• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

GameSeeker

I would be excited if YouTube actually had good quality 30fps videos. Their 30fps videos are so low bitrate they make every single game look much worse than it actually does on your TV. YouTube's 60fps videos will likely be of equally poor quality.

Gamersyde is still king until YouTube can actually demonstrate high bitrate to go with their 30/60fps.

Good.

It would probably be a huge bother, but DF should reup the more popular of the comparisons they have conducted since they stopped using their old player.

Pachinko

Seems like many have been using the 2X speed option to hack their way to 60 fps within the html5 version of youtubes player. I'm guessing a few engineers at youtube probably looked at that and some of the twitch streams and figured it would be easy enough to implement.

My guess is they'll try and have the 3rd hobbit movie trailer show up on youtube in 48fps 3D (if you have a monitor that can support it). That will showcase it.

Somehow though, I think the average compression rate will be pretty bad - youtube at 1080p looks about on par with HD on netflix (super HD being one step better). So , sure you'll see 60 FPS so games will look more accurate but it'll probably be capped at 720p and each individual frame will have the bit rate of a 480p 30 fps video frame.

I just don't have hopes, I want to be surprised though, it sure would be nice if youtubers like maximillion_dood who also posts here , could post fighting game videos at their actual native framerate. Shitty bit rate or no , they'd look far better at 60 fps then at 30 I think.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Glad I got 1080p60 recording hardware which will take advantage of this.

Hope it releases soon. Do some Last of Us Remastered videos. :x

ChipotIe

Banned
tutorial ?

Do you have a use for it? It doesn't magically add frames to videos. It changes the playback. So if you have videos that are for example natively 60fps or higher but are playing back at 30fps then you can use this to play them at their appropriate fps.

If not all you'd get out of it is a fast forward button.

Hexa

They still look so shitty though.
I've noticed if you upscale the videos to 4k before uploading then at 4k they look decent.

breakfuss

I'd imagine most people who make video game related content on youtube capture at 30fps since that until up to this point that was what was supported. Obviously this is an assumption that can be totally wrong but I'd imagine most of those people's capture cards/devices aren't able to capture 60fps footage. Personally I know mine doesn't but that's because it's old.
I don't know. They probably don't.

That's a fair assumption :p

Oh, okay. that makes sense. Just shows how little I know about this stuff. In any event I'll make sure to keep that in mind when I start looking for an external capture device. Thanks.

malyce

What's the point if it's gonna buffer every 5 seconds unless you live in an area where Google Fiber is available.

Hindl

I would be excited if YouTube actually had good quality 30fps videos. Their 30fps videos are so low bitrate they make every single game look much worse than it actually does on your TV. YouTube's 60fps videos will likely be of equally poor quality.

Gamersyde is still king until YouTube can actually demonstrate high bitrate to go with their 30/60fps.

Agreed. I saw the thread and was really excited, then I remembered how terrible most games look on youtube

Do you have a use for it? It doesn't magically add frames to videos. It change the playback. So if you have videos that are for example natively 60fps or higher but are playing back at 30fps then you can use this to play them at their appropriate fps.

If not all you'd get out of it is a fast forward button.

ah ok never mind

The Jason

Great news. I'm loving the new theater mode too.

But they really need to add a High Bit-rate (HBR) option to HD videos

2562405-6086807432-Happe.gif

Itshappening

Ateron

Now that they have the biggest platform available to market their games on board,maybe more devs will start to target 60 fps now? Many people prefer CoD even though they didn't know why. Even DICE saw this and made BF4 60fps (well, they tried..).

They wont

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Hopefully this ends up vindicating the developers who made the decision to go with 60fps. Your average YouTube viewer will be able to easily compare videos of competing games and see how much smoother 60fps is.

Momentary

Banned
I can't wait for this whole 24FPS cinematic bullshit to finally die in all forms. The only reason people think it "looks" right is because that's how they've always had movies portrayed to them. Hopefully the toddlers now will grow up and look back at crap framerate in all forms and wonder what the hell we were thinking.

I wonder if people lost their minds when films stopped being black and white. I wonder if their were groups of people yapping their mouths off about films not being cinematic anymore because of technicolor.

Top Bottom