• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Do we have an all encompassing audiophile GAF or something? Coz this post probably won't fit in headphone GAF... but here it is anyway.

One of my buddies is raving on and on about how great the Monoprice Studio Monitors are. Now I know Monoprice makes nice cables, but I haven't used any of their Pro Audio stuff... but then I looked at the price. $170 for the pair?!?!

As much as I really loved the sound of those Mackie's I'm planning to get... those are $260 for the pair. These Monoprice monitors are almost $100 less than that, even better is MP usually has a sale every weekend or whatever that drops these to somewhere around $130... and that's still for a pair. I might actually just wait on these if the reviews are good.

HiResDes

Those are pretty good, I have Alesis Elevate 5's, which are a bit bass light, but sport great clarity...There are also the Presonus Eris E4.5 in the range, which I believe like the Alesis are more tuned towards accuracy than fun.

Articalys

Why would you do that unless sound quality is your least concern and isolation is your biggest.
It was more of a joke than a serious consideration; I guess I needed to include sarcasm tags or something.

But I do think this thread is a bit too hardcore for me... what I really wanted to ask from the start was just "What over-ear headphones under $200 that I can buy on Amazon provide the best isolation and sound okay under most conditions?". I was a bit worried about how such a question would be received, though.

HiResDes

It was more of a joke than a serious consideration; I guess I needed to include sarcasm tags or something.

But I do think this thread is a bit too hardcore for me... what I really wanted to ask from the start was just "What over-ear headphones under $200 that I can buy on Amazon provide the best isolation and sound okay under most conditions?". I was a bit worried about how such a question would be received, though.
I've already given you tons of options that fit that criteria.

There are probably a good handful of headphones that would be the answer to your question. Whenever someone asks for recommendations, HiResDes and other posters, including me, will always want to know what type of music you like so we can make the best recommendations. Everyone has different tastes in music, so headphone manufacturers develop headphones with different sound signatures. Most of us who frequent and post in this thread care about good sound quality for the right price, and a lot of us are probably "hardcore" about headphones, just like PC gamers are hardcore about building custom gaming PCs.

If you don't understand the terms "good mids" or "warm and musical" or other terms you see in this thread, check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Ran rp

Sigh, idk. After using it for another full day and switching back and forth between the Koss and CADs I'm not totally enjoying these PDJ200s. The MH310s are warm (?) and expansive while the PDJ200s sound more shrill and closed and all around "messier" (lol help me out here) and I'm left fatigued much more frequently. They aren't terrible for the price but they still don't match up to the MH310s to my ears. The build quality of the MH310s isn't great (the pads and cables hardened and cracked after a few months) but the sound... they sound so good. Unlike all the other headphones I've owned I haven't had a single complaint about their sound quality in the 2-3 years I've been using them. I wish I knew more about headphone/audio tech so I could know specifically what makes these sound better to me and find a replacement set on par with them.

edit: well that's helpful ^

Those are pretty good, I have Alesis Elevate 5's, which are a bit bass light, but sport great clarity...There are also the Presonus Eris E4.5 in the range, which I believe like the Alesis are more tuned towards accuracy than fun.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll check them both out.

I'm still kinda leaning towards the Monoprices due to the price, especially when they've got coupons for everything in the store... as apparently they can go as low as $135.

But those Presonus ones seem pretty good too... much more so since I'm using an Audiobox USB as my recording box/DAC/amp combo.

I'm planning to buy these in 2 weeks so I'll keep looking around and look at my options.

Articalys

There are probably a good handful of headphones that would be the answer to your question. Whenever someone asks for recommendations, HiResDes and other posters, including me, will always want to know what type of music you like so we can make the best recommendations. Everyone has different tastes in music, so headphone manufacturers develop headphones with different sound signatures. Most of us who frequent and post in this thread care about good sound quality for the right price, and a lot of us are probably "hardcore" about headphones, just like PC gamers are hardcore about building custom gaming PCs.

If you don't understand the terms "good mids" or "warm and musical" or other terms you see in this thread, check this out:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
That page does help a bit, thanks, though I'd probably still be hard-pressed to translate my preferences in music to that terminology.

Probably just going to go with the Brainwavz, since it seems like they can handle both general music and movies, and will block out a large amount of sound from outside. I know he said the ADL H118, but unless they're leaps and bounds over the Brainwavz in isolation quality, I'd rather save myself the $70 difference.

Wasn't trying to be hostile, just... not used to this field, that's all.

Jay Sosa

Hello again!

Since for some odd reason I suddenly have planes flying over my head where I live, I'm looking for some noise cancellation headphones. Does NC even help against external plane noise and stuff like buzzsaws?

Pretty much everyone seems to agree that the Bose QC25 have the best NC around but some say that the sound quality is awful. Any truth to that or typical internet hyperbole?

I'm not shelling out nearly 300$ for headphones (some of you may roll your eyes now ;P) if it doesn't have at least decent sound quality.

Any other recommendations in that price range? Like I said most importantly is good NC and that they are comfortable.

Oh and any big difference between the over ear and the in ear variants?

TIA!

HiResDes

That page does help a bit, thanks, though I'd probably still be hard-pressed to translate my preferences in music to that terminology.

Probably just going to go with the Brainwavz, since it seems like they can handle both general music and movies, and will block out a large amount of sound from outside. I know he said the ADL H118, but unless they're leaps and bounds over the Brainwavz in isolation quality, I'd rather save myself the $70 difference.

Wasn't trying to be hostile, just... not used to this field, that's all.
No the Brainwavz are just as good isolation and sound wise, just a lot different. The Bose QC25 really do have great isolation though, even though I'm not crazy about how they sound. Over ear is definitely the way to go to answer Sosa...

Hello again!

Since for some odd reason I suddenly have planes flying over my head where I live, I'm looking for some noise cancellation headphones. Does NC even help against external plane noise and stuff like buzzsaws?

Pretty much everyone seems to agree that the Bose QC25 have the best NC around but some say that the sound quality is awful. Any truth to that or typical internet hyperbole?

I'm not shelling out nearly 300$ for headphones (some of you may roll your eyes now ;P) if it doesn't have at least decent sound quality.

Any other recommendations in that price range? Like I said most importantly is good NC and that they are comfortable.

Oh and any big difference between the over ear and the in ear variants?

TIA!
Try the oppo pm3s. They aren't active noise cancelling but they are actually good headphones and are great for isolation. Most. Comfortable headphones I've ever owned as well.

Jay Sosa

Try the oppo pm3s. They aren't active noise cancelling but they are actually good headphones and are great for isolation. Most. Comfortable headphones I've ever owned as well.

Thanks, only problem is that I listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks while in my garden and I'm afraid just simple isolation won't be enough then.

Jay Sosa

Sure do but when only listening to podcasts and such (I assume) the isolation* isn't good enough. Never tried a pair of ncs but apparently they even block all the noise without listening to anything. Might just be promo bs though.

*at least with the Klipsch 4s for instance

HiResDes

In earphones such as a pair of Shure SE215, Etymotic HF5/HF3,TDK BA200, Yamaha EPH-1000, Vsonic VC1000, and Klipsch X10 isolate extremely well and better than any passive closed headphone.

Active Noise cancelling headphones and earphones block out noise by utilizing counter noise basically, which adds a bit of distortion. Thus many audiophiles don't really love them from a value and sound quality standpoint.

Looking a good set of noise cancelling headphones (flights/home use) and I always end up at the Bose Quietcomfort 25s.

What say you?

EDIT

Looks like others have asked similarly.

Makes sense, do foams help with isolation?

Comply does help with getting a better fit, (silicon doesn't work for some ears unfortunately) but I'm not sold on them actually blocking out more noise than a good fit with silicon tips. The absolute best in terms of noise reduction is going to be a pair of Etymotics, with foam tips and deep insertion, but that's basically akin to using a pair of earplugs and it's not gonna feel comfy for a lot of people.

Jay Sosa

Comply does help with getting a better fit, (silicon doesn't work for some ears unfortunately) but I'm not sold on them actually blocking out more noise than a good fit with silicon tips. The absolute best in terms of noise reduction is going to be a pair of Etymotics, with foam tips and deep insertion, but that's basically akin to using a pair of earplugs and it's not gonna feel comfy for a lot of people.

cause of my noise sensitivity (good hearing is a blessing and a curse) I'm used to earplugs so that's fine with me. The deeper they go in the more I like it
mwahaha

EDIT: They don't seem to have the best build quality though, any other ies that are as good with isolation but sturdier(up to 100$)?

cause of my noise sensitivity (good hearing is a blessing and a curse) I'm used to earplugs so that's fine with me. The deeper they go in the more I like it
mwahaha

EDIT: They don't seem to have the best build quality though, any other ies that are as good with isolation but sturdier(up to 100$)?

For the money I'd probably go with the TDK BA200 and go with this configuration:

DSC03740.jpg

You can also use triflanges on it I think. From what I understand, the TDK is supposed to sound very similar to the Earsonics SM3, so I'd expect weighty, dynamic driver like, rounded bass, very creamy/lush mids, relaxed treble and a very 3D feeling, stage monitor like soundstage. Caveats would be that it wouldn't be a detail scalpel, the bass can feel sluggish, and the upper midrange would be scooped. They'd be great for general music listening and quite forgiving of source though.

Edit: seems like they're discontinued (?), but a good friend of mine is selling them here for $100 shipped:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762476/fs-tdk-ba200

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought these guys for my PC (in black)

kjCwRm4.jpg

Shitty name aside, Games sounds absolutely fantastic, but im impressed with just how great music sounds through them as well. I have them going through a creative Zxr sound card which has a Burr Brown dac, and together it's a pretty friggin great combo for a PC. Great option if you want a great stereo headset instead of that surround sound nonsense.

Playing one of my favorite tunes, Black Metallic by Catherine Wheel, and it never at any point feels muddy. Clear, well balanced with good bass that doesn't feel oversaturated. The highs and mids don't reach the peaks that my Bowers and Wilkins P7s do, but for $180, they're a great (not sure how they sound hooked up to mobo sound though)

Jay Sosa

For the money I'd probably go with the TDK BA200 and go with this configuration:

You can also use triflanges on it I think. From what I understand, the TDK is supposed to sound very similar to the Earsonics SM3, so I'd expect weighty, dynamic driver like, rounded bass, very creamy/lush mids, relaxed treble and a very 3D feeling, stage monitor like soundstage. Caveats would be that it wouldn't be a detail scalpel, the bass can feel sluggish, and the upper midrange would be scooped. They'd be great for general music listening and quite forgiving of source though.

Edit: seems like they're discontinued (?), but a good friend of mine is selling them here for $100 shipped:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762476/fs-tdk-ba200

thanks!

HiResDes

Bought these guys for my PC (in black)

kjCwRm4.jpg

Shitty name aside, Games sounds absolutely fantastic, but im impressed with just how great music sounds through them as well. I have them going through a creative Zxr sound card which has a Burr Brown dac, and together it's a pretty friggin great combo for a PC. Great option if you want a great stereo headset instead of that surround sound nonsense.

Playing one of my favorite tunes, Black Metallic by Catherine Wheel, and it never at any point feels muddy. Clear, well balanced with good bass that doesn't feel oversaturated. The highs and mids don't reach the peaks that my Bowers and Wilkins P7s do, but for $180, they're a great (not sure how they sound hooked up to mobo sound though)
That's actually a pretty good deal for a Sennheiser headset it seems like, but I still wonder how it would compare to the Philips SHP9500 and a Vmoda Boompro.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
You prefer a recessed midrange? You prefer less detail? Definitely get the 50x then. I prefer the Soundmagic HP150 myself, but I seem to be in the minority.

Thanks for recommending the HP150 in the last thread. I got them and love them. Auditioned the M50x and was surprised by how bad they sound compared to how I remember them.

I also got the Hm5 used for 50 bucks, Fiio e17 used for 60 bucks (all in canadian dollars )and Sony XBA Z5 (brand new) for almost 50 percent off because their retail stores were closing in canada. Also picked up a second hand IM50 for 40 bucks.

I have shifted my focus to ear buds and am loving my Baldoor E100 and am waiting to get a new high end earbud called the VE Zen. Am on its review tour and am excited :)

HiResDes

150 are more balanced with a more linear sound, though the midrange might be a tad recessed.

The M100 have a really forward aggressive midrange and more midbass presence. I don't think they're better, just different.

I prefer the 150 overall, but rock and metal are pretty rad on the M100.

You have a really nice little collection, I'm thinking about getting rid of some more stuff and investing in a Stax soon.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
150 are more balanced with a more linear sound, though the midrange might be a tad recessed.

The M100 have a really forward aggressive midrange and more midbass presence. I don't think they're better, just different.

I prefer the 150 overall, but rock and metal are pretty rad on the M100.

You have a really nice little collection, I'm thinking about getting rid of some more stuff and investing in a Stax soon.

Thanks HiResDes, I appreciate that. I started from a couple of cheap IEMS and grew by finding some cheap deals as otherwise it would be out of my reach :) (Z5 was a spur of the moment thing because I had no idea that the manager would actually give me a discount. I was like YOLO)

I am saving up for a decent amp/dac most likely either the LH GO V2, Audio GD NFB15 or O2+ODAC.

Some one is selling a second hand M100 for 150 bucks so I might sell some gear to make room for it, thanks for the breakdown :) I want something small that I can use also at the gym so that sounds about perfect.

I watched a couple of movies with the HP150 and I am surprised how well they worked for that. I used it to play some ps3 the other night and some dead rising 2 off the record and it was glorious. Perfect headphone but the treble is a tad strong sometimes but I am hoping I can get used to it with brain burn in.

I have never heard an electro stat before, are they good for metal and rock as well?

HiResDes

Thanks HiResDes, I appreciate that. I started from a couple of cheap IEMS and grew by finding some cheap deals as otherwise it would be out of my reach :) (Z5 was a spur of the moment thing because I had no idea that the manager would actually give me a discount. I was like YOLO)

I am saving up for a decent amp/dac most likely either the LH GO V2, Audio GD NFB15 or O2+ODAC.

Some one is selling a second hand M100 for 150 bucks so I might sell some gear to make room for it, thanks for the breakdown :) I want something small that I can use also at the gym so that sounds about perfect.

I watched a couple of movies with the HP150 and I am surprised how well they worked for that. I used it to play some ps3 the other night and some dead rising 2 off the record and it was glorious. Perfect headphone but the treble is a tad strong sometimes but I am hoping I can get used to it with brain burn in.

I have never heard an electro stat before, are they good for metal and rock as well?
This will be my first, but I'm thinking the speed and accuracy will be good for some genres of rock and the detail should be great for vocals, not sure how I'll feel about the treble and fast decay yet though...

Rock sounds great on stats TBH. I don't agree with Tyll on how he says rock sounds better on something darker like an LCD. Guitars lose their edge IMO. Treble on the stats is actually quite benign. It's extremely detailed but never hot or anything. Very effortless and refined in that sense. I wouldn't worry about stuff like decay either. From reading around about stats, I had somehow got in my head that the sound would be really thin, clinical, and bass lite. It's not. The midrange on the Lambda is actually quite full, lush and liquid, and since the curve is so flat, you'll hear the full spectrum of its texture rather than some wooly/muddy shit due to a midbass/sub bass hump. It also has a decent punch, which really surprised me. I think you'll be surprised by what you hear as well

So my 3 year old pair of Audio Techinica AT-A900 (closed back over ear) headphones are cracked, and I am sending them in a for repair.

However, I have been looking at upgrading recently and I am looking for suggestions.

I really love the soundstage that it provided for games and generally very much liked listening to all kinds of music on it. I am looking for an upgrade though so...

*Needs to be Closed Back, or at worst Semi Open.
*My budget is anywhere from $400 - $650.
*I would like something durable. I was looking at some of the other ATH line of headphones and it seems like they are all made of plastic in the places that cracked on my current set. I would like to avoid that, if the pricier ATH's are built from an allow or something that would be nice, but I can't find specific information. (when i said built from I specifically mean the band around the ear piece and the wings.)
*same characteristics including a comparable soundstage.

Just thought I throw out the topping nx1 as a great little starter amp and an alternative to fiio as well. Good sound, amazing battery life (I was actually surprised when it ran out of power the other day!) and decent build quality.

HiResDes

Rock sounds great on stats TBH. I don't agree with Tyll on how he says rock sounds better on something darker like an LCD. Guitars lose their edge IMO. Treble on the stats is actually quite benign. It's extremely detailed but never hot or anything. Very effortless and refined in that sense. I wouldn't worry about stuff like decay either. From reading around about stats, I had somehow got in my head that the sound would be really thin, clinical, and bass lite. It's not. The midrange on the Lambda is actually quite full, lush and liquid, and since the curve is so flat, you'll hear the full spectrum of its texture rather than some wooly/muddy shit due to a midbass/sub bass hump. It also has a decent punch, which really surprised me. I think you'll be surprised by what you hear as well
alright I'm completely satisfied sold, my girlfriend is gonna kill me

HiResDes

So my 3 year old pair of Audio Techinica AT-A900 (closed back over ear) headphones are cracked, and I am sending them in a for repair.

However, I have been looking at upgrading recently and I am looking for suggestions.

I really love the soundstage that it provided for games and generally very much liked listening to all kinds of music on it. I am looking for an upgrade though so...

*Needs to be Closed Back, or at worst Semi Open.
*My budget is anywhere from $400 - $650.
*I would like something durable. I was looking at some of the other ATH line of headphones and it seems like they are all made of plastic in the places that cracked on my current set. I would like to avoid that, if the pricier ATH's are built from an allow or something that would be nice, but I can't find specific information. (when i said built from I specifically mean the band around the ear piece and the wings.)
*same characteristics including a comparable soundstage.
Do you have an amp?

zeeaykay

My first experience with "good" headphones were my Harmon Kardon BTs. Coming from ear buds it was a transcendant experience. I had them for a few years, then my roommate accidentally snapped the headband by sitting on it. I was actually kind of relieved because I was looking at getting new ones but couldn't justify it.

Today my Phillips Fidelio X2s came in.

Uh. Wow.

I'm hearing so much more than I ever have before, and everything is clearer even at a lower volume. I can't wait to rediscovere my favorite albums with these babies. Damn have I been missing out.

Your girlfriend is gonna kill you for wasting all that time with a buncha basic, overpriced dynamic phones for years more like. You'd be surprised how much texture something that's essentially a vibrating plastic bag can convey. Moreover, the transparency through the midrange and treble will ruin you. You'll likely find yourself questioning the value proposition of most modern gear.

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_good_info.php?code=996&category=10

$488 from Japan to your door in three days via EMS Des.

You'll also need one of these polarity inverters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Adapter-...550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316e116ce

And a 12 V adaptor such as this (you can use the Japanese wall wart in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend using it for long as you could damage the amp):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VRL632/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Plug the inverter into the adaptor and you're ready to rock.

zeeaykay

Are the Fidelio X2s good enough to notice lossless vs 320kbp through my HTC M8? One of the reasons I picked this phone over others was because of the superb audio quality through headphones. I may be out of my depth here but I downloaded some lossless albums on Tidal and compared them to Google Play and struggled to hear a difference. Do I need additional equipment or are the headphones just not hifi enough to register the differences?

Sorry for the ignorant question. Thanks!

Tommy DJ

Do we have an all encompassing audiophile GAF or something? Coz this post probably won't fit in headphone GAF... but here it is anyway.

One of my buddies is raving on and on about how great the Monoprice Studio Monitors are. Now I know Monoprice makes nice cables, but I haven't used any of their Pro Audio stuff... but then I looked at the price. $170 for the pair?!?!

As much as I really loved the sound of those Mackie's I'm planning to get... those are $260 for the pair. These Monoprice monitors are almost $100 less than that, even better is MP usually has a sale every weekend or whatever that drops these to somewhere around $130... and that's still for a pair. I might actually just wait on these if the reviews are good.

Looks like a rebadged M-Audio BX5 to be to be honest. Same critical specs from crossover frequency to input sensitivity. Monoprice's asking price is more appropriate since the M-Audio BX5 is pretty mediocre for its price these days. The JBL LSR305 leaves anything under $500/pr in the dust.

So if you want to hear what the Monoprice sound like, give the M-Audio BX5 an audition at your Guitar Centre or somewhere similar.

Jay Sosa

Are the MEElectronics A151 any good?

Look ugly as hell but have (according to reviews) a clean analytic sound (I dislike bass heavy headphones) excellent isolation and almost no microphonics..almost sounds too good to be true..

Could get them for a decent price, HRD recommended me the JVC FRD80 but apparently those are a bit on the heavy side and I like my in ear to be as comfortable as possible.

Are the Fidelio X2s good enough to notice lossless vs 320kbp through my HTC M8? One of the reasons I picked this phone over others was because of the superb audio quality through headphones. I may be out of my depth here but I downloaded some lossless albums on Tidal and compared them to Google Play and struggled to hear a difference. Do I need additional equipment or are the headphones just not hifi enough to register the differences?

Sorry for the ignorant question. Thanks!

Don't sweat the lossless/320 thing. Unless you're fortunate enough to retain most of your hearing at the extremes, have access to some very revealing gear, and are intimately familiar with the test tracks and know what to actually look for, you're not likely going to be able to suss out the differences between 320/lossless in an ABX test. Hell, 192 AAC rips of a well recorded album sounds perfectly fine if I'm being honest. Just means you can cram more music onto your DAP/phone

Are the MEElectronics A151 any good?

Look ugly as hell but have (according to reviews) a clean analytic sound (I dislike bass heavy headphones) excellent isolation and almost no microphonics..almost sounds too good to be true..

Could get them for a decent price, HRD recommended me the JVC FRD80 but apparently those are a bit on the heavy side and I like my in ear to be as comfortable as possible.

$35 for the A151? Just get the Tenore and call it a day:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093VVP0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$36, free shipping via prime. It is literally unbeatable at such a stupid price

andylsun

You won't regret it for a moment. I've been away for just over a week and can't wait to get back to listening to them. Sigur Ros will be up first followed by Perplexa.

For the power supply, I checked all my spare 12V wall warts and found a regulated one and then just inverted the polarity by snipping he cable and using terminal block to put the wires back together the other way around. Checked it multiple times with my multimeter before plugging in. (STAX is centre pin negative, every wall wart I have was centre pin positive).
Once I was happy and knew it worked, I replaced the terminal block with soldered collections covered in heat shrink so I can only barely see the join.

Regulated 12V wall warts should read around 12V with both no load and under load. Unregulated wall warts will read much higher than 12V with no load, but around 12V with their rated load.

Don't try the one from japan directly on 110V. I believe they aren't regulated so will produce more than 12V

Jay Sosa

^thanks, do you other guys agree?

Keep in mind that isolation is basically the most important factor (besides good audio quality obviously)..

EDIT: Oh fuck it, I ordered them.

HiResDes

^thanks, do you other guys agree?

Keep in mind that isolation is basically the most important factor (besides good audio quality obviously)..

EDIT: Oh fuck it, I ordered them.
I'm not sure the isolation is gonna up to the standards you need, I gave you some good high isolating picks. I think the etymotics would have been best for you...

HiResDes

no external amp. Just a sound blaster Z. perhaps I should aim lower than my budget? or extend it to include an amp as well?
It's honestly going to find another closed headphone that matches those soundstage expectations... NAD Viso hp50, AKG K553, and Focal Spirit Classic, and KEF M500 are all easy to drive closed headphones with fairly big soundstage though maybe not quite as wide.

Top Bottom