• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Japan's 21st Century Top 100 Selling Games

Famitsu: Japan's 21st Century Top 100 Selling Games

Surely if they counted XBox Live downloads this list would be totally different.
No it wouldn't.

Not as crazy when you realize that even with that drop, 13-2 still sold to about 9.4% percent of its user base. That's only slightly below FF12's ratio of 11% to games/system sold. There are many ways to spin this into a positive as you could as a negative.

This does not even take into account digital sales, which to be fair were never heard of in the PS2 era.
Digital sales are insignificant in Japan, especially if you're talking about retail games like FFXIII. Attach rate for underperforming games is always considered as spin, sure FFX13-2 had a good attach rate but the numbers still show how much fans are disappointed by FFXIII.

Code:
         247,000   PSV  Persona 4 Golden                                          Atlus                 2012-06-14
         221,000   PSV  Toukiden                                                  Koei Tecmo            2013-06-27
         215,000   PSV  Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f                              SEGA                  2012-08-30

For a 2 year old system this is just sad.

yaesir

Code:
         247,000   PSV  Persona 4 Golden                                          Atlus                 2012-06-14
         221,000   PSV  Toukiden                                                  Koei Tecmo            2013-06-27
         215,000   PSV  Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f                              SEGA                  2012-08-30

For a 2 year old system this is just sad.

The Vita will need a port or an exclusive Monster Hunter to take off in Japan, that or a Dragon Quest but seeing how the DQ and MH series have had a good relationship with Nintendo in the past years I do not see that happening unless Sony is willing to buy exclusivity.

Otherwise the 3DS will just build momentum and the Vita will fall to PSP's place, which when put into a japanese perspective was not great when compared to the DS.

Oersted

The Vita will need a port or an exclusive Monster Hunter to take off in Japan, that or a Dragon Quest but seeing how the DQ and MH series have had a good relationship with Nintendo in the past years I do not see that happening unless Sony is willing to buy exclusivity.

Otherwise the 3DS will just build momentum and the Vita will fall to PSP's place, which when put into a japanese perspective was not great when compared to the DS.

Fall to PSP place? It will remain deep below.

yaesir

Fall to PSP place? It will remain deep below.

while the vita is not in a good position i think it could turn around, this generation of consoles still has years before a new one comes out and while i don't think the vita will pass the 3DS overall, i can see them making more money from it than what they are currently making.

Oersted

while the vita is not in a good position i think it could turn around, this generation of consoles still has years before a new one comes out and while i don't think the vita will pass the 3DS overall, i can see them making more money from it than what they are currently making.

You know what "fall" means, right? That it is ahead. In reality, Vita does in it best weeks numbers which would have been considered bad for PSP.

The Wii U will be fine in the long run.

Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. 4, Zelda Wii U, Bayonetta 2, X are all releasing in the next year (minus Zelda, probably 2015) and will sell a lot of systems.

Iwata keeping his 9 million figure for the end of the fiscal year is pure insanity, though.

Sure but whats coming in between these games. Your looking at months of draughts where its going to go sub 5k sales. WiiU's future is looking anything but fine in Japan.

yaesir

You know what "fall" means, right? That it is ahead. In reality, Vita does in it best weeks numbers which would have been considered bad for PSP.

i meant fall in rankings but ok. When i mean overall i mean when the vita's lifecycle ends, sure it's doing worse than the psp right now, but they could recover and sell overall more than the psp did, even when that is still not a good position to be (you don't aim to be in second place on the market).

Its no question that the vita is doing bad, but it's not over yet for sony's portable (unlike the psp which is over for the most part).

With such Nintendomination of the sales chart in previous generations this just highlights how poorly the Wii U sold to owners of earlier Nintendo hardware.

There's just no compelling reason to buy one... yet.

If Mario Kart U fails to spark interest in the system then the outlook for the system is very grim indeed. Nintendo is using up all of it's big franchise bullets on the system but the public just doesn't care.

Melchiah

I'm surprised to see so few Final Fantasy titles there. Let alone, that most of those Roman numerals started with X. Onimusha' s presence was also a surprise.

Top Bottom