• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
ok. who is this.
6hX3i.png

Fucking lurkers.

SeanR1221

i still don't understand how they were able to do it in the first place.

It's two factors.

The original iPhone was a huge game changer and I'm sure Apple put AT&T in their place with updates as part of the exclusive agreement.

Once it got to Verizon it was *the* phone to have. I'm sure they didn't mind folding either.

hwalker84

Sounds like hwalker.

Also apple being able to put out updates at will is a humongous advantage and a legitimate selling point and bragging right for fanboys.

Lol it's not me though. I'm hwalker84 on all sites.

AT&T is really pissing me off. While I totally support WP7 over the iPhone I truly miss how Apple has all the carriers by the balls when it comes down to updates. If Microsoft can get updates out like their desktop OS's for WP8 I'd be in heaven.

Looks like you guys made it in onto a Verge article:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/24/2898886/nokia-lumia-900-att-visual-voicemail

As we fully expected, the comments on our recent post about AT&T's apparent decision to not push out the lastest bugfix version of Windows Phone, 8107, have expressed a good deal of unhappiness. However, one comment in particular caught our eye, from scrapplejoe, which points out a thread at neogaf suggesting Visual Voicemail is present on the Lumia 900.

Sordid

My battery seems much better after removing Skype, cheers for the suggestion steelyuhas :*)

Has anyone had a go of the Lumia 710 yet? I impulse bought a white/fuchsia one for my fiancé's birthday and I'm hoping it's not rubbish :s I was hoping to get her a Cyan or Magenta 800 but they're bloody expensive to buy unlocked!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
well looks like wer finally famous. time to close this thread and go home guys. gotta end on a high note.

unknown soldier kept saying we'd never amount to nothing. We showed him!

Also, AT&T not putting out that keyboard fix is frickin slimy. Besides the keyboard fix, which is absolutely crucial (even Thurrott and Foley were complaining about it last week on WW), there are security fixes as well.

So frustrating to see the leverage Apple has, but its important to note that a very big reason Apple is able to push out those updates is that they take responsibility for them. They do tech support at Apple stores, online, and by phone for iPhones. Neither MS nor the OEMs want to take full responsibility for the tech support aspect of pushing out updates, leaving AT&T holding the bag if an update is screwed up.

For this update situation to be resolved, MS needs to step up and say they will take care of software support for ALL Windows Phone, and provide service through their stores and website, and have phone support personnel available, plus serve as a liaison between OEM's and customers by accepting bricked phones etc. That's a HUGE commitment, and they won't do it, so we are stuck at the mercy of AT&T, the only one currently responsible for the front lines of customer support. It's easy to blame the carriers, but I'm sure they already spend a ton of money handling returns and customer support for the phone makers and Google/MS/Apple, so they have to be very careful about willy-nilly just putting out every update MS sends down. If something goes terribly wrong, they are screwed in a major way. So they have to test EVERY update, and beyond that, they have to test updates for a ton of Android phones. It's a numbers game, and Apple has the advantage in that they keep their model count low and can guarantee customer support, freeing at&t from that burden and allowing for at-will updates.

unknown soldier kept saying we'd never amount to nothing. We showed him!

Showed me what? That one day you too could be cross-referenced by another website? I guess you've reached the height of your e-fame! Time to retire to the Bahamas and live by the ocean for the rest of your life!

I'll bring the case of Corona.

Magni

So why does Microsoft have to go through the networks for updates? Why couldn't they push them through WiFi/Zune and circumvent the carriers?

kehs

Banned
So why does Microsoft have to go through the networks for updates? Why couldn't they push them through WiFi/Zune and circumvent the carriers?

Because any phone you get through a carrier isn't an independent phone, it's a carrier commissioned phone.

All of these phones with carrier branding on them, are carrier phones, not independent MFG phones.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Because regardless of HOW consumers get the updates, the carriers are the initial and sometimes primary tech support for phones if the update screws something up. This is why the carriers don't allow MS/Google to release the updates themselves. That said, MS has been good about "leaking" the updates, and the process of updating your phone to 8107 is pretty simple if you are so inclined. I did it earlier in the week, very easy and quick. Of course, YMMV and none of it is officially endorsed.

edit: copernicus is also correct, my post above refers specifically to the US but also to any carrier-branded phone.

Circle T

Wow, I had no idea this thread would spread itself across the web like it did. I feel kind of bad, since I'm so WP7 illiterate, and all that. Wish I could have been more help.

FWIW, after the first couple days, both of the managers who are now using the 900s are really starting to like it. One is a big iOS user, the other Android. Other than the lack of some of their fav apps, they got right up to speed.

I'll check back in with them Monday when I'm back in the office, so if you have any more questions, I'll find out then.

PG2G

It's unfortunate that AT&T is the only carrier with decent Windows Phones. That should change with Windows Phone 8, and I might consider jumping ship if that's the case.

freshair

How does GroupMe work?
I installed it and it asked my phone number. Is all the chatting done via text? Not the internet?

Once you create a group, it assigns you a group phone number. For smRt phone users, you have the option of receiving and sending of these group texts via sms or via push through the app (uses only data).

Pretty nifty for my groups communication.

So yeah, it uses your phone number, but you choose to do chatting via your choice.

gcubed

My biggest turn off on Android really is the updating process, i was holding hope MS would change that, but they still in turn have no hold over US carriers. If IOS wasn't so stale i would consider it, but i just can't.

When MS stops screwing around and realizes they have a much better shot at succeeding by buying Nokia and dumping 3rd parties they can take on the tech support and troubleshooting of their phones and offer an update process like Apple.

Magni

My biggest turn off on Android really is the updating process, i was holding hope MS would change that, but they still in turn have no hold over US carriers. If IOS wasn't so stale i would consider it, but i just can't.

When MS stops screwing around and realizes they have a much better shot at succeeding by buying Nokia and dumping 3rd parties they can take on the tech support and troubleshooting of their phones and offer an update process like Apple.

I was against MS buying Nokia, but the more we go and the more laziness we see from everyone bar Nokia, and the less I'm against it. I'm waiting to see what Samsung, HTC, and co do with Apollo before completely giving up on them in the WP scene though.

Blackhead

Redarse
I was against MS buying Nokia, but the more we go and the more laziness we see from everyone bar Nokia, and the less I'm against it. I'm waiting to see what Samsung, HTC, and co do with Apollo before completely giving up on them in the WP scene though.

that's kinda unfair imo. Samsung had the best Mango phone at launch and up til now it's really only missing out on LTE. HTC has been right there keeping pace with Nokia and releasing new versions every other month. Sure the phones are rehashes of their previous devices on other platforms but then technically so is Lumia series. Samsung and HTC haven't matched the design quality of the Lumia series nor provided awesome apps like Nokia Drive but that's not due to laziness. Nokia is simply much advanced than almost all other smartphone companies at those design and platform apps—Apple still hasn't provided anything like Drive for iOS either. I can fault Samsung, HTC and co for not really putting any advertising behind their WP7 devices like Nokia (albeit quite understandable) and for only releasing candy bar phones (inexcusable IMO). Those two problems aside Samsung, HTC and co have largely kept their side of the bargain.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
that's kinda unfair imo. Samsung had the best Mango phone at launch and up til now it's really only missing out on LTE. HTC has been right there keeping pace with Nokia and releasing new versions every other month. Sure the phones are rehashes of their previous devices on other platforms but then technically so is Lumia series. Samsung and HTC haven't matched the design quality of the Lumia series nor provided awesome apps like Nokia Drive but that's not due to laziness. Nokia is simply much advanced than almost all other smartphone companies at those design and platform apps—Apple still hasn't provided anything like Drive for iOS either. I can fault Samsung, HTC and co for not really putting any advertising behind their WP7 devices like Nokia (albeit quite understandable) and for only releasing candy bar phones (inexcusable IMO). Those two problems aside Samsung, HTC and co have largely kept their side of the bargain.

i agree that the nokia drive thing is kinda unfair for samsung and htc but its kinda funny seeing samsung going from "should buy" of WP7 to "could buy" due to nokia. the design alone makes nokia so much better, and samsung has no one to blame but them selfs due to their laziness in design. but they prob don't care, droid seems to be their sole focus atm.

Blackhead

Redarse
Samsung phones outselling iphones says otherwise.

I think he meant was that the the Samsung Android phones have the same design language as the Samsung WPs. Is the Samsung Focus S worse than the Samsung Galaxy S II? I don't think so... Neither of them is as well designed as the Lumia series but that's simply where Nokia's strengths lie—even Apple only caught up with high end Nokia phones with the iPhone 4/4S design and I personally prefer the Lumia—it doesn't mean Samsung is being lazy. Samsung's strengths are in the components (the display, the processor etc) and they can't showcase those on a Windows phone. We're hearing rumors that Samsung is going to kick it up a notch with Galaxy S III series design-wise. HTC is doing interesting stuff with their new Android One line. If they don't bring the same care to their Apollo windows phone handsets then, yes, I'd start complaining.

Somewhat related note: The HTC Rader and Samsung Focus flash are better than all Nokia's lowend WP, yes or no?

eastmen

Banned
I'm on sprint and my epic 4g is slowly dieing but i can't upgrade till the fall. Should I try to ride it out or is the arrive a decent phone ?

kehs

Banned
I think he meant was that the the Samsung Android phones have the same design language as the Samsung WPs. Is the Samsung Focus S worse than the Samsung Galaxy S II? I don't think so... Neither of them is as well designed as the Lumia series but that's simply where Nokia's strengths lie—even Apple only caught up with high end Nokia phones with the iPhone 4/4S design and I personally prefer the Lumia—it doesn't mean Samsung is being lazy. Samsung's strengths are in the components (the display, the processor etc) and they can't showcase those on a Windows phone. We're hearing rumors that Samsung is going to kick it up a notch with Galaxy S III series design-wise. HTC is doing interesting stuff with their new Android One line. If they don't bring the same care to their Apollo windows phone handsets then, yes, I'd start complaining.

Somewhat related note: The HTC Rader and Samsung Focus flash are better than all Nokia's lowend WP, yes or no?

I'd have to give a vehement yes, to the Focus S being worse than the GSII. There's no question. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I've always loved Nokia's designs, I'm currently considering dropping my GN for an N9.

Samnsung has, however, from a design standpoint positioned themselves everywhere from the low end to the high end regardless of OS. That much can't be denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom