• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men of War PC - Let's Talk About It.

Daigoro said:
ug. ok i finally figure out how to use the middle mouse to control the camera. that helps a lot. dunno why i was being so dense about that.
god damn, thanks for this. i remember noticing the mouse wheel click when i first fired up the game, but i've already put over 30 hours in using strictly the numpad. my play improved immediately by adding middle mouse.

Daigoro

yeah, RTS noobs. :)

warbegins said:
god damn, thanks for this. i remember noticing the mouse wheel click when i first fired up the game, but i've already put over 30 hours in using strictly the numpad. my play improved immediately by adding middle mouse.

yeah, other mentioned it in the thread, but it still took me several levels to figure it out. glad it helped to read my description of it though. it really does help a lot.

im pretty sure ive used this type of camera control in other RTS games too, but not very often obviously.

30 hrs. are you playing multiplayer too, or just solo?

Grooski

Banned
Peronthious said:
So much this. Boom.

Finally got past the train loading mission yesterday afternoon. Those last ten percent were pretty nuts :lol I was doing fine until they rolled something like five tanks in at once, and I didn't have enough mines or anti-tank grenades in position. Took out a few, but if I had been 5% behind I'd have lost the mission.

Literally finished that mission with the train taking off leaving 3 tanks firing at the caboose :lol Another 10 secs and it was all over.

I love the hold the line at Moscow mission, so much boom-age :)

Himajin

I only just scraped through the train loading mission because I caught a lucky break and captured an enemy tank that was immobilized but still had a working turret.

Although those massive missions are great fun, I like the small squad ones like P.O.W. or the night mission where you have to take out the enemy artillery best, as you actually have time to manage inventory and take your time working out a strategy.

demon arm

Himajin said:
I only just scraped through the train loading mission

Barely beat the train loading mission a couple of days ago after having repeatedly and miserably failed the first time I played it on release.

Since then, I've replayed it several times, optimising mine and artillery placement, repairing and stealing german tanks, blowing up sheds to steal cover from the enemy, etc. Really wouldn't mind if it was the ONLY level in the whole game, it's so wonderfully challenging and offers so many possibilities.

Himajin

Land stand took me a few tries as well, even on easy. If you can hold back the first waves long enough, the rest seems to go smoothly. I used lots of mines at choke points, and that seemed more effective at keeping their tanks at bay than more AT guns.

Reikon

The train mission is great stuff. My friends and I played it on hard, and we beat it with only a few infantry left. We then decided to continue playing and pushed back with our few infantry until we took control of the map. Good times. :D

Llyranor

Borg's Last Stand is awesome! I remember losing badly in that one too!

Himajin said:
I only just scraped through the train loading mission because I caught a lucky break and captured an enemy tank that was immobilized but still had a working turret.

Although those massive missions are great fun, I like the small squad ones like P.O.W. or the night mission where you have to take out the enemy artillery best, as you actually have time to manage inventory and take your time working out a strategy.
If you enjoy the smaller scale missions, you might want to give Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 a try (it's the first game of the series for which Men of War is the 3rd). 10 bucks or less on GOG/Steam/etc. Most of the missions have you controlling 4 units or less, and there's base infiltration and such. Some aspects of the physics/vehicles are less toned down in it as well (a lot more of the buildings are destructible overall compared to Men of War, and vehicles are usually a lot more repairable (whereas the tanks in Men of War are mostly dead once anything besides the turret gets damaged).

Daigoro said:
30 hrs. are you playing multiplayer too, or just solo?
lots of coop with Red Tide solo mixed in. mp sounds daunting as fuck :lol

any of you experienced with the competitive stuff? some gaf games might be a good way to get the feet wet.

Played the first mission on coop with a friend online yesterday.

We got slaughtered three times. First at the MG42 outpost. Then we got the tank, he drove it while I provided cover fire with a rifleman squad from behind. We got pwned. Then we cleared the town and headed for the hill. I took my riflemen for a swim to the island on the west and he drove in with the tank while I covered him with sniper fire. Well that was the plan but it turned out I was out of range and he got hit by some anti armor grenades, got immobilized. I tried to swim across the river but got shot like ducks. He managed to kill the nazis at the outpost and repair his tank, but then the convoy came and kicked our asses all over the place once again.

And this was on easy. :lol

We loved it, but not having headsets really hurt our coordination. We'll try again with headsets tonight. Mmm.

Joseph Merrick said:
only because it's still a "beta" version though. actually I'm not sure if they're ever going to get it finalised. they seem to only be working on the multiplayer through the new assault squad expansion now.
"Beta" or not, it seems to be what everyone plays online so maybe it would be nice if Steam put it up soon!

Until then you're going to have to follow the instructions

Himajin

Llyranor said:
Some aspects of the physics/vehicles are less toned down in it as well (a lot more of the buildings are destructible overall compared to Men of War, and vehicles are usually a lot more repairable (whereas the tanks in Men of War are mostly dead once anything besides the turret gets damaged).

Thanks for the heads-up. If it's anywhere near as good as MoW I'll definitely look into it.

So the predecessor has even better destructible environments? I thought that pretty much anything on the map was destructible in MoW as well? I've had pretty good luck with tank repairs also. I ended up repairing the tracks of one of the heavy Russian tanks on the winter mission 5 times in a row.

Llyranor

A lot in MoW is destructible (but there have been many instances where I found a building to just not be so), just not to the same extent as it is in Soldiers (though there is still the occasional undestructible structure). Same thing for tank repairs; there's quite more leeway in Soldiers. If anything other than turret or tracks gets damaged in MoW, you can say goodbye to that tank.

MoW is the better game; there have been some major interface/AI overhauls, and I also prefer it in terms of overall level/mission design. Soldiers just has a different focus (small scale). Often it's just your squad vs the entire enemy base. In that aspect, MoW just isn't as strong.

The usual RTS key bind of CTRL+# for assigning squad numbers and recalling them by pressing their squad # doesn't seem to work with Men of War and it's driving me nuts.. How is it handled in this game?

Also, it really annoys me that pressing I brings up the inventory but pressing it again doesn't make the pop-up go away - you have to press ESC and apparently there's no GUI button such as an X to click on and close it either. Pet peeve I know but, grr.. it annoys me.

Finally finished the first mission, now on the train mission and FUUUUUU...

Daigoro

yeah, i need to try the last stand again. mines would be a great idea, but i feel so pressured for time i havent set any up at all.

it beat me twice so far. about time to go back in for a third try.

tahrikmili said:
The usual RTS key bind of CTRL+# for assigning squad numbers and recalling them by pressing their squad # doesn't seem to work with Men of War and it's driving me nuts.. How is it handled in this game?

Also, it really annoys me that pressing I brings up the inventory but pressing it again doesn't make the pop-up go away - you have to press ESC and apparently there's no GUI button such as an X to click on and close it either. Pet peeve I know but, grr.. it annoys me.

Finally finished the first mission, now on the train mission and FUUUUUU...

its Shift+# to assign a squad. and there is a n X so you can manually close the inventory windows. you can also drag any window around to anywhere on the screen.

Daigoro

ug this Last Stand mission is killing me.

i feel like i need to turn the game speed down all of a sudden and im not happy about it.

I figure this is the official Men of War thread, so: patch 1.17.5 has added a bunch of new maps. Anyone tried these out yet?

Change Log said:
Patch 1.17.5:
* fixed
. balancing
+ new
! planned
* fixed bug with distant mine planting
* fixed bug with high speed deminers
* game no longer hangs after exit to lobby
* improved game memory protection from external changes (anti-cheating)
* small fixes in "Hall of Fame"
* "Tanks only" mode improved (integrated mod TTmod_Pro from Pheonix)
* fixed bug with undestructible USA mgun
* fixed bug with Sherman "Jumbo" animation
. Frontline: increased CP from 100 to 120 for attacking side
. Frontline: increased score for flag capture from 250 to 300
. BM-13 and Sdkfz4 reactive mines now have lower fly trajectory
+ Added new maps:
Ardennes
Bridges quartet
Country
Country roads
Country side
Dead hills
Desert hills
Disaster
Gold rush

Man, this game is hard (even on normal), but really fun. Picked it up in the Steam Christmas sale and I'm glad I did. I notice there seems to be a decent amount of mods available for this.

Any recommendations?

Top Bottom