• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Thoraxes

Pranay_ said:
He looks like the son of Yuna and Tidus [ -.-]
I don't want Pulse to be future/past Spira :(
Although... it kinda looks like it... and Cocoon can be a machina. The Archylte Steppe could be the Calm Lands.
Nooooooo, stop making me try to force myself to make connections between the two!

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The Praiseworthy said:
I hope the story turns out to be more exciting than the last few FF games.... I want a big plot twist, I miss the good plot twists :-(
FFXIII had them. :p It just happens that they were executed in the most drab, boring way, through boring wall of texts from the main villain, and had no element of surprise or anything. So they had no impact whatsoever.

Noel is from the future and is somehow related to lightning's rival. So ya, easy to guess. Brothers or the same person.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
Some info from Jump:

Noel is from the future. He's the last surviving human from his time.
Lightning continues fighting as a knight protecting a shrine of the goddess Etro in Valhalla now.
Not that I had high hopes for the narrative in the first place, but all of these plot details sounds like they have the potential to be utter disasters given Toriyama's scenario skills. At least it has the potential to be hilarious with unintentionally funny dialogue!

Shadow780 said:
Noel is Trunks.
Exactly what I thought.

Dark Schala said:
Not that I had high hopes for the narrative in the first place, but all of these plot details sounds like they have the potential to be utter disasters given Toriyama's scenario skills. At least it has the potential to be hilarious with unintentionally funny dialogue!
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the spectacle of it all. All of it so far sounds terribad and should be pretty hilarious.

But still. I want a FF story that's interesting. It feels like just yesterday we had FFXII with its interesting plot and fantastic Alexander O. Smith translation. What happened? :(

Now we have (if I understand this right):
'One day while Lightning is missing, the town gets attacked by monsters. Serah (now with 50% less clothes) is in trouble(!) and suddenly is rescued by a mysterious handsome stranger (oooh!), who also happens to be the last surviving human from an apocalyptic future (ahhh!). They set off an an adventure, accompanied by a magic moogle who can transform into weapons to help Serah fight and can now travel to different time periods looking for her sister. Cue motivational speeches about Serah fighting on her own and now being the one doing the rescuing.

Meanwhile, Lightning is in another dimension, fighting as a super warrior protecting a mystical shrine while dealing with her "fated rival".'

Wow, just wow. I hope Type-0 takes a cue from XII and has a (relatively) decent plot and storytelling. Come on, Tabata! Of course we don't even know if that game is coming out in English, while this game already has English media and a a release scheduled -_-

Megidolaon said:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to the spectacle of it all. All of it so far sounds terribad and should be pretty hilarious.

But still. I want a FF story that's interesting. It feels like just yesterday we had FFXII with its interesting plot and fantastic Alexander O. Smith translation. What happened? :(

'One day while Lightning is missing, the town gets attacked by monsters. Serah (now with 50% less clothes) is in trouble(!) and suddenly is rescued by a mysterious handsome stranger (oooh!), who also happens to be the last surviving human from an apocalyptic future (ahhh!). They set off an an adventure, accompanied by a magic moogle who can transform into weapons to help Serah fight and can now travel to different time periods looking for her sister. Cue motivational speeches about Serah fighting on her own and now being the one doing the rescuing.

Meanwhile, Lightning is in another dimension, fighting as a super warrior protecting a mystical shrine while dealing with her "fated rival".'

Wow, just wow. I hope Type-0 takes a cue from XII and has a (relatively) decent plot and storytelling. Come on, Tabata! Of course we don't even know if that game is coming out in English, while this game already has English media and a a release scheduled -_-

This is pretty much IT.

That's the plot so far .. you've just forgotten the part where new old citizen of cocoon ( now populating gran pulse and beyond ) are suddenly getting attacked by monsters from another dimension and how the natural flore of gran pulse have trouble ( overall ) with dimensionnal monster from a different plane of existence.

Screw the plot, I just want some good ole' ATB action. I've never played JRPGs for their plots (though I can certainly appreciate good ones), and I'm probably not not starting now.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Maybe the time traveling will be put to good use from a gameplay point of view. AKA, allow us to explore those awesome-looking Cocoon towns. Not that I expect it too happen, really; those towns are quite big and cool for HD. And their mood won't be enhanced by a good story. The immersion will be totally screwed and thrown at a datalog's wall of text. And...

Actually, nevermind. The music and the battle system should be good.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
The time travelling thing could help us have a "Link to the Past (Future!)"-type of experience actually, with chances for players to re-visit the same world at two different times, with changes in gameplay. It'll be cool if so. I actually thought about this when I've seen that portal at the E3 DEMO, where Serah and Noel came out from. Portals = Gates for switching between present and future?

sublimit

Banned
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Each to their own. Personally as long as character designs do not fall outside of my sphere of tolerance they just wash over me as being rather trivial part of my experience. Graphical aesthetics and colour palette have much more impact to me. So far XIII-2 has been rather drab, which worries me. I liked how lush and sharp XIII was, but then I guess having assets that were being worked on for so many years helped in that regard.

Just curious do you like Serah's character design?Personally i consider it as atrocious and cliche-ish as a bald space marine.
It's so overly pop and "kewl" that it makes me want to puke.

Quick thoughts: They've really gone overboard with the character designs on this one. The battle theme with the violin is awesome. VA sounds like same as XIII or slightly downgraded =\, with equally hokey dialogue. Ugh.

Will probably sit through this just for HD towns and music.

Perfo

weeaboo said:
Jump scan is out with a new Lightning render, she looks HOT <3

Yes, she is!

Btw, I finally had the time – even if late – to read the mithology and it's surprising how much you can understand more of FFXIII's story and possibly FFXIII-2's one with it. It actually helps making everything more and more interesting and I am now really hyped about the sequel in regard to that. Plus I love the Kojiki's feel to it, I bet that's their main source of inspiration for creating it :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Megidolaon said:

fuck. fuck. fuck... I don't want this story. I REALLY don't want this. :(

sublimit said:
Just curious do you like Serah's character design?Personally i consider it as atrocious and cliche-ish as a bald space marine.
It's so overly pop and "kewl" that it makes me want to puke.

There is nothing objectionable about her design. Just your typical young cheery girly girl design. It is not like she is dressed in gaudy attire, her clothes and hair are all very orthodox. I actually had to look up her name to see who you were even talking about, that is how much I care about characters and plot in games but that is just me.

The only way a character design can ever offend me is if it heavily reeks of the military of the west. Seeing that shit makes me want to punch a baby deer, dudebro and other overly muscly stereotypes of western comics on the other hand only bring me to a perturbed sneer.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
-Pyromaniac- said:
So Noel is the Terminator.
More like Kyle Reese, I think.

As for that Lightning render... who thought that armour would be a functional and great design? :|
Anyway, Lightning's render is better than the Serah one if I had to compare the two.

hsukardi

Megidolaon said:

This is terrible. Who the fuck approved the concept.

I am passing on this game.

Beth Cyra

Lightning looks amazing just as she did when XIII-2 was revealed.

Don't know what to think about Noel coming back from the past were he is the last human alive, but if it means a cool scene with the Titan destroying some shit then I'm all over it. Thing I wanted most from XIII was to see that bastard freak out.

Thoraxes

Am I the only one who likes stories like this?

Like sure there are serious games and stuff too, but I love playing games with wacky/out-there plots. It's at least different from what's usually in games now, and I can't say I hate them (I also really liked the ridiculousness of X-2 too, just because it was different). Also Lightning looks pretty hot in that latest scan.

Also the second Hamauzu was confirmed, I became a day 1 Collector's Edition OST purchaser.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thoraxes said:

Like sure there are serious games and stuff too, but I love playing games with wacky/out-there plots. It's at least different from what's usually in games now, and I can't say I hate them (I also really liked the ridiculousness of X-2 too, just because it was different). Also Lightning looks pretty hot in that latest scan.

Also the second Hamauzu was confirmed, I became a day 1 Collector's Edition OST purchaser.
It doesn't seem "wacky and out there" to me.

It sounds like tropes taken from little kids manga.

Perfo

Thoraxes said:

You're not the only one, just look at Fringe and LOST. It's full, but somehow people love to speak bad of FF whatever the reason :D

Coxy said:
loooool really SE? that's the story? what a joke, unbelieveable

It's more like this: Lightning got through the invisible door (maybe she died to achieve this), reaching the invisible world, to protect Etro and so the balance of the world, previously menaced by Desley and perhaps still crumbling because of his actions (in XIII he obeyed to his god trying to reach out the invisible world by mass suicide, with the aim to kill Etro then and awakening the Maker). In the mean time, the sister looks out for her with her new companion, a man coming from the future, (perhaps) the future that the mithology always said to come: where the visible world is destined to end.

Sounds epic to me :D

ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
There is nothing objectionable about her design. Just your typical young cheery girly girl design. It is not like she is dressed in gaudy attire, her clothes and hair are all very orthodox. I actually had to look up her name to see who you were even talking about, that is how much I care about characters and plot in games but that is just me.

The only way a character design can ever offend me is if it heavily reeks of the military of the west. Seeing that shit makes me want to punch a baby deer, dudebro and other overly muscly stereotypes of western comics on the other hand only bring me to a perturbed sneer.

I hear ya, but personally I'd prefer the character entering battle to be geared up for the fight, like Lighting. Serah looks like she's ready to hit stage to debut her new hit j-pop single album. Noel looks like he's ready to hit the beach.

Beth Cyra

For everyone not caring about the story, I just have to say I enjoyed X's story but if you were to take just pieces as they have done with XIII-2 it would've sounded dreadful as well.

Tidus is a star blitzball player, but not really because the world he's in is just a dream but then he comes out of the dream to the real world were the populace is far reduced from what he would think because a giant whale is going around shooting giant laser beams and killing everyone. Oh and everyone hates a race of people because they want to use Machines.

Same goes for pretty much any game in the series so I will wait to see how it plays out before I say if I hate it or love it.

TruePrime said:
For everyone not caring about the story, I just have to say I enjoyed X's story but if you were to take just pieces as they have done with XIII-2 it would've sounded dreadful as well.

Tidus is a star blitzball player, but not really because the world he's in is just a dream but then he comes out of the dream to the real world were the populace is far reduced from what he would think because a giant whale is going around shooting giant laser beams and killing everyone. Oh and everyone hates a race of people because they want to use Machines.

Same goes for pretty much any game in the series so I will wait to see how it plays out before I say if I hate it or love it.

FFX was a decade ago now and SE's stories have generally been getting stupider since then, at least from the Square side of things, especially anything involving Toriyama. Even if he had a big hand in FFX's story (I don't know if he did or not), his current form is FFXIII (which had an okay story on paper, but was completely bungled in the execution) and The Third Birthday, so yeah, expecting anything good from him in the director's seat would be like the people who were still holding out hope that Lucas would deliver for Revenge of the Sith, despite Episode I and II.

Beth Cyra

Die Squirrel Die said:
FFX was a decade ago now and SE's stories have generally been getting stupider since then, at least from the Square side of things, especially anything involving Toriyama. Even if he had a big hand in FFX's story (I don't know if he did or not), his current form is FFXIII (which had an okay story on paper, but was completely bungled in the execution) and The Third Birthday, so yeah, expecting anything good from him in the director's seat would be like the people who were still holding out hope that Lucas would deliver for Revenge of the Sith, despite Episode I and II.
I liked XIII though so I don't really mind giving the man a shot.

And it wasn't just X. V, VII, VIII, IX all had these silly issues, some worse then others granted but as it stands NO FF in my mind has ever had a truly good story so I don't mind either way, so long as I like a character or two and I enjoy the gameplay that is good enough for me.

Droplet

Meh, I thought the plot of FFXIII was decent at best, just they never actually focused on the plot itself in the game so it came off as terrible. The biggest problem I see right now is that they're basically giving us a jumbled mess of a plot to work with right now, so our expectation based on both our previous experiences and what they've given us is that the plot will be a mess.

Still, I really liked the world that FFXIII had and given the fact that it seems we're given a little more freedom to interact with it still makes me excited. I'll wait until further details until I decide whether I want to get it in January or June though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Perfo said:
You're not the only one, just look at Fringe and LOST. It's full, but somehow people love to speak bad of FF whatever the reason :D
I don't watch TV very often outside of the news, comedy specials and reruns, but I saw a few eps of Lost and Fringe and didn't really like any of it. It's just not for me, I guess.

Spirit Icana said:
I hear ya, but personally I'd prefer the character entering battle to be geared up for the fight, like Lighting. Serah looks like she's ready to hit stage to debut her new hit j-pop single album. Noel looks like he's ready to hit the beach.
"WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU" Pt. II
Serah "MoogleBow" Farron feat. Noel "BEACH'S TERMINATOR" Kreiss, Lightning "Birthday Party" Farron & MoogleTrnsfrmr
Nautilus Republic Records

Single available now at a Save Point near you!

Spirit Icana said:

I never try to rationalize games in that manner, I just let it wash over me. I dont really see how any of the FFXIII staff looked like they were ready for battle as niether were wearing any discernable battle artire. But then that is a good thing, means the character designers weighed aestetics over realism, which is a quantity which should never be suffered any place in videogames in my opinion.

If you absolutely need to have a silver lining for Serah's design, well, she certainly has high doujin potential, I'll give her that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
After XIII and 3rd Birthday, I'm surprised some of you were expecting Toriyama to make a decent story this time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nirolak said:
I don't think most people played 3rd Birthday.

Maybe they should! Then they would know that Toriyama is indeed a terrible writer, and that's not going to change for XIII-2.

Beth Cyra

Kagari said:
After XIII and 3rd Birthday, I'm surprised some of you were expecting Toriyama to make a decent story this time.
Well I don't really expect a good or even decent story. I do expect to have a character or two that I like.

I haven't found a single FF story to be good, so I don't see why I would hold it any more against XIII then I did it any of the rest of the games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
TruePrime said:
Well I don't really expect a good or even decent story. I do expect to have a character or two that I like.

I haven't found a single FF story to be good, so I don't see why I would hold it any more against XIII then I did it any of the rest of the games.

There are definitely entries in the series that have great stories, but that's for another thread.

Nirolak said:
I don't think most people played 3rd Birthday.

Just got it off of PSN, and the story is quite incomprehensible thus far...fun game and all, but yeah.

Also, more interested in XIII-2's battle system/soundtrack than anything else right now.

Beth Cyra

Kagari said:
There are definitely entries in the series that have great stories, but that's for another thread.
Hmm well I disagree overall, but that is why I probably am just as cool with XIII and possibly XIII-2 given I love the battle system.

Luthos

Haven't really been following this game. Is this Noel guy a l'Cie I guess? Or how else does he have these powers?

Top Bottom