• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did you get into videogames?

gelf

My school had BBC Micro computers and we were allowed to play games on it if we finished our work early. I don't even recall what games I played other then some space exploration text adventure thing but that started my interest. I wanted a computer at home and eventually we got an Atari STFM which came with a huge pack of 30+ games and I was hooked. My early time on the system was spent playing a lot of Bomb Jack, Eliminator and Space Harrier.

Xenthar

Atari 2600 first, because my parents were freaking cool, and i played asteroid like hell not even knowing was i was doing and a bunch of other game, then we had coleco vision , but then the mother fuckin NES came. Fell in love.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I played Space Invaders for hours some time when my mom worked in a bar and couldn't find day care.

My grandparents were into the various pong TV variants. I was an Atari 2600 user and an Atari Fan Club member.

Later, I babysat for a family that had a C64 with a lot of Epyx games. I copied a lot of them (piracy admitted!) and launched a long-term campaign on my parents to get a computer.

Cracklox

That would be my older bro mostly. I was pretty in to sports and doing outside stuff as a kid, but my bro was always inside playing games going back to c64 and Amiga days. Given I grew up in a pretty cold and rainy part of the world you sort of needed an indoor hobby as well anyway

Koren

First contact would probably be this:
250px-Chef-G%27n-W.png

or the Pong machine my parents had... (pretty sure it's the first even if the pong machine is older...)

marcincz

In 1985 my dad bought Atari 65XE in a shop. Behind the iron curtain (I live in Poland) we have special shops called Pewex, which has many luxury items from the West, like Lego, VHS, candies, etc.Of course other shops haven't got this things and you need to have American Dollars to buy in Pewex. Besides other currencies, than Polish Zloty was forbidden in this time in Poland. Our Soviet "friends" keep a tight rein on us.

bigjig

First experience with gaming was PC gaming in the early 90s. Dad needed a fairly souped up PC for CAD work which ran games well. He was really into flight sims, I think the first one my brother and I played was Red Baron.

Ravelle

I'm pretty sure educational games such as Sesame street and Word Rescue were my first games on my dads IBM computer, then moved on to Wacky Races, Tomb Raider, Duke 3D etc.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
My best friend's older brother had a Commodore 64

SOLD

notaskwid

My cousin had a pc with Elifoot, Doom and Fifa 96(4?) that I liked to play with and my next door neighboor had a MegaDrive with Sonic, so I got my aunt to buy me a Famiclone.
Then my neighboor got a PS1 and I absolutely wanted that, so eventually when it was cheaper and I was around 8 (1999~) I got one and went from there.
I'd say that the game that really made me love games was Finql Fantasy IX, though at the timre my first ps1 game was Tekken 3, which I had already played 2 in my neighboor's house.

uncle bought me a psx and the rest is history.
This is me. Well he bought a SNES and he lived with us at the time, so I would spend my time playing super Mario World, which I loved.

However then my aunt broke the SNES and I was real sad. Eventually my uncle bought me a PS1 not long after that happened and it was pretty much a done deal, gamer for life now.

My parents bought my sister a ZX Spectrum. Played Rainbow Islands and Bruce Lee to death.

Shortly after, I got my NES and and my neighbour got a Sega Master System. That's how it all started.

Mexen

My late aunt was a fashion designer and often left the country to buy material and such. On one of her trips, she came back with an Ending Man and called my cousins and I to the living room. That's how it all started.

Croash

Christmas 1997, I had turned 5 in November and my father wanted to get me more than a traditional toy, so he looked into the latest, coolest electronic devices.

Turns out he picked the PlayStation, and a random game that had kid friendly art, with no advice whatsoever.

That was Crash Bandicoot 2 (oh boy 6 days to go until the remake. Almost 20 years later for me). Well played, dad!

So that day I unwrapped two gifts, a big box thing with a PlayThingy, and a FUCKING AWESOME TINTIN PLUSHIE. Omg Tintin omg so cool.

They told me that as soon as they plugged it in and started fooling around with the controller, moving Crash, I stopped playing with Tintin and my eyes couldn't leave the TV. They also said that during those first few weeks I'd often play standing up and every time Crash jumped, so did I.

Safe to say that I was mesmerized. With other games like Hercules or Lucky Luke later on, I'd relive my favorite animated movies and comics, so again, sweet choices for a kid, dad!

A friend also had a PS1, we shared games and played multiplayer, the rest is history.

Hell before the PS2 was released I'd already played on an uncle's Atari 2600 and cousin's NES without a clue about what retro gaming meant, it was just a big blur of games to me, no generation distinction. Helped me be very curious about it all.

Krooner

The arcade version of 'Double Dragon' is probably my earliest gaming memory, a friend had the old wooden Atari console too, I might of played that first.

Vibed

My mom and I would travel back and forth cross country a lot when I was 3 or 4, so I took an interest in the rentable N64s and SNES in hotels like the Holiday Inn. I was racking up such a bill so quickly that I soon got my own 64 with a bunch of great games from a hobby shop! Soon after I got a GBA for Christmas to fill my time on roadtrips.

Received a SNES with Street Fighter 2 in the early 90s. The rest is history.

I actually don't play that much anymore, but I'm hooked to the industry.

Naar

My mom used to play the MSX (PC engine) almost daily when I was a kid. She would play games like Nemesis (Gradius), Knightmare, and other games from Konami.

She stopped after a few years, but I continue the legacy :p

SigSig

My neighbours sister had an SNES. I didn't really have a concept of what videogames were back then (only ever saw some on TV but I guess I didn't really "got" them), just watched her play Mario World and F-Zero for a bit, asked if I could play and had my mind blown.
A few months later, I had my mind blown the second time, when I saw (and played) Mario 64.
Fast forward some weeks and I'm knee-deep in the Pokémon craze, catching 'em all and playing Tetris all the time on my Gameboy.

rockxas

Neo Member
My dad once brought home Putt Putt Saves the Zoo and I was immediately hooked. I assume that's where my insatiable hunger for adventure games comes from.

Brother is 2 year older than me and always remember having a console around with the genesis being the first one. Remember street of rage and golden axe. Parents have never touched a video game so brother probably fought a good fight to convince them.

venomenon

1991, age 5.
I regularly hung out with the neighbour's kid. One day, his older brother shooed us from the TV in order to connect a strange device that turned out to be the Sega Master System II. This was the very first contact and to this day I vividly remember being fascinated by Alex Kidd.

I got the Master System for christmas that year and that was the start of a lifelong addiction. Interestingly, my parents had already bought an Atari 2600 as a present before I even knew video games existed. This was shortly after the German reunification and since there had been nothing like that in East Germany, the 2600 was pretty popular at the time around here. Well, they realised how outdated it was in comparison to the Master System and got me that instead.

Kimgaz

Neo Member
My friend had a PlayStation and I played a lot of interesting games with him. Then my dad bought me a PSX of my own and had it modded. I had like 30 games right away and to this day I haven't finished every game.

First experience was probably a Pong-like machine my uncle got in the late '70s. My younger brother then had an Atari 2600 and I used to play various games like Defender and Galaxians in arcades (we lived in a seaside resort). Things really clicked when my uncle got an Atari 800 in 1982, the games on that blew my mind. I got an 800XL myself in 1984 and was well and truly hooked.

meppi

My mom owned a small pub so I basically grew up in one.
My first memory is actually playing a black & white Space Invaders cabinet with cellophane overlay to create colours. I must have been 3 at the time.

RUMYU5I.jpg

Every couple of months the arcade board would be swapped out with another one and so I got to play tons of classic arcade games all the time growing up.
No wonder my favourite type of game still remains arcade style ones.

Went from Space Invaders to Asteroids, Galaga, Galaxian, Gaplus, Burgertime, Blaster, Circus Charly, Roc 'N Rope, Elevator Action!, Wonderboy, Time Pilot, Gyruss, Track and Field, Pacman, Xevious, Elevator Action, 1942, Rush N Attack, Gun.Smoke, Commando, Kung Fu, and the list goes on and on.

A couple years later, my sister, who is 8 years older than me, got a Microvision.

zibKkoV.jpg

Which I played a ton more than her.

It wasn't till I was 8 years old that I got my very first system of my own, a Popeye Game & Watch.

0zBRhxa.jpg

Then finally, somewhere in 1987 I got this little beauty and I've played and owned pretty much every console since.

wYqASn6.jpg

Gulz1992

I believe I was 4 years of age. I watched my older brother and sister play computer games. My parents then got us Lego Island and it was the first game I played for an extensive amount of time and got me hooked to video games.

The Pong and Atari 2600 games I'd seen at friends' houses were cool and all, but nothing that made me NEED to have a game console at home. But when I witnessed Super Mario Bros at another friend's house, I was so hooked. That game captured my imagination like nothing before it.I

I am pretty sure I had some sort of weird console when I was very little. It was called "Sega Mega" but it had a ton of preinstalled Nintendo games. Me and friends mostly played Super Mario, some tanks game and something called "The Goonies".

But while this thing was fun, what probably propelled me was my mom taking me to a "Playstation Arcade" when I was about 8 or 9. I was a huge fan of Disney's Hercules when I was young so naturally I asked if they have a Hercules game.

The second I got this thing in my hands I had the biggest fucking smile you've ever seen on a child. I stayed in that arcade for 2 hours and despite not being able to defeat the centaur I had an insane amount of fun.

Some months later I got my own Playstation with Hercules, Tarzan, Tekken 3 and a Need for Speed game. The rest is history.

My father bought an Amstrad CPC 6128 which I enjoyed plenty but games still sucked.

Then I went to the house of a friend who had a matter system and I was like "whsaat the fuuuuck"

Then I bought a mega drive.

silva1991

I remember playing captain Tsubasa on Famicom back in the day, so probably that

hqdefault.jpg

After that, the first console my father bought me was Sega mega.

Triteon

Some of my earliest memories are Atari games and arcade games.

But I really chose to into videogames when my family was part of an indoor cricket league and part of the complex had arcade games when I was around 7 or 8. I was given a dollar or two (20 cents a game) and I would always play Cabal, Operation Wolf, Shadow Warriors/Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon.

I then got a C64 and it became my primary hobby.

PinballRJ

2nd grade I traded my copy of Mario Land 2 for Pokemon Red, that got me into RPGs

5th grade my parents got me a Genesis at a flea market, got me into retro games

In high school I started listening to podcasts and visiting gaming forums

Now I'm here...

ActWan

My parents let me play some oldschool games on an old PC when I was like 5...Lemmings, Dangerous Dave, Commander Keen, the first stage of the first Leisure Suit Larry...

Nyx

My parents owned a bar which had arcade machines like Pong, Pac-Man and Asteroids. I loved them as a kid and so my parents bought me an Atari 2600.

The rest is history.

Started off being taught how to play games from about 2YO with my older brothers on their ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64.

Got a NES for my 4th Birthday in 88, which was the first system that was specifically my own, though.

4 years old, my first game was that godawful Back to the Future NES game. Even when I was four it kinda sucked.

I played a few NES games, but my real awakening came at 8 years old. We went to the Browser Game Center near our house to buy Magic: The Gathering cards and they had 'rent-by-hour' computers there. Starcraft and Unreal Tournament had just come out. Fell in love with both. That's when I started getting serious about gaming.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
friend had a C64 so I asked for one the next Christmas, but the real passion came with the Super Nintendo back in 1991, love at first sight

Top Bottom