• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old games with "photorealistic" graphics

Chronicles of Riddick on OG Xbox blew my mind

a95488153f93dc76b7a7a17c8e7b6e5d.jpg

chronicles_of_riddick_002.jpg

the-chronicles-of-riddick-escape-from-butcher-bay-xbox-1.jpg

SenkiDala

I remember thinking Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions looking downright amazing and filmic when I first saw it:

yG8va8h.jpg

Ooooh! I forgot about this one! Yes it was just insane, the graphics were awesome. I played it just once but never owned the game. Makes me kinda want to have it now... :(

Too bad it's not backward compatible on 360, I'd buy it, but my OG Xbox is dead.

RedSwirl

GT 1 and 2 still do it for me somehow. I think it's because those games manage to have very natural-looking lighting.

westman

No, they had better picture quality that is not being able to be reproduced in new TVs.
One reason you see all those screen filters in emulators of old consoles and computers.

They are not objectively better, people just like them.

A square pixel is a square pixel, running a scan line between them does not equate to a better picture.

Thing is, square pixels didn't appear as square pixels on a CRT. They were diffused by the phosphor pattern in a way that made individual pixels blend in much better with the neighboring pixels. The phosphor pattern also provided some texture, making surfaces look less plain. The result was somewhat fuzzy and muddled, but it did not look primitive in the way it looks when viewed on a modern display.

D4za8BX.jpg

Spladam

You might be thinking gt4. That stage actually looks pretty awesome.

Yeah, I guess it was. The first three Gran Turismo games blew me away graphically, I remember thinking how much better can it get when I bought 3 Aspec. GT was the reason I bought the PS1 and PS2.

FyreWulff

It used to almost always be racing games because cars can be made to look good with very few polygons. rip racing genre

They are not objectively better, people just like them.

A square pixel is a square pixel, running a scan line between them does not equate to a better picture.

As pointed out above, CRTs actually do a form of live color-mixing right on the display, and the graphics for older games were designed for this in mind. It's why they look so rough on modern displays.

It especially murders the display of games that used dithering on the Genesis.

Mahonay

Banned
The Xbox was literally a generation ahead of the PS2 and still much beefier than the Gamecube. It really did some amazing things all said and done.
I remember playing Morrowind on the OG Xbox feeling like a pretty impressive feat. The loads were insanely bad and it crashed constantly, but I still played it for hundreds of hours.

Getting worked by pre-release Ubisoft footage in 2017.

lol

EDIT: To actually contribute something useful to the thread. Max Payne 1 blew me away when it first came out. One of the first games I can recall that actually used photographs for the textures.

W7C97XB.jpg

BcuvOMz.jpg

kgsQ3UL.jpg

rOJmyM3

The textures in this game were quite phenomenal for their day. Another game I have to nominate is Tex Murphy Under a Killing Moon:

moon-6.png

4072-under-a-killing-moon-dos-screenshot-the-street-outside-your.gif

moon-1.png

This game was original released on DOS PC in 1994. It used a mix of live action FMV and digitized sprites with real time 3D polygon environments and it blended these two elements together really well.

Another choice is Road Rash on the Panasonic 3DO:
post-38373-0-59052600-1446295199.jpg

Yeah, the game also used digitized sprites and polygon environments. But I remember being blown away when I saw this running on a 3DO for the first time.

Virtua Cop (arcade and Sega Saturn)

Visually this game may look blocky and primitive, but the one thing that really stuck out about this game was the impressive pre-canned animation. The enemy character models had a lot of different death animation depending on where you hit the characters,. I remember being really floored by how realistic the character animation looked for the day. The death animation in this game served as inspiration for all of the pre-caned animation in Goldeneye for the N64.

Driver (PS1)

driver-image555766.jpg

64506.jpg

buick_skylark_driver-21.jpg

The original Driver on the PS1 had an oddly "photo realistic" vibe to it back in the day. The game did use a heavy amount of photo sourced textures, but also the game itself had these really weighty vehicle physics that only added to the illusion. I used to spend hours in Director Mode just making mini movies of 1970's inspired car chases.

Unknown?

First 100 hours of Gran Turismo 3, I was sure a game could NEVER look any better:

Play-Gran-Turismo-3:-A-Spec-Step-5.jpg
When I first saw GT3 at Best Buy at the demo kiosk I had to get my dad and he jokingly said, "looks better than real life" hahaha I also thought nothing could look better.

Mahonay

Banned
Splinter Cell felt pretty damn photorealistic at the time with it's insane lighting system
large2.jpg

xbox_splinter_cell_04.jpg

Then towards the end of the original Xbox's life they did it again with Chaos Theory
4.jpg

644678-921914_20050303_005.jpg

649296-921914_20050328_029.jpg

Just wanted to say this has been a fantastic stroll down memory lane. I'd encourage anyone that's already posted and still has more to contribute to DO IT!

muno

Neo Member
There was a specific TV advertisement for GT 3 that I thought was literally just real life. Until some game element appeared on screen (I think not was a 'wrong way' indicator maybe?) I honestly thought it was video. GT3 blew me away.

You mean this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_cg0WIWLmo

To answer the thread, I'd also have to agree with Gran Turismo 3. Very few games have impressed me with their photorealism since then.

35600-gran-turismo-3-a-spec-playstation-2-screenshot-tokyo-3.jpg

35586-gran-turismo-3-a-spec-playstation-2-screenshot-seattle-4.jpg

35602-gran-turismo-3-a-spec-playstation-2-screenshot-tokyo-5.jpg

DOWN

Banned
I'm blown away that OP thinks Far Cry is anything special after we've had Frostbite games looking like the second coming for a few years and Uncharted 4 / Horizon already out?

Anyway, Pirates of the Caribbean At World's End had weirdly amazing graphics because they were done by Industrial Light and Magic alongside the movies

GraveX1

Neo Member
Ninja Warriors

ninjawarriors-1.png

Firefox

hqdefault.jpg

Ninja Warriors was on three arcade monitors side by side and was high resolution for the time (80s). Firefox was a crappy shooting game atop laserdisc of scenes from the movie but I was blown away when I was a kid.

Also +1 on the Gran Turismo mentions. GT 1 through 3 all blew me away when they came out.

v4ZJNuO.png

Released a week before Crysis, so perhaps that quote might have been accurate for a short while. There were parts of it that I think were ahead of any game released at the time.

Ithil

I'm a very cynical person (or just someone who feels admiration is a form of weakness and weakness is terrifying... Yes, I'm in therapy for that) so I don't recall much making me go "wow". Mostly technical things like Total Annihilation having anti-aliasing. Also I wasn't terribly impressed by 8-bit computer games because the previous owner of my C64 loved the demoscene and there were loads of demos on those diskettes which of course blow anything actual games do out of the water.

Earth Defense Force 2 made me think "this looks properly cinematic". Mostly due to style choice though, the big, billowing explosions are so much closer to what you'd see in a movie than the flashes or expanding circles of the era. Even today it's fairly rare to see a dynamic explosion (i.e. outside of pre-scripted events) actually create black smoke in a game.

Company of Heroes was super impressive as well with blasts actually conforming to the buildings and terrain and how much detail was in RTS units up close.

I think the explosions are just animated sprites, not actual particle simulations...

This is more a "looking back at how silly we were for thinking these games looked realistic" thread, not a thread about finding actual photorealism.

Company of Heroes looked so good on release that Company of Heroes 2, which came out years later, didn't really look that much better, at least at the standard camera zoom for the game. Obvious if you zoomed in the sequel is much more advanced, but I remember being surprised at how less drastic an upgrade it ended up being visually.

Ahasverus

I made one real quick. Not the best quality but it gets the point across

giphy.gif
Ok that looks pretty fantastic.

For me that time was a few weeks ago in the screenshot thread for GT Sport. The game, of course, doesn't always look good (In fact it kinda looks very primitive in some areas) but when it nails it? Oh God it nails it. Might be the very first game that achieves, even if for a fleeting moment, total photorealism.

The tech in this game was awesome at the time, and playing it on PS3 I thought the environment details looked quite real; having gone back to it recently I realise it doesn't look amazing anymore.

la-noire-video-game-image-01.jpg

My mum saw me playing through an interrogation once and asked what film I was watching.

It's not that old but things have moved on so much since.

Good thread idea, OP!

I remember thinking this looked real:

Thought he looked like how he did on the box and also thought hearing him speak was the most amazing thing. I felt I didn't notice the cartoony look of many games back in the day as a whole. I mean, shit, I thought she looked pretty real at the time:

In the 3D era, Gran Turismo was the game I thought looked photorealistic:

And Goldeneye. Add fingers, and they might as well be real people! xD~~

Ahasverus

I wish there was a pixel perfect CRT filter for photoshop or something so we could morph the emulated screenshots into how they really looked at the time. Examples like the one above me in which "They looked better at the time" would be better understood.

Coreda

I wish there was a pixel perfect CRT filter for photoshop or something so we could morph the emulated screenshots into how they really looked at the time. Examples like the one above me in which "They looked better at the time" would be better understood.

For console releases the viewing distance was also typically farther away than computer monitors, depending on how close one sat, which helped.

Top Bottom