• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition |OT| Delays, patches, and bugs on bugs

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I am ready for an adventure! Maybe? Never played a D&D based game before.

Prioritize int and con, make sure your dex is at least 9 as well, though higher is better.

You have way too much wisdom (which does nothing for mages) and could lower your strength by 2 or 3 easily.

Some people were asking for impressions in the other thread so here are mine:

Game runs flawlessly on my machine (though there have been compatibility issues mentioned w/ crashes on launch, problems with the OpenGL support or lack thereof w/ Intel integrated graphics chips, and so forth).

Runs full screen or windowed, supports widescreen.

There's a new pretty good (optional) tutorial that will run you through game mechanics, concepts, and ideas.

I am really excited by the new NPCs that feel slotted in very naturally.

Black Pits is a completely standalone "adventure" that you launch from a separate menu on the title screen.

I know there have been complaints that many of the improvements found in this release can be accomplished w/ mods and fan compilations, but you know what? I don't want to fuck with any of that.

This, I installed, it worked, and it looked good "out of the box". Furthermore, it's supported by a development team that is still working on ironing out any bugs or issues that pop up.

If you've never played Baldur's Gate before, and don't want to deal with fiddling with mods, I easily recommend this version over just the GOG releases.

Thanks for this review. I had both this and the GOG version through a faulty memory and a too quick 'buy now' click. I think I'll go with Beam dog this time around (it's my first time playing BG).

Anyone here have the enhanced edition and GOG version? If so is the EE worth the extra money or is the GOG version with mods just as good?

Minsc

Gold Member
Dang. Desktop version it is.

I dunno, if you want to stick with the original characters because you've never played the game, the iPad / Android versions will be $10 vs the current $20 price tag of the PC version (I don't give it too long until it's on sale for $5 on either platform). The IAPs just evens the price out to a total of $20 like on the desktop.

Anyone here have the enhanced edition and GOG version? If so is the EE worth the extra money or is the GOG version with mods just as good?

GOG version with mods will be just as good, you give up very little (zooming and window re-sizing from the EE are really just nice gimmicks), especially if you haven't played the game. Once the bugs are worked out, this should be a lot more accessible than the BG1 without mods though. If you're not in a rush to play, the GOG version will probably go on sale soon too, whenever they start their holiday sale, probably a week or two.

Emitan

Prioritize int and con, make sure your dex is at least 9 as well, though higher is better.

You have way too much wisdom (which does nothing for mages) and could lower your strength by 2 or 3 easily.

How is this?

untitled2o8of1.png

Moatman

Dang. Desktop version it is.

The difference is the ipad version is $9.99 instead of $19.99, the in-app purchases are the extra stuff they added to the enhanced edition, which I believe puts it up to the full pc price or you can just stick with the original for the $10.

Edit: Beaten to the description, I should read more carefully:(

Llyranor

If you want to be a powergaming min-max'er, you can probably put WIS/CHA down to minimum (3?). High STR is useful even for a non-warrior for carry weight. I forget how much high DEX impacts armor class, but it probably helps.

As a mage, you could probably roll a few times (or 30!) and then boost all your physical traits, and max INT. I forget if CHA even impacts the game, maybe it does.

Roll and reroll! If you get a good roll, you can 'store' it, and keep rolling. You can recall to get it back if you can't find any of the future rolls being as good.

This is strictly speaking as a min-max'er. By all means, as long as you have high INT and decent CON, you should be fine to play.

Ledsen

Is the new content is actually good? I was really sceptic, but maybe i'll chime in if new adventures are interesting.

And i didn't knew Beamdog confirmed that they have a deal for getting both of the games done:

http://twitter.com/TrentOster/status/274303397719597056

He confirms BG2EE (which i'm much, much more interested about) will be coming out.

What? This whole time, I was convinced this already included all games and expansions...

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to be a powergaming min-max'er, you can probably put WIS/CHA down to minimum (3?). High STR is useful even for a non-warrior for carry weight. I forget how much high DEX impacts armor class, but it probably helps.

As a mage, you could probably roll a few times (or 30!) and then boost all your physical traits, and max INT. I forget if CHA even impacts the game, maybe it does.

Roll and reroll! If you get a good roll, you can 'store' it, and keep rolling. You can recall to get it back if you can't find any of the future rolls being as good.

This is strictly speaking as a min-max'er. By all means, as long as you have high INT and decent CON, you should be fine to play.

CHA only impacts store prices. Also as a mage you don't need more than 16 CON as only fighter types get a bonus for higher than 16. DEX get's you -1 to Armor Class (lower is better) for each point (-1 at 15, -4 at 18) and a bonus to ranged weapon THAC0 (how easily you can hit others) of -1 at 16, -2 at 17 or 18 and -3 at 19 (hurray for being an elf!). WIS and CHA can be taken down to 8 with no penalty.

If you wanted to min-max with that roll, you could go with

STR 9
DEX 19
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 8
CHA 8

Or you could keep rolling. That's only a 78 total. You should be able to get a high 80 or low 90 total without too much trouble so you could boost your STR as well.

To get the most out of that high dex, go with sling instead of quarterstaff. You won't do a lot of damage, but it'll make sure you don't accidentally run into melee and get squished.

The other piece of advice is to get rid of either Chromatic Orb or Magic Missile and grab Sleep instead. Chromatic Orb and Magic Missile will often fail to kill even low level monsters in one shot. Sleep on the other hand can incapacitate entire groups of enemies making your attacks (almost?) always hit. I'd probably ditch Chromatic Orb.

This ended up being longer than I intended it to be. >_>

That's good.

Ah, I said screw it and decided to purchase the Enhanced Edition. It's only $20 and seems money better spent than the Omega dlc.

Going to roll two characters, one with the new npcs, and the other with the npcs I've always beaten Baldur's Gate with (Viconia, Edwin, Jaheira, Khalid, and Imoen).

Giolon

I can't remember, but does CHA affect dialogs? Or are they only used for spells for Paladin/Sorcerer?

IIRC, Charisma is a modifier on how people react to you (along with things like Party Reputation), which can provide different dialogue or better prices.

And you get a ring that pushes your Charisma to 18 right after the starting dungeon of BGII, so it's definitely the least important stat to worry about.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My favorite part of BG1 and BG2 was spending 45 minutes rerolling stats until I make all my important stats 17+ and make the 1-2 stats that didn't matter (generally wisdom and cha) like 9-10.

Perkel

Banned
My favorite part of BG1 and BG2 was spending 45 minutes rerolling stats until I make all my important stats 17+ and make the 1-2 stats that didn't matter (generally wisdom and cha) like 9-10.

I rise you. Hour of that and when you rolled best you decide to play with just next random values.

scumbag brain

Giolon

reputation and prices yes but i never had any different dialog.

There are characters who won't join you if the combination of your Charisma and Reputation are too low (both affect the "Reaction" roll that is made to determine whether they will join you - Xan and supposedly Minsc are examples of this), and I've found FAQ references to at least 1 instance of a person who will give you an item if her Reaction roll to you is high enough. I call both of these things generically "dialog" differences, though maybe everyone else doesn't.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I can't remember, but does CHA affect dialogs? Or are they only used for spells for Paladin/Sorcerer?

Paladins use Wisdom. Sorcerers don't get bonus spells from abilities. I can't remember if this was by design or if it was a bug that had been fixed at some point.

I think sorcerers get their spells from charisma? The higher their charisma, the more spells they can cast.

Anyway, played a bit of the Black Pit and the actual game and...

I wish the resources they used for the Black Pit were put into the game (More side-quests) or TBP was actually integrated into the main game. I don't like the fact its completely separated from the main experience and seems like a waste. It would have been cool if it was kind of like the Mind Flayer Hive from BG2. Of course, things would need to be tweaked.

Another thing, I applaud the fact the new npcs can be talked to and have full voice acting, but it makes me look at the rest of the cast (Minsc, Imoen, etc) and go... "fuck, why don't they have any dialogue at all?"

I wouldn't have mind if Neera (Only came across her so far) and the others had their voice commands voice acted and everything else was just text, because then they might have added actual dialogue for the rest of the cast. Everyone else feels so dead now with Neera around.

I like the soundtrack, especially the song that plays when going into combat. I'm indifferent about the new cinematics, and haven't run into any bugs yet either.

Taruranto

Damn, i want to use Minsc, but there is no place in my party. :( The only characters i can ditch are the new ones, but i want to try them. I can't let Jaheira and Khalid leave because i need a healer and Dynaheir doesn't provide.

coopolon

I haven't played it yet, but I think it's worth pointing out the improvements that are listed don't even approach the improvements that are accomplished with mods.

Modding BG1 goes far beyond the widescreen patch and Tutu. There are AI mods, rule tweaks, dialogue mods to flesh out the characters, new quests, new characters, ability to customize how BG1 plays in the BG2 engine, etc. etc. etc.

Overhaul has continually talked up support for mods and a relationship with the modding community. I haven't seen any concrete evidence of this, but if it's all true and the modding community really works at this game, BG:EE could obviously become something pretty spectacular.

Not sure when I'll be buying it but I would really like to hear anyone's experience with modding it, what mods have been incorporated, etc.!

This has potential, but it needs patches to fix the problems people are having and yeah... mods...

The Enhanced Edition did make me want to re-install the originals w/ mods though, so maybe I'll play this once for the new content and do that until then.

Giolon

A patch just went up with the info:

November 30th 2012

New patch with fixes for Unicode characters in paths, mouse cursors not showing up, crash reporting.

Vamphuntr

I didn't plan on buying this since I still have my original copy and GOG version but I got it as a gift from a friend since he wanted to play the game in multiplayer with me.

Half the time I try to boot the game I get a white screen with only the music playing while my friend can get in the game but his whole playing area is pink and you can't click anywhere.

When I'm able to play, it seems I run into some weird glitches. I got the NPC is busy thing, sometimes I open a door and the door stay closed but I can still go inside and the THACO displayed in the inventory screen is different from the one on my character sheet.

Hopefully they patch it soon.

stabwound

Neo Member
If you've never played this game, I'd strongly recommend purchasing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GoodOldGames and using the BGTrilogy mod among others. If you are at all computer literate and don't mind a little tinkering, it's a much better experience than this for the same price since you get Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 as well, plus you can combine them into one huge game with the BGT mod.

I wouldn't recommend this "Enhanced" version to anyone.

Serra

If you've never played this game, I'd strongly recommend purchasing Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 from GoodOldGames and using the BGTrilogy mod among others. If you are at all computer literate and don't mind a little tinkering, it's a much better experience than this for the same price since you get Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 as well, plus you can combine them into one huge game with the BGT mod.

I wouldn't recommend this "Enhanced" version to anyone.

I agree completely.

Top Bottom