• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does this get past Q&A? Geralt horse sandwich

longdi

Banned
1jvehaX.jpg

I cant kill the horses
I cant call magic
I cant invisible my way past them.
Had to reload.

Tbf, i was hopping from roof to roof, looking for potential secrets

Nerd talk: first time in Novigrad thanks to 50% Steam sales. Performance is smooth at max settings(except hairwoks) at 1200p borderless. 8 cores CPU doing the god's work.

Cess007

The 2 most probable scenarios:

- Nobody found that while testing the massive game that The Witcher 3 is.
- Somebody reported the bug but it was marked as WNF due the behavior nor being the normal for a player or the bug deemed too minor to bother fixing it.

SharkJAW

Now you understand the difficulty of QA for massive open world games.
This reminded me of that PSN show "The Tester" where people competed to be a QA person for Sony. I can't imagine enjoying the job at all. I wonder how the winners turned out.

Coreda

Have you tried Axii'ing the horses? Not sure if it can be done on those inside the city but outside it makes any horse ridable.

mieumieu

The 2 most probable scenarios:

- Nobody found that while testing the massive game that The Witcher 3 is.
- Somebody reported the bug but it was marked as WNF due the behavior nor being the normal for a player or the bug deemed too minor to bother fixing it.

Or fixing it may lead to rocking the boat and spawn other maybe even more serious bugs if not handled properly. Also because the game is massive.

Coreda

This isn't Assassin's Creed.

Still fun figuring out ways to get atop structures that have no paths provided by the game. I went through a period between HoS and B&W rooftop exploring on various key landmarks. There are only a few chests that I can remember placed on rooftop areas though, the rest is just finding new paths to areas not meant to be found/triggered until later and enjoying it for its own sake.

BADMAN

QA always getting blamed :(

Open world is almost impossible to properly QA. On top of that they may have found the bug but the devs labeled it as a low priority.

watershed

Banned
It's not that it got past QA, it's that the developer and publisher prioritized other fixes and weren't willing to delay the game for further QA that could have addressed this issue. For big open world games like this, QA doesn't miss horse bugs like this so much as prioritize fixing other stuff. It's unfortunate but true.

Wozzer

I can anticipate how it got past Q&A; I expect they just never got asked a question related to this scenario so therefore didn't have an answer for it.

More to the intention of the thread though; as someone in the QA space its always surprising to so commonly see assumptions that a random defect existing in retail ultimately being a QA fault. Typically that they didn't encounter the defect. Given its an open world game that's entirely possible, but it's far more common to see defects, especially of this nature, raised by QA and dismissed at a slew of various production phases.

Take too much time and/or money to resolve? 'Will not fix'
An expected technical limitation of the engine and/or level design? 'Working as intended'
Assumed to occur for such a small volume of players? 'Known Shippable'

BothUntimelyBird.gif

And this can go on and on and on... A project of this scale will see thousands of defects raised with extensive test passes; and you can expect there will be hundreds that release knowingly and very much intended. That said the polish of Witcher 3 in particular is fantastic for the scale, ambition and development timeline of the game.

Top Bottom