• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Compilation of Hilarious Animations in Mass Effect Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.

eizarus

Banned
Oh my god! I thought the "Kill. Me. Now." thing was just a joke caption someone added to that Salarian gif. Then I saw it in the video and paused to read the description to see if this was some parody video. Wow, Bioware, wow.... I'm buying this (probably pre-owned but definitely when it's around £15). Then again, I don't know if I can handle the cringe.

They ridin' dirty in Andromeda.

sKyJ8x0.gif

I'm not a human after all...some would say I'm the reverse

Ryzaki009

When you're defending the dad against the Kett you have to command your two squadmates to the two flanks, and it's pretty clear throughout that you're the one in charge.

As for those with military experience I was talking about both the Kett and your squadmates. You've got Cora who, as I said above, you're literally commanding; you at the very least go toe-to-toe with her in general combat as well. The Kett are clearly a militarized race, yet because the game needed to introduce them and because Ryder & Co so easily dispatched of them they don't feel like a threat at all.

You agreed with Ralemont that she hadn't seen military combat yet she actually has?

But even then, I think Bioware made a wrong decision in saying you're an inexperienced beginner out of your depth but not actually changing the core gameplay loop to accomodate that. The Prologue is essentially 1-to-1 like Mass Effect 1's prologue.

That...was a tutorial and you tell them to go there (you handle flank a and X handles flank B) and they handle the rest. You really consider that equal to what Shepard was doing?

Yes the PC is capable of fighting that's been the case for every BW protagonist ever. No BW protagonist no matter how little sense it makes is incapable of fighting alongside (if not better than) people that should realistically be their superior in combat.

I agreed about her being young and untried as a commander. Not that she was incapable in combat.

They're inexperienced in leading. If they were inexperienced in combat they wouldn't have been chosen for the ground team.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah, she's so goddamn goofy it's great. I was planning on creating a custom monstrosity, but I think default FemRyder will be more fun.

Same. I find her much more appealing now although not for the reasons they had intended.

Plum

That...was a tutorial and you tell them to go there (you handle flank a and X handles flank B) and they handle the rest. You really consider that equal to what Shepard was doing?

Yes the PC is capable of fighting that's been the case for every BW protagonist ever. No BW protagonist no matter how little sense it makes is incapable of fighting alongside (if not better than) people that should realistically be their superior in combat.

I agreed about her being young and untried as a commander. Not that she was incapable in combat.

They're experienced in leading. If they were inexperienced in combat they wouldn't have been chosen for the ground team.

Why put a commanding tutorial when you're not the commander? Throughout the entire first mission I didn't get any idea that she was just "part of the team." Until her dad reappeared she was the one taking charge, making decisions, etc because that's just what Mass Effect is. The prologue needed to have someone else lead you through it, not have you lead someone through it.

So Ryder does have some combat experience, fine, but that doesn't change my feeling that the Ryder in the story and the Ryder in the general RPG gameplay are incongruous. It also feels unneeded; you already have the whole "exploring a new galaxy" vibe to put your character out of their depth, you don't need the "inexperienced kid getting used to chosen one role" trope as well. All it leads to is cutscenes like the one posted which has a newly-appointed leader acting like an awkward teen.

ironcreed

Banned
So is default fem Ryder slowly starting to become so unintentionally derpy that it is adorable and you can't help but to ultimately like her? I actually can sort of see that, now that a few of you have mentioned it. Same goes for Peebee.

I was really looking forward to this game, but Im so disappointed with the ugly faces and poor animations, I think I'll hold off on buying it. I just hope ME3 multi player stays populated.

J_Viper

So is default fem Ryder slowly starting to become so unintentionally derpy that it is adorable and you can't help but to ultimately like her? I actually can sort of see that, now that a few of you have mentioned it. Same goes for Peebee.

Watching /v fall in love with Sara after months of pure hate has been hysterical

This game just keeps on giving

Ryzaki009

Why put a commanding tutorial when you're not the commander? Throughout the entire first mission I didn't get any idea that she was just "part of the team." Until her dad reappeared she was the one taking charge, making decisions, etc because that's just what Mass Effect is. The prologue needed to have someone else lead you through it, not have you lead someone through it.

So Ryder does have some combat experience, fine, but that doesn't change my feeling that the Ryder in the story and the Ryder in the general RPG gameplay are incongruous. It also feels unneeded; you already have the whole "exploring a new galaxy" vibe to put your character out of their depth, you don't need the "inexperienced kid getting used to chosen one role" trope as well. All it leads to is cutscenes like the one posted which has a newly-appointed leader acting like an awkward teen.

Because you know this is a game and you do command your companions in battle. Not to mention the whole point was her father was trying to groom her to take his role anyway along with for most of the prologue you're separated from most of your squad and communications are cut so...like what you wanted to take orders from Liam?

Though they're not incongruous. Being capable in combat (or even giving commands in combat especially since Ryder has a limited control of her companions than Shep does) isn't the same as being a good leader outside of it (which the game makes a point of them having to learn because they have big shoes to fill). Like I actually like this because I do like that trope.

Haunted

So what exactly happened? Talent drain at Bioware? Andromeda made by a B-team while the Mass Effect main team works on 4? Game stuck in development hell for a while as that anonymous source alluded to?

A-V-B

So what exactly happened? Talent drain at Bioware? Andromeda made by a B-team while the Mass Effect main team works on 4? Game stuck in development hell for a while as that anonymous source alluded to?

Yes, yes (but new IP) and possibly yes.

I honestly wonder how some of you guys managed to play through the trilogy, when you are so bothered by the writing in a lighthearted scene like that romance clip.

OmegaX0

Peebee? Nah, she's definitely intentionally goofy and over the top. The terrible name doesn't help.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not there with Peebee but yeah default FemRyder's awkwardness has won me over.

ironcreed

Banned
I honestly wonder how some of you guys managed to play through the trilogy, when you are so bothered by the writing in a lighthearted scene like that romance clip.

Yeah, I honestly thought that was fine and no worse than the flirting in the trilogy at all. We have seen plenty of bad, but that came off as just more Mass Effect to me. Which is good to see at this point.

A-V-B

Must be some reason.

*coughcough*
consistentartdirectiontolerablenimationsawesomecharacterswereallycareaboutprettygreatwritingwithrareexceptions
*coughcough*

Sorry, that was a weird cough.

Anyway, it remains to be seen how the new game is halfway through or by the end, but it... doesn't seem super promising. Maybe just okay? Who knows.

Slaythe

1) Standards have evolved in 10 years

2) I played through ME2 in hype of this game, and nothing out of the main characters came close to the permanent cringe fest we see in Andromeda

Crayon

Video gaming icon of the 8th console generation.

Hell yeah, she's so goddamn goofy it's great. I was planning on creating a custom monstrosity, but I think default FemRyder will be more fun.

I'm right there with both of you. I'm starting to really like FemRyder. Even if they clean them up a bit, I hope they keep some of her awkward expressions.

Same. I find her much more appealing now although not for the reasons they had intended.

She's taken on this unintentional character of a super awkward girl. Maybe kinda faded. I think she's cooler and more endearing than Nathan Drake or new Lara Croft. I hope she has a long career in reaction gifs and memes.

Plum

Because you know this is a game and you do command your companions in battle. Not to mention the whole point was her father was trying to groom her to take his role anyway along with for most of the prologue you're separated from most of your squad and communications are cut so...like what you wanted to take orders from Liam?

Though they're not incongruous. Being capable in combat (or even giving commands in combat especially since Ryder has a limited control of her companions than Shep does) isn't the same as being a good leader outside of it (which the game makes a point of them having to learn because they have big shoes to fill). Like I actually like this because I do like that trope.

I wasn't talking about the mission itself, more what I think it should have been. They should have had Cora lead you through the level or, better yet, your dad so you could actually bond with him before he croaks. Have the commanding part take place after the dad dies, make it so that you actually lose a battle against the Kett (or have the Kett be the ones to kill the dad). It's entirely told and not shown and points to general poor writing in my eyes.

Ryzaki009

I wasn't talking about the mission itself, more what I think it should have been. They should have had Cora lead you through the level or, better yet, your dad so you could actually bond with him before he croaks. Have the commanding part take place after the dad dies, make it so that you actually lose a battle against the Kett (or have the Kett be the ones to kill the dad). It's entirely told and not shown and points to general poor writing in my eyes.

So you land with Cora instead of Liam?

The Kett killing the father would contradict that whole superhuman thing they have going on. Alec is supposed to be a one man army after all.

As for being entirely told and not shown I didn't really that impression. It showed itself just fine to me when you got to the Nexus.

That said poor writing I will agree but again that's not some new to BW games so I'm willing to roll with it.

If that "romance scene" with fem ryder is supposed to be meta or self-aware, then the entire art direction, animation, and line delivery completely fail to bringing that pathos or feeling across. I was either cringing or bewildered at the way the words were lining up with animations and how the words were spoken by the actors. Laughing at, not with.

Did they bill this game at some point as being a mass effect parody?

Yeah, I honestly thought that was fine and no worse than the flirting in the trilogy at all. We have seen plenty of bad, but that came off as just more Mass Effect to me. Which is good to see at this point.
Yeah, that felt really Mass Effect-y to me which is a good thing. I mean, what did people expect form romances in a Mass Effect game? Mass Effect never had epic romances. This is not Nier Automata guys, this is Mass Effect.

Must be some reason.

*coughcough*
consistentartdirectiontolerablenimationsawesomecharacterswereallycareaboutprettygreatwritingwithrareexceptions
*coughcough*

Sorry, that was a weird cough.

Anyway, it remains to be seen how the new game is halfway through or by the end, but it... doesn't seem super promising. Maybe just okay? Who knows.
And besides bad animations and some glitches, we don't know if MEA will be able to reach those highs of previous entries or not. Glitches and bad animations in this game are undeniable and there are some bad writings that all of our tired faces can agree on. But it feels like for some reason people are hell bent on making everything about this game look bad.

1) Standards have evolved in 10 years

2) I played through ME2 in hype of this game, and nothing out of the main characters came close to the permanent cringe fest we see in Andromeda
1) Writing standards for romance scenes in an RPG where you have tons of options to choose from? What game changed these standards and please don't say Witcher, cause I love that game but it's really not the same. (you only have two romance options and your main character is predetermined)

2) Writing in Andromeda is a permanent cringe fest? Well, I assume that you've already finished the game then?

This whole writing off the game entirely based on a few gifs and bad lines of first 6-7 hours, in a 40-50 hours game, is really not that sensible. Instead of saying how bad an unreleased game will be, I think we should wait for it to actually release first, so people could play and see what it has to offer.

cripterion

I hadn't seen that reworked launch trailer. The footage coupled with the music, man.. I haven't laughed like this in years. I need some time to recover lol
I swear the best part is the Krogan headbutt, that had me in tears.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Looks stunning. Yes they make a weird face, but still a more human weird face. You can probably take a frame from a lot of games where they make a stupid face. But Andromeda has a larger issue that while even looking at the youtube videos, they look like lifeless dolls.

Kill me now Salarian is right.

It's a freeze frame grab from a reaction, where I'd be making the exact same face if I was there lol.

"It seems like he has it under contro...."

*Insert pic

"Had, had it under control."

Love it.

Plum

So you land with Cora instead of Liam?

The Kett killing the father would contradict that whole superhuman thing they have going on. Alec is supposed to be a one man army after all.

As for being entirely told and not shown I didn't really that impression. It showed itself just fine to me when you got to the Nexus.

Yeah, you land with Cora/your dad instead of Liam. If you want to put your character in the place of a Rookie don't have their first interactions on a combat mission be with someone lower than them, it just ruins the whole theme to me.

The Kett killing the father would establish them as an actual threat, I don't care whether he's a "one man army" or not. It'd be like, in Star Wars, Ben Kenobi wasn't killed by Vader but instead was killed by some random bit of debris when escaping the Death Star.

The opening doesn't give me hope that later portions of the game will make me me feel any different about the story. I don't care whether the game has justifications for poor story choices, they're still poor story choices to me.

1) Writing standards for romance scenes in an RPG where you have tons of options to choose from? What game changed these standards and please don't say Witcher, cause I love that game but it's really not the same. (you only have two romance options and your main character is predetermined)

You cad. Geralt's unrequited love for Kira is the real deal.

Anyway, I don't expect W3 level character interactions and writing from Bioware in Andromeda, because they've never hit that level, even at their best. But what I've seen of Andromeda so far is a real step down, even for modern Bioware.

Jocund

Yeah, you land with Cora/your dad instead of Liam. If you want to put your character in the place of a Rookie don't have their first interactions on a combat mission be with someone lower than them, it just ruins the whole theme to me.

Your Cora thing is a solid suggestion. I like that they want to play up the whole "Ryders are green!" thing, but if that's BioWare's desire, it's completely at odds with their execution. Going by the first few missions, at least. Like, if you're going to tell us the Ryder siblings are pretty much doughy military kids who only hardly know their way around a gun, then let us fuckin' play that role. Don't push all this Holy Pathfinder shit on us when we're supposed to buy our avatars as rookies.

Ryzaki009

The Kett killing the father would establish them as an actual threat, I don't care whether he's a "one man army" or not. It'd be like, in Star Wars, Ben Kenobi wasn't killed by Vader but instead was killed by some random bit of debris when escaping the Death Star.

The opening doesn't give me hope that later portions of the game will make me me feel any different about the story. I don't care whether the game has justifications for poor story choices, they're still poor story choices to me.

Ugh no thanks. I hate being ordered around unless I'm supposed to remain second in command. The father would be fine (especially since you'd do pretty much nothing in combat) but Cora? No thanks. That'd just make her stepping down so easily afterwards stupid. I had the same issue with Cassandra in DAI.

The Kett being a threat can be established in different ways. (And is like them wiping out the previous outposts).

Well that's fair enough it'd probably be best for you to wait for the reviews to come out so you can read spoilers and see if it's something you'd like.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
? The whole point of Ryder's character is that they're a 20 something year old untried untested newb hitting their stride. They're not supposed to be Shepard nor are they supposed to be a military commander. And they're not particularly mature either.

So why *mild spoilers*
isn't Cora in charge? If they are so immature and untested, why would any sane person go along with Alec Ryder essentially pulling nepotism to skip over his true second in command? No rational person would put the lives of over 100,000 people in the hands of "untried, untested" 22 year old newbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom