• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Youse Guys" a bad phrase?

Brakke

Banned
“You guys” is acceptable but I don’t like. The gender thing doesn’t super matter but it’s not ideal.

I made the switch to y’all, personally. It’s great in writing because it allows for the championship contraction, “y’all’ll”.

Nafai1123

Banned
Woman can choose to be offended by it or not. Ultimately that is their choice.

Personally, I think there are much larger gender issues going on in our society right now. The fact is our language used to be much more gendered than it is today.

I kind of see it as similar to actor vs actress. Nowadays actress is frowned upon and actor has become gender neutral even though it was historically male-specific.

We have lots of male-oriented words/phrases that are gender neutral now. Freshman/grandfathered in/mankind/humanity/etc. Do I wish these words were more gender-neutral? Of course, but they aren't. Maybe someday we will have replacements, but for the time being I'd rather see meaningful gender-neutrality within our society instead of simply within our language. Equal pay, womens rights over their bodies, etc are much more important issues.

Toparaman

Banned
I've wondered about this for years.

guys = group of guys or guys and girls
girls = group of exclusively girls

other languages have similar setups, spanish does this also.

‘man' also refers to the humans in general.

What if the "girls" are grown women? Seems even riskier than just saying "guys", imo. And as a life-long Californian, it would sound really weird if I said "gals" (too southern). And "you ladies" sounds kind of flirty. "Y'all" sounds like I'm trying to be black or southern.

pigeon

Banned
So your point isn't that you're right or that others are wrong, your point is "Well, it makes you think, don't it?"

This is a pretty terrible response.

What, exactly, would it mean to be right or wrong about this topic? Language is descriptive. There's no golden document somewhere that states explicitly whether it's appropriate to use the male plural to refer to a group containing women, there's only common practice and how people respond to that common practice.

This is a pretty terrible response.

What, exactly, would it mean to be right or wrong about this topic? Language is descriptive. There's no golden document somewhere that states explicitly [...]

So it's "a pretty terrible response" because you're a descriptivist.
I'm a prescriptivist, so I disagree.

When I worked at Disney World one of my coworkers said "you guys" when addressing a crowd of ~170 people and a woman had a fucking meltdown about it in front of everybody. After that we had to say "folks" and if a manager caught you saying "you guys" you'd get an earful. I mean, I get it, I guess. But that's kinda crazy.

Shadio

Ok and the collinsdictionary is the absolute authority on this? Your argument is quite flimsy. Again, what are some other terms or phrases that are gender neutral that sway heavily into the male, female, or other category? The ones I can think of are male oriented.

Collins Dictionary isn't claiming to be an authority on anything. Dictionaries simply describe how words are being used, they're not rule books. The fact that defintion made it into the dictionary means it is used in that way, as me and many other people can attest to.

That's just how language evolves. If enough people are using the phrase in a gender neutral way, then that becomes one of its meanings.

Voidguts

never insinuate that someone may be in possession of some foul testicles

i'm from memphis so y'all already know

When I worked at Disney World one of my coworkers said "you guys" when addressing a crowd of ~170 people and a woman had a fucking meltdown about it in front of everybody. After that we had to say "folks" and if a manager caught you saying "you guys" you'd get an earful. I mean, I get it, I guess. But that's kinda crazy.

goddamnit hahaha

i think it’s fine because the grammatical form that it’s used in the phrase is not the gendered guy.

that being said social usage will determine this. Language changes

I've been yelled at for dude, even though in SoCal, everything is dude.

Some people are sensitive to that stuff, so I just make a note of who those people are and try to change my language around them. Those people probably have other shit going on in their lives that makes them react more strongly to specific words. Most people don't care.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Years ago I worked with a team of all women. We'd refer to us collectively as guys all the time, such as "hey guys we are meeting in my room. Hey guys how was your weekend."
One day I stuck my head into a room we were meeting in and said "sorry guys I need another minute."
From behind me I hear that dude. You know, that dude. The shriveled dick fuckbucket everyone hates. "Last time I checked, you were the only man in that group, maybe try being less sexist" followed be a stupid fucking grin and head nod at the women through the door.
Followed by one of those magical moments where everything goes the way you hope as every single person in the room simultaneously and obviously groaned, rolled their eyes, and face palmed.

You guys is fine, don't let any shitsphere tell you otherwise.

SeanTSC

"You guys" is pretty standard for the West Coast and doesn't imply a gender. Same with Dude. I've never seen anyone get upset about it.

I've never heard anyone say "y'all" up here in the PNW unless they're visiting from out of state. People drop their accents really fast if they move here. I had a friend move up here from Tennessee and I think it was barely a year before he mostly lost his.

Turin

Banned
Years ago I worked with a team of all women. We'd refer to us collectively as guys all the time, such as "hey guys we are meeting in my room. Hey guys how was your weekend."
One day I stuck my head into a room we were meeting in and said "sorry guys I need another minute."
From behind me I hear that dude. You know, that dude. The shriveled dick fuckbucket everyone hates. "Last time I checked, you were the only man in that group, maybe try being less sexist" followed be a stupid fucking grin and head nod at the women through the door.
Followed by one of those magical moments where everything goes the way you hope as every single person in the room simultaneously and obviously groaned, rolled their eyes, and face palmed.

You guys is fine, don't let any shitsphere tell you otherwise.

Well, I will be adding "shriveled dick fuckbucket" to my vocabulary.

I've never heard anyone call a woman "dude" or even go "Hey dude" to them. Who are these people that call women dudes?

I hear it plenty. Have said it myself.

I hear it plenty. Have said it myself.

I gotta call BS, through my years of being park of teenage punk, club scene, slight goth, even skater -- I rarely (and by rare I mean the situations I can think of are 2000 era Road Trip movies about Michelle Trachtenberg or maybe someone calling Avril Lavigne dude in a music video) heard people call women dudes or a single woman dude.

Top Bottom