• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So I started playing this game in the past week and have got some enjoyment out of it. But one thing that seems weird is the card system, how is that balanced for people just starting out and players who've collected a ton of cards? I can't imagine Dota not letting u get some good items until you've put 100 hours in. Obviously maybe it's not that big of a deal since I'm new to the game I don't know much about the balance

Well PvP at the moment is Unranked, Rank hasn't come out yet
Co-Op is where I play the most, I still havent spent 1 rep point (about to hit 950,000 rep) and just accumulated cards/packs through Hero leveling up rewards, community challenge, and weekly challenges

Most Starter and Intermediate Decks help level up you Heroes so you can unlock the rewards earmarked per level, eventually reaching level 3 with a Hero earns you pack of cards, so invest some time into different Heroes and level them up and net yourself packs
Problem is getting in earlier for this game (longevity wise) does give you an advantage to custom deck building

ZeroCoin

Pre-patch notes video posted detailing high level changes. Gadget gets a longer range on her ult and order affinity added. Kallari gets more damage on her abilities and intellect affinity added. Armor pen is getting changes, though they aren't detailed. 4 new skins have been added. Hopefully the patch notes drop soon with more details.

EDIT: Release Notes Added

People that just started playing the game will have trouble building an effective deck, that's for damn sure.

Yeah more time played gives you a better chance to get the cards that you want. Still doesn't guarantee anything though. Hopefully card crafting shows up soon because it's still difficult getting a full collection. I just got my second thunder cleaver, an epic rarity card, while I'm still missing commons and uncommons.

I like the look of the new patch. Minions prioritising towers instead of other minions is a big deal.

I hate playing Mondays because I know what's coming tomorrow but can't enjoy it.

Mindlog

Yay, there was a minor strike in the weekly bounty pack. I finally have 3 minor strikes. Time to rework all of my physical decks.

Also Shockwave in tomorrow's weekly could be interesting.

GraveRobberX

Yay, there was a minor strike in the weekly bounty pack. I finally have 3 minor strikes. Time to rework all of my physical decks.

Also Shockwave in tomorrow's weekly could be interesting.

So mad you at you getting Minor cards *shakes fist*

I have roughly 7 Bounty Stalker (6 point card)
I need Minor Cast and Kinetic, Epic please!

Would trade in 5 of those for something else

Mindlog

Understandable.
So many builds I come across start with an item and 3 minor strikes. I can finally not waste 20 minutes trying to find a workaround lol.

New hero teaser!
Crm9DpdWIAEktmR.jpg

Perhaps this is going to be Murdock's partner. Looks like something an energy ADC would use. We really need some assassins.

Honestly thought that new Rampage skin was a new character for a second.
Probably going to be my first use of coins.

Anticol

Banned
I started playing last week and I really like this game, yes I know we need more heroes and for new people it is hard to understand the card system, it was for me, but once you become familiar with it the game is great.

I think the game still needs more support characters, really curious about the hero that comes, is it next week?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This patch is looking HEARTY.

Loving the new Rampage skin, and the new hero reveal looks to be another ADC which is pretty much all I play, so color me super hyped :)

So close to Sparrow master skin to go with my TB master, 3000xp to go!

GraveRobberX

New patch is up!

Jesus 2.160GB...

Putting in good stuff!

Also the hint of new char has that Pistol and a SMG
Looks fun from the weapons

GraveRobberX

HOLY FUCK

DOUBLE XP WEEK!, LEVEL THEM HEROES B O Y S !

Time to burn the midnight oil and get everyone boosted to at least level 6-7

I'm 50% already there

Woo-Hoo!

Oh shit the weekly challenge has a fuck up I think
They adjusted the Minions kill chalenge from 350 to 400
I completed it already but now I'm 50 away cause its this weeks challenge and it adjusted
Says I get another Fury card
I'll report back!

They changed the Heroes page in the Profile tab, before it was 5 Heroes per line, now its stretched out to 7 per row, 3 rows, before was 5 per row and 5 rows in total, looks way better

TheRed

Oh my god will Paragon actually have it's own Monkey King hero?

Don't do it, Epic Games. Make it an April Fools joke.
Every game will have a Monkey King lol
New modes sound weird but could be interesting. New map I didn't expect, maybe it's just a big update to the current one?

GraveRobberX

Hmm...

The Double XP is not in effect yet...
Also the weekly challenge is glitched and stuck ;( No extra freebee card

GraveRobberX

Double XP is live, just got 4500xp for 25minutes in co-op

Gonna really abuse this lol

Mindlog

1v1 me bro. Is that a thing in MOBAs?

"Kawng, Vamp, Mudang, FallenAngel" I can definitely see at least two of those being assassins.

I wonder how well Satori Cloak and Greystone will work.

TheRed

Sad my team surrendered when we could've came back. People quit so fast in this by going AFK, leaving or surrendering. It's pretty annoying I can never have a nice full competitive game because someone is always giving up. Either on my team or their team.

TheRed

Another game and my team surrenders. We were just losing 18-12 in kills and behind on towers. But damn I was just finishing upgrading cards and team has to go and surrender already. What a waste of time. No one wants to play unless they get an easy win.

charsace

Sad my team surrendered when we could've came back. People quit so fast in this by going AFK, leaving or surrendering. It's pretty annoying I can never have a nice full competitive game because someone is always giving up. Either on my team or their team.

I play a lot and don't vote to surrender unless we have 1 inhib left and are getting blown out.

What is your unreal name? PM me so I can add you.

They even have The Fey, holy shit!

Just fought her...

Also they gave this weird jumping bullshit to All AI, its annoying

You seem to move faster jumping. I do it all the time.

BHK3

Banned
Has the latest updates cleaned up the UI yet? Still really hate it back when I tried it a few months ago.

New maps and team sizes! Yes! If this comes soon I'll be ecstatic. I love all the map and mode variety in Smite. I didn't expect to get any of that in Paragon for like a year so if it's coming soon that's fucking huge.

Edit: referring to the data mine

GraveRobberX

Has the latest updates cleaned up the UI yet? Still really hate it back when I tried it a few months ago.

Yeah they spiffied it up

They added this new looking icon for Card Packs with this update:
hC6Nijn.jpg

Heroes got their profile page adjusted:
nQn7K9O.jpg

Got a nice deck made for The Fey:
sxr9ukq.jpg

Earning that XP in chunks! due to double xp, was hoping they would do the rep too like last time

TheRed

I play a lot and don't vote to surrender unless we have 1 inhib left and are getting blown out.

What is your unreal name? PM me so I can add you.

You seem to move faster jumping. I do it all the time.
Sounds good, my unreal name is the same as here just lowercase. thered

Just know I've only been playing for a week so still learning the heroes and card stuff but my dota experience at least lets me play decently.

Also does anyone else have trouble getting this to lock at 60 fps? I've tried vsync on, off , Nvidia control panel vsync, Riva tuner limit. Nothing works I always get drops to 40s and 50s. It's still playable but just doesn't look right. The game just doesn't use much of my gpu power, my 1080 will be at 36% usage 1974 mHz and I'd wish it'd just have better usage and give me a solid 60 fps. I tried rolling back drivers from the newest ones I was on to something older and it still acts the same.

GraveRobberX

Goddamn Co-op is annoying now

The minions run straight at the tower
Even if you destroy enemy minion set, your guys will keep hacking away at tower

Sometimes they destroy it while I'm at base grabbing cards!

AI jump has led to many escapes, so stupid just jumping up and down like crazy

Most matches are ending way too quick, I really wanna see how my Kallari looks with her deck
15 minute fast matches, towers drop way too quick

Highest I hit was 48CXP, seriously no one knows how to farm in Paragon, longer match more xp
More chance to put in cards and see if they fit with you

I wish there was a Dummy mode, where you can see how much damage you do by using certain cards, try to find right card formula of which to use first in early, then mid, then late

Co-op I use as practice and level my Heroes, I set a list of which cards to use up first due to situatikns

charsace

People just give up and check of matches after the first 10 minutes, its annoying. Its like half the guys that play this want to run out at the start and get kills instead of working the lanes.

GraveRobberX

People just give up and check of matches after the first 10 minutes, its annoying. Its like half the guys that play this want to run out at the start and get kills instead of working the lanes.

That's why I stay away from PvP
Just playing co-op, you see the nature of players of trying to steal your kills, doing things that you know a real player would never do that the AI who has certain paths set in stone that they think that is how to fight them

That play style transfers over to PvP and when it fails hard, "Surrender" option is priority
Then you get complaints on the blog/forum of how cards sucks or such and such player is OP

I have no clue how other MOBA's are, is there stuff you have to unlock via RNG?

The card system that this game uses is the equivalent to Dota's (and almost all of the other games) items that are purchasable via the currency that you get from grinding creeps/killing heros/etc. You can simply look at the full list of the items, study it and then decide on a build that suits you.

These items are accessible for everyone from the very beginning without the need to level grind or any of that BS. Paragon tries to hide them behind a grind-fest and some sort of RNG drop system, even if you payed for reputation boosts/coins you'll still need to grind a lot AND be lucky.

It's stupid.

Goddamn Co-op is annoying now

The minions run straight at the tower
Even if you destroy enemy minion set, your guys will keep hacking away at tower

Sometimes they destroy it while I'm at base grabbing cards!

AI jump has led to many escapes, so stupid just jumping up and down like crazy

Most matches are ending way too quick, I really wanna see how my Kallari looks with her deck
15 minute fast matches, towers drop way too quick

Highest I hit was 48CXP, seriously no one knows how to farm in Paragon, longer match more xp
More chance to put in cards and see if they fit with you

I wish there was a Dummy mode, where you can see how much damage you do by using certain cards, try to find right card formula of which to use first in early, then mid, then late

Co-op I use as practice and level my Heroes, I set a list of which cards to use up first due to situatikns

15 minute co-op games are annoying? Hell, I'm lucky to get co-op games that last less than 20 minutes. Most mine end at about 20-35 minutes. I've got character levels and reputation to grind; I want to bang these co-op games out!

I do echo the sentiment of a "practice/dummy" mode. Just make a carbon copy of Smite's practice mode; have a little fountain where you level up your character level and card power, and just have a bunch of hubs where you fight jungle minions, lane minions and a single AI bot. Solo vs AI takes too long; most of those games take an hour or more, I find.

GraveRobberX

15 minute co-op games are annoying? Hell, I'm lucky to get co-op games that last less than 20 minutes. Most mine end at about 20-35 minutes. I've got character levels and reputation to grind; I want to bang these co-op games out!.

Thing was at least in Co-op I could get to 60cxp with slow and steady play with others farming too

I would see if my deck and which cards were better to start out with, then for mid, then for late

Now people destroy towers way too quickly

I shit you not 1 game not even 10 minutes in, left inhib gone, most of us were like 18-21 in CXP
Like level 7-9

So fucking annoying

At least before you had AI to feast on for extra Amber, but now games end way too quick

I don't want to go to PvP and test my 60cxp full deck
That's the point, they should've left co-op alone and for PvP added this escalation

Really want to practice my decks
Along with it earn xp for Hero leveling and rep

I think 40-42 minute is the max payout by the game for xp/rep
I mean its double xp week, quick games I get due to faster re-queue but you're not learning jack shit!

I got like 3 cards into Gadget before game ended, I couldn't tell if the way I used the cards in the right order matter cause game is over

GraveRobberX

Finally got 60 CXP Co-Op, all it took was 1 leaver and 1 AFK...

Got Gadget deck sorted out to my liking
Ya3y0Oa.jpg

Perfect amount of XP/Rep! (No bonus used)
D1bhlcs.jpg

From the reddit datamine thread

Next hero is: Tacticia.
Ability Information (multiple points may be one ability)
Primary: Shooting
Claymore
Conduit (place A and B / something with teleport)
Drone
"EruptionBeam"
Mana Bomb (Place / Throw it?)
Tesla Conduit (Throw?; Is the actual portal?)
Ult:
Reveal Enemies??
"Lock" (Like Murdock?)

Some Information on other upcoming Heroes:

Kwang:

Can cast a sword
Casted sword is placed in world and can be picked up
Seems to be somekind of electric hero (lightstrike, lightarmor)

Vamp:

Can throw a knife (gets some kind of stack on them)
Has an ability called BlinkStrike with a teleport (maybe Kallari's old ult?)
Gets lifestealbuff after critical wounding

Mudang:

Can Cast wolves
Wolves can circling something
(Not much until now since he is pretty new)

Fallen Angel:

Has some kind of Darkmode to activate
One ability is called "Ascend" another "Chastise"

Crunch:

Seems to be some kind of boxing legend (lol)
One Ability is called Rocketfist
His ultimate will amped him up
He has another ability called Uppercut
He seems to have a hook aswell

Ice:

One ability seems to be "decoy death" (thats awesome)
He can freeze something in front of him (its going to melt aswell)
His ult is an AOE cast and it freezes

Final tease

TheRed

Really enjoying this game after I got my performance issues sorted out, also got it to render at higher than 1080p which is nice. Created my first deck and am owning people as Narbash who's become my favorite. His thunk ability is surprisingly strong and so many people understimate him in fights. I just went 7-0-10 with him before they gave up.

darkwing

She's an anti caster burst mage. She puts down a drone that drains enemy mana and attacks when people use abilities, and her ult bursts for damage based on enemy's missing mana. I can't wait to play her.

Also why doesn't GAF care about this game :(:(:(

wow Gideon and Iggy are going to cry

Top Bottom