• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underwater monsters are the worst (OP's example: Mario games)

EndMerit

I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy this week, and for all the praise the game gets (and admittably seems to mostly deserve) for being super innovative for it's time and whatnot, the game has some god-awful camera controls that I was not prepared for. Try to center your camera, for example, when you're on the backside of a small planet facing left and your guess of what will happen, if anything, is as good as anyone else's. Also, precision platforming from sometimes-kind-of-from-the-side-but-not-really camera angle is about as easy and enjoyable as you'd expect. But I digress, I'm not writing an LTTP here.

Yesterday I got to Beach Bowl Galaxy (first underwater level) and was once again reminded of the eldritch horrors that are underwater monsters in Mario games.
So let's take a look at few:

468009-underwater.jpg

Fair enough, let's start with something tolerable. Cheep Cheeps usually exist to swim to the left, and that's about it. However, there exist bigger and more agressive breeds that have no problem making time in their busy schedule to also swim up or down toward you, not to mention actually turning around and chasing you. These beast want Mario in their bellies, Dopefish-style, and you cannot afford not being careful when you're sharing the screen with one.

BigBerthaDS.png
CartoonBigBertha.jpg

Thanks Nintendo

Dopefish-windope.png

Remember Dopefish? He's dope. Commander Keen's on 75% sale right now on Steam, people.

Anyway, moving on.
Those white squids? They're Bloopers. Don't confuse them with those cool kids that hang out in Neo-Shibuya and party overnight while fighting over whether Hamburgers or Carrots are better: NO, these Swindlers Of Progress will attack you with their unpredictable swimming patterns and if you cannot out-maneuver them you will soon bare Resentment towards their kind.
Bloopers are usually pretty small with the look of emotionless murderer in their eyes, but once again bigger and more... unnerving individuals exist in the dark depths of Mushroom Kingdom's oceans.

PMTTYD_tentacle_screenshot.png

800px-Blooper_DRRMarioMixs.png

Look at this beast!!

ANYWAY that's enough of the jobber-class, let's talk about eels.

tumblr_md8uhoIhk01ru09vqo1_500.gif

Mario64.jpg

Super Mario 64 is a videogame for kids of 3 years and older.

Unagis are deep-sea eel monsters that live in caves and survive by eating any Marios that dare wander too close to their homes. Fortunately the mere sight of these eels usually causes Marios to instantly die of heart attack, rendering the consumption painless for them.
As if that wasn't enough, adult Unagis are practically invincible. You could drive over them with a car and they wouldn't flinch.
NSMB_World_8-3.png

FrMr033.png

You can bet you're number 2 when against one of these monsters.

Then there's Eely-mouth.

pAyeUy.gif

And finally, let's bring it all back to Super Mario Galaxy and Gringills
latest

WHY!?

And that's my argument.

Feel free to sidetrack this thread by listing other games' horrible deep-sea monstrosities. Ecco the Dolphin and Emerald Weapon from FFVII are my personal (anti-)favourites.

BouncyFrag

I hate slaughter fish in Elder Scrolls games. Getting attacked from behind always startles me what with the violent sound effect and whap!!!! felt through my controller.

The underwater 'beings' in Inside are disturbing as fuck.

Edit: so many 'nopes' in the next post.

Toxi

Banned
Honestly, video game underwater monsters pale in comparison to the real thing.

26hOw.gif

But back to games, I think Shadow of the Colossus had a pretty eerie one.

75237-202095-WaterColossusjpg-620x.jpg

bk_snacker.png

This thing....

You have no idea how many times I instantly shut down my n64 as a kid whenever I fell into water in this level. I blame BK for my water deepness / creatures phobia

pAyeUy.gif

Surprisingly for me I managed to do this part of Mario Sunshine as a kid... while gripping my controller so tight my hands were white and sweaty with a 150 heartrate.

Once you figure out that one or two crossbow bolts will kill them, the underwater enemies like Drowners and Sirens in Witcher 3 are easy to dispatch. But I'll be goddamned if I'm not still scared to death of diving into deep waters in that game. Don't know if there's something worse there....

Still have nightmares about the water based SotC colossi

I don't know where I heard it, but there was a rumor that Dorrie would eat Mario if he was in front of it too long and it made scared of it for the longest time.

I find SoTC's water collosi to be surprisingly tame for me though, dunno why. Maybe it's because it never really tries to bite you and you can cling to it? Makes me feel safer. Also that eel is the only thing there

You have no idea how many times I instantly shut down my n64 as a kid whenever I fell into water in this level. I blame BK for my water deepness / creatures phobia

pAyeUy.gif

Surprisingly for me I managed to do this part of Mario Sunshine as a kid... while gripping my controller so tight my hands were white and sweaty with a 150 heartrate.

Wow same on both accounts of BK creating a water phobia (Clanker's Cavern for me) and the Sunshine part.

Once you figure out that one or two crossbow bolts will kill them, the underwater enemies like Drowners and Sirens in Witcher 3 are easy to dispatch. But I'll be goddamned if I'm not still scared to death of diving into deep waters in that game. Don't know if there's something worse there....

Still have nightmares about the water based SotC colossi

...I... I see. I may or may not rethink my desire to play the Witcher series...

ALSO

hqdefault.jpg

fuck these guys

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
cu2ad3J.jpg

Fighting him was a pain in the ass.

Lagiacrus is kind of a pain underwater, but once you endure and get it on land, it's a cinch. I will say that I'm happy they're done with underwater battles in MH.

lazyguy

I think Video games are to blame for my light hydrophobia as a kid.
And 3D platformers where the king of scaring the crap out of you even thinking about getting in the water.
Banjo, Mario 64, Ratchet and clank, jak and daxter and so many more just told me that if I was in the water for too long something big and scary was going to fuck me up.
To this day when I play those games and jump in the water I get extremely nervous.

woopWOOP

Yeah, pretty sure this kind of videogame stuff is why I have this uncomfortable feel for the deep dark underwater, both in games and in real life. Even tho Shantae: Risky's Revenge didn't have any big underwater monsters, diving so deep in certain areas made me really nervous.

Anyway, aside from the SM64 eel and BK shark for me there was:

Those awful tentacle monsters in Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire. Whenever one was close it'd make this awful sound to let you know you were gonna be tentacle food

One of Yoshi's Story's ocean stages had this long spikey creature chasing you around in seperate enclosed areas.

More recently, Rain World has a lot of horror trying to hunt and eat you. This includes underwater horror

I've seen this amazing gif of a game on GAF... where you're in a ship underwater, sending out sonar pulse at what appears to be a sunken battleship... and then the fucking 'battleship' starts moving with MASSIVE legs. Turns out its some sort of giant nightmare crab beast. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It might be the scariest looking thing I've ever seen in a game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've seen this amazing gif of a game on GAF... where you're in a ship underwater, sending out sonar pulse at what appears to be a sunken battleship... and then the fucking 'battleship' starts moving with MASSIVE legs. Turns out its some sort of giant nightmare crab beast. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It might be the scariest looking thing I've ever seen in a game.
You're thinking of Diluvion.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/446790/Diluvion/

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The Loch Ness Monster ripoff in Mario 64 used to scare the hell out of me. It's not even hostile, lol.

The Shadow of the Colossus monster was some next level terror though. I think doing that fight helped me slightly overcome my thalassophobia. Mustering up the courage to jump in was actually really hard to do.

images

Emerald Weapon in FFVII gets me eveytime. It creeps around the ocean and can surprise you while you're exploring the depths. It's super powerful as well.

daTRUballin

bk_snacker.png

This thing....

Well, if there's one person who would certainly make sense to post in this particular thread, it's you. Color me unsurprised. ;p

But yeah, seriously. Fuck Snacker. And that eel from Mario 64. I'm always actually surprised by people being scared of Clanker. He never bothered me as a kid. *shrug*

Top Bottom