• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponge

Banned
To anyone wondering why Sony would even consider Bond in this game, It's because they have the rights to the movies at the moment.

It'd be a dumb choice in my opinion to have Bond in a game of Sony characters, when his big title was an N64 game.

Imm0rt4l

Hi.

Um, honestly there's not much i could add to this thread. NeoGAF is unbelievably good at tracking down every bit of pre-release info available anywhere.

Just wanted to say thanks for the support and for giving us the benefit of the doubt.
Props on the work you're putting in. Having the likes of you and Ed Ma involved in some capacity for combat definitely has me more hyped than I would be otherwise :D

sn00zer

A Daxter/Clank team up would be really cool actually
EDIT: Hoping for some serious stages as well...I love silly/goofy stages, but a serious mashup stage would be nice as well..such as the rumored Ico/SotC/Guardian stage

Yeah that rumored list was trash. There are way better characters from first, second and third party exclusives that Sony should tap into. Most of the multi-plat third party characters (like the guy from Red Dead Redemption) are just that, that guy from that other shooter. SSB is popular/successful because of how dynamic and unique the characters are. Battle Royale needs more unique and colorful characters like Spyro and Crash.

SmithnCo

To anyone wondering why Sony would even consider Bond in this game, It's because they have the rights to the movies at the moment.

It'd be a dumb choice in my opinion to have Bond in a game of Sony characters, when his big title was an N64 game.

Even weirder when Snake and Gabe Logan, and Drake and other FPS/TPS characters probably cover all the same ground in their moves.

No idea why Bond would be in, but if he was, this has to be his Super Attack.

Little+Nellie.jpg

Endo Punk

I see. And I believe '007: Everything or Nothing' was also very well recieved, though for popularity sake Goldeneye still tops it.

Thought I'd compile some of the stuff on PGN that hasn't been officially unveiled yet. If it helps people, the SOURCE broke the story first and has been accurate with literally everything so far.

Nathan Drake’s moves involve him punching up close, but for most of his attacks, he’s an all-range fighter: he uses a pistol, grenade, and rifle. He’ll probably be the character that most resembles Solid Snake from Brawl. His Level 1 bar attack is him pushing over a statue onto his opponents. His Level 3 super is turning enveryone into defenseless monsters where he can then beat them up. His recovery move is a zipline.

Items:
- RPG Rocket Launcher = a one hit kill. (edit) It actually drains the super meter.
- Quick Boots = you run around faster.
- Stage exclusive items like the Flag on Sandover, Buzz! Remote in LittleBigPlanet, etc.

The development team said that they’re still working on making the cast and stages a varied one and are looking at plus or minus 20 playable characters.
- The game won’t be littered with half a dozen playable characters from one franchise, rather, supporting characters from these games will have cameos (like the previously mentioned Bentley).

Q5] Can you give us an 8th character?
A5] Yes I can: the pair of Jak and Daxter!

Scrapped stage:
Q6] Can you give us a 3rd stage?
A6] The Bridge of Asylia from Lair is purportedly being in development. The stage is expected to have Lair’s epic score playing, while the Asylians and the Mokai have their battle in the background. One idea is to have a stage-exclusive item be a Sixaxis controller (DualShock 3′s predecessor) and when you pick it up, your character will jump on the back of General Atta-Kai’s Blood Dragon which Rohn is riding, and you’ll have to tilt the actual controller back and forth to unleash a fiery blast on your three opponents below. I can’t wait to see it in action, because it sounds like one awesome stage (and the Sixaxis controller part would be a great homage to Lair).

Q. Wait…wha? James Bond…in Title fight? o_O Serious?
A. He actually is not a character in it yet, nor will he even necessarily make the final cut, but at least some involved in the game’s development are thinking about Bond as a potential 3rd party character to put in. Heck, they don’t even know the final lineup of PS brand exclusive characters, let alone IF any 3rd party peeps will show up. All at this point that can be said is that his name has popped up as a possibility.

Pic of one of the developers modelling Yorda from ICO. On an unrelated note, there's also a Megaman in the bottom left and a Mario figure behind the monitor.

ODk3NDc4OUY0N0M2QUY3OUJCREE6MmVkODczZGE4MGFjYWI2ZTk5NGYwNDRmMjU5YWFiNDU=

But they don't have the Bond license for games, Activision does. By that logic they should include Spiderman, which actually would be a better inclusion than Bond.

ICO and Wander have to be in the game, as an indirect way of promoting Team ICO games and thus The Last Guardian. You know it makes sense, assuming TLG ever does see the light of day.

Izick

If Lightning somehow makes it into this game over Auron/Cloud.. ugh.. Just... ugh

A Dragon Quest character would also be pretty awesome. Yangus would wreck shit in this game.

That would be pretty dumb. If Cloud isn't one of the most iconic PS figures of all time, then I don't know who is. That's coming from somebody who never even played FF 7.

Comet

What I would like to see from a Final Fantasy third party character would be this:

tumblr_llzos2VnVh1qgu874o1_500.jpg

Ramza.

The city of Dorter, or hell any of the major castle/fortresses could provide a cool stage. But honestly, I don't think anything beats fighting in Midgar. Bring on Cloud too.

Glad we're back on track again. Let's talk about roster preferences in general. This is how I usually want my rosters to be in a fighting game, a mix of:

- popular main characters (self explanatory)
- popular secondary characters (also self explanatory)
- fan-service characters (a perfect combination would be wank material, cute characters and comedy relief)
- what the hell characters (Mr. Game and Watch nailed this category)

Of course, they all must offer unique gameplay. This way, there is something for everyone. Some characters in this game look like they already fit in several categories, that's a good thing. That being said, Cloud needs to be in because he is Cloud. Even if for some reason his gameplay would overlap a little with another character, it would be worth it because of the attention he would pull towards the game, resulting in more sales. People posting rosters without Cloud (because it's edgy, apparently) don't realize how beneficial he would be to the game, and I'm not even a FF fanboy so this is not biased speaking.

What I would like to see from a Final Fantasy third party character would be this:

tumblr_llzos2VnVh1qgu874o1_500.jpg

Ramza.

The city of Dorter, or hell any of the major castle/fortresses could provide a cool stage. But honestly, I don't think anything beats fighting in Midgar. Bring on Cloud too.

This. I would absolutely love fighting in Midgar. My real question is if they're limiting it to one character per franchise/IP, if that's the case then my vote goes for Cloud, even though I would LOVE to see Squall, everyone tends to hate on him haha. Would you guys be upset if the Final Fantasy character was a female, especially if it was Lightning (I know she gets a lot of hate)?

Comet

This. I would absolutely love fighting in Midgar. My real question is if they're limiting it to one character per franchise/IP, if that's the case then my vote goes for Cloud, even though I would LOVE to see Squall, everyone tends to hate on him haha. Would you guys be upset if the Final Fantasy character was a female, especially if it was Lightning (I know she gets a lot of hate)?

Lightning over Cloud, Sephiroth, Ramza, Zidane, Vivi, Squall, Aeris, or Tidus would be a travesty in my eyes.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
That list completely clashes with Superbot's stated goal of drawing from the rich history of PlayStation:

"Hey guyz, let's make a multi-player brawler featuring the rich history of the PlayStation universe, but only use characters from the last 6 years of gaming!"

List is BS.

bakedpony

What would everyone feel if Capcom and Sony agree to include Megaman Volnutt in the game??? The Legends were popular in the original PS (though N64 had one too).

Izick

What would everyone feel if Capcom and Sony agree to include Megaman Volnutt in the game??? The Legends were popular in the original PS (though N64 had one too).

Eh, I wouldn't mind. I feel like Megaman would fit into this kind of game well. I'm not really that up on the franchise, but I googled "Volnutt" and am a little confused. Why pick him over regular Megaman or like Megaman from the X series? Are you saying just because he was from the Legends series?

KevinCow

Banned
Eh, I wouldn't mind. I feel like Megaman would fit into this kind of game well. I'm not really that up on the franchise, but I googled "Volnutt" and am a little confused. Why pick him over regular Megaman or like Megaman from the X series? Are you saying just because he was from the Legends series?

Volnutt's a different character from Mega Man classic or Mega Man X. I assume he picked him specifically because the other two are more closely related to Nintendo than Sony.

Izick

Volnutt's a different character from Mega Man classic or Mega Man X. I assume he picked him specifically because the other two are more closely related to Nintendo than Sony.

Oh, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't really care as long as a Megaman gets in there somewhere. Megaman is kind of like built for this type of game.

If I could have a third party character in there....I mean besides Snake of course, I'd probably go with like Alucard or maybe even Lara Croft, which I know some people may not like, but TR was a big part of the PS1. Shit...somebody from the Resident Evil franchise....but there are so many choices there...

What about the Ape Escape monkey?

I think is an Ape Escape character was to be put in, they should put in Kei from the third installment, maybe have the monkeys assist him with his level 1 or 2 special and leave that level 3 for one of his awesome "transformations"

Izick

Hey, I'm down for whatever. I'm super pumped about this game, I love the SSB games, and I always thought it would be awesome to see that type of game with Sony characters. All I really can hope for is that they manage to nail the netcode. I know this game isn't a technical fighter, but I always felt lag always killed SSBB for me, for the few times I played it online. I know that you can't capture the magic of having friends or family playing with you in the same room, but lag doesn't help at all.

KevinCow

Banned

Ape Escape is first-party. I'd say that, behind the "Well, duh," tier of characters - Drake, Cole, Ratchet, Jak, and Sackboy - someone representing Ape Escape is pretty much the #1 most likely character. It's had a ton of games, the first of which was a pretty big deal and introduced the Dual Shock to many gamers; the monkeys are iconic and recognizable, even if the series isn't as relevant today as it once was - I'd say they're definitely the most recognizable SCEJ characters outside of Japan; and the gadgets make an extremely obvious moveset.

The question, really, isn't whether there will be an Ape Escape character, but who the Ape Escape character will be.

Spike, the first and probably most well-known protagonist?
A generic Ape, since they're the most recognizable aspect of the series?
Or Specter, the main antagonist of the series?

I made an argument for Specter a while ago in this thread, but it could really be any of these three.

Izick

Ape Escape is first-party. I'd say that, behind the "Well, duh," tier of characters - Drake, Cole, Ratchet, Jak, and Sackboy - someone representing Ape Escape is pretty much the #1 most likely character. It's had a ton of games, the first of which was a pretty big deal and introduced the Dual Shock to many gamers; the monkeys are iconic and recognizable, even if the series isn't as relevant today as it once was - I'd say they're definitely the most recognizable SCEJ characters outside of Japan; and the gadgets make an extremely obvious moveset.

The question, really, isn't whether there will be an Ape Escape character, but who the Ape Escape character will be.

Spike, the first and probably most well-known protagonist?
A generic Ape, since they're the most recognizable aspect of the series?
Or Specter, the main antagonist of the series?

I made an argument for Specter a while ago in this thread, but it could really be any of these three.

Yeah, I knew it was a 1st party series, that's why I put it separate at the end, I was just curious how people here felt about it. I'm not sure though which character. I say the Monkey only because it seems to be the most recognizable face of the series, and there's a lot of interesting and unique things they can do with that character.

KevinCow

Banned
Apes are undoubtedly the face of the Ape Escape franchise, but I think Specter would be a good middle ground between them and Spike. His character portrait could be him and a couple apes that he could summon for different attacks, so people only mildly familiar with the series would still recognize them and say, "Oh, oh yeah, that's Ape Escape!" But you'd still get a named character instead of just a generic Ape or something, and since he's smarter than the other apes, it would be reasonably believable for him to use the gadgets the series is known for.

Izick

Good points. He has a pretty unique kind of character design as well, so I wouldn't mind see him over the Apes.

It would be cool if this game blows up and is big, that maybe some older or more obscure characters could get some love and they could revive a franchise due to fan appreciation; like what happened with Kid Icarus and SSBB.

I'm still worried of how sincere Sony the and Superbot is to treat this as celebration of playstation history, or just another tool for cross promoting other games...

Izick

I'm still worried of how sincere Sony the and Superbot is to treat this as celebration of playstation history, or just another tool for cross promoting other games...

I mean, it looks as serious as SSB is with that I guess. They seem to be doing some really cool stuff with the characters, and the background/stage stuff looks really great.

(._.)

Banned
Why exactly do you think it looks dumb?

- characters lack charisma
- copying a game that thrives on having charismatic characters
- looks dated

half the fun of smash is that you're playing as iconic characters in famous stages with all your friends who don't game. Where is the fun in playing a game that thrives heavily on a social atmosphere when all your friends playing it will feel polarized by seeing bald space marines as characters?

- looks dated

half the fun of smash is that you're playing as iconic characters in famous stages with all your friends who don't game. Where is the fun in playing a game that thrives heavily on a social atmosphere when all your friends playing it will feel polarized by seeing bald space marines as characters?

I would argue that many of Sony's characters have just as much "charisma" and are as likeable as Nintendo's.

Crash was hilarious in the PSX days. Parappa is charming. Kratos is amazing, haters be damned, I love the guy. Jak and Daxter are the best duo in gaming since Mario and Luigi.

Also, do fighting games seem dated now? Don't quite get that argument, since Nintendo will be releasing another Smash Bros game soon I doubt you would call it "dated".

SmithnCo

Fat Princess, Parappa, and Sly qualify as bald space marine types?

I find the "not iconic" character complaints odd because clearly Sony fans will recognize them, and if the game is good enough others won't care. I doubt they would know half of Melee's roster.

I don't think it looks dated either, looks nice especially at 60 FPS. Make it sharper and a tad more colorful and it'd look better.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
- looks dated

There are zero bald space marines, there are more cartoony characters than gritty characters at the moment....

Izick

- looks dated

What? It's not like it's just the Killzone Helghast guy in the game. Are you telling me that every single character in Smash or Brawl were "charismatic?" Gannon was charismatic? Some characters just work better as subdued and just "cool." The Helghast isn't supposed to be some flamboyant dude; he's just a warrior. The game needs balance of personalities, just like SSB.

I don't know how it looks dated. It's not Uncharted but it looks pretty damn good for what it is.

EDIT: Was going to mention Parappa, but people already got it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom