• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S4 |OT| The Final Season - Saturdays 9/8c on AMC

big ander

As strained as several relationships already are so soon into the season, I'm still hoping this is somewhat optimistic in the wrap-up. Have the core 4 back on the same team one last time (or maybe 3, if Gordon dies and that brings them together). Comet and Rover combined would be a formidable site

Also, did I miss something or are they leaving out Gordon's whole brain trauma from the past seasons? Seems like he's almost better now...

Yeah, they said it was a neurological disorder that manifested itself through stress, but it could be managed. He said in the premiere that he was exercising and staying fit to keep himself in order. And that's it, but it may come up again later.

From what I recall Gordon has toxic encephalopathy due to exposure to lead solder. He can probably manage and mitigate the side effects with a healthy lifestyle and stress management, but it's going to put him down eventually.

I have a feeling that it hasn't been brought up to try and make the audience forget about it, and then when it comes back into the picture it's going to be a huge deal, like he'll die or be severely disabled. Don't want it to happen, but I too found it strange that it's barely been brought up this season.

Last episode was great. I loved the death metal scene.

Personally for me this ep was a bit of a filler category. Never could stand Cameron and always when they try to show that she could turn a corner and don't be an asshat of a person she again does something where i would slap her silly. I get her motivation in this ep and why she did what she did but for still its like she has not learned a thing about herself and her stupid impulsive decissions over all the years / seasons.

KingKong

Cam is the worst. It feels like she's been doing nothing but pouting and ruining other peoples lives for the last 2 seasons

big ander

Gordon's condition has been brought up a decent amount—Joe and Cam talk about it during their day-long phone call (which, what an incredible scene).

I love Cam. I get why she's frustrating. Her actions are short-sighted. Joe's right that she needs to move on from Pilgrim and find the next thing, that she can't just withdraw because eventually she'll get restless (and do something like save Rover). But I think she's growing and can still find balance, and a way to move forward with Joe and everybody without burning bridges.

mm04

Cameron will redeem herself eventually with Joe and Gordon...right? At least I'm hoping so. Anyway, still enjoying it and I'll be sad to see the show go. This type of show does need a conclusion. so I'm grateful we're going to see one.

Cameron's impulsiveness is so irritating. if she wanted to help Boz, get him a job at Comet instead of screwing Comet over. Everyone has grown over the course of the series except for her.

I read Cameron as suffering from depression. I see a lot of myself in her. Her lack of "growth" is definitely a feature, not a bug I think. I mean I get it, it can be frustrating to see. But I feel for her.

BFIB

It's almost tragic watching these two groups knowing they're both about to get ambushed by Yahoo / Google

edit:
why cam?

Yep, the show has set up the fact that when these 4 minds work together, nothing can stop them, because they all bring something unique to the table. Take that away, and its a lot of self-doubt, self destructiveness, and a hate to see others do well. We all knew as soon as Cameron bought that land and trailer, her and Joe were going to be in trouble.

I'm not sure where they are taking this series on its finale, but I do hope they slow down on the constant jumps.

nampad

Love this show but also FUCKING HATE how shitty/stupid/irrational the characters are.

First Gordon telling Donna about Joe's idea even though he knows that Donna is a vulture and now that Cam thing?
Guess Cam has to always act like a stupid brat, first ruining the browser thing for Caltech and now Comet? Being happy for a bit just isn't enough. Heck, she could have easily worked at Comet if she is feeling left out but instead she is helping Donna, whom she despises.
There are different ways to help Boss.

Hoped that the Joe/Cam thing would work out but instead we are getting the same shit as usual.

big ander

The show is good precisely because the characters act "irrationally." They're emphatically human and we see the little betrayals and moments of kindness and perceived slights that shape their relationships over time.

I loved the beat where Hayley stood up for herself after winning the contest at work and they watched what she wanted to.

While the irrational part of the characters can be irritating, it is (as stated above) what makes the show so amazing and compelling. These feel like real, flawed people that you do care about.

I don't even get the irrational complaint. You want characters in fiction to behave like robots? It's not like they're constantly doing the stupidest shit possible for no reason or anything - that's a complaint I can get behind (sup Game of Thrones s7).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They turned the most likeable character into a robot. And I hate this show for it.

RIP Donna - Best characters 3/4 seasons.

I think Donna's character arc is believable given how she was portrayed since the beginning and how she developed since S1 through to S3. Its of course sad to see her turning into a much colder coroporate power player type of person but given where she came from and what she experienced in the past seasons its entirely believable that she would go this route. Still sad because its literally the person who had the most heart that turns the coldest in the end. I still hope that there is some sort of turn around for her by the finale so that she will not go out this way.

Camerons portrayal on the other hand may be as intended and i also see what they want to show with her however its continously infuriating to watch her mainly because she is the one character who in my opinion has had the least amount of character progression throughout the series. She is and always was a restless, lost, irrational, stubborn, impulsive, self destructive person no matter what was going on in her life or who she was with. She always finds a way for herself to torpedo her relationships or potential personal or professional accomplishments no matter what.

I get that she is portrayed as this on purpose yet the amount of fuckery she brings to the table season in and season out while everyone has had some sort of character progression is infuriating to say the least.

I have no problem with Donna being a high powered executive. She labored for years in the background, supporting all those around her and getting little to no reward, compared to the rest of the HACF crew. Yes, she has had to become hardened, but this it part of being a successful women in the 80's-90's business world. She is sacrificing a lot and still fighting to keep her position. More power to her!

I'm on Team : Donna, Crush Your Enemies!

big ander

^ agreed. Joe's arc over season 3, especially towards the end, and into season 4 has been about him genuinely growing--both as a human more able to process his emotions and respond to others needs, and from an ideas man into someone with actual computer science knowledge--and having to convince everyone it's not just another calculated reinvention. Another part of why that phone call scene was so good, through his and cam's conversation we got to hear him be vulnerable and sensitive, so his mellowing out seems like the real deal.

jond76

Banned
Finally got around to catching up on this season. Such a good show. Cameron really fucked up.

I fear for Gordon's health.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The short scene from Sneakers at the beginning of the episode is making me want to watch it again.

Great episode. Start off going "ffs Cam" and then by the end of it I was like "awww Cam". I loved how both she and Joe bought a new wok (same one!) immediately, such a lovely touch. If Cam can stop sabotaging... everything, really, she and him are made for each other. I'm still holding out hope for a reconciliation between Cam and Donna as well.

mm04

Great episode. Start off going "ffs Cam" and then by the end of it I was like "awww Cam". I loved how both she and Joe bought a new wok (same one!) immediately, such a lovely touch. If Cam can stop sabotaging... everything, really, she and him are made for each other. I'm still holding out hope for a reconciliation between Cam and Donna as well.

Agreed, re: Cam. I thought it was interesting that Donna also was the one to discover the secrets and design behind Cam's game as well. That was a nice scene.

So many heart breaking moments. Boz's desperation, his falling, Donna's discoveries about Boz and Cam! Gordon is so happy as a laid back leader, but I too am worried about his illness coming back. Could his burning of his daily logs mean things will go out of control again?

Halfway through the season and I don't want it to end.

big ander

HACF always kills it with the musical montages, donna playing pilgrim to PJ Harvey was another great one.

I really liked that one—I've liked this whole season but this was the one that felt like things are starting to coalesce to set up an amazing final run. Fantastically directed too, So Yong Kim's look for the show was really different. more handheld but with striking off-balance frames.

Just caught up with the latest episode. Am I the only one that thinks the health problems, stress and depression with Bosworth are just a distraction from the writers?

I'm willing to bet it's Gordon that won't make it through the season, given this episode revealed he's under a lot of stress, his condition is back and he's ignoring it, and he's about to shack up with My Girl (the most ominous sign of all).

As much as I love this show, Cameron’s decision to screw Joe over and help Donna – who she clearly loathes – merely because she felt briefly marginalized came off as weak.

Also, Donna is rapidly approaching the point of no return as a character whose likability is going to be entirely unsalvageable. As it is, going up against her own daughter is about as callous as it gets – even in business – and her nasty response to Cameron upon discovering she wrote the code was extra shitty when you consider that code is the only reason Donna still has a viable business venture.

And Joanie is annoying as hell. Somebody really should sit her down and explain to her that just because you’re a teenager doesn’t mean you have to be an aloof, relentlessly sarcastic jackass.

Still a great show though.

I have no problem with Donna being a high powered executive. She labored for years in the background, supporting all those around her and getting little to no reward, compared to the rest of the HACF crew. Yes, she has had to become hardened, but this it part of being a successful women in the 80's-90's business world. She is sacrificing a lot and still fighting to keep her position. More power to her!

I'm on Team : Donna, Crush Your Enemies!

Well, that would include her daughter then. :(

As much as I love this show, Cameron’s decision to screw Joe over and help Donna – who she clearly loathes – merely because she felt briefly marginalized came off as weak.

That's not why she did it. Various reasons. John is her friend/father figure. To see if she still could. Because her game dev career blew up in her face and she needed some kind of validation that she still had skills.

Also Joanie is cool

blanky

I love these characters so much, it'll be bittersweet when this show ends.

I do think that this last episode gave Donna's arc a lot of much needed depth. Curious where it'll all be in the end though. It feels real in a way that a finale can never really be that, because it's not like they're all going to die.

Another beautiful episode and god I'm gonna miss this show. This is the closest any show has come to Mad Men in terms of its layering of theme and character building, how the personal informs the professional and vice versa.

Cameron seeing that fansite dedicated to her was so awesome. Haley's optimism over the internet and everyone being able to be their true selves... ouch. What a double-edged sword that turned out to be. Donna's drunken repetition of her "you're so fearless" speech, perhaps one of the most quietly heartbreaking moments of the show (as was Gordon throwing Joe's considerate advice back in his face). Donna and Cameron ALMOST reconnected, but the moment passed, and probably will never come back, sadly. I really feel for Donna at this point, but she did kind of make her own bed here.

Top Bottom