• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

I'm in day one. Never thought I'd be saying that about a Sonic game but credit where it's due. Mania looks genuinely fantastic. Not even a Sonic fan tbh but the marketing for this game has been outstanding. Here's hoping it's out on midnight.

It's pretty damn cool they've inspired so much confidence in the product despite only showing 2 new levels and a handful of redesigned ones. I'm happy they took that approach, as opposed to showing everything before release ala Generations. Will make avoiding reviews tomorrow a bit more difficult... but hopefully worth it when I get the game Tuesday :)

JDHarbs

I'm staying strong and waiting for impressions, but that pre-order button looks so shiny.

dxQZXYF

Camjo-Z

It's extremely unlikely considering it's not first-party but a midnight release for this on Switch would be great, otherwise I probably won't be able to play it until Wednesday D:

I'm staying strong and waiting for impressions, but that pre-order button looks so shiny.

To be honest, I'm not sure if this is something you really need impressions/reviews for. If you enjoy the original Sonic games back on Genesis, then I think you should wound up liking this one just fine.

Taxman and his crew know their stuff. The Retro Engine is an amazing replica of the physics and general feel of the Genesis games, so I'm sure you don't need to worry about another Sonic 4 fiasco, lol.

Taxman and his crew know their stuff. The Retro Engine is an amazing replica of the physics and general feel of the Genesis games, so I'm sure you don't need to worry about another Sonic 4 fiasco, lol.

IMO Taxman's Sonic CD feels much better than any of the classic Sonic games. Perhaps his remakes of Sonic 1, 2, and 3 aren't quite up to snuff; I have not played them, but if this game controls anything like the rerelease of CD it will be an even better game than the original trilogy, IMO.

Fireblend

Banned
Do we know if Sonic Mania releases at midnight (Tuesday ofc) on the eshop?

I don't think we know. I'm crossing my fingers that it does, but I don't know what makes a game qualify for midnight release :p it seems to be a coin toss except for Nintendo's own titles.

IMO Taxman's Sonic CD feels much better than any of the classic Sonic games. Perhaps his remakes of Sonic 1, 2, and 3 aren't quite up to snuff; I have not played them, but if this game controls anything like the rerelease of CD it will be an even better game than the original trilogy, IMO.

Yeah, his Sonic CD remake/remaster is absolutely incredible. For me, it's the best Sonic game ever made. Hopefully that changes on Tuesday.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*waits for Amazon to ship LE*

If it matters, trophies/achievements are up, but do be warned that the icons & part of the descriptions/names can spoil what zones are returning/being added (as there's zone-specific achievements), so huge spoiler warning if you want to go in fresh.

Now I just wish I could get the soundtrack on CD so I can listen to it in my car.

Sonic 3 & K didn't even get a remake, silly. And it most likely never will due to some legal issues with the music that SEGA won't address.

It's pretty damn cool they've inspired so much confidence in the product despite only showing 2 new levels and a handful of redesigned ones. I'm happy they took that approach, as opposed to showing everything before release ala Generations. Will make avoiding reviews tomorrow a bit more difficult... but hopefully worth it when I get the game Tuesday :)

For real. I'm usually cynical when it comes to trailers and marketing. When the Sonic YouTube page started uploading songs, that's when they got me.

23qwerty

the preorder avatars on ps4 are pretty nice, can't use the themes yet though, wonder how they look.. hopefully they're dynamic

xboxster

Did anyone else preorder Switch CE through Amazon and it is saying it won't arrive till Thursday? (And hasn't shipped yet)

I did, I even talked to an Amazon rep earlier because I was worried about it, and they said not to worry.

Ugh, my two days off this week are Tuesday/Wednesday, and I'm still really worried about not getting my game from Amazon until Thursday. I need this game in my hands STAT!

Can anyone else confirm that the Switch CE won't come from Amazon until Thursday? That's what my email says.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So does anyone know if this is more sonic 2 or sonic 3? Or a mix of both?
Based on the act structure (2 acts, with a mini-boss at act 1 & a boss at act 2) & how the characters each have unique controls (i.e. Tails can fly & Knuckles can climb), I would say Sonic 3, unless you mean in a different way.

Plus they confirmed that Blue Sphere is the bonus stage for the checkpoint posts, though they don't give you emeralds upon completing them now, that's for the new special stage.

Seanlole

i've never been so exited for a sonic game before

As i grew up with nintendo systems, i only had the chance to play the first sonic games in the early 2000's, when sonic adventure 2 was the newest sonic game.

Game by game i felt dissapointed until generations with the 2d sections. It was good, but lacks some of the original 2d feel.

But now, i can finally play a proper 2d sonic game and i only think PLEASE BE GOOD

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I got my preorder queued up on my Xbox! Going to be staying up late tomorrow to see if it unlocks midnight east coast time (west coast here).

Lord, I hope there is some strange geometric limbo level like in the opening animation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow. No platinum (or even gold) trophies for the PS4 version.
I can't help but get a laugh that NIGHT TRAP gets a platinum & more trophies (29 total) compared to Sonic Mania (18).

Oh well, at least for the most part, they're rather doable it seems, aside from maybe getting gold on all the blue sphere levels which will probably be the hardest one.

I feel like the lyrics to this spectacular song from Sonic R fit well with this game's release.

Sometimes I ask myself
What am I doin' here?
I think of all the reasons
But it's still not clear

I look at places to go
There's nothin' near
So take me away from this
'cause this place I'll hardly miss

So take me back in time
To another world
When you can be mine
We don't have to worry

When you're by my side
There's nothin' I don't know
There's nothin' to decide
Apart from where we want to go

What am I doin' now
By comin' back for more?
Is it me
Or have I been here before?

I want to go somewhere
That we can explore
Just take me away from here
To somewhere that's nowhere near

So take me back in time
To another world
When you can be mine
We don't have to worry
When you're by my side

Take me there
Take me anywhere
You want to go

To a place that we both know
So take me...
So take me...
So take me...
So take me back in time
To another world
Back in time...
So take me...
So take me back in time...
Back in time...
Back in time...

I feel like the lyrics to this spectacular song from Sonic R fit well with this game's release.

Sometimes I ask myself
What am I doin' here?
But it's still not clear

I look at places to go
There's nothin' near

So take me back in time
To another world
When you can be mine
We don't have to worry

When you're by my side

What am I doin' now
By comin' back for more?
Is it me

I want to go somewhere
That we can explore

So take me back in time
To another world
When you can be mine
We don't have to worry
When you're by my side

Take me there
Take me anywhere
You want to go

So take me...
So take me...
So take me...
So take me back in time
To another world
Back in time...
So take me...
Back in time...
Back in time...

"You're My Hero" from Sonic 3D Blast on Saturn also fits pretty well, as shown by Sciz's tribute to Taxman and Stealth.

G0523

It's here! It's finally (almost) here! We've all been waiting for a little over a year for this game and it will be glorious! The hype for this game is unlike any other Sonic game in recent memory. Tuesday, August 15 will be a glorious day for us all.

RK128

Sometimes I ask myself
What am I doin' here?
But it's still not clear

I look at places to go
There's nothin' near

So take me back in time
To another world
When you can be mine
We don't have to worry

When you're by my side

What am I doin' now
By comin' back for more?
Is it me

I want to go somewhere
That we can explore

So take me back in time
To another world
When you can be mine
We don't have to worry
When you're by my side

Take me there
Take me anywhere
You want to go

So take me...
So take me...
So take me...
So take me back in time
To another world
Back in time...
So take me...
Back in time...
Back in time...

Is it wrong when I teared up listening to this track? I mean...it just is so fitting. Sonic R's OST is amazing and part of me wanted Sonic Mania to have one of it's courses as a full-on zone. Imagine a Tee Loops remix of 'Back in Time' or 'Super Sonic Racing'? Would be amazing.

Silvawuff

It's going to be Saturday morning again. I'll be in my pajamas with a bowl of half-soggy Lucky Charms at my side while the gentle chime of rings echoes throughout my living room. It was a safer time, a happier time. The last two decades were full of false promises and lost hope. But at last, friends, we are here.

Unless you're playing this on PC like me and have to wait two more weeks...

Top Bottom