• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you know how to handwrite (cursive) in English? Use it often?

frontovik

Banned
Cursive_All.png

I was taught handwriting during elementary school, and made sporadic use of it for some essay writing during high school. However, I much prefer printing as it's much neater.

How about you GAF?

Umbooki

Kinda sorta. My elementary school teachers pressured us into writing cursive, so my handwriting is some strange cursive/print mashup. Looks better than the chicken scratch other adults put on paper, though.

I know cursive but I have never used it outside when I had to learn it in grade school.

Edit: I guess my signature is in cursive, but it's devolved into a scribble at this point.

Sarye

I use it if I want to be fancy like writing in a card. It’s a skill I can see disappear but I think it’s nice to know.

old

Learned it in catholic school because "this is how adults write and you'll use it everyday as an adult."

Could still do it but haven't used it since 7th grade. Hold on. My signature is cursive. I guess technically I use it every time I sign a receipt.

I do, and its mostly useless as a skill.

It is, however, useful a a mental conditioning exercise for young students, and support continued training of it in elementary schools. (But I also respect there are other priorities in education these days that need to be accounted for too).

sflufan

Banned
Whenever I hand write something I ALWAYS write in cursive.

It's simply faster and more elegant than inefficient, pedestrian printing.

we learned cursive because it was one of the lies about college that was taught to us at a young age

I know how to do it still, will sometimes do it when writing but its pretty ugly. my handwriting always sucked though

Nah, I think we were taught it one year in elementary school and never actually used it after that.

Even my signature is just a scribble at this point.

I can still write my name in cursive, but little else.

My signature is based on a cursive rendering of my name but is far more stylized (and illegible) at this point.

mhayes86

Yes, and I don't use it. I haven't been required to write in cursive since elementary school, but my writing has transformed into a sort of print and cursive hybrid for some letters.

KarmaCow

I use a bastardized shitty version for taking quick notes but otherwise I have never really used it or even seen it used. I never used the actual proper version outside of the times I was learning it in school.

Oh yeah, totally. I learned it in 2nd grade and still use it when making notes. Although when just writing normally, my handwriting is a bizarre combo of script and print. I just like how my "g"s turn out more in script.

Yeah, my casual writing style is an odd mix of manuscript and cursive bunched in a way that I think only my brain exclusively deems reasonable.

CSX

Same situation as op except both my print and cursive is chicken scratch lol.

I actually remember failing a few of those "Practice _ in cursive" assignments in elementary. After elementary I never used cursvive till college where sometimes I had to copy down a pledge in cursive promising to not cheat or share questions and answers on an exam. Oh boy, I forgotten how to write a few capital letters at that point lol.

My handwriting is a mix/match of standard and cursive. It just ends up being whichever is the quickest way to write the letter legibly.
Also, Z makes no sense in cursive.

I don't blame my teachers for making us learn it though. There was no way they'd know we wouldn't use it as an adult. That standard started dying in the 90s.

cameron

Was also taught in elementary school. Used it for class notes up until around middle school.

Then I went with semi short hand illegible scribbles that's closer to block print. Way faster. That's still how I write now.

Pesmerga00

Yes. It was drilled into us in Elementary School. For the reason that you would need it in collage. Get to collage and professors would only accept typed assignments.

Xe4

Banned
I can read it and stumble my way through it. I almost never use it though, aside from my signature. Pretty useless skill to teach people, IMO. Learning something like shorthand would be far more helpful.

mike6467

I used to use cursive in my hand written personal letters, but even that went out the window because I didn't use it enough to keep the muscle memory.

Then I only used it in my signature.

Then I stopped taking care when writing my signature.

Now my signature is a few well defined/identifiable peaks and valleys that no longer resemble any written language.

I've tested myself and I can still do it, but it takes ages to produce something worthwhile. I'm a big fountain pen user too, and apparently people think that means I have good handwriting. Nope, I just like the smoother tactile response.

Acorn

Huh, thought this was the default way of writing. We got taught to only write that way from Primary 3 onwards, so like 7 or 8 years old.

Yes. I still write in cursive and when I write notes for others to read I have a horribly evolved form of cursive and print because I have noticed that people are having harder and harder times reading cursive.

Writing is a dying form and my stubbornness knows no bounds. I still carry a small notebook and fountain pen to jot things down.

I can but it looks dreadful. I'm actually super jealous of of my mother as she has written exclusively in cursive her entire life and it looks absolutely beautiful.

If I write something for myself I always write in cursive. If I want someone to be able to decipher my handwriting then cursive is a big no no.

I'm kinda surprised that this is even a question to be honest, I thought everyone was taught cursive in school but I guess not. Maybe it depends on the country.

televator

It used to be my primary writing style but as I grew older it became clear that it was not practical for work purposes if everyone needs to squint their eyes and ask someone else if they can read it.

Africanus

I learned it in elementary school, don’t remember the upper case letters, was lied to in middle school that I would need to use it in high school and college afterwards, and never used it after that.

I only use it for signatures.

ag-my001

Computers hadn't become ubiquitous yet, so high school essays were either typed or written in cursive (in pen of course).

The funniest bit from the last few years was the SAT requiring the test takers to copy an Honor Pledge in cursive. Probably threw many students into a panic. It's been changed very recently to "in your own hand".

Fury451

Banned
I know how to do it, but I don't do it often. It's definitely faster, but the kind of work I do the writing needs to be completely legible, so I can never really do it because of that.

Top Bottom