be like the EQ2 pizza ordering

I remember back when they mocked that in an April Fools.

Collect 5 pizza huts new cheesy breadsticks and disperse them among your friends!

Kill mutated Kentucky Fried Chickens to retrieve 10 Boneless Buffalo Strips (TM).

edit: beaten

Don't show up to tomorrow's raid unless you've farmed up at least 10 Pepsi BLUEs. We need them for the Cheeto's Red Hot burn phase.

And these will never get old.

Darkkn

I think Titan is going to have MTs, Product Placement and auction house with real money transactions.
Auction house thing is in D3 propably just so that they can train their customers to accept the idea, so that they can use it on Titan to make real bank. Just like they indroduced MT items in wow for charity at first so that people wouldn't rage so much. How can you be opposed to charity!? :)

This is going to be deady combination, since blizzard is the best at manipulating people with shinies and experience bars.

I'm not getting good vibes from Blizzard.. Seems that they have become pretty cynical money making focused joint. I don't want to see Blizzard becoming more like Zynga, i hope i'm wrong.

I won't be surprised if 90% of the games that release next gen have product placement. And it won't matter if its a high fantasy, post apocalyptic or modern realistic setting.

Coolwhip

Banned
After how hard they let Wow slip. Introduced pratically buying gold. Real money auction house in D3.. I can't say I'm interested in Titan. This just makes it worse.

bizatch

I think Titan is going to have MTs, Product Placement and auction house with real money transactions.
Auction house thing is in D3 propably just so that they can train their customers to accept the idea, so that they can use it on Titan to make real bank. Just like they indroduced MT items in wow for charity at first so that people wouldn't rage so much. How can you be opposed to charity!? :)

This is going to be deady combination, since blizzard is the best at manipulating people with shinies and experience bars.

I'm not getting good vibes from Blizzard.. Seems that they have become pretty cynical money making focused joint. I don't want to see Blizzard becoming more like Zynga, i hope i'm wrong.

If they make a revolutionary MMO that is f2p and has those, I wouldnt mind.

Isn't World of Warcraft in many (psychological) ways, very similar to Zynga's products, and in fact prepared the way for Zynga?

Wallach

After how hard they let Wow slip. Introduced pratically buying gold. Real money auction house in D3.. I can't say I'm interested in Titan. This just makes it worse.

What do you mean introduced practically buying gold? I haven't been following WoW closely for a while.

Top Bottom