• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Smiles and Cries said:
thanks

hmmm that sucks any chance the new ones would support these streaming media formats

I am going to the lab today SPECIFICALLY to beat the answer to this question out of someone because I need to know it myself.

Chorazin

Nick said:
I really hope that Apple pushes for OTA downloads on the iPhone iTunes music store. With 3G on the way, I'm sure this is a very real possibility.

Apple said that iTunes remains WiFi only, because the record industry will want more than 99 cents a song from OTA downloads.

Chorazin said:
Apple said that iTunes remains WiFi only, because the record industry will want more than 99 cents a song from OTA downloads.

The record industry is totally insane. They don't front the bandwidth or network costs, yet somehow the exact same music file is somehow worth more when sent OTA as opposed to over the internet. Just totally insane. I'm having trouble trying to analogize it, it's that crazy.

Chorazin said:

I'm fairly sure the network providers want their own large cut, too. There's a reason why we've seen so many 2.99 ringtone initiatives...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
StrikerObi said:
The record industry is totally insane. They don't front the bandwidth or network costs, yet somehow the exact same music file is somehow worth more when sent OTA as opposed to over the internet. Just totally insane. I'm having trouble trying to analogize it, it's that crazy.
It's not about the bandwidth, it's about their power to enable a new market to form - OTA music sales. It comes with it's own particular advantages (download music "anytime, anywhere") and where there's a benefit to the consumer, there's a chance to ask for more money. It's perverse, but it's the way the industry thinks: monetize EVERYTHING.

ant1532 said:
Was there any word on MMS messaging in the new update or in the 3G??

Video recording a no go I'm guessing?

signs point to no :(

my hope is some stable 3rd party apps will show up that'll allow us to do it

ant1532

Banned
bdizzle said:
signs point to no :(

my hope is some stable 3rd party apps will show up that'll allow us to do it
Would it even be possible for an official third party to put it out through apple since it would interfere with sms plans or something ?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's really pathetic that there's no MMS, copy/paste...native video recording, flash support.

I mean, really. What are the technical limitations, if any that prevent such features from being a part of the iPhone's repertoire?

ant1532 said:
Would it even be possible for an official third party to put it out through apple since it would interfere with sms plans or something ?

There's a 3rd party app for jail broken iPhones called SwirlyMMS. That's what I use but it's not intuitive, buggy as hell, crashes the phone, etc....other than it works perfectly :lol

here's the site:
http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/apps/mms/

There's supposed to be a video recording app, but as far as i know, development pretty much stopped. I think there was a falling out between devs (someone stole someone's code or some shit like that).

either way, hopefully the App store will provide some goodies. I'm just hoping they're free, but who knows :(

DaCocoBrova said:
It's really pathetic that there's no MMS, copy/paste...native video recording, flash support.

I mean, really. What are the technical limitations, if any that prevent such features from being a part of the iPhone's repertoire?

who knows apple's reasoning behind it. I figured mms and video recording, etc would be in the iphone 2.0 as one of the reasons to upgrade, but it seems nothing more than the old iphone w/ 3g. in the WWDC thread when complaints about no mms were made everyone kept saying "mms is old tech, just email it!!!!" in reality I dont know anyone with a phone that has email on it. MMS is still relevant and video recording is still relevant. was on my POS razr, but somehow the iphones too leet to offer it....smh

DaCocoBrova

bdizzle said:
There's a 3rd party app for jail broken iPhones called SwirlyMMS. That's what I use but it's not intuitive, buggy as hell, crashes the phone, etc....other than it works perfectly :lol

here's the site:
http://www.swirlyspace.com/iphone/apps/mms/

I had it installed, but you have to enable MMS via AT&T which comes at a whopping $20 a month.

The view my message thing they got going is so dumb, it's retarded. It doesn't even come up for me on the phone, and even on a regular PC, the pic is small as hell.

And why does my bank, daily motion and a host of other sites out there have iphone-specific web pages that work perfectly with the phone, but AT&T...does not? Boggles the mind.

StrikerObi said:

It's actually worse than that. It's not like OTA isn't the Internet. It is! It's just a different way of connecting to it. It's like saying the song costs should be different for broadband vs. dial-up users.

DaCocoBrova said:
I had it installed, but you have to enable MMS via AT&T which comes at a whopping $20 a month.

The view my message thing they got going is so dumb, it's retarded. It doesn't even come up for me on the phone, and even on a regular PC, the pic is small as hell.

And why does my bank, daily motion and a host of other sites out there have iphone-specific web pages that work perfectly with the phone, but AT&T...does not? Boggles the mind.

lol the funny part is viewmymessage.com is a kodak website, it's not even owned or run by att. The funnier part is the site is flash based, so you couldnt view the pictures on the phone anyways. I unlocked my phone and switched to Cincinnati Bell, 90/month for unlimited everything. Having AT&T for those couple months sucked, bills were like 120/mo for only 900 minutes.

They could easily make a way to have pictures downloaded to the phone. Have a client that DL's the pictures to the phone, or at the least make a iPhone page for the site. Hopefully the App store will fix those issues
on the real i think you assed out tho fam

T-Mobile has unlimited text and MMS for $15, so Swirly works pretty well for me, except that like you said, it sucks as a program. The version has been 0.X all this time. And they've said for a while that a vastly improved v1.0 was imminent (actually it's been late for weeks now), but then earlier today they announced that they've released a closed beta, and the final 1.0 is still weeks away AND it will cost $8.

Duane Cunningham said:
T-Mobile has unlimited text and MMS for $15, so Swirly works pretty well for me, except that like you said, it sucks as a program. The version has been 0.X all this time. And they've said for a while that a vastly improved v1.0 was imminent (actually it's been late for weeks now), but then earlier today they announced that they've released a closed beta, and the final 1.0 is still weeks away AND it will cost $8.

What? $8? Well I guess if thats what it takes to get a decent MMS solution on the iPhone I'll pay for it. I hope it's not like the current app, cause I can't see myself paying money for buggy code.

Sorry this isn't exactly the right thread but...I haven't at all been into the iPod and iPhone craze and I'm considering getting an iPod. Don't want to spend much. Are iPod Shuffles garbage, or what's the story on them?

Futureman

I'm probably gonna stop by the AT&T store after work and just ask there, but I had a question.

So I'm on a family plan right now and I was eligible for a new phone upgrade in January, which I did. I'm I screwed, or would I be able to get a new iPhone next month for the subsidized price? What would the data plan that's required do to the monthly bill we pay for the family plan? Would it just be an additional $30 on top of the current bill?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Hey my GF just showed me a snippet from the kathy griffen d list show and wozniak was her date to some award show, he showed her how to jail-break he iPhone in the back of the limo :lol

Wait, holy shit.

For $30 you don't even get text messages?

You have to pay $15 a month more than the iPhone 1.0 plan for the same exact data package if you (like me) don't have anything remotely resembling steady 3G access?

Juice

Aristotlekh said:
Wait, holy shit.

For $30 you don't even get text messages?

You have to pay $15 a month more than the iPhone 1.0 plan for the same exact data package if you (like me) don't have anything remotely resembling steady 3G access?

And possibly $15 MORE to use Exchange.

ckeur

I realllllly want to know how much the plans are and the minutes for each plan. I think I need around 800-900 minutes a month, and wondering how much this is going to put me back.

Juice

scola said:
I thought that exchange support was built into the phone and that corporate accounts are what cost 15$ more ?

If I interpreted it correctly, the AT&T memo told staff to price the data plan if it was for personal use only at $30, but that if they were going to use it for business, to charge them $45.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Juice said:
And possibly $15 MORE to use Exchange.

Wrong.

Business plans have nothing to do with Exchange functionality, don't spread FUD whether you mean to or not. Business plans cost more for 2 reasons: corporate users consume more data than consumers on average and businesses are willing to pay it.

There is no middleman to use Exchange with the iPhone; if you have credentials for an Exchange server your phone can connect. There is no BES or NOC in Canada to worry about.

Mason

If 3G isn't available in your area, do you still have to pay for the 3G plan with the 3G iPhone or can you get the old iPhone plan? Or what if you just want to pay for the cheaper plan and forgo 3G until some later date?

mjfor40

I'm eBaying my unlocked/jailbroken iPhone so I can use the $ towards the new one that will be unlocked/jailbroken (at some point I assume).

How do I get rid of EVERYTHING on my iPhone so my contacts, texts, photos etc are not on the iPhone when I ship to China or wherever :lol

Matix

Since Apple is still so absorb with white I-Accessories, can anyone recommend me some decent iPhone cradle/docking stations (that are in black)? Also is it possible for these type of add-ons to be compatible with the iPhone-3G?

Juice

Mason said:
If 3G isn't available in your area, do you still have to pay for the 3G plan with the 3G iPhone or can you get the old iPhone plan? Or what if you just want to pay for the cheaper plan and forgo 3G until some later date?

I believe the leaked memo indicated that as of now it would be the same price, regardless of whether service was available in the area.

SuperPac

So how easy is it going to be to set up an Exchange account within the iPhone's settings? What information would I theoretically need to set this up, and would I have to get it from my corporate IT or would it be information that would be readily lookupable in Entourage, etc.?

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
So how easy is it going to be to set up an Exchange account within the iPhone's settings? What information would I theoretically need to set this up, and would I have to get it from my corporate IT or would it be information that would be readily lookupable in Entourage, etc.?

Email Address
Username
Password
Email server would have to be Exchange 2007 and have ActiveSync turned on for your account

Dazzla

Is it an Exchange 2007 exclusive feature?

We run 2003 at work, dunno how I'd persuade the boss to let me buy 2007 just cause of iPhone remote access...

tralfazz

Dazzla said:

We run 2003 at work, dunno how I'd persuade the boss to let me buy 2007 just cause of iPhone remote access...

I thought I remebered seeing the PDF stating that 2003 and 2007 would be compatible, but don't hold me to it. I'm still unsure of the data plan pricing. Do I have to pay the extra money if we have our own exchange servers?

Enzom21

http://gizmodo.com/5016912/ineligible-att-customers-need-to-pay-full-price-for-iphone-3g
Gizmodo said:
AT&T just gave us new details on how their upgrading plans will work for the iPhone 3G. The company is treating the iPhone 3G pretty much just like any other phone in that people who are ineligible for upgrades have to pay the full, unsubsidized price for the phone. People who qualify for upgrade status and people who have an original iPhone are free to upgrade at the $199/$299 price set by Apple. AT&T hasn't specified what the unsubsidized price is, so we'll update when we know more. Here's how you know if you're eligible.

DaCocoBrova

Cont.

AT&T Cell Phone Upgrade
Am I Eligible for an AT&T Cell Phone Upgrade?
Not all Cingular/AT&T customers may qualify for a cell phone upgrade. At this time, AT&T Mobility allows these customers to upgrade with no upgrade fee when they commit to a new 2-year contract:

AT&T customers who have had 24 months of cell phone service since activation of their cell phone or since their last phone upgrade.
Certain AT&T customers may be eligible for a cell phone upgrade even if they have been in their current plan for less than two years (24 months), if they commit to a new 2-year contract and meet these eligibility requirements:

Customer has had a standard calling plan plus data services costing at least $68.99 a month but no more than $98.99 a month, and who has been in contract (and not had a phone upgrade) for 21 months or more,
or
Customer has had a standard calling plan plus data services costing $99 a month or more, and who has been in contract (and not upgraded) in the last 12 months.
A customer with a calling plan and data services of less than $69 who is 21 to 23 months into contract may upgrade for a fee and a commitment of an additional two-year service contract extension. No upgrade fee is assessed for any customers who are on a month-to-month agreement.

Note that AT&T upgrade eligibility may be further limited based on customer’s usage history, payment record, previous phone replacement, etc. Upgrade eligibility is solely determined by AT&T Mobility at its discretion.

mjfor40

Can someone confirm that I do not need to be an AT&T customer to buy the new iPhone? Can I just walk into the Apple store like I did several months back and buy a new iPhone without a contract? (assuming the phone will be cracked to use with T-Mobile)

LCfiner

mjfor40 said:
Can someone confirm that I do not need to be an AT&T customer to buy the new iPhone? Can I just walk into the Apple store like I did several months back and buy a new iPhone without a contract? (assuming the phone will be cracked to use with T-Mobile)

Right now it's looking like a contract will need to be signed on the spot. There is some conflicting reports concerning whether the phone will actually be activated in store or if you can do it at home.

But if you sign the contract in store and then don't activate at home there will be a hefty cancellation fee (not yet detailed).

bottom line: if you MUST have an unlocked iphone, the 1st gen model is the how to do it. time will tell what happens with unlocked 3G iPhones

Phoenix

Dazzla said:

At WWDC it was stated that Exchange 2007 would be required. Whether or not t actually is depends on Microsoft.

Matix

Matix said:
Since Apple is still so absorb with white I-Accessories, can anyone recommend me some decent iPhone cradle/docking stations (that are in black)? Also is it possible for these type of add-ons to be compatible with the iPhone-3G?

I'm assuming no one has an answer for this question?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
anyword yet on whether government etc. employee discounts will qualifynow that the revenue sharing portions are gone?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Does anyone know if you can buy the 3G iPhone, get the $40 regular service per month fee and get the $20 Edge unlimited internet data plan without getting the $30 3G plan? Basically, I'd like the hardware upgrade (more space, GPS, flush headphone jack), but don't want the $10 more per month that 3G provides, since the extra cost doesn't seem worth it. I have wi-fi at home, and don't use my phone for directions/maps/browsing to the point I want to spend the extra cash.

Futureman

Eggo said:
Does anyone know if you can buy the 3G iPhone, get the $40 regular service per month fee and get the $20 Edge unlimited internet data plan without getting the $30 3G plan? Basically, I'd like the hardware upgrade (more space, GPS, flush headphone jack), but don't want the $10 more per month that 3G provides, since the extra cost doesn't seem worth it. I have wi-fi at home, and don't use my phone for directions/maps/browsing to the point I want to spend the extra cash.

DOUBT IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom