• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Rivals |OT| We're Still Putting The Rock Band Back Together

Doing it this way lets them add more free songs without submitting an additional patch.

Just mind boggling that a song uploaded onto the actual xbox store can't at least be purchased by vanilla RB4 users. Regular users who don't think that the online and the rivals mode don't make the upgrade worth it basically have no DLC this week.

It's hilarious. First time in a while I think that's happened.

Tapejara

Yeah, I don't really see the benefit in locking players out of these songs if they appear on the store. Like Gleethor said, putting them on the store does allow Hmnx to bypass releasing a patch, but I would have assumed it'd be easy to have PSN/XBL check if you own Rivals and then change the price to reflect that. IIRC that's been the standard on PSN for a while now. For example delisted songs and exports show up for everyone on PSN, but the displayed price is either "Not Available" or "Free" depending on if you owned them or not when they were originally available.

XShagrath

It's probably all about money. Similar to how the last challenge this season looks like it was all songs with the least sales (or plays for disc songs). People wanting to do that final push to bloodstone might feel compelled to purchase some stuff that they probably don't have unless they were completionists.

I mean, who the hell bought the Hautewerk pack?

And now GAF B' Sides has officially hit Bloodstone, the highest seasonal rank and in the game's top 1% of performers!

BLOOOODSTONE!

Yay! Good to be Bloodstone finally! Great work by you and Fyre putting in tons of work this week. Thanks to Pro for being way better at disco beats than I am and getting good spotlight scores. I don't think I'll ever be consistent on those kinds of songs. See we got a 2nd overall Diamond Badge as well. Nice.

FyreWulff

Aw, have to wait for the promotion animation that I'm gonna be GIFing, but still

txA2I1x.png

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOODSTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

XShagrath

Our GAF crew also hit bloodstone last night. There were a few of us who put in a lot of work last week to get outselves pushed over that threshold.

Here's this week's first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions for this week's free exclusive Rivals tracks!

”Sweater Weather" - PARKS - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 2 | Vocals: Tier 4]
Expert Guitar: 217,367 | 100% Notes Hit (716/716) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 112,800 | 100% Notes Hit (571/571) Full Combo | Gold Stars

”To My Romeo" - Spirit Kid - [Guitar: Tier 3 | Bass: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 1 | Vocals: Tier 4
Expert Guitar: 146,597 | 100% Notes Hit (541/541) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 108,192 | 100% Notes Hit (546/546) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: Rock Band VR songs again, so you've guessed it, both tracks have legit stems and masters. No muffling or bleeding from other tracks when missing notes on your own instrument so you can download these tracks without worrying about D.I.Y stems!

DLC Impressions: This week's tracks are in the "ready to install" section for rivals owners to download and the same for the equivalent on PS4 so don't waste your time visiting the xbox store for these tracks.

”Sweater Weather" has what'll most likely be a love/hate type of guitar chart for lots of people. Lots of bouncy double strumming alternating between single notes, two note chords, and three note chords as well. There's also a burst of off-sync rapid alt-strummed chords towards the end to catch you out. Overall a solid chart, and easily managable if you've FC'ed any of ”The Strokes" songs. Bass is pretty fun as well with an emphasis on bouncing up and down the fretboard with one note hammer-on flourishes and double strummed single notes in between. So yeah, overall it's a solid track for both guitar and bass. ”To My Romeo" is fun on guitar as well, having you change between single note strumming and two and three note chords. The order of this sequence keeps changing all the time as well so it never gets too stale during it's 3 minute running time! Bass is equally as good with a lot of movement up and down the fretboard with a lot of steady strumming between green and orange frets with a few hammer-on flourishes transitioning between lane changes from time to time. With these tracks being free for Rivals owners there's no excuse not to get these!

FyreWulff

Also confirmed, Season 2 doesn't start until the 24th and it looks like each Season will have a two week break before the next going forward.

Lelex

Neo Member
Hey, RockerGAF. Bit of a weird question, but here I go.

Lately I've been really into singing. Not that I'm great or anything, but I've taken a couple of lessons, enjoyed them and I got the idea that maybe rock band would be a Cool way to practice at home and have some feedback of how well I'm doing.

A friend of mine has a RB2 microphone that he'd give me... but I wouldn't have the other instruments, for now.

Sooo... would this be a good purchase for singing-only? Or it just doesn't hold up without the other gear?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

FyreWulff

Isn't it just one GS in each tier? Or has that changed?

The only way to cheese it is to play one song in each tier and gold star it. can't play any other songs. And they've hinted that the formula might be tweaked in the future.

Hey, RockerGAF. Bit of a weird question, but here I go.

Lately I've been really into singing. Not that I'm great or anything, but I've taken a couple of lessons, enjoyed them and I got the idea that maybe rock band would be a Cool way to practice at home and have some feedback of how well I'm doing.

A friend of mine has a RB2 microphone that he'd give me... but I wouldn't have the other instruments, for now.

Sooo... would this be a good purchase for singing-only? Or it just doesn't hold up without the other gear?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

You can definitely play Rock Band only singing, even multiplayer if you get multiple mics and play Harmonies. The vox community is just as competitive as the other instruments. I think for singing though you definitely either want to make sure there's songs in there you -want- to sing.

XShagrath

You need to gold star every song you've played for 1000 skill. FCs don't matter.
I think I can probably do it on vocals. I'm at 955 there right now, and if I don't play any new songs until GS'ing all that I've already played, it probably won't be too bad.

Just looked it up on the app, and I've got 66 5-stars and 5 4-stars. I should be able to bump those all up to GS fairly easily.

Bauer91

I think I can probably do it on vocals. I'm at 955 there right now, and if I don't play any new songs until GS'ing all that I've already played, it probably won't be too bad.

So you're into RB again, nice!

If you haven't played harmonies at all, gold starring a song from each tier is a fast way to get 1000 skill, if that mission is that important to people.

I'm saying that as someone with 727 gold stars/587 FCs and 1000 skill on guitar. :p

Farside

Unconfirmed Member

Just looked it up on the app, and I've got 66 5-stars and 5 4-stars. I should be able to bump those all up to GS fairly easily.

As it's just a mission, not a trophy, I don't feel bad for ignoring it. But you could easily get there.

So you're into RB again, nice!

You can thank me for that; I bought it for him. :)

pacman85

Well I guess we now know the last 2 weeks of August will contain the 4 new songs coming out this month that are going to be paid songs (one from RBVR, 3 completely new ones).

Just bought the Rock band rivals band in a box kit. It's been a while since I've played the drums, but something seems off here. It feels like it doesn't register hits or the timing is WAY OFF. I calibrated by using the guitar, and it seemed a little better, but still frustratingly bad.

FyreWulff

It's kinda of weird because it's like "HARMONIX IS ON THE BRINK OF DEATH" but they keep going "yo here's free content"

if every season break is gonna be free songs they could start piling up

Just bought the Rock band rivals band in a box kit. It's been a while since I've played the drums, but something seems off here. It feels like it doesn't register hits or the timing is WAY OFF. I calibrated by using the guitar, and it seemed a little better, but still frustratingly bad.

If the guitar auto-calibrate doesn't work then you've got to get down to the nitty gritty and do some manual calibration I'm afraid. Here's a good guide on how to tweak both the audio and video settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GZdZX9f_-U

Also if you have a "game mode" setting on your TV then try toggling that on and off and see what happens, that can affect latency.

Stubo

In a rush today so here's my first playthrough scores, stem confirmations and impressions of this week's free DLC for Rock Band Rivals owners:

“Black Seas” - Arctic Horror - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 5 | Vocals: Tier 0 | Bass: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 157,840 | 100% Notes Hit (672/672) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 133,442 | 100% Notes Hit (449/449) Full Combo | Gold Stars

“(You’re) Breakin’ Up” - The Black Cheers - [Guitar: Tier 4 | Drums: Tier 4 | Vocals: Tier 1 | Bass: Tier 3]
Expert Guitar: 153,208 | 100% Notes Hit (775/775) Full Combo | Gold Stars
Expert Bass: 171,865 | 100% Notes Hit (862/862) Full Combo | Gold Stars

Stem Confirmations: Yet more RBVR setlist songs which means, you guessed it, they both have properly seperated tracks and stems. No muffling of other tracks when messing notes on your own instruments. So that's another week of free songs with legit stems. Whoo!

DLC Impressions: Arctic Horror is okay on both guitar and bass, both have very chuggy and slow riffs scattered throughout. But if you hate strum lanes then you'll despise this song on guitar, they dotted around throughout and they're even in the solo as well right at the end. So overall it's an okay track but nothing special. "You're Breakin' Up" is a much better track though. Constant steady movement on both instruments and the bass has tons of rad as fuck bass gallops throughout. The guitar solo towards the end of the song is nasty though, lots of rapid hammer-on movement and a lot of strumming inbetween the note snaking too. Overall, "You're Breakin' Up" is the best song of the week but they're both worth picking up for the low low price of £0.00 for Rivals owners.

FyreWulff

Well, I went to check my Ready to Install to see if any of these new songs were working for me, and for some reason almost my entire DLC library is in Ready to Install.

lol

edit: turns out it was a Halo Wars 2 update crashing my One again. Still don't have the songs after a hard reboot.

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rivals-season-2-electric-boogaloo/

We're also making some adjustments to how song play bonuses and XP decay work, starting in Season 2. As it stands now, your Crew gets a 1st/2nd/3rd play bonus for the first time anyone in your crew plays a song. After 10 plays of that specific song, XP would decay by 1%, preventing people from exploiting a song by playing it on repeat.

We're tweaking this to allow each player to have their own bonuses and decay levels per song. Everyone will get their own first, second, and third play bonuses on a song. After that, XP will decay by 10% per play, until your 12th play of a song or beyond, at which point you'll continue to receive 10% XP.

Season 2 rewards.
helmets.png

c-murph

Finally bought a new Gold PS4 with a SSD and began downloading all 2000+ track to get back into the game again. Spent a couple hours the last two days just downloading tracks and sitting around 900 downloaded... ugh its such a grind. At least there was no corrupt data errors this time around.

I'm only somewhere around Foo Fighter Packs in the store for my downloads. Going in alphabetical order. Haven't even touch the game since dlc ended. Although, I finally tried a Expert song yesterday and my hand cramped up. lul. I'm so shitty at the game...

I don't have rivals yet. Should probably download that once I finish with all my songs.

c-murph

If you're playing on PS4 in EU/AU, yep, those still do not work.

Ok, awesome thanks. I'm on Sony NA. I'm redownloading all my dlc and was wondering where they were. Old google links from last year said they didn't work but just thought I'd double check with people who are currently active with the game.

Almost through downloading packs... currently at Thin Lizzy...

Top Bottom